The Few You Seem to Favour
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
JIAO
The observatory at night was the only place that infused Jiao with a sense of the Gods being in the air around her. That they were beings woven into her life, not observers impartially watching from somewhere vaguely above. The feeling scared as well as excited her, her footsteps as she slowly made her way to the shrine light and cautious, as if a wrong step would result in damnation.

Sitting down and gathering her skirts beneath her she turned her face up to the shrine and was quiet for a while, wondering if they could read her prayers from her mind. Or if the Gods, old and powerful as they were, actually cared at all for what a seamstress had to say.

But she had a conflict, and there was no one else she trusted to give at least somewhat wise advice.

"I don't know if anyone is there or listening, but I want to speak with someone. For advice, for all of the Fae, not just me." Mostly her, but it sounded more important if she put it like that. "I suppose I would like to hear from Vi or Safrin, the most." The Blight had recently begun to lift, she'd heard, so hopefully she wouldn't be calling Safrin in the midst of her illness.
Leave all of my regrets to sink like shipwrecks
Through oceans dark

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
"We are always listening, beautiful one."

Too weary to appear in her normal veil of starsheen and opulence, the goddess simply materialized near the fae. Her hair tumbled down in loose waves as she softly regarded Jiao with a smile. Though light was beginning to reassert itself in Safrin's galactic gaze, still there was a haze of darkness around her. A weight to her smile, a depth of cold-onyx lingering in her lashes.
SAFRIN
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JIAO
That she actually got a response surprised Jiao greatly; she was used to be ignored at shrines, had always assumed she was missing something the Gods looked for. Given she had so rarely seen the Gods in person she was not too peturbed by Safrin's less flashy appearance, though she did look her over and wonder why she had not made as grand an entrance as usual.

"..Thanks." Was the first thing she said, twirling a bit of hair in her finger as she was called beautiful - always nice to be reminded. "Um, I wanted to ask...about the humans. About if we're meant to...be nice to them, or not. Delah says not, and they did do this whole Blight thing...but...maybe if they're gonna be here forever now we should try and be nice..?"
Through oceans dark

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"It isn't the humans that are responsible for the blight sugar, it's the ascended." Safrin clarified with a weary sigh. "And you're too young to remember, but there was a time everyone lived more or less peacefully...until the Voice got too big for her britches." She added with a light shrug. "What you and yours do isn't really up to me though, is it? For centuries the fae have lived in their woods, keeping to themselves. I don't see why that changes now that a few new neighbours pop up."

After all the fae guarded the Greatwood from the rest of Caido as well.
SAFRIN
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
JIAO
Safrin made the distinction between humans and Ascended. Jiao, who had lumped the humans all together in one convenient pile in her head, didn't really understand the difference. She knew the Ascended were the really weird...machiney suck people...but weren't all humans just as weird in other ways? "Why...did the Ascended do it, then? And what does the Voice want?"

As for why she was asking for advice, Jiao looked off, a little embarrassed. "I just thought you might have a better idea of what we should do. I get...mixed responses from around Sidhe, and I...have never um...been the best at..." She did not often admit her own failures, and Jiao clearly struggled to get the words out. "Seeing things all the ways I should do. I guess you'd advise we shouldn't be friends with the Ascended ones?"
Through oceans dark

Change author:
"Why? Why do they do anything? Because they are greedy." Safrin said with a dismissive sigh. As for the Voice? "Power. The conquer. She tried to challenge the gods once, to take her place among us." The deity's teeth clicked together as she scowled. "My guess is now that she is free she will try to do it all again."

Raising a brow, Safrin merely shrugged. "The fae have always kept themselves separate from the affairs of humans. I am not sure why that would change now. But that isn't for me to say darling one. The ascended are the reason the Greatwood was dying. The Voice would have happily watched you all turn to blighted monsters if only to further her own agenda. Befriending one of them? Where's the harm in that?" Turning with a sweet but dangerous smile, Safrin added: "But that is precisely what we thought in the beginning too. Where is the harm in one little abandoned girl, who has found her way to stronger magic?"
SAFRIN
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
JIAO
"Oh." Answered Jiao simply, wondering if she was supposed to know about The Voice's attempts to take over the Gods. Admittedly, she had never paid much attention in religious lessons as a child, and now only came to the Gods when she was desperate for advice; until now it had never felt like they had much cared about her, so why should she about them?

As far as she knew, Jiao had not met any Ascended yet. But the implied meaning she took from Safrin was clear: that if she did, it was dangerous.

Though...one question refused to leave her, one that she knew could cause friction. Still, her mind would not rest until she had asked: "If she was just an Abandoned girl, can't you just..." Miming, Jiao pressed her thumb to the floor and squished it back and forth, as if crushing an annoying bug. "I mean, you must be much more powerful, right? All of the Gods together?"
Through oceans dark

Change author:
"Early on, we could have." Safrin replied with a tense nod. "But..the kindness of Mort can be a double-edged blade." She said coldly. "Before that could happen she grew strong. She captured the souls of those she made, holding them prisoner in their ascended bodies. Neither Mort nor Vi could simply—" Safrin repeated the bug-squishing gesture, "—without losing all of those souls."

With a snarl on her perfectly painted lips, she shrugged. "And so here we are. In part two of this not-war."
SAFRIN
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

Safrin's explanation made sense, she supposed. Did the Ascended know that their souls were trapped? It sounded pretty unpleasant; though she supposed she wasn't aware of the location of her own soul either way.

"Do you need to get every soul? Can't you just...let some go? I mean, there aren't that many Ascended." Perhaps Jiao was too callous to be a God. "But um. Anyway, I don't want to tell you how to be a Goddess or anything. I just..." She chewed at her lip and looked around, trying to decide on something.

"I've been thinking about opening a stall in the human market for a bit. I think it might make some Fae angry, though. But I think they could all use a bit of colour and Delah seems a bit...harsh. I think." Not that she was always cordial with humans. "Do you know any good humans for me to talk to to get a start on meeting decent people in the town? There has to be a good one, right?"
JIAO
Even if I'll end up in shatters
Baby it doesn't matter

Change author:
With a slight narrowing of her eyes, the goddess gave the fae a look. "I suppose it is best for them that you are not the one deciding their fates then, hmm?" She replied icily.

"Why would it make the fae angry?" Safrin wondered. "You were told not to let them in. As far as I am aware, you are free to do what you like outside of the Greatwood." As for good humans? Smiling softly, Safrin nodded. "Amalia, the baker. Ronin, the king. Deimos, the Sword." To name but a few. "There are plenty of good ones, sweetling."
SAFRIN
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
JIAO
"...I guess." Jiao replied, unsure of if she had gone too far. From the tone in Safrin's voice, probably. But to her it was simple - Safrin didn't seem to care for the Ascended at all, anyway. For the most part, they had chosen to follow The Voice. Why would she want their souls to be saved along with everyone elses?

Safrin had a good point, but Jiao still suspected that some Fae would not be happy about her going to the humans and selling them Fae clothes; perhaps she could frame it as using the situation to trick them into giving her their things...though that was weak, and would be almost a lie, making it difficult for her to say.

She tried to memorise the names that Safrin gave her. She felt like she'd met Deimos and Amalia before, but after all the humans she had met she wasn't entirely sure. "I um...I have one more question. There's humans, and there's Fae...is there...anyone else? Any other types of people?"
Through oceans dark

Change author:
"Sure." Safrin said with a shrug. "Giants, ogres, devils, mermaids.." She wasn't surprised at the young fae's question; locked up in their Woods as they were wont to be, they didn't really take the time to assimilate themselves with the rest of the world.

"None so lovely as the fae, of course." The goddess said, offering Jiao a wink.
SAFRIN
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
JIAO
"Giants?! Mermaids??" Jiao repeated, clearly excited by the idea. A million questions at once sprung up in her mind, and she had to pause to try and sort through them, find a good one to start with. Even the compliment about the Fae, which she would usually enjoy, was hard to focus on when there was so much promise in Safrin's words.

Just a couple; she knew Gods were busy. "Am I going to get to meet any of them? Are they far away from here?" Perhaps not the most high-brow questions, but ones that she wanted to know.
Through oceans dark

Change author:
"Do I seem like a future-teller to you?" Safrin asked, brows raised. From killing the ascended to telling the fae's future, this dark-haired beauty sure knew how to make a conversation interesting to say the least. "But yes, quite far in one sense, and not so far in another."

Stretching, Safrin gave the fae a strange glance for a moment. "You have a different soul, Jiao. I can see why the likes of Delah and her ilk ruffle you. But next time you think yourself so very clever and wanting to rebel, just remember the giants and mermaids: there is an entire world you don't know about."

With a wink, the goddess appeared back into the night in a shimmery poof of starsparkle.
SAFRIN