a long cold walk after midnight
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
aúsi, nos paramas // & still we stand
The flight from the shrine in the Greatwood to Roana's townhome was not a particularly short one, and yet it felt as though it was over in the blink of an eye. That likely had more to do with the unwieldy and rampant thoughts bristling through his mind than the actual speed at which he and Amalia flew.

This type of raw anger was so foreign to Remi that it made him feel nauseous and uncertain, though his predatory shifts were keen to remind him that the tearing of flesh, the smell and taste of blood, and the breaking of bones would go far to alleviate his stress. The scariest part of all was that he knew they were right. For a time, at least. But the alchemist was not blighted; there was no excuse for his behaviour. And so as he flew he counselled himself to be restrained, to keep his anger in check, to not cause harm.

It was a mantra unlike any he'd ever needed before.

Landing on Roana's doorstep, Remi merely glanced behind him to offer a quick nod to Amalia, before knocking loudly on the door. "Roana. It is Remi and Amalia. I would speak with you." Then, through teeth threatening to turn into fangs he added, "Now."

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia

stop thinking so much

Never before has she seen Remi angry.

It is a strange and foreign thing, a little bit frightening for her knowledge of how much power her friend can wield. She is angry, too, angry and afraid, but her wrath is tempered for the moment, outshone by the radiance of his.

As they land upon Roana's doorstep Amalia takes a moment to breathe in deeply, asking Jyoti to stay close lest her starlight be needed in the difficult trial ahead. She has broken her promise, has told the secret, but Roana broke it first by attacking Sam, and Amalia feels no guilt at the prospect of prevention deaths.

She stands behind her friend in silence as he knocks firmly upon the door. Gently she reaches out to touch Remi's shoulder before dropping her hand back down to her side, dark eyes hard as she waits for an answer, dread boiling deep inside her gut.

you're breaking your own heart

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Roana had no idea the storm that was coming to her home that afternoon. She had spent the morning with her boys, who had enjoyed frolicking wrestling in the Deepfrost snow. Now they were a whir of excitement inside, preparing treats and little toys to fill Ludo’s puzzle box with. Cormac and Jax were carefully rolling cake crumbs into balls with frosting, stripped down to just their pants given the messy nature of the task. Rhett was carefully resetting the puzzle box, doing his best to come up with a particularly tricky code this time.

The knock though had all tasks set aside as the boys hurried behind their mother to see who was at the door. Of course, the anger in the tone that was lost on them was keenly heard by Ro, and her eyes narrowed. ”Stay back, boys, don’t crowd the door.” she said in a commanding tone. And so the three stood back, standing on their tiptoes to try and see around her as she opened the door. Seeing Amalia and Remi there hadn’t been what she expected, however. ”Remi. Amalia. Come in, how can I help you?” she said, a brow raised.
But I guess we'll have to be patient,
'cause it's a long way to go.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Table base and considerable assistance from Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The alchemist barely felt the hand on his shoulder, so intensely focused was his shattered stare on the door before him. And so as it opened Roana would be met with a fiercely pointed stare from Remi as his muscles coiled and the hungry shifts inside of his soul tried to force themselves forward. With a brief glance to the boys behind her, Remi's gaze refocused on Roana as his jaw tightened.

Raising his hand, the blade of a scythe appeared within. Surely Roana would not need more of an explanation than that, not with Amalia with him. "Perhaps your boys can find somewhere else to play." He suggested in a low voice, free of its normal warmth and boyish cheer. Somewhere far away, wherever he was, Ronin would feel his husband's heart hammering out a frantic rhythm against his finger. Roana had known it was Remi all along, and she had said nothing. She had escaped instead of speaking with him, had done whatever it was she'd been doing all this time while Sam hid in a room in the guildhall, fearful and panicked.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia

stop thinking so much

Amalia has never seen Roana's children before, but she has heard about the trio of boys. They bob about their mother's calves like blonde birds, and Amalia smiles faintly at them before glancing to Remi, a pulse of calm and soothing energy pressing through the Attuned bond. Jyo, she whispers, and the starwhale obeys, pressing starlight into the small house, trying to further prevent disaster.

They are her to stop violence, not cause it.

Amalia nods at Remi's suggestion that the boys go outside, though her expression is less angry than worried. "Maybe they would like to go with Jyoti and pick up a treat at the bakery?" she suggests softly, glancing at the soldier with expressive dark eyes. "Kiada should be there, and they can meet Auni." She will send a bird with a message to the Harpy to keep the boys distracted, and thank her later with a special batch of cakes.

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Roana raised a brow at Remi, looking confused as he made a scythe blade appear in his hand. She wasn’t stupid, catching on to what this was all about. But for now, she was going to play stupid – the former captain wouldn’t admit to anything so easily. The alchemist suggested the boys play elsewhere, and Amalia suggested the bakery. The three boys gazed at Jyoti and the stares with awe, but Jax, the chubbiest of the boys, positively lit up at the thought of the bakery. ”Can we go to the bakery momma, please?! I wanna see it!” he said, nearly bouncing on his heels. The captain smiled a little and patted his head. ”Sure. Maybe you can pick a treat out for Ludo’s puzzle box.” she said, which made all three boys light up. They loved preparing Ludo’s presents.

”Go put on your coats, and you had best behave for Jyoti and Kiada and Auni.” she told them, as the boys rushed to put on their warm winter clothes before bounding happily after the starwhale, chasing the little stars in her wake.

Once the boys were gone, Roana looked back at Amalia and Remi, crossing her arms. ”Clearly this is serious?” she said.
But I guess we'll have to be patient,
'cause it's a long way to go.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Table base and considerable assistance from Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
The ploy to get the boys out of the house sounded to Remi's ears like faraway static. He hardly heard anything, his eyes did not lower to look upon the boys as they scampered and prepared themselves for their ad hoc outing. Instead, Remi merely leaned the scythe against the wall, his stare fixed solely on Roana. In his mouth, his tongue ran over teeth growing ever more pointed as the seconds ticked on. Feathers appeared in his curls as well, normally a sign of anxiety, but now merely indicating the unhappy state of his soul to be in this position.

Whatever he and Roana were to each other, whatever Roana and Ronin were, it could not overshadow the threat to his friend. To the ascendeds as a race.

Once the door clicked shut and the boys were gleefully making their way down the street did Remi finally speak in a voice that was low and sounded like gravel. "It was you." Moving to step towards the captain, the alchemist's eyes narrowed as a small snarl tugged at his upper lip. This was how close she had been, when she told him that none of it was his concern. "Do not dare lie to me Roana. Not know. Not about this."

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia

stop thinking so much

The starwhale light seems to do little to set Remi at ease, though Amalia feels herself breathing easier as the cool glow of it fills the room. Nodding encouragingly to the boys and Jyoti, the baker watches them leave for her shop and exhales a silent sigh of relief, glad that at least there will be no innocents caught in this confrontation.

Remi does not take time in stepping toward Roana, and Amalia reaches out again to place a hand upon his arm, hoping to hold the young man back before things can escalate much further. Remi, she says softly through the bond, trying to coax him to come back to her. Aloud, Amalia speaks to Roana, her dark eyes tired as she looks upon the woman who has made herself a mirror of the Shield. "We know you threatened Sam. Wessex knows, too. You said you would wait, Roana."

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
All is fair in love and war
bloodshed in velvet shades
as battles burn, but one remains
they call her Queen of Blades
Roana’s eyes remained cold and expression passive as she considered her options, standing her ground as Remi stepped forward. She could lie – she probably should lie – but it likely would be in vain. Remi had been there, and as an Attuned, likely could smell that she was the same person. Her cool gaze turned to Amalia as she spoke, and could looks kill the baker would have burst into ash on the spot. Not only had she told Remi, she had told Wessex. Of all the people that were a danger to her children, the Ascended woman was one of the greatest.

”I also said I would warn them to go beg to their goddess to cooperate with the Old Gods, since you clearly forgot. I’ve kept my word. And you still put my children in danger. I will remember that Vi and Safrin’s favorite servant is not trustworthy.” she said coolly to Amalia, expression remaining icy, before looking back at Remi. ”You’re here to tell me how wrong I am, I assume?”
ROANA
This table brought to you with considerable help from Sky and Odd!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Through the bond the alchemist bristles like a startled animal. Recognition of his name dawns slowly and though he doesn't come back to Amalia, his shoulders relax a fraction.

"Beg?" Remi said flatly, nostrils flaring. "Do you normally beg with a blade against the throat, Roana?" From what Amalia has told him of the duality of purpose that apparently the soldier and the baker share, the alchemist might have been inclined to weigh in. But just now his only focus was for those he cared for.

"To tell you how wrong? Oh no. You come with orders from Ludo, so I doubt it would do any good." The alchemist's voice was entirely without emotion, for all the emotion he had to give was unfettered rage, and he'd promised himself that he'd hold that back. Stepping forwards and peering down at Roana, sea-glass eyes fracturing further as pale predatory amber bled into his gaze, Remi waiting until his upper lip ceased its snarling before continuing. "I am here to tell you that the ascended will not be harmed. Not by you, nor anyone." It was a statement that the alchemist never before thought he'd make, nor anything close to. He did not threaten, did not insert himself into these sorts of conflicts. Not like this.

But the world was broken, and with it had broken the alchemist's optimism and unassailable moral compass. Whether or not Roana would find herself as the first to witness the alchemist's strength in its raw and unrestrained potential was up to her.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia

stop thinking so much

"You threatened a man with death, Roana." Amalia's voice is quite from behind Remi, though she clenches her hands in frustration, dark eyes flinty as the insults fly. "And from that, Wessex learned who you are. I did not tell her your name- but I begged her not to hurt you, and she promised she would not."  Why must there always be bloodshed as an answer, why must there be pain and strife? Amalia is not a soldier. She is barely a Shield.

She is just a baker, a girl raised in a glass bubble, trying to keep her world alive.

Remi's anger continues to push through the room in waves, enough to keep Amalia subdued, frightened of adding to the powder keg, the possible volatility and risk for disaster. Hers is a strange position in this: torn between her respect for Ludo and her morality, knowing that the gods are right yet reckless murder must be wrong. She does not come with answers from Mort, does not come with any solution, but believes that there exists one. There has to, for without an alternative the risk of war grows far too great.

"I still believe there is another way. There must be." She glances at Remi and back at Roana, stepping forward a little now, if only to hold the alchemist back. "Help us find it, Roana. A different answer. A better answer. Don't add to the darkness."

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
All is fair in love and war
bloodshed in velvet shades
as battles burn, but one remains
they call her Queen of Blades
”There is a blade to their throat, Remi, if not mine then someone else’s. Do you truly think Ludo has put all their eggs in one basket?” she said, eyes narrowing, not backing down as the man loomed over her. She didn’t know if Ludo had or had not, but a trickster god likely wasn’t one for such oversight. As youthful as they were, Ludo was ancient by human standards and in those years she was certain they had learned to see around corners. ”I threatened him rightfully, Amalia, there is a true threat against him and his creed, given by the gods you hold so dear. And as far as Wessex goes, she has already threatened to kill my boys once, I doubt she will stay her hand now.” she said to the baker, not backing down from her stance.

”The Ascended will not be harmed, but the Accepted will? The Abandoned and Attuned? Your own husband suffers because of some blight that the Voice sent the Ascended to meddle in and you are concerned for their welfare?” Roana questioned, glaring back at Remi. ”And what about when she strikes again against those who do not follow her? Who will suffer then? Will it be my boys? Aoife?” she said with a huff, turning her gaze back to Amalia.

”I asked Ludo if there were other ways. The only one they had not considered was the Ascended begging the Voice to make peace with the Old Gods. All of the other ways have been tried and failed. I asked them and they have said this same thing to others before me.” she said, her glare fixed on the baker. ”I don’t like it any more than either of you do, but I am clearly the only one with the shoulders broad enough to bear it. So unless you think you can come up with something that an immortal god who has had centuries to ponder over can’t think up I don’t want to hear the whining about right and wrong or better or worse. I said I would do what I had to to fix what I caused by helping unleash the Voice upon Caido again and this is apparently the only way.”
ROANA
This table brought to you with considerable help from Sky and Odd!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
With a snarl, the alchemist simply shook his head. "You are not hearing me. I am not here to argue. Not hear to listen to whatever it is you think gives you the right to threaten people I care for. You want to go after the Voice? Be my guest—"

Oh, but then she said her name and it was simply more than his mind could endure. With fingers punctuated by claws, the alchemist snapped his hand forward meaning to shove the ex-captain into the nearest wall and hold her there with talons against her throat. "Do not speak her name." He snarled in a low and deadly tone. The last person who threatened her was dead and the alchemist was in absolutely no shape to ensure the same fate did not befall the soldier.

"Think what you want, I do not care, but let me make this perfectly clear. If you take up this charge against the ascended and not their maker, I will stop you. Consider them under my protection." Remi's wings unfurled from his back, stretching meters and meters across as he glared. Through their bond Amalia would feel how tightly-wound the alchemist was, how close to the surface his shifts were, how ready for blood their tongues.

"This is a promise. If you go after those innocent of their creator's crimes, you will pay for it."

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia

stop thinking so much

"Enough." It is as she feared: tensions and tempers flared by too much strife, anger flaring on all sides, a dangerous combination of things. Wessex's threat is troubling, a reminder of her earlier fears, the ones she voiced to the Ascended queen. "She promised me they would not be harmed. And I... I believe her," Amalia replies quietly, meeting the soldier's eyes. Wessex may have a history of violence but the baker trusts her at her word.

Roana's statements hurt for the truth behind them, undeniable and impossible for the girl to look upon. This is all at Ludo's behest, and she is powerless to stand against that decree, as hard as she will continue to fight to find another way, as much as she believes that the taking of this task is a mistake Roana has made.

But Remi's reaction is more than it needs to be, and more than will help. Amalia can feel the beast within him rising to the surface, and she reaches for his arm again just as his wings stretch out. "Remi, stop." Her voice is pleading, but firm as well, an entreaty for him to ease away from the fury that bubbles beneath his skin. "We came here to stop violence, not to cause it." She had not expected him to react so strongly, to unleash such hell upon the woman. Telling him was a bad idea. Bringing him was a bad idea.

Everything she has ever done, always a mistake.

Her own nails sharpen as she squeezes his arm, less to hurt him than to draw him back to her, her body and soul entreating him to settle through their mental link. Normally Roana's arrogance would irk her, but she does not have the capacity to focus on it now. She is devoting all her mental energy to keeping Remi and herself afloat. "The Ascended did not know what they were doing. Many of them have worked to help heal the blight." What is she saying? How will it help? She doesn't know - she doesn't know anything.

Why did Roana drag her into this mess?

"Instead of killing, have you thought of asking the other gods for help? Maybe there is a way to unmake them, to weaken the Voice without killing the innocent." It is the only medium she can think of just now, though perhaps she really ought not to try. Her efforts have never gotten them anywhere, except in more danger, more trouble, more dark.