A Little Truant
For Nate Wren
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
in a world where you can do anything: love
the honeysuckle princess
Phoebe had been spending long hours in the college to prepare it for LongNight. Windows were boarded up and covered with heavy bookshelves. The back door had been sealed shut for the time being – anyone who wanted in would have to come through the Temple doors. Snow moss filled the floors where they could be lifted, and those with stone floors were covered in layers of thick blankets and hay.

She already knew Cera was planning to spend his time at the College and Infirmary for LongNight, but it had been awhile since she had seen Nate. So she had invited him to join her at the College as she made last minute preparations for the week. At the moment, she was taking stock of all the medical supplies there, and making a list of what would be needed alongside additional food and firewood.
PHOEBE
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE
The tragic flaw of charming men
is exactly as it seems,
too much grease,
can break down a machine.

Nate had been glad to hear from Phoebe. He knew he'd been slacking (just a little bit) on his duties at the college, but... well, he'd heard some things, nothing good, and had decided that maybe a little slacking was warranted. The blight had been nasty, nasty stuff, and he wasn't really rushing to see what it would do in a whole person.

But, if Phoebe was reaching out to him, then that should mean she was on the mend, right? And he was eager to get back into some kind of work, not having a focus was beginning to wear on him, especially with his semi-hearted attempt at sobriety (it still counted if he was only doing it because he had better places to spend his nights now).

The college was locked down tight, Nate whistled lowly as he entered through the main doors, looking at the braces on the windows and the padding on the floor. Damn, maybe he should be a little more worried about Longnight. Phoebe proved to be a little tricky to find, sounds not carrying well in the building at the moment, but he managed, finding her among overstocked shelves. He made no attempt to hide his arrival, coming up behind her.

"You're working hard, aren't you?" He asked with a laugh on the edge of his voice, leaning against one of the shelves beside her. "You wanted to see me?"
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
the honeysuckle princess
Phoebe glanced over when Nate approached, smiling a greeting before looking back at her little notebook, writing down a few more numbers. "Last LongNight, I was stay with my boyfriend at the time, Emmett Palmer, and his family. They were well prepared but the monsters managed to get in an slaughtered his whole family, save his youngest two siblings and we had to run from the Outskirts to the Rathskeller, and Emmett was gored by a monster on the way. As I am sure you can imagine, I take the dangers of LongNight very seriously." she said said with a light smile as he commented on the state of the College, finishing up her notes before tucking the pen in the book and closing it.

"Yes, I did. How have you been, Nate? I haven't seen you around the college lately." she said with a small smile.
PHOEBE
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
is exactly as it seems,
too much grease,

Well, what an opener that was. Nate could only blink, amazed at the smile on Phoebes face after what she’d said. ”I uh... suppose that checks out then, yea.” There was a touch of awkwardness in his voice, and he cleared his throat to try and move past it. Maybe he was being too cavalier about this whole Longnight thing. Maybe he should be more worried about Sams plans to go out into the darkness.

”I’ve been... pretty well, all things considered.” He nodded and returned her smile, then lifted an arm to run the back of his neck sheepishly. ”I’d heard you were sick, and figured uh... quarantine was the best idea for it. But you’re better, obviously, and I’m here now.”
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
the honeysuckle princess
She couldn't help but laugh a bit at the expression on his face after she spoke of her experiences the previous LongNight. "Let me guess, you're one of those people that wasn't really sure if they should believe all the scary stories?" she said, raising a brow, a knowing look in her round honeyed eyes. There were enough of those that had come after last LongNight that didn't seem convinced of the horrors that lay ahead. But hopefully her little tale of woe had gotten through to the surgeon.

His explanation of why he had been away made her laugh a bit as well. "If you could call what happened to those like me quarantine I suppose. Though you bring up a fairly good point, perhaps we should develop a more rigorous quarantine procedure for the Grounds should something of similar threat ever happen again." she said softly, jotting down a few notes. "Well, still you are only here because I called you here. That is rather what I wanted to talk about." she said softly, a knowing smile on her lips.

The Dean gestured for him to follow so they could sit on the comfortable couches by the large fireplace in the main entrance of the College. "I remember when you helped with the original research on the blight that you noted that cells were well-known in the world you came from." she said as she sat, looking over at him with a warm expression. "Most of the people here don't come from places that are nearly as medically advanced as yours, and those who did don't have a knowledge base in the subject to be helpful. I was hoping you might want to be more invested in getting us up to speed with everything your world already knew about cells and the body and such." she said, tilting her head to the side to watch his reaction.
PHOEBE
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
is exactly as it seems,
too much grease,

All Nate could do in response to her teasing accusation was shrug. Phoebe had really hit the nail on the head, he was one of those people who didn’t think Longnight was that big of a deal. Honestly, he still wasn’t, though he was being convinced, slowly but surely, that it was worse than he’d initially thought.

”This isn’t that big a place, it shouldn’t be hard to figure out a quarantine plan.” Nate built on Phoebes idea, waiting until she was mostly done writing to speak. ”I wouldn’t be surprised if people have already got some kinda plan. Least the ones who’ve been here forever.” At least, it would make sense if they did. Surely they wouldn’t let some sickness spread rampant without a plan. It just didn’t make sense in what had once been a small, closed off place.

Nate nodded silently as he followed Phoebe, a sheepish expression on his face. He hadn’t been around because of lack of interest, he’d simply... gotten busy with things. As he plopped into a couch, facing the dean, he laughed softly. ”Yes, cells are pretty... basic.” He tried hard to make it sound like he wasn’t being patronizing, but well, he had some education under his belt. ”I’ve never actually taught people before, but if you, and whoever else, is prepared to deal with that, I’ll do what I can.” It couldn’t be that hard. It was just talking, and he liked to think he was good at that.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
the honeysuckle princess
”No, the hard part will be getting people to agree to it. Especially the Naturals. But I will be sure to ask around for their input before trying to implement anything.” she said. Phoebe wasn’t a complete idiot. She had seen Outlanders try to do just that, and the sort of reception they received. No, she would make sure to involve Naturals in anything that would affect them as best she could to make sure they felt heard and respected.

She did laugh a little as he called cells basic and she nodded. ”Perhaps for you, but that is precisely the point. Most of us, including myself, come from places where cells as a concept didn’t exist.” she said, realizing that the facility they were in might be rudimentary to his sensibilities, whereas to her it was very modern. ”All the more reason why it is important for you to share your knowledge with us. As far as teaching others – well, we all have to start somewhere. But I do hope that your first student would be me, and your first project the College itself.” she said with a grin. ”If you would, I would like you to stay here for LongNight and assess the place and recommend upgrades that fit in with that you know is best medical practice and why.” she said, producing a small, leather bound notebook and holding it out to him.
PHOEBE
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
is exactly as it seems,
too much grease,

Nate just grinned and nodded back at the dean, willing to concede to the fact that maybe she’d done more thinking about this than his off the cuff suggestion had assumed. Honestly, she surprised him in the strangest ways. He laughed along with her when she explained that cells weren’t common knowledge where she came from, then paused, the words really sinking in. Even before he’d started med school he’d known cells were a thing.

”I’d be happy to share what I know.” He started, leaning back on the couch. ”It might be made a little easier if I know where to start from though, y’know?” If he knew what she knew, he could maybe (hopefully) skip some of the basics. But, even if he had to teach her everything from the ground up, it would be a good refresher for him.

As for Longnight though... Nate rubbed his chin and looked at the book she held out, then around the hall of the college. There were a dozen improvements he could think of just off the top of his heads, ideas for hygiene and practices and equipment. ”I was invited to stay at the uh... monster hunters guild.” He said, looking back at her. She had said she was making it secure though, and if Sam wasn’t going to even be spending the whole week sequestered away, did it matter where they stayed? ”I think I can do a lot of good here. But... you’re sure it’ll be safe?”
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
the honeysuckle princess
Where to start, huh? Phoebe reached into her bag and pulled out a notebook similar to the new one she had handed him, but this one was clearly well used. There were scraps of paper sticking out places, and inside notes her meticulously organized and color coded in a flowing script, filled with drawings that would likely remind Nate of early medical concept drawings. He might even stumble upon her drawings of plant cells, where she had labelled the chlorophyll and chloroplasts, but mispelled the words.

"Everything I know is from looking at them beneath the microlens. But I don't have words to describe most things, I've just been making them up." she said. She had witnessed the cells in action but that didn't mean she understood what she was looking at.

"Oh yes, I've locked this place down tight and been singing to the luxere regularly in our garden, as well as putting out food for them." she said with a small smile. Phoebe was not going to overlook anything this year. "I understand if you would prefer to stay at the Monster Hunter's Guild, but it would be a good time to do your assessment. It isn't like there will be much else going on. And if there are any injured, your knowledge would be valuable."
PHOEBE