so close, but I'm farsighted
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
for 1000 nights i've been a restless soul
Ronin had only been in jail a handful of days, but it felt like weeks. Every night that Remi had to walk home alone was like sandpaper on an already raw wound, falling asleep alone (or more accurately, simply rolling over endlessly until the sun rose) was a cruel cousin to water-torture. Despite all of this the alchemist looked forward to the times he'd carved out to see his husband more than anything else, no matter the hurt or the endlessly dwindling grains of sand in his hourglass.

Today, Remi had brought bread from the bakery, cured meat, a new type of wine he'd been working on, and a game he'd been taught recently called dominoes. He wasn't sure he actually understood the words, but the game wasn't about the game anyways; it was about spending time with Ronin in a way that didn't make it seem as if the king was in jail.

As he entered, Remi stomped his boots to shed some of the snow, shaking his head as well so that his curls wouldn't be sopping wet. "It is really coming down out there." He said with as much cheer as he could muster in the grey lifeless place he'd once again come to.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
there is always hope
"Mm... If only snow made a sound, that I could hear it as well."

Ronin's voice was, for a miracle, clear as a bell as it rang out towards Remi. Whilst the days that his husband had visited had been hit and miss, the ex-captain oscillating wildly between seething-blight rage, mournful husband and exhausted and dying, today seemed markedly different. Ronin sounded as though he'd had enough water to drink, and more than a couple hours of sleep.

Indeed, whilst he couldn't look much worse in terms of his appearance, Ronin was waiting for his husband at the edge of the bars, having pulled a few blankets and pillows up so he could lay and comfortably wait for Remi's arrival. He shifted to sit himself up at the sound of boots and the rustling of bags, Ronin rubbing at his eyes - eyes that shone blue through the darkness. "Has anything changed, with the roses?" he asked. "I feel different."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"You should hear it on our roof." Remi said, taking off his jacket and scarf and hanging them up. Pausing, he decided to step out of his boots as well. He'd just leave a puddle before Ronin's cell if he kept them on much longer. Ruffling a hand through his curls to remove the lingering moisture, the alchemist grabbed a chair and slid it towards the bars of the cell with his basket in hand.

Raising a brow at not only the sight of his husband but his question, the alchemist paused both skeptically and thoughtfully. "You have tried that one before." He said pointedly, having heard many an excuse from Ronin's blighted alter-ego to try and get out of jail. "But no, not that I know of." Though that did not necessarily mean much, given just how absurdly little there was to properly go on in terms of the roses and potential next steps.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
there is always hope
"That would be nice," Ronin agreed at the sound of the snow, smiling softly to himself and rubbing at the back of his head - an instant regret, given the state of his hair. He lit up - literally - as Remi drew his chair up closer, soft starlight just about setting his skin aglow, the ex-captain offering his husband a warm and dozy sort of smile.

"Ah... Yeah, I suppose that is true," he agreed about having tried to trick and deceive Remi in the past. He absolutely had done as much, so there was no way about it. "I don't expect you to open the doors on my word alone, though. Or at all. I just... I do feel a little better, Remi..."

His tone was concerned rather than elated - would he get better before death? Was it one of those occasions where he showed signs of improvement, and that was precisely what signalled the end? A worrying thought. "...What have you got with you today?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Oh." Remi half-hummed with delighted surprise. "You have not done that for a while." He said of the soft shine alighting from his husband. Unable to do anything else than smile with unfettered affection, he was caught tenuously between his desire to believe any and every word from his husband's lips, and the cleverness of the blighted monster lingering below the surface.

"Well, I am glad to hear it." The alchemist said through a far-too adoring smile, before glancing down at his basket. "Ahh, well. A lavender honey cake from Amalia, wine to go with—though if she thought I brought it because the cake was dry she'd have my head, so this stays between us—and a new game I just learned."

Glancing up with a boyish smile, he tilted his head softly as he gazed at Ronin. Indeed there seemed to be genuine colour in the king's cheeks and proper blue in his eyes. "What would you like to start with?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
there is always hope
"Huh...?" Ronin blinked up at his husband with an innocent and open smile of hello, unsure at first what 'that' he was referring to. Then, of course, he realised that he was softly lighting the jail cell all by himself, and a soft laugh escaped him that, of course, only made him shine more brightly. "I guess I must just be pleased to see you," he said.

Scooching closer in order to see better what Remi had brought with him, Ronin was uncharacteristically careful not to get too near the chair, lest his husband think he was trying to snake an arm out through the bars or anything appropriately nefarious. He listened with rapt attention to the list of items, a grin creeping over his face as he leant his head against the bars.

"Well," he said. "Games are games, and as much as I adore Amalia's baking... you made the wine. And so that makes it the most important by far. So we'll start there, don't you think?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Oh, I suppose all those other times you were just pretending to be pleased to see me, then?" Remi quipped back, his smile easy and on the surface in a way that it hadn't for the past few days. Whatever it was Ronin thought was different, skeptical or no, something in the alchemist felt it Too.

Biting the inside of his lip, Remi tried not to look too surprised or hopeful. Normally it took coaxing to get anything into Ronin, the blighted beast within seeming not to mind at all whether its host withered or was left wanting. "I added some juniper to the container I let it sit in." The alchemist explained, pouring them each a small amount...and then opting, perhaps optimistically, for a bit more.

Normally Remi used magic to transfer things through the bars to Ronin, but...on the off chance that perhaps the hunter really was in control of himself now, the alchemist risked it and offered the glass through to Ronin directly.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
there is always hope
"Or maybe I was just conserving my energy all those other times, so I could properly be pleased to see you. Whatever you're doing must be working though, because here I am all glowy like a firefly." Ronin smiled, watching as Remi poured them both out a small glass of wine, the hunter leaning his cheek against the bars. "I have no idea what that means," he said adoringly about Remi's juniper, imagining it would affect the taste but having no idea what his husband had actually been aiming for.

The hand reached through the bars to him and there it was, for a second - that raging, seething darkness, begging him to reach out, to grab, twist, snap and drag, and then... and then--

Ronin gently took the offered glass from his husband, his breath hitching a little, the colour draining from his cheeks... but he hadn't done it. He hadn't let the blight out. As a celebration (and it really fucking was), the hunter smiled and raised the cup in a toast, before taking an experimental sip. "Oooh, it's very... um. Winey."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
The alchemist shot Ronin a haughtily skeptical look. "Fine. I think I prefer that answer to the alternative." He chuckled wryly, unable to tear his eyes off of his husband. The starlight seemed finally able to brush away the darkness that lingered around his eyes and in his movements, and therein was the man that Remi had fallen in love with. Therein was his star, fallen or otherwise.

"It means I did something to make it taste more wintery." Remi huffed waving a hand and playfully rolling his eyes. Like anyone with animals knows, to act with concern only invites that which you were concerned about. So as Ronin reached for the glass, Remi held it out without seemingly an ounce of concern. That was what he meant to project anyways. Even so, as the king took it without so much as a twitch, Remi's grin widened immediately. "My, so polite today." He chuckled under his breath.

"Winey?" Remi protested, before taking a sip himself. Oh. It did taste rather winey. Hmm. Well, more experimentation needed. "Yes well, I do not see anyone else bringing you wine, winey or otherwise, so you are welcome."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
there is always hope
"You and me both. So as far as my sudden starlight is concerned, what I just said is gospel, okay?" Ronin winked at Remi, seeming absurdly proud of his glowy parlour trick - it had been so long since he'd seen it himself, after all. Raising an eyebrow at the explanation - to make the wine more wintery - Ronin gave the other man an honest shrug. As far as he was concerned what Remi did to brew his teas and wines was a magic all of its very own. He was more interested in the tasting, personally.

"Winey," he repeated, choosing not to comment on his politeness, lest it invite a 'rude' spell from the blight within him. "Then again, Remi, my senses are ruined lately. It probably tastes perfect." Even if the other man didn't think so.

Sipping again at his drink, soon enough the small glass was empty and Ronin was offering it back through the bars for more. "Go on then. Cake and wine and games. It must be my birthday or something."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"When is it not?" Remi said, rolling his eyes but grinning nonetheless. In that moment, joyful and witty as he normally was, Ronin was as handsome as he'd ever been. Unkempt and unwashed hair, earthy smell, dirty clothes, the lot of it.

Waving a hand away, Remi covered his smile with his glass as he took another deep swallow. Watching the glass come back through the bars with that same quietly confident look as before, Remi let Ronin hold it this time, as he refilled it, adding more to his own as well. "You just had a birthday, but nice try. Though I suppose as king you could just declare your birthday to be whenever you want. I imagine you would get old very fast then." He added with a wink.

Pulling out the cake, presliced (knowing normally not to bring knives into the jail), he frowned looking down. "Oh? I know your senses are off, but..does this smell funny?" So saying he held the cake up to the bars for his husband to sniff.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
there is always hope
"Oh, I think we can both remember a few times when it's not," Ronin said with a smirk, leaning casually against the bars now and feeling pleasantly warmed through from the wine. It was the first time he could remember feeling properly warm in some time - and Remi's presence definitely helped things along, too.

As his glass was refilled, it was with visible pride that Ronin managed to get it back through the bars without his hands shaking, the hunter sitting up again so he could enjoy it. After all this time out in the woods, wine was definitely a better taste than old blood.

"I did not just have a birthday. It was like two seasons ago," Ronin objected with a snort, doing his best to look haughty about the comment (it didn't really work, given that he currently looked feral). "Either way, I can always find time to appreciate cake."

As it was offered out for him to sniff, the ex-captain shot his husband a suspicious look. "If you smoosh this in my face I might cry. I'm starving," he warned, before leaning in to smell the cake. Lavender and honey, just as Remi had said, and its sweetness was so jarring to the dank stench of the jail that Ronin didn't quite know what to do with it. "It smells like cake," he said helpfully.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Love would always win out when it came to Remi, and yet the scientifically inclined part of his mind wanted to note down everything he was observing. The brightness in Ronin's eyes, the literal glow, the lack of shake in his hands, the pleasant demeanor. Perhaps even a more palatable smell though it was hard to know given the king hadn't bathed in weeks. Still, much as Remi's mind noted these things, his heart was entirely consumed with joy at having even a fraction of his husband's proper attention.

"My sincere apologies your highness." Remi drawled with an adoring roll of his eyes. "You can be sure it will not happen again." If Ronin lived, he could have a birthday every week of his life for all the alchemist cared. Every day past Safrin's timeline was cause for celebration after all.

With a disappointed huff Remi twitched his lips. "That is absolutely what I was going to do. How dare you ruin my surprise. And on your birthday too." He softly tsked under his breath, though his widening smile erased any possible reading of his expression that would indicate he was actually upset. The ruse ruined, Remi pulled the cake back from the bars, but instead of cutting his husband a slice, instead the alchemist scooped up a healthy dollop of frosting onto his finger, holding it up thoughtfully towards Ronin. Whether it was a test or a romantic gesture was unclear, but holding it out (and holding his breath as well to see if his finger would remain intact), Remi offered the king a boyish smile as he pushed his hand through the bars.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
there is always hope
Sipping at the wine now that his cup was refilled, Ronin shot Remi a playfully reproachful look through the bars of the cell. "Your highness?" he drawled right back. "Give over, would you." Snorting, he set his cup down and sat up a little better once Remi took the cake back; Ronin seemed unashamedly smug to have caught the other man out before he could get a face full of cake. "On my birthday, too," he agreed. "As if I wasn't going to see through your ruse. I know you, Remi," he said, a mischievous twinkle in his eye.

And so, as the finger covered in frosting was offered through the bars, Ronin raised an eyebrow at his husband and slowly reached out, cupping the alchemist's hand in his own. Leaning in to lick it away, perhaps the hunter was overly enthusiastic about it... or maybe it was just very good cake. Who could know?

Either way, with a hot mouth and a very interested tongue, Ronin took his sweet time licking and sucking and ensuring that every last bit of frosting was cleaned away - only then did he release his husband, smirking up at him. "Is that it?" he asked.