Establishing Ties
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
OLIVER
Hopefully, all the questions and curiosity surrounding his tattoos wouldn't be for nothing. Oliver could only hope that the pieces of art truly would be a gateway into finding out more about his past. Besides, he would like to at least be able to name what each of them were. "Yeah, I'd say they're super high quality. It's kinda like Sunjata's. It looks good and the colors are sharp...oh yeah, they're all three in black and white." There was a lot to say, but finding the words to describe them would be hard. Showing them seemed to be his only option.

"Maybe...I know I like to play around with things?" He said it as more of a question before realizing that what he said could be taken the wrong way. "I mean, I like to you know, work with my hands. I enjoy untangling things or something...so that could always be it." However, it felt like something was missing and Oliver simply couldn't place it. Maybe someday he'd be able to figure it out.

The manor sounded like it was busy, but he liked that. He wasn't a fan of living in a massive place, or a small place, all alone. It would be nice to wake up and see someone else there, to feel like he wasn't alone. Oliver had hopes that at least one of these people would be willing to talk to him, considering he had been under the impression that Loren most likely wouldn't be too interested in talking. He seemed far too stressed and busy to be interested in conversing. He was lucky to have this opportunity to talk with him.

"It'll be fun...hopefully I can get to know them before the start of LongNight." Maybe he could have a friend to talk with...

"You haven't told me too much about yourself. What kinda stuff do you do? I know you healed Sunjata, so what kind of magic can you do?" Oliver was pretty damn proud of his observation from when they were working in the temple. He had actually managed to pick up on something and realize that someone had magic without being bluntly told. Wow.
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
there's light at the edge of the darkness
Again, not being an expert of tattoos, Loren wouldn’t necessarily be able to tell the difference between high and low quality. He was more interested in trying to figure out if they’d been made with advanced tools or not. When Oliver brought up Sunjata, the Launceleyn tried to remember if he’d seen Sunjata’s tattoos closely, but nothing specific sprang to mind. Still, maybe Phoebe’s ex would have more information about it all. ”Got it. I’ll take a look.” It probably wouldn’t do much good, but the summoner would still try.

Untangling things wasn’t a job. It was a way to burn off nervous energy, or something that needed to be done when supplies were not stored properly. Still, Loren knew better than to say that to the newcomer. ”We can see if your hands remember what your mind can’t.” Instincts were surprisingly powerful things; the Launceleyns honed theirs until they were all weapons, so he knew that better than most.

By that point, they’d arrived at the Manor, and Loren pushed open the door. ”Hopefully. Let’s find you a spare bedroom.” As Oliver asked about the summoner’s magic, he eyed the other man thoughtfully. The Launceleyn hadn't said much about himself because there wasn't much to tell. ”Mainly summoning and healing.” The rest of the Launceleyn’s abilities were nothing to write home about, though they came in handy every once in a while.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
OLIVER
Hopefully Loren would be able to guide him in the right direction. Oliver would at least like to know his own damn last name or understand certain little vague ideas that kept springing up randomly during his day to day life. That'd be fantastic.

Loren already seemed to have an idea on how to address the whole yarn and string thing going on. "Yeah, I'd be alright with trying that out." Possibly he did have a point, that maybe while his mind betrayed him, when given the right tools he could be able to create something great. It felt like a lot, but Oliver was excited for it for some reason. It'd be nice to know something about himself or be helpful to the community. For now he felt like an anchor, just dragging every single person he met down. Maybe that's what he was in his past life, a burden to everyone around him.

Walking inside, he felt a rush of warmth as he stepped into the manor. Everything looked so beautiful and there was a look of awe on Oliver's face. Turning to look at Loren, he nodded. "Yeah...yeah a spare bedroom would be nice." He would've immediately shed off his coat, however he kind of had his hands filled with clothes. He couldn't wait to set his clothes down and then rip off the coat, to bask in the warmth of being indoors.

"Your magic sounds super helpful. And cool. I've seen what summoning can do, it's actually where I got almost all of my clothes." He liked summoning, it seemed super cool. Same goes for healing magic. "What kind of stuff can you heal?" Oh great, there he goes, asking a million questions once again.

"Oh yeah, I can show you my tattoo once we find me a room." For now he'd simply follow Loren around like a lost puppy, looking around at the manor as they journeyed to wherever he'd be staying. He couldn't wait to explore his new home, to see what the manor had to offer. He had a few hopes for what there would be, but he wouldn't mention them to Loren. That'd be a little too bratty.
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Oliver seemed as eager to test out his potential skills as he was about everything else. Unfortunately, Loren was too tired to respond in kind. Instead, he just nodded in acknowledgement that the other man would try out knitting and sewing and other cloth-related activities. At the newcomer’s comment about a spare bedroom, the Launceleyn simply gestured that Oliver should follow the summoner, then turned to trudge up the stairs. It didn’t take long to find an empty bedroom: the Manor was huge, and even with all the people in it these days, they still had space. ”All yours.” It had a bed, a dresser with a water basin on it, a night table, and a small desk with a chair. Nothing too fancy, but it was all serviceable. ”There’s a washroom down the hall.” With indoor plumbing, no less, a true luxury. "You can use any of the rooms downstairs, but upstairs is mostly other bedrooms."

At the other man’s comment about summoning, Loren gave him a confused look. ”I’m the only summoner in the Hollowed Grounds, so you’ve only seen what I did in the Temple.” The clothes comment made him frown. ”Do you mean creation?” That was the magic that made man made things, so probably, and there were multiple individuals with the power to create clothing with it. The summoner wasn’t one of them, though he did have his talents. ”Pretty much anything that’s not instantly fatal.” At least, that’s what he assumed: after curing Remi’s blindness, there hadn’t been anything the Launceleyn had encountered that was beyond him. Presumably there were limits, though.

Seeing as they were in the room, the summoner leaned against the wall by the door. If the other man wanted to display his tattoos, here was his chance. However, it could definitely wait if the newcomer wanted to get settled in first.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
The stairs allowed Oliver an even better look at the manor. Everything felt so warm and inviting. The colors worked so well together and simply looked beautiful. He wanted to stop, take a closer look at everything, and just bask in what the manor had to offer. However, he must follow after Loren so not to waste his time. He'd have the ability to explore later on once Loren resumed....whatever it is he does in the manor. The room itself was nice, though maybe not as extravagant as the rest of the manor. He didn't mind that. It would do great and offered everything he could've wanted. He could easily find things to make it more personal, if he were allowed. "It's perfect, thank you."

Loren did bring up one thing that brought a lot of confusion to Oliver. What was the difference between summoning and creating? Loren had said that he was the only one to do summoning, so he hadn't seen it yet before...he'd have to ask him about it later. Right now they were both a little too busy with getting him settled in. "Guess I'll have to read up on the different types of magic. I must admit, healing does sound super helpful, especially with LongNight coming up." Oliver wasn't sure how much access they'd have to medical supplies, so it would be nice to have access to healing.

Setting down the clothes in his arms, he moved to take off his coat. As he spoke, he folded it up neatly, "Hopefully my tattoos wont be too weird...I mean, one is kinda weird." Once the coat had been placed on the bed, Oliver moved to remove his top. It wouldn't be too hard to notice the tattoos once the sweater left his body. While each one was black and white, the lines were sharp and defined. They looked new.

First, on his upper left arm rested a compass. It was simplistic and the colors were the most faded of the three, but it still looked relatively new. Next, right under his left collarbone was a small rose, only about three inches in length. Last on his right ribs was a hummingbird. This one seemed to be the newest and the most intricate of the three.

"So....what do you think?"
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
the Firebrand

Change author:
The newcomer’s gratitude was a bit effusive and unnecessary. ”You’re welcome.” It had a bed, so for Loren that was extravagant: he’d spent most of his childhood in a cell or dropped off in the wilderness, which is why he slept on a cot. The feather mattresses were too comfortable. However, he supposed he was glad Oliver liked it.

As the other man brought up LongNight, the Launceleyn shifted uneasily. ”From what I’ve heard, if the monsters catch you they don’t leave much to be healed.” That, combined with the fact that the summoner needed to touch someone to use his magic made it far less useful than he would like. Indeed, it seemed like it would do nothing to help them over the period of darkness. Thankfully, the conversation progressed to the newcomer’s tattoo’s. Loren peered at them curiously and clinically. ”Compass, rose, and hummingbird. Left upper arm, collarbone, right chest. They all looked fairly well done, with decently advanced tools, though the order I listed them is the order of both intricacy and age. Is this ringing any bells?” Neither the images nor the placement did anything for the Launceleyn, obviously. Hopefully Oliver might have better luck.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
In reality, Oliver may be a bit too gratuitous, but he didn't realize it at this point in time. He was too busy being happy with his new living situation. He was a bit overwhelmed, leading to a bit of a mess of emotions. Hopefully he would be able to calm down a bit, as unfortunately, he couldn't tell that Loren wasn't exactly feeling too happy with his excitement.

It didn't sound too great, what the monsters did. Oliver wasn't sure if he preferred the idea of dying fast and immediate by a monster, or having at least a body left behind. It was a morbid thought, for sure, and it scared him. It sounded like once a monster appeared, there was absolutely nothing that could be done to save anyone. As someone without any abilities, it scared him. Hopefully he'd be able to do something to further protect himself, minus hiding away in the Temple.

Luck was on his side, as Loren was able to helpfully identify every single one of his tattoos. Oliver ran a thumb along his compass tattoo and frowned a bit. Hearing the names did spark back some memories, but absolutely none surrounding the compass. It was troublesome and he couldn't place why he got it. However, hearing the word 'hummingbird' quickly helped him to remember why he got it, and it would lead to him partially remembering why he got the rose.

A small smile crossed his lips as he looked at Loren, explaining what came to mind. "Yeah...the hummingbird was one of my favorite birds. I loved it. I was so fascinated by them. I had a little toy hummingbird, I think....I always wanted to see a real one, in person. I got one as a tattoo because, well, they were just so beautiful." It's too bad he has no memories of ever seeing a real live hummingbird in his life. "And the rose...I think it was my favorite flower...for some reason I also think it might've been my mother's favorite? I don't know. I remember there would often be a pot of them, yeah." Oliver nodded as he confirmed the memories, mostly for himself, but also so Loren could hear what he was able to think about.

"Thank you for, well, helping me to decipher them...I cant remember why I got the compass, but maybe that'll come to me eventually." Oliver did have to force a smile at the last bit, unhappy that he was almost completely cold. Grabbing his sweater, he slipped it back on.

Oliver wanted to ask about the clothes or the book, but then he remembered Loren was awfully busy. He seemed extremely stressed and though Oliver wanted to help, Loren had said there wasn't much that he could do.

"Is there anything you want me to help you with? I could maybe help you cook? Or I don't know...anything?" Maybe he could go visit some of the other residents? If they were there, that is...
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
the Firebrand

Change author:
As Oliver recounted what he remembered based off what the Launceleyn had said, he nodded along, storing away the bits of information that seemed useful. When the other man thanked Loren, he smiled briefly, a ghost of warmth washing over him for a short moment. ”You’re welcome. And I’m glad you remembered something already.” That hadn’t been too difficult: if they had enough time, they might be able to unravel the entirely of the newcomer’s lost memories. However, one thing that was in short supply around here was time.

Oliver asked he could help, which was kind. However, the summoner shook his head. ”You just focus on learning about Caido and getting situated. On that note, there’s a library on the first floor. It has some useful volumes, including one on LongNight. That one’s on the desk.” Presumably the Launceleyn should’ve returned it to the Atheneum, but he’d been busy with other tasks and it kept slipping his mind. ”In the meantime, if you need me for anything at all, I’ll probably be in the kitchen, unless I'm out.” Running through the entirety of their conversation in his mind he remembered something they’d discussed briefly. ”There are some spare clothes in the storage closet. It’s around the corner, third door on the left. Should be unlocked.” Hopefully that would be all, but Loren wouldn’t count on it. ”Any questions?” The newcomer probably had quite a few.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Remembering something felt...good. It made Oliver feel like he finally had a personality, that maybe he could eventually prove to be helpful for the people in Caido. It would take a while, seeing how long it took for him to remember the Rose and hummingbird things. He'd be okay with waiting, since he now had hopes of the future. Proof that he could remember some of who he once was. Plus, it felt nice to have all those warm feelings. To feel happy when he thought about the hummingbird toy he had as a kid.

"I think I'll do some reading...it'd be nice to prepare at least some for LongNight." It was all that he could really do for the time being. Oliver couldn't exactly be physically helpful, so maybe he could become helpful by being super knowledgeable in the subject? Know everything and be able to answer questions, rather than constantly answer them.

Speaking of questions, Loren actually offered to answer a few. It felt good to be offered rather than have him burst in and just ask a whole bunch of questions. "Yeah...yeah I have some. Um...what can I do? I know I can't do magic...so how else can I survive and protect myself? What am I made to do?" That one might be good to start with. It could lead to Loren answering his other questions.
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
the Firebrand

Change author:
Reading always sounded good to Loren, so he just nodded at Oliver’s comment. The Launceleyn had already explained where the book in question was to be found, and where he himself could be found if the newcomer had any questions about it. However, the question that the other man did ask was just perplexing. ”You weren’t made to do anything. Just do want you like so long as you don’t hurt other people. And everyone in Caido has magic of one sort or another. As for protecting yourself, just pick up a weapon and start practicing.” While the summoner was, himself, a weapon—or his magic was at least—he was also pretty skilled with a staff. There was nothing to say that Oliver couldn’t wield a sword, or a bow, or just his bare fists, whatever he had a knack for. "You can only find out what you can do by doing it." That was life. The Launceleyn waited patiently to see if the newcomer wanted to ask anything else.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Unfortunately, Loren hadn't quite answered his question. Then again, Oliver wasn't exactly sure what he wanted to know. Maybe he just wanted to be told what he should do in life...or really anything. It felt nice to have specific tasks or to know what he should clearly do. Instead, he had absolutely no idea what he was going to be doing with his new life. A small frown pulled at his lips.

"But....I don't know." He shook his head. He couldn't exactly figure out what to say. "I guess I can train for now, until I figure out what I'm good at. Or what I should really do with my life." It felt weird. He wanted something to do, really, but all he could do for now was just take things slow. Maybe join a guild.

"What did you do when you first arrived? How did you find your place? Or figure out what you wanted to do here." Loren did seem like he knew what he was doing. He seemed like he had everything figured out. A nice manor, tons of friends, even being in charge of preparing for LongNight. He was set.
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
the Firebrand

Change author:
There were no answers to the secret of life, if that’s what Oliver wanted to know. At least, none that Loren had discovered. ”If you don’t know what you like, try everything once. That’s all the advice I can give you.” That wasn’t complicated, just hard.

As for the questions about himself, the Launceleyn’s eyes grew haunted and his expression inscrutable. ”I didn’t. I just saw things that needed to be done, and did them.” Bringing up the fact that he’d lost his mind and hidden away from the world for almost a year didn’t seem like the wisest thing to say in the moment. However, again, there wasn’t any secret to success or to knowing what the right thing to do was. They all just muddled along and did their best not to get themselves or others killed. It wasn’t satisfying, but neither was life.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Okay. Maybe Loren wasn't exactly the happiest of people in the world, but Oliver believed that there was still some hope left in him. His responses seemed a bit less than positive. Then again, Oliver had also asked weird questions. While Oliver was a little unhappy with what was said to him, he chose to say nothing. It'd be best to just do what he recommended. Oliver would just need to try a few things out, maybe be reminded of what made him happiest. " LongNight is going to be a pain my ass when it comes to trying new things."

It was less than reassuring to hear Loren's response. Did he truly do nothing out of enjoyment? Nothing made him happy or brought him joy? Survival is one thing, but by the sound of it, Loren was driving himself into the ground. It sounded like an unhappy life to be living. Oliver would just have to do everything in his power to bring joy back to Loren's life. Show him that he could find something enjoyable to do and maybe they could even be friends. Loren seemed like he needed one. Or at least someone to make him have any emotions.

"Well...I'm glad you've been able to find tasks to do." Now Oliver just needed excuses to make Loren happy or think of happy thoughts. "Uh....have you done anything fun since arriving? Met any fun people?"
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
the Firebrand

Change author:
LongNight was going to kill people. So the fact that Oliver was complaining about not being able to try new things was ridiculous, given what they’d be facing. And if the newcomer couldn’t understand how serious the situation was, all Loren could hope was that the other man didn’t get anyone else killed. So he remained silent in the face of the other man’s comments. Then, as the conversation swung around to the Launceleyn’s life, his eyes narrowed and he couldn't be quiet any longer.

When he’d asked if Oliver had questions, the summoner had meant about the Manor or Caido, not about such trivialities. ”Here’s another piece of advice. Worry about staying quiet and not attracting attention so that you survive LongNight before you worry too much about trying new things or about what I do with my spare time. Now, if you need me for anything pressing, I believe you know where to find me.” With that, he gave the other man a firm nod, before turning and quickly walking down the hall and downstairs. Loren had work to do.
loren

Coding base by Sky!