Personal Quest Don't Fear the Reaper
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
KIADA
do not misunderstand me when i call myself a shell
i mean a used up bullet casing
The Harpy bites down on her retort as the snow does absolutely nothing to deter the rocks from their sliding location. And she glances toward Caiside up above with the sled before reaching out to talk to him through the Attuned bond. Do you think we could get the rocks we currently have back to the shrine and come back for these? It’s a quiet suggestion, but if she manages to follow behind the sled, maybe help alleviate some of the slipperiness of the route they take, perhaps it might work.

She swoops back up toward Caiside with a tilt to her avian features, shifting then to her caracal form, her long tail flickering behind her as she contemplates doing whichever he thinks might be easier. He’s the one tied up to the sled after all!

Kiada suggests they take the current load to the shrine and come back for the rocks under the house!
as in, the aftermath of something lethal
as in, an echo of inflicted evil
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

With the remainder of the load secure, Caiside watches Kiada try to save the rest of their rocks. And fail. Their prize slips through the crack, into what sounds like a basement. For a moment, Caiside considers following after her to retrieve the lost rocks immediately, but, as much as he hates to admit it, he is loathe to shift back and have to fuss with getting strapped in again. Her suggestion is met with a tilt of his great antlered head, Caiside considering it before answering back.

I think that will be easiest. He agrees, regarding the girl turned bird turned cat. But the runner is broken on the sled, it will need to be fixed, or we’ll lose the rest of this. I would shift back, but we’d waste more time getting it attached to me again. A great hoofed foot stamped, Caiside thinking. What if you ride in the sled? You can hold the rocks steady with the broken piece, and we can get moving right away?

Caiside
I have never been allowed to be Holy,
I have never been forgiven for Wanting;

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Melita and Jigano made a good pair, working quickly and easily together as the honeybee girl used her previous adventures experience with mortar and building to swipe just enough on each stacked stone. Jigano worked beside her, moving swiftly to seat each building block before the cold air could freeze the mortar too hard to work with. The stones were of different shapes and sizes, not carefully cut and shaped like the ones of the Atheneum, which made the base of the shrine trickier to build but also more interesting to look at, with skull-like stones kin to the Bone Bridge’s construction grinning out between the more standard blocks brought from the ruins of homes and shops. By the time the others were returning with their final load, the base of the shrine was built solidly and ready for the upper portion.

Kiada and Caiside met with more difficulty, but not so much as to completely derail the construction. If Kiada was willing to steady the rest of their load, Caiside would be able to tow them back – albeit barely, both strength and endurance being tested to their limits by the prolonged hauling and heavier drag of the uneven sledge behind him. Kiada’s dexterity proved more than sufficient to steady the remaining blocks, the warrior girl able to move fast enough to catch them anytime they tried to slide free. Soon enough the pair returned to the nascent shrine, and Jigano grinned at them as he measured what they had brought against the remaining pile they had already delivered. ”I think we have enough now,” he called.

The body of the large stone lantern he had envisioned still needed to be constructed atop the altar Melita had helped him build, but as it only needed four corners and a roof the work would go much faster now. He looked at this three friends and smiled eagerly as he beckoned for them to join him around the fire and warm up for a few minutes. ”I could use some assistance putting the lantern’s body and roof together,” he said, tilting his head to see who would be interested in helping with that. ”But I’d also like to use some of the wood Melita found to make open-slatted ‘windows’ in three sides of the lantern, and I thought we could use the wood from the sled to make the lantern’s ‘door’ so people can open it to put offerings inside. I brought hinges,” that he produces from his bag of tools, ”and woodworking tools, for whoever does the framing and attaching of that. Any preferences for who does what?” He hoped that the individual nature of the tasks would help keep whatever tension existed between Kiada and Melita to a low enough simmer that they could finish the shrine without incident.

Almost there!

- One person to help Jigano build the corners and roof of the stone lantern atop the shrine’s base
- One person to use slender wooden slats to create open ‘windows’ to go in three of the lantern’s sides
- One person to break apart the body of the sled and make a frame+door for the front of the shrine-lantern

No posting order! Since LongNight is almost here, PQ will update in 36 hours (Oct. 16 at 10:30pm) at the latest!
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824

I am my mother's child, I'll love you till my breathing stops
I'll love you till you call the cops on me

It all seemed to be coming together, and given more time she might have stopped to admire her and Jigano’s handiwork at the makeshift building and mortar swiping; as it was though, they had far better things to do. She could always worn her pride later on, after the press of LongNight, if she came to venture and offer things at this shrine for Ludo.

The next set of directions offered more options, and she merely leapt at something she’d already started. “I can start on the windows.” She shrugged, not bothering to glance Kiada’s way. The youth bent down to clutch at the remaining wood, and then broke apart some portions so they were more slender, more capable of becoming the framework for light to escape, to shine through like little beacons.

--

Melita starts to work on the "windows"!
M e l i t a
But in our darkest hours, I stumbled on a secret power
I'll find a way to be without you, babe

Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
KIADA
Caiside’s voice reaches her, and she calms a bit of her frustration at his suggestion. It could work, and she hops up into the sled carefully in her feline form to do as Caiside suggested, and luckily they manage to make it back without too much trouble. She’s quick to grab the stones that try to slip, and once they reach the shrine location, they’re able to unload the rocks easily.

Melita soon picks the windows, and Kiada decides that perhaps Caiside might make a better choice for helping Jigano build the corners and the roof of the shrine. “I’ll take the frame and door.” She edges toward the sled after they’ve unloaded it, prying the boards off and adjusting the body to make a frame and door that could open. She does her absolute best to avoid getting into Melita’s way, or anywhere near the girl without necessity, honestly, and begins to grab the tools that Jigano has brought to measure and form the frame.

Kiada picks door+frame!
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Caiside heaves a huge sigh of relief as they make it back to the site of the shrine, his plan apparently successful. He was exhausted now, but glad to be done with the load, and gladder still when Jigano said what they’d managed would be fine. He shifted back to a human form As soon as the sled was steady, he shifted out of the straps holding him to them, willing to brave the cold if it meant he was free.

The tasks were snatched up quickly, not that Caiside could complain about what he was left with. Considering everything, he felt lucky to get the job working so closely with his friend. He let the bard take the lead, placing stones down. ”It looks wonderful. You must be proud.” Caiside spoke softly, not wanting to disturb the work of the other two. He couldn’t keep silent though, not when the fruit of their labour was coming to shape before them. ”I’m glad I could help.”

Caiside

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Caiside ended up with Jigano, but they were both glad to be working side-by-side and the bard grinned at his friend as they began to build up the lantern’s basic shape and the corners that would anchor the window slats and door. ”Immensely,” he told his friend with a smile. ”I couldn’t have done this without you – without any of you.” They were using smaller stones now, and the work went faster as they packed together and smoothed the edges with what remained of Melita’s mortar.

Melita ‘s fingers were no longer shaking, and their deftness had returned, clever in their destruction of the remaining wood and ingenious in their binding the strips together. She worked apace with the others, preparing the decorative window framing with skill and panache. The slats were notched and bound together firmly to last for seasons to come.

Kiada was able to stay on the opposite side of the small shrine from Melita, working from a different source of raw materials. The sled had been sturdy at one point, but the cracked runner and the repeated trips carrying the stones had loosened it up quite a bit. She would have no trouble separating its planks to build the frame that would fit into the stone lantern structure that Jigano and Caiside had constructed. Once the frame was set in place the door came along more swiftly, the hinges easily screwing into place and then slotting together with their pins.

It took all four of them to lift the ‘roof’ of the lantern into place, a lucky find among the rubble. It balanced atop the corner and the central post, supported firmly by the hard work that had gone in below it. When they were done Jigano stepped back to admire what they had done. He dipped into his bag of supplies one last time, pulling out candles to hand out to those who wanted one. ”Thank you all for your help with this. Hopefully Ludo and Mort will look well upon it. I don’t know if they will or not, but I’m going to light a candle for them and offer my prayers. If you’d like to join me, please be welcome. If not, that’s alright too. You can warm up by the fire until we’re done and we can head back together.” He smiled at his friends, bowing deeply in gratitude for their help before turning to the shrine and lighting his candle with a punt from the fire, opening the shrine door to set it within. They had made it large enough that there was plenty of room for the others as well. He bowed his head and settled into silent prayer.

Thank you for participating in this PQ! Last round:

Light a candle for the lantern shrine and make a prayer – or don’t! It’s up to you!

No posting order!
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

The work passed quickly, hardly feeling like work at work at all, despite cold fingers and heavy stones. But it wasn’t hard, and Caiside was in good company, so he could hardly complain. Especially not with Jigano grinning at him.

Before he could believe it, they were lifting the roof up. It seemed almost symbolic, four of them supporting four corners, like a final step in some specific and archaic ritual. While the shrine had looked good before, it looked complete now, and Caiside couldn’t help a trill of pride. He distractedly accepted a candle when Jigano passed them out, too wrapped up in admiring what they’d built, and for a moment he seemed confused when he looked down.

After a moment of hesitation, Caiside stepped after his friend, waiting for the bard to finish placing his candle to lean in after him, lighting his candle off the first one and setting it close by. Then, he drew back, his hands folded in front of him and his eyes on the thin flickering light inside the shrine. It didn’t feel right to pray, not when he’d never interacted with the God before. But he would stand by respectfully until everyone was ready.

Caiside

Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
Before long, the shrine has been made and while sweat has beaded up on Kiada’s brow, she feels accomplished – regardless if Melita’s there or not. And she steps back to brush the hair from her face, gaze lingering along the rather large shrine, before Jigano offers candles to light and prayers to give. And boy, does she have a few. And so she steps forward, lighting her candle and sets it within the doors as well before stepping back and bowing her head in prayer as well – for Longnight, for finding Ru’in, for getting his soul and giving it back to Ludo, where it belongs.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824

I am my mother's child, I'll love you till my breathing stops
I'll love you till you call the cops on me

They’d done it – accomplished their little mission with barely any time to spare. Her hands were rawer now, but nothing that a few bandages or better gloves couldn’t fix, taking Jigano’s candle offerings and extending her own set of prayers. She had a few to name: family, friends, broken wares and individuals long since gone and never coming back – and for Ludo and Mort themselves, and the busy evenings they had before them, ignited and enlightened by the press of LongNight. Her breath came in long, lingering inhales and exhales, pouring her heart and soul into the manifestations, until their hours had long since extinguished, and they could return to their worlds again.
M e l i t a
But in our darkest hours, I stumbled on a secret power
I'll find a way to be without you, babe