A Good Time For A Joke
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Nate
The hour was late, and he was on a borrowed bed, but Nate had a real skill at sleeping through just about any circumstance. He’d been on park benches before, and in other places most people would turn their noses up at. That’s what made it so strange when he woke up in the middle of the night, the room pitch dark, the bed cold.

Nate sat up, rubbing at his face and listening, as if that might help him figure out his issue. But it was silent. Grumbling, he laid back down, and reached an arm out to curl around Sam, his hand touching nothing but blankets. He snapped up again, pawing at the bed and blankets, as if he’d somehow lost a whole man in them.

Panic gripped him, panic that Nate tried t rationalize as sensible. His friend was gone. Anyone would worry. So why did it ache behind in his chest, with the best of his heart, rather than in his guts where fear always coiled before. Why did he feel so... abandoned?

So let's face it this was never what you wanted
But I know it's fun to pretend
Now blank stares and empty threats
Are all I have, they're all I have
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
Samuel
I pray to blades of grass
To find forgiveness in the weeds

Talking to Remi had calmed Sam's initial panic after he had returned from the fight at the Mathair, but the exhaustion was set deep into his bones - not physical, not quite. The Voice had healed them all and he felt as strong as he ever had in his muscles. But his spirit was strung out and defeated.

Slumping through the door to the room he and Nate were borrowing, he pulled off the shirt Remi had made him; a kind gesture but the fabric felt constricting somehow. His pants were sodden with fluid, blood and dirt, so those came off too.

When he looked to the bed he expected to see Nate asleep, but he started as he saw the man looking right back at him. "Oh, hello...it's...been a rather tiring night." Walking over to the side of the bed, making a face at the cold stone floor on his bare feet, he slid into bed next to Nate and pulled up the covers around him. "Did you wonder where I had gone?"

Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Nate
The door opened while Nate was sitting up on the bed, a hand on his chest and his eyes fixed on the wall. Sam seemed to not notice him at first, slumping in and stripping down, a sight that, in any circumstance, would have been wonderful. Despite there being no marks on the pale body before him, Nate could feel a deep seated exhaustion radiating off Sam, one that made him ache.

Their eyes locked, green to brown, Nate softening the smallest bit when he saw Sam jump. The reaction, so human, so Sam, brought a smile to his lips, an edge of laughter to the returned hello. ”You look tired.” He replied, lifting the blankets so the ginger man could slide in with ease. Nate moves closer, wrapping a loose arm around Sams waist, as if to reassure himself that the other man was really there.

”I guess I was a little curious.” Nate tried to keep a light tone of voice, playing at being less affected than he was. He hoped the ascended wouldn’t, couldn’t notice his traitorous heart, still hammering from teetering on the edge of panic. ”Why didn’t you say something before you left?”

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Samuel

Nate made space for him and Sam easily slotted into his arms, smiling contentedly as he fit into place. You really couldn't beat falling asleep in the embrace of a lover; the many nights he'd spent holding a pillow and trying to imagine, eyes tight shut - he had not even known the joy he was trying to create in his mind.

He was accustomed to thinking of Nate as confident, collected. Perhaps that was why he didn't notice the panic in his voice at first, though he did still feel a little guilty as he heard the question. "Um...The Voice called me. I...knew you might want to go with me, but you couldn't."

Sam tapped out a soft beat with his fingers on Nate's chest. "It was dangerous - one of my...well, not friends, but...a man I knew...he died." He stared straight ahead at the wall, seeing in his mind the image of Lucas punctured, tossed aside like a ragdoll. "I was hurt too, but The Voice healed me - she would likely not have been able to do the same for you."

Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:

Nate
”I couldn’t? Why not?” Nate asked, his concern sharpening his voice into frustration. He didn’t need Sam to answer. It was nice to pretend he could do anything to protect the other man, but the truth was he was out of his depth here. He sighed through his nose and pinched his eyes shut, fighting to keep himself calm.

It was working, until the redhead kept speaking, his words making Nate freeze, his heartbeat hammering at odds with the rhythm that was tapped out on his chest. ”Someone died? You... you were hurt?” Nate wasn’t yelling, but in a way that said he would be loud, if he didn’t know people were sleeping nearby.

Why was he so upset? He’d known people who died before. People close to him. What was it about Sam that provoked such a reaction in him, made him want to just protect? Instead of facing any of that, Nate drew in a breath. ”You didn’t say anything. What if... you’d been the one to die?”

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

"Because when The Voice calls, she only wants Ascended. I would be...worried, bringing an Accepted with me - what if she didn't want you there because it would be dangerous for you?" With the amount of electricity that had been in the woods, the way The Voice had healed them...Sam did not see a way for someone who had not Ascended to have been a part of the night's events.

When Nate spoke louder Sam jumped, moving a little away from him. A part of him wanted to complain, but he knew if their positions were reversed, he would be upset too. "I was healed. I'm fine." He couldn't deny that someone had died, though, and honestly that scared him too - to have seen Lucas so easily snuffed out.

"...You're right, it's...it's hard, Nate. I can't involve you in this, but it would have been awful if I'd--" He couldn't bring himself to say died; with the immortality Ascendedhood had granted him, he had gotten used to believing he would simply live forever, back when the only chance of death for him was old age. "...I'm sorry."

There was a way he could see to fix this, though he wasn't sure if Nate would like it. "If..if you Ascended, then you would be able to come with me."