I breathe disaster
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
sometimes love is all that can save us, sometimes love can kill a man
“Oh I see. Just a fancy way of saying if I startle you and you hurt me, it is just my own fault.” Remi rephrased, rolling his eyes. “Yes, yes. Consider me warned. “ Though the plumpness in his cheeks suggested that he’d likely not be taking that warning under advisement anytime soon. The alchemist had a playful streak not entirely present in Northaven given all the oppression. What Remi didn’t know was whether or not Loren simply didn’t like it, or if it was just new. Either way though, in the interest of being who he was, Remi simply carried on.

“Well, with that attitude it certainly will be. Though...was it ever not awkward?” Remi asked, glancing side-long at the summoner without trying to make the question sound too weighty. It wasn’t, and Remi wasn’t necessarily looking to dive into their past. He just...maybe he was asking for more than he was entitled to.

“Come now Loren, it was not that bad.” Remi was a dad now after all. He was allowed to make dad-jokes. Appreciating that Loren seemed willing enough to care, the alchemist merely smiled humbly. “I do not know if it is possible. I guess...I hope at least one day I know enough about you to know where your lines are. I keep inadvertantly crossing them, I think.” Or intentionally as the case might be. But that didn’t need to be said; they’d both said enough about that.

Stepping back with raised brows as Loren started. Remi watched with softly amused eyes as the summoner hacked carved into the meat. Biting down on his lower lip so as not to say anything, the predator within the alchemist snarled silently while the man looked on with quiet amusement.
sometimes love is a soft touch, or a line drawn in the sand

Coding base by Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Love mends even the broken parts
”Exactly! And I will consider you warned, since I warned you.” Loren’s voice came out gently teasing, which would hopefully communicate to Remi that this was all in good fun. Granted, it seemed from the look on the other man’s face that the summoner’s efforts were unnecessary. At the next question though, he shook his head. ”It was always awkward. Mostly because of me. In case you hadn’t noticed, I am awkward and not good with people.” His voice came out wryly, though that was an understatement if he’d ever made one.

Seeing as he didn’t know what wasn’t so bad—the joke, their conversation, their past—he didn’t respond to that particular comment. ”Well. I will do my best to tell you when I find out where those lines are as well, instead of running away, mentally or physically.” However, as the Launceleyn started working on the deer, Remi did not join in. Loren shot the alchemist a bemused look. ”Is this up to me?’
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"You know, I had started to notice that, yes." Remi returned with a sly smile that turned momentarily crooked. He wasn't sure if knowing things had always been awkward was a relief, or a concern. Was this then, the best he could hope for? Tentative bouts of peace and laughter largely engulfed by misunderstandings and arguments?

Humming a note of agreement as he watched Loren work, Remi schooled his face into something that looked neutral (though he still looked boyishly amused by this entire process), raising his brows innocently. "I'm sorry, is that Launceleyn for Remi, would you mind helping?" He asked with a smirk. "Given what a wonderful job you are doing here.." Which was to say that Remi didn't think he was, at all.

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
The Launceleyn snorted at Remi’s comment. ”Really? And here I was thinking I was doing such a good job hiding it.” Again, the summoner had never claimed to be clever or good with people. The other man had just assumed that, for reasons unknown (or poor reason). Still, the awkwardness, both his and between them, seemed to be easing at least somewhat. Maybe not enough, maybe not fast enough. However, the alchemist just had to go and criticize Loren’s butchering. Turning, he raised his eyebrows, holding his bloody carving knife in one hand. ”No. That’s, is this up to me? But if you think you can do a better job, be my guest.” He stepped back and gestured for Remi to take over.

That seemed a little bit harsh though, especially if this was going to be their last encounter, at least for a while, maybe ever. The Launceleyn tried not to think that way, but it proved impossible. Sighing, he gave the other man a softer look than he had during this entire encounter. ”Listen. If I...if I decide to go to the Temple, and I don’t see you before then, I’m not...I just want to say goodbye. And that I’ll miss you. And that I will see you on the other side.” The summoner tried to muster up a smile, but it wobbled as he felt tears creep into his eyes. This felt too final, somehow.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"You were the one who gave me my sight back. Had you not, I likely would have missed it." Remi chuckled back easily.

Though Remi was neither as well schooled, as old, taller-than, or possessing a bloody knife as the Launceleyn was, given all Remi had been through, he was also not so easily intimidated. Not that Loren was probably aiming at fear, but his skeletal appearance, hard blue eyes, and of course, bloody knife all painted a fairly gruesome picture.

"I do not think I can." The alchemist trilled confidently, nudging Loren out of the way. With quick and practiced strokes, Remi separated meat from sinew, bone from tendon. Wielding the knife as if it were an extension of his fingers, his cuts were clean and smooth.

Glancing towards Loren if only to silently rub in how expertly he was carving up their lunch, he noticed how the summoner had softened, which of course immediately wiped the grin from his face. Swallowing hard—and not only because they'd spent a good deal of time arguing precisely about the fact that Loren wouldn't take no for an answer and was absolutely going to assist them all with their ludicrous tasks—Remi felt something inside crumple under a weight he hadn't noticed was there before. An honest dread, because this might indeed be the last time he ever saw the summoner. At least in a moment of panic or fighting monsters there wouldn't be time for an awkward or proper goodbye.

Biting his tongue hard hearing I'll miss you and unable to look into Loren's eyes as they misted with unshed tears, Remi turned back to regard the meat for a moment before nodding with a sad sort of finality. "Well...Phoebe has the shells..and..the parchment." He muttered stupidly, resuming his carving as he blinked back tears himself.

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
”Right, because I’ve been so subtle that your other senses wouldn’t have been able to pick up on it.” At Remi’s easy chuckle Loren smiled briefly, briefly enough that it might’ve been a trick of the light. As the other man took over the butchering, the Launceleyn watched, impressed with the alchemist’s skills. Granted, the summoner’s cuts had been fine—he’d slaughtered many an animal before—but apparently Remi had a superiority complex. At the haughty look on the other man’s face, though, the summoner raised his eyebrows. ”I was doing fine.” Indeed, he started on the opposite end, not willing to let that obvious challenge go. And if his movements weren’t as smooth or practiced well, they got the job done and his cuts were still clean.

At the mention of the shells and the parchment, the Launceleyn’s brows furrowed. ”What?” The alchemist said it like it should mean something to Loren, but it did not in the slightest. Instead, he was just confused, though it didn’t stop him from continuing his efforts with the deer.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"So subtle." The alchemist agreed with a grin.

And sure, Loren could think his cuts had been clean all he liked. As it happened the angles had been wrong, the meat flayed. Farmer he might have been under the false pretenses the Launceleyn's made for him, but that mattered little. "Mmm, that is one word for it." Remi again agreed cheekily, a bemused smile plumping his cheeks as he offered the summoner a quietly disagreeing smirk.

"Oh..I..thought I had mentioned." Remi said, clearing his throat slightly. "I...made shells that will carry voices across any distance. And parchment that immediately displays what is being written on the other sheet. To communicate during the week as.." We will all be separated. Unhappily Remi cleared his throat again, slicing at the meat with his teeth clenched slightly together.

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
”It’s my specialty.” Loren felt himself grin back at Remi, for real, as the tension continued to ease out of the summoner. As the other man criticized his carving technique, the Launceleyn’s eyes narrowed, though this time there was a mischievous light in it. ”You got a better one?” It seemed like the alchemist had something in mind.

As Remi explained the items he created, Loren could see how upset he was becoming. Wiping his hand on rag and setting the knife aside—since his efforts were apparently unwanted—he rested a hand gently on the other man’s shoulder. ”That’s good. And I’m glad we’ll be able to stay in touch.” They should probably reserve it for emergencies, but the Launceleyn wasn’t going to enforce that, and figured if he could bring the alchemist some comfort, Loren should.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Loren, I am a predator with knives for teeth and claws. Of course I have." The alchemist quipped back with a dry sigh, though there was mirth in it just the same.

"Don't." Remi said softly, shaking his head as Loren placed a hand on his other shoulder. The word wasn't cold or cruel, not demanding or overly emotive, merely...an admission of sorts. Remi couldn't hear I'll miss you, and have Loren's hand against him that close together. Looking over with flushed cheeks and an apologetic smile, Remi resumed carving, though with hasty and uneven movements. In his mindseye all he could hear see was messages unanswered, calls screamed and then blurred into curdling death-sobs. Biting the inside of his lip hard and focusing on the meat before him, Remi pulled in a breath finally and nodded. "Mmmm." He agreed.

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
”How much you want to bet I can summon two lionesses? Those are the real hunters in the pride, aren’t they?” Actually, Loren could probably only make one lioness—they were pretty big—but Remi didn’t need to know that. ”And we already know I can make a manticore, plus my own teeth, so who is the real predator here, hm?” If the other man wanted to tease the summoner, the alchemist should know that the Launceleyn was perfectly capable of gently teasing back. When the mood struck him, of course, which was rare these days. Hopefully less so, moving forward.

At Remi’s command, Loren immediately lifted his hand. At the same time, his eyes searched the other man’s features as the alchemist’s movements got jerkier than the summoner’s ever had. ”Okay” He smiled as gently as he could manage, and made his voice as soothing as possible. ”Let’s finish this and cook it up. We’ll both feel better after a good meal. Plus, that way you can stop worrying that my bony frame will break when we hug.” Hopefully the joke would do some good and help cut the tension in the air. He picked his knife back up, and got back to work.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"And how is it you know so much about lions?" Remi replied, sounding at least 2% defensive now, even as he grinned. "In the pride perhaps, though I have never been part of one, and have had to do all my hunting on my own, as a hawk, a lion, and a manticore." Giving Loren a slow look up and down, noting how his clothes clung to the places his body hollowed in, Remi raised a brow. The alchemist was basically all muscle now. "Me. It is definitely me." Though the words were meant to sound stern and sure, there was still a boyish glint in his sea-foam gaze indicating his amusement.

Remi uttered a sad sort of laugh, trying to cling to the lightheartedness Loren was waving his way. "A good idea. I probably could break you." Another man might have flexed and really leaned into the joke, but Remi merely continued to nervously bite the inside of his lip as feathers sprouted in his curls. He hoped Loren wouldn't notice, though given how unlikely that was, the alchemist put down his knife and wiped his hands on his shirt. "I..will start water. And..vegetables." He murmured under his breath as tears pricked the back of his eyes. Then realizing how patently ridiculous he was being, he nudged Loren with his shoulder as he passed. "Sorry. It is...just a lot. All this staring down death. Ludo has tried to get me to kill myself so many times, I cannot help but wonder if this time it will finally succeed. "

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
”I used to read. A lot. Whatever I could get my hands on.” Loren’s voice came out a little defensively, though his eyes were still soft. As Remi claimed victory, the Launceleyn just snorted and held up his hands in surrender. ”Far be it from me to argue with the mighty hunter who failed to bring home a rabbit like he promised.” Yeah, the summoner wasn’t impressed with the hawk-lion-manticore speech. At least the alchemist hadn’t tried to work raccoon in there.

As Remi agreed that the Launceleyn was fragile, he just grinned easily, not at all perturbed. ”Luckily, I have that handy-dandy healing magic to put me back together again.” Probably not the best thing to say, but again, he never claimed to be good with words. For a moment, though, he was quite worried he’d have to find the right words to make the feathers and tension disappear from the other man.

However, then the alchemist nudged Loren, and he smiled back easily. ”Nah. We’re both way too stubborn to die.” His smile eased into something gentler, but deeper as he moved to season the meat to perfection. ”Plus we both finally have something to live for. You have your family and friends, and I’ve got my whole figuring out who I am thing. And friends too.” Let LongNight come. Even if they weren’t facing it together, they’d get through, as they’d gotten through every other challenge and roadblock in their lives.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Reading might not quite be the same as the real thing." The alchemist protested with a broad grin. However as Loren mentioned that his hunt had been a failure, Remi merely huffed despondently. "Alright. Well now I know not to ever try and promise less and deliver more when it comes to you." He said with a playful roll of his eyes.

However much the alchemist might have appreciated that gaze to linger just a fraction longer, if only to settle what was currently awhirl within himself, Loren turned back to the meat and Remi was left to swallow down his tentative hopefulness on his own. ”mm..” He tried to agree, but the sound closed in his throat. Standing before the tap with a pot of water Remi merely stared for a moment. This wasn’t the type of breakdown he’d could have here, with Loren, so soon after the two had nearly parted ways forever. So clenching his jaw tightly and breathing in a long breath through his nose, Remi forced himself to nod in agreement.

”Loren?” And, should/when the summoner look his way, the alchemist would flick a created-burst of spices his way with a pasted-on smile.

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
”Oh, so you’ve seen a lot of prides, then? Thought you’d never been a part of one.” That’s right, Loren listened to Remi, if only so he could tease the other man. As the alchemist quipped about the Launceleyn’s warped expectations he just grinned. ”Probably for the best. I’m judgmental and easily disappointed, again, in case you hadn’t noticed while you were blind.” Seeing as the alchemist had made that joke already, the summoner figured it was fair game.

Seeing as Loren was done trying to guess or predict or assume Remi’s mood or reaction—plus he was busy with the meat—he missed the distress on the other man’s features. Even if the summoner had noticed, he had absolutely no idea how to make the alchemist feel better about what Ludo had tasked him with. However, when the other man spoke, the Launceleyn glanced up.

And got a faceful of spices.

Sputtering, he gave Remi an incredulous look that quickly turned mischievous. If the alchemist wanted to play like that he’d quickly discover that the summoner had an evil twin and even more evil relatives. Which meant he fought dirty. A clump of the tea they’d neglected to steep earlier would levitate up behind the other man’s head, before Loren released his telekinesis. It was on.
loren

Coding base by Sky!