playing house
For Abasi
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
It seemed that, like Caido, Abasi’s former world had quite complicated and often contradictory stories about the gods and their origins. Indeed, while everyone agreed that The Voice was a former Abandoned who’d grown strong enough to challenge the old gods, what Loren hadn’t heard or seen proof of was who struck the first blow in the war. Indeed, it seemed just as likely that the old gods hadn’t liked anyone else challenging their authority as it was that the new ones immediately fought back. And if the new gods had struck first, well, it wasn’t as if the old gods were always kind to mortals.

Still, it didn’t seem prudent to mention any of that, even far away from a shrine in the safety of his own home. Instead, the summoner just focused on the other man’s words. It was rare for someone else to be speaking rather than the Launceleyn, so he just enjoyed the change while it lasted. ”Which origin story is your favorite?” Abasi seemed to know quite a bit about the gods of his land—which sounded a little too close to the gods of this world for the summoner’s comfort—and as long as the other man didn’t get upset, Loren saw no reason not to keep asking about them. However, even among the gods of other worlds it seemed that not all was well. ”For a while? What happened?”

Abasi didn’t comment on the god’s of Caido, which Loren was almost grateful for. It spared him having to talk about Frey. However, talking about his appearance and his feelings wasn’t much better. Slipping the bracelet off, he spun it in his fingers while he considered his response. ”I don’t know that it’s that simple for me.” Changing his outward demeanor and looks had never been the Launceleyn’s problem. Indeed, he’d even erased all his scars, to no avail. It had been changing how he felt inside that had proven impossible. ”So that’s a no to the clothes, then? And I don’t know what kohl is, but my cousins might have left some cosmetics behind, if you want to take a look.” They probably had something black if the other man wanted to trace around his eyes.

The look on the other man’s face when the Launceleyn brought up LongNight, however, made him smile a bit sadly. He recognized the weariness on Abasi’s features as a twin to the bone-deep one Loren felt. ”I’d welcome your company." He was surprised to find that he meant it. "As for who else to follow, well, there are always the gods. Many seem to place their trust in them rather than mortal authorities. However, there is a king and a queen here, if you’d rather follow rulers who are a bit more relatable and answer when you call. Well, mostly.” Indeed, neither Wessex nor Ronin were around as much as anyone would like. And when they were, they didn’t act as many would hope, the summoner included.
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

He had a much less clear idea of his favourite origin myth than his favourite God. "The one I told you, I suppose. It includes Heka, which is important." Those Priests that took Heka out of their teachings had been the subject of much disapproval from Abasi in his past life.

"Ra grew old and weak in time. The people turned against him, as his reign went on." Abasi held the tone of a Priest giving a cautionary sermon, these words a warning to the people of his city. "Ra sent his eye, in the form of a great bird, to punish the people - it is only by his grace that all of humanity was not wiped out." He had imagined the scene many times; the great bird ripping the men below apart and only stopping once she had had enough blood, given to her by Ra so she would stop the slaughter.

The promise of make up was one that lifted his spirits. "I shall look. If I do find some, perhaps I could try and apply it to you, as well? You may find a new confidence in yourself."

"Ah, yes, I...met the Queen." An odd meeting it hand been, on top of the Spire only a week after he'd arrived. She had been an imposing woman indeed, yet after that conversation she had not had much else to do with his life; dissimilar to the ruler in his world. "Who do you follow, Loren? You told me you were Abandoned of the Gods, so do you follow this King and Queen?"

Or so I've been told
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Abasi seemed happy with the original origin story, so Loren left it at that. It was a good tale, though he had a lot of follow up questions about it. However, he’d already probably asked the other man more than enough, all things considered. ”It’s a beautiful tale, and you’re an excellent storyteller.” It was apparent that the other man had a lot of experience. As the story of the gods turned violent, though, the Launceleyn’s brow furrowed and his eyes darkened. ”Was there a reason the people turned against him, besides the fact that he grew old and weak?” It seemed like a familiar tale—especially given his earlier thoughts about The Voice and the old gods—and not one that sat comfortably with him.

Apparently just the mention of cosmetics was enough to perk Abasi up. ”Well. I’m not really doing anything pressing at the moment, so we could look now, if you’d like? And you’re welcome to put some on me.” While he wasn’t so sure about wearing makeup (and definitely didn’t think it would do wonders for his confidence), worst case, Loren could always wipe it off. Also, he wondered if he could create something even if they didn’t find anything suitable. Moreover, it would certainly be a nice change of pace for both of them.

From the sound of it the other man’s meeting with the Queen had been less than stellar. Then again, Wessex tended to have that effect on people. As Abasi asked who the Launceleyn followed, though, he veiled his eyes, trying to hide his expression. ”I follow those who I believe are worthy of it. Right now, that’s the queen.” Not the king, and maybe not even Wessex for long if she didn’t get her act together in a way that made sense to the summoner.
Families are like that—
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

"Oh - Thank you." He responded, a little unguarded. Abasi was not used to genuine compliments, and he wasn't sure he had ever received one on his story telling. "Is that not all people need to beginning plotting rebellion? Whenever a chink in the King's armour makes itself known, people begin to raise their swords." It was something he'd heard a sailor say, once.

Loren's offer to look now would get them out of the room and walking about, which Abasi welcomed; if he stayed too still in this place he quickly got a chill, and he missed the large spans of desert, often felt cooped up in the smaller rooms of even Loren's large home. "I'm sure you will find you look much better." He confidently asserted as he stood.

He followed Loren wherever he led them through the house. In his answer about who he followed, there was a conspicuous absence of the King he had mentioned before. Abasi, unused to disrespect of Royals from their own people, frowned and asked: "Why is the King not worthy of your following? Is he a poor ruler?"

Or so I've been told
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
It seemed that while Abasi was happy to give out compliments, he wasn’t quite as willing to accept them. Seeing as Loren was much the same way, he could understand that. ”You’re welcome.” However, the conversation took a much darker turn. The Launceleyn considered the other man’s words for a long moment. ”I don’t know. I would hope that they would try a peaceful resolution to the issue first.” Despite everything that the summoner had been raised to think, force and power and might were usually his last resorts; that was tempered by the fact that when he did go to battle, he didn’t hold anything back.

When Abasi agreed to Loren’s suggestion that they go looking for cosmetics—which was certainly not how the summoner had expected his day to go—he nodded. Draining the rest of the tea, he left the mug on the table near him and stood up. He could always come back later to clean it. ”Follow me then.” Although the other man was confident that the Launceleyn would look better in makeup, he still wasn’t so sure about that. However, he knew better than to argue. Instead, he just lead them upstairs, to the master bedrooms.

As they walked, the other man asked about Ronin. Sighing, the summoner tried to come up with a charitable way to describe his former friend. It didn’t help that part of the reason Loren wasn’t sure about the king was because he’d had the same illness as Abasi had. The Launcelyn didn’t know how the other man would react to that. ”He was blighted, so we could not trust him to make clear headed decisions. And though the disease has been cured, he hasn’t been around.” It was hard to put faith in an absent ruler. Maybe Abasi’s story about the gods of his land and how the mortals had rebelled was more applicable to Loren than he cared to admit.

Thankfully, they came to Zariah’s bedroom before he had to think too hard about it. The summoner opened the door, revealing the treasures within. His cousin had been a prideful woman. Surely she had some makeup.

So Loren searched, starting with areas near the mirrors, and was quickly rewarded with a jar of black powder. He held it up for the other man to examine. ”Will this do?” Hopefully Abasi would say yes: although Zariah was gone, the summoner didn't want to spend any more time than he had to in her bedroom. Maybe it was just the ghosts from his past, coming back to haunt him as they always did.
Families are like that—
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

"Peace...is a good ideal, but I find it is rarely upheld when people are frustrated." Abasi wrung his hands together, thinking of the political turmoils of his world, the tensions between his own people and the Romans, the chaotic, changing nature of the Germanic nations. News of death, of invasion, was commonplace. As much as he had felt safe in his own city, he had never lived in a time of peace.

Following Loren through the house, he wondered who had once lived here - the place was so big, it had clearly once been home to a great family. Not just one man and whoever he wished to take in. He didn't have too much time to theorise before Loren spoke again though, and he nodded, not wanting to be rude. "Do you...know he survived the Blight? If the man is dead, it would excuse his absence. If not, a King should not abandon his people until his last breath."

He did not know who the bedroom they entered belonged to; a woman, he thought, from the clothes and decor. Loren must have known her well, from the confidence with which he began to look for make up and took what he found. "Yes. This looks similar..." Abasi opened the container and closed one eye, wetted one finger with his tongue then dipped it in, pulling the black across his eyelid. As he applied, he asked: "Whose room is this? Your mother, or a sister perhaps?"

Or so I've been told
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Abasi was right about peace. Both about it being a good ideal and about people abandoning it when times were tough. However, that didn’t mean that they should give up on it easily. ”Sometimes the right and good thing to do is the hardest thing to do. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it.” And that didn’t mean it wouldn’t hurt, or people wouldn’t fail to live up to their ideals every now and then. They were only human. Even Loren, who demanded perfection from himself, would admit that much.

As the conversation shifted to Ronin, the Launceleyn nodded in response to Abasi’s question. ”He survived.” As for the rest of it—and why the king had been so absent—the summoner couldn’t say. Unfortunately, he agreed with the other man’s statement: a leader, even a weak one, should be there for their people. If they couldn’t, they should abdicate, or appoint others to manage in their absence. While it could be argued that Wessex was doing just that, it hadn’t officially been spelled out. That was leading to no small amount of unrest among the populace.

Apparently the cosmetics were close enough that they’d serve the other man's purposes just fine. However, Abasi’s question about the owner of the room gave Loren pause. He was silent for a long moment. ”My cousin, Zariah. She was queen here, for a time, before Wessex and Ronin. However, my cousin...she turned into a tyrant, from everything I heard. Then she disappeared, and no one has seen or heard from her since. However, they all live in fear of her return.” The summoner didn’t, though maybe he should. However, he knew Zariah clung to the old ways. While she might harm Loren, she wouldn’t kill him. And while he probably wouldn’t kill her, he would stand against her if he had to. ”If it’s all the same to you, I’d rather not linger here.” There were too many painful memories.

Assuming the other man was amenable, the summoner would lead them to a bedroom a few doors down; opening it, he would reveal another lavish set of furniture and clothes. However, this time, the bed would look entirely unslept in, and while the room was clean and full of dust, it would have no signs of life. Because this was Loren’s bedroom, and he didn’t spend any time there. It was too fancy and luxurious for his tastes, given what he’d gotten used to growing up. Taking a few steps in, he would come to stand before the mirror, almost not recognizing his reflection.
Families are like that—
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

While Abasi did not necessarily disagree with Loren's words, he wasn't one to wax about the right thing to do for too long, at least not when he had nothing to tell anyone off for.

He found Loren odd - that he could speak so much about hypothetical good and evil, but when it came to his own King, the man he was meant to follow and trust in, he had little to say. Only that he survived. Still, those two words were enough to give Abasi an impression of this King; a man that still breathed yet could not help his people did not deserve to rule them.

Zariah...he looked over the room, wondering if there were any lingering remnants of the woman's power left woven into the fabric of the bedding or sitting in the air. He couldn't feel anything in particular. "Fine. Though if your cousin was Queen, why is her child or yourself not the ruler now?"

The bedroom he was taken to next was odd in it's contrasts: the luxurious decor and wonderful costumes clearly unloved and unworn. Abasi walked in and looked about for a little, feeling the texture of the bed and inspecting the outfits, before he turned to see Loren staring at himself in the mirror. He approached and softly, almost kindly, asked: "Would you still like me to use the make up on you?"

Or so I've been told
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Obviously Abasi followed up about Loren’s cousin. Indeed, the other man’s eyes looked around her room, as if to find some sign she’d left behind. Unfortunately, the summoner hadn’t been here for Zariah’s reign, so he could only go off guesswork and what he’d heard from others. ”Nobody asked her to take over. She just decided to take control one day, it seems. She ruled by force, so she only had a tenuous grip on power. However, a rebellion formed almost immediately. So when she disappeared after only a short time as queen, the rebel leaders took over.” Near as he could tell that had been the sequence of events. However, regardless of how it went down, they probably wouldn’t ever have a hereditary monarchy here.

The Launceleyn simply let Abasi explore the room for as long as he wished. Loren certainly wasn’t keeping anything in there that he wanted to remain private. However, when the other man asked about putting cosmetics on the summoner he nodded. ”I would appreciate that.” Maybe this time changing his outsides would help him feel differently on the inside. He doubted it, but anything was worth a shot at this point.
Families are like that—
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

"Rebel leaders? Then that must be why your King is no use." Abasi declared authoritatively, his absolute faith in chosen monarchy making him immediately biased against any ruler beginning in rebellion. "They are all fire and passion during their fight, then once they take over they have no interest in the harder parts of ruling."

Loren nodded, consenting to the make up, so Abasi rubbed a finger into the black powder then focused on the man's face, slowly running the fingertip over his closed eyelid. Framing his eyelashes with a thick black line, he stood back to look at his work and smiled, nodding. "Much more handsome. Look at yourself." He gestured towards the mirror.

Or so I've been told
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren wasn’t quite as sure as Abasi was about the rebel leaders being ineffective. Still, the summoner didn’t really know how to respond to the other man’s statement. ”Maybe.” Granted, Wessex had been part of the revolt as well, and she was certainly committed, if not always the most clear-headed. Still, she was all they had: Ronin, for whatever reason, maybe due to other commitments or an unwillingness to lead, wasn’t present.

As Abasi traced the makeup around the Launceleyn’s eyes, he closed them, simply surrendering to the sensation for a moment. Weirdly enough, it was quite pleasant. As the other man’s hands fell away, and then he spoke, Loren opened his eyes, and turned to look at himself in the mirror.

He almost didn’t recognize himself. The black stood out starkly against his pale skin, causing his blue eyes to pop. However, even then he didn’t know if he believed Abasi’s compliment; the summoner’s eyes sought the other man’s gaze in the mirror. ”So you think I’m handsome, then?” The Launceleyn didn’t know what prompted him to ask. Of course, even now he wasn’t sure he thought of himself as attractive. Different and striking with the makeup, maybe, but certainly not a person to be admired.
Families are like that—
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

"I told you as much downstairs." Abasi replied plainly to Loren's question. Would he ask twenty times? "While you could put more effort into accentuating your appearance, it is fine in itself." He was not particularly one to fall for good looks right away, but he had always been able to evaluate people in one quick snap. It was obvious to him, just a fact, that Loren was handsome.

He looked at himself in the mirror. There were things he could criticise - he had never cared for the bags under his eyes or the shape of his jaw, but he could also see that in a whole picture, and especially to someone else, he was hardly ugly. "Why tell yourself you are unattractive anyway? If it is true you will depress yourself and if it is false, you will just look a fool."

Or so I've been told
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Abasi had said so downstairs. However, that didn’t mean that Loren listened or believed it. However, even though he normally deflected compliments, even he couldn’t say that it wasn’t flattering to hear that the other man thought the summoner was attractive. Apparently, all he needed was a bit of makeup and a little bit more of a pep talk. Turning to face Abasi, the Launceleyn smiled, one of those rare smiles that made him look like a different person entirely. ”Thank you. I guess I’m attractive then.” For a brief moment, he actually believed that.

As the other man continued, Loren’s smile faded, though remnants of it lingered in his eyes. He could see that Abasi was also looking at himself in the mirror, and the summoner felt he owed it to the other man to return the compliment. ”Well. As I said downstairs, you’ve got nothing to worry about in the looks department either.” While it felt weird to be saying that—especially in his own bedroom and especially after a whole season of turmoil—it also felt right.

However, the Launceleyn still hadn’t answered Abasi’s question. ”I guess I’ve never really cared about my appearance. And very few people have found me attractive.” Loren wasn’t being self-deprecating, he was just speaking truthfully. Indeed, though he’d shared his features with his twin, Neron had always been the charming and attractive one; in contrast, the summoner had been the shy, reticent one, too obsessed with doing the right thing (though what he’d thought the right thing was had obviously changed) to worry about anything else. That didn’t mean he wasn’t made of the same base material though. Which meant he could be attractive. Maybe all he needed was a reminder of that.
Families are like that—
Undertaker

Change author:

Abasi

Grace is just weakness

When Loren smiled (an expression with such genuine emotion Abasi didn't know where to look)and seemed to finally accept his position in the world as a handsome person, Abasi nodded, glad the matter was sorted.

He had not expected the compliment to be returned back to him and he, despite his own thoughts on how truths should be accepted, found himself smiling. "Thank you."

The conversation continued - on Loren's previous acquaintances with obvious bad taste, on how one should consider their looks as they were important when dealing with nearly everything; he found that with the make up accentuating his eyes Loren seemed somehow much more alive, more animated. When they parted, Loren to go and get back to his tea perhaps and Abasi to go and rest (for the Blight sometimes still exhausted him, pulling at his veins and bones like a weight) he left wondering if he might have made a friend.

Or so I've been told