The Midwife's Wards
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
”And how would I go about doing that? As far as I am aware, she doesn’t hold audiences.” she said with an irritated sigh. Frankly, she didn’t know a lot about how Wessex ruled things. She had never really made an effort to make that clear, she just went about ordering people to do things on occasion. Half the time Phoebe forgot somebody actually was supposed to be in charge.

Her eyes narrowed though as he spoke of the sword and the boys’ things. ”Weapons and artifacts?” she said, feeling her protective anger rising again. ”Whatever they have in their packs is theirs, not random curios to be pick-pocketed. They’ve already lost their father, they are likely going to lose their mother and now you wish to take away anything that might hold some kind of sentiment for them?” she said, tone incredulous. ”Absolutely not. Out of the question. I will not allow their things to be rifled through just because their mother is an idiot.” she said, placing down her cup and crossing her arms, straightening to use every inch of height she had on her small frame. ”They will be left out of this politicking and lives kept as normal as possible. That is the end of it.”
When the static clears
And all is said and done
I will realize that we all need someone
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Unfortunately, Loren didn’t have any advice on how to get Wessex’s attention. The queen had always come to find him—even when he’d been imprisoned by the Fae—not the other way around. As it stood, it was up to Phoebe to prove that she was a capable caretaker. While her response to the summoner’s claim about the boy’s possessions showed how fiercely she took her duties, it didn’t exactly show a great deal of common sense. ”I know for a fact that Roana had at least one ring that emitted light and heat, and I’m not willing to trust she didn’t have any other magical items squirreled away in their packs, since she was very willing to hand over her sword to the boys. Besides, technically anything she gave the boys is part of the investigation against her.” So no, the Launceleyn wasn’t impressed by the midwife’s decision to take a stand here.

It wasn’t the end of it and they both knew it. ”Morever, Wessex was very clear that we confiscate all of Roana’s weapons and jewelry. I promise we'll examine them, and return anything that is purely of sentimental value." That was all true. "If you will not provide me access, I will have to search the bags myself. You can either help me with that, or try to stop me. However, like you, I would rather not cause the boys any additional stress, and a search by force would certainly result in that.” He tilted his head. ”Unless you’d like to go with me right now to talk to Wessex.” The queen would be much more severe than Loren was, and they both knew it. It was entirely up to the healer how this went down. Unfortunately for her, the Launceleyn knew she couldn’t stop him.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
”The next thing you are going to say is that the boys themselves are part of the investigation.” she said dryly, about as impressed with his reasoning as he was with her stance. Her eyes narrowed more as he kept at it, trying to convince her to behave and do as she was told. Normally, Phoebe would. She was passive at best. But with her nephews at the crux of the issue, her spine suddenly became steel.

”Under what authority must I give you access?” she said, tilting her head. ”You hold no official title or rank, you have no proof of your claims from the Queen, and the search and seizure of items from innocent children is fairly unprecedented.” she said, calmly but with strength behind her tone. ”I shall not have another stranger rifling through their things. If I happen across something that seems dangerous or useful, I will bring it in myself. But you have brought these children to me to care for and protect. Your claim to them and their belongings is voided. Moreover, you’ve the only weapon Roana ever used attached to your hip – so unless a light ring that you have no proof of ever being with the children is that terrifying, I see no reason for you to need access to anything other than the front door.”
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Maybe Phoebe shouldn’t have been so quick to speak, and spent more time thinking about the consequences of her words and actions. Again. ”They’ll probably have to be interviewed, yes. We’ll try to make it as quick and painless as possible.” Anything they had heard Roana or do might be useful, especially if she did manage an escape somehow.

Unfortunately for the healer, she’d picked the wrong time to challenge the Launceleyn’s authority. He knew he was absolutely within his rights here, and in fact didn't need her permission. Still, he’d give her fair warning. ”Just so we’re both clear, are you aware that you are now actively impeding a member of the militia acting at the direct behest of the crown in the execution of his duties? And are you aware that I am obligated to confiscate any items that might prove dangerous, no matter what opposition I might face?” His claim had not been voided just because he’d been nice enough to wait to search the bags until after the boys were in a comfortable, safe, and familiar environment. The summoner had given the midwife ample opportunity to cooperate. If she didn't, that was on her.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
This was absolutely asinine. Interviewing toddlers? Confiscating and searching their things? She had never heard of such blathering nonsense before, and she wasn’t going to be steamrolled into buying it without clear, indicated proof.

”Actually, I am completely unaware.” she said, unmoving from her position. ”The monarch in question has passed no laws indicating the authority of this militia you are part of, nor the authority of unranked members of it such as yourself, nor has she made any notice of adopting the laws of the previous, unaffiliated monarchy that ruled here, and you have produced no written letter of warrant to search the belongings of the children. As far as I am aware, you are a ruffian and a thief wishing to steal what few valuables a couple of soon to be orphaned toddlers might own, and as their closest, adult living relative charged with their care I have absolutely no reason to submit to whatever authority it is that you think you have.” she said sharply.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
The problem with Phoebe’s reasoning was that in a monarchy, the monarch’s word was law. Just because most rulers usually wrote down some set of rules to make it clear to the populace what was criminal activity didn’t mean they had to. It was just expedient. And seeing as Loren had gotten his marching orders directly from the queen, that made them supersede whatever complaint the healer might have about the paperwork not being in order. Besides, there was indeed a form authorizing these actions. ”The arrest warrant is in the possession of General Ignatius, who is currently in pursuit of a fleeing criminal. However, if my word is not enough, you may ask him for proof. If that too is not to your liking, you may lodge a formal complaint with him if you think my behavior is out of line. In the meantime, I will proceed with following the crown’s commands.” With that, the summoner stepped forward, not willing to put up with this nonsense any longer. Phoebe could stand there, or step aside, but if she resisted, he might just arrest her as well.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Her hands bunched into fist, shaking with anger that was left without an outlet – rather without a reasonable one. Silently, she summoned her dragon companion, who came running in from the back in a streak of pink and fang and menacing growls. She knew she stood no chance against the force of another. It was why she had asked Frey for help, and she would not be embarrassed to use it especially in her own home. ”I am glad the general has an arrest warrant, but that is for Roana I presume, not the children.” she said glaring at him.

”Weren’t you just saying you believe we should do what is in the best interest of the children? How is this in their best interest?” she said, refusing to move out of his way. ”I said if I saw anything amongst their things that would be of interest to you, I would bring it – that is already more leeway than you deserve without any proof of what you intend to do. So in the meantime, you can either wait on the porch for the General to come with that proof, or go get some. Surely defending one’s home and children is not against these mysterious, unknown laws you are apparently operating under.”
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
Fine. If Phoebe wanted to be pedantic and difficult, that was her prerogative. Loren could afford to use words. He always had his magic and force to fall back on as a last resort. ”It’s for Roana and any magical items she had in her possession at any time. We don’t know what she had or what they might do, and some magical items can be activated at a distance.” As for the best interest for the children, yes, that was a concern. But there were other, more immediate concerns to consider. ”Yes. However, that doesn’t change the fact that the monarchy has ordered for any dangerous items that were once in Roana’s possession to be collected, especially given that she threatened to kill an entire race and we don’t know what else she might have planned. Public safety and lives unfortunately trumps the boy’s well-being.” The healer didn't have to like any of this, but she did have to obey.

He paused to let that sink in. ”That being said, I’m still willing for this search to go peacefully. However, all you need to know is that the queen’s word is law. You can either conduct the search under my supervision, or I will do it. Those are your only two options here and this is your final warning.” If she was dumb enough to assault a member of the militia, then she didn’t deserve to keep the kids. And her dragonling didn't scare him in the slightest.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Her lips pursed, glaring hard at Loren as Pim continued to lowly growl. ”I think you put far too much stock in Roana’s cleverness if that is the thought process behind this.” she said dryly, shaking her head. But it was clear he wasn’t going to back down, and the midwife was caught between a rock and a hard place. She didn’t want to give in so easily to Loren’s demands, knowing that the boys would catch on to what was up if they saw him going through their things, or standing over her as she did so – or at least Rhett would. But if she didn’t he seemed to be indicating he would use force – and that would hurt the boys as well.

”You can watch me look through their things after they have gone to bed and not a second before.” she said in a low tone. ”You can either stay or go – in which time perhaps you can procure a written warrant for this asinine search. But this is my home, they are my wards, and I will not be bullied any further into compliance by an unranked former aristocrat trying to enforce laws that do not exist.” Considering he lacked any proof of this charge she thought it more than fair that he wait until there was less of a chance of the boys walking in on the search.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
Actually, it wasn’t Roana’s cleverness that was at issue, but Phoebe’s stubbornness. She could protest the unfairness of it all she liked, but if she really took umbrage with the monarchs' decrees, she should’ve done something about it before trouble landed at her doorstep. However, when she finally caved to his demands—with a compromise that he could agree with, nonetheless—Loren nodded. ”I will wait.” He didn’t necessarily trust the healer not to hide away things that she didn’t want to turn over. On top of that, as far as he knew, the ex-captain was still on the loose, and leaving the objects unattended was unacceptable until he received word she wouldn’t try to circle around for them. After all, she knew exactly where the Launceleyn had gone with her boys and her toys.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Great. He was going to stay. Exactly what she wanted. Nothing like being forced to spend quality time with the man who had made you feel like less than dirt naught but a few days before. ”Then make yourself comfortable. It’ll be awhile.” she said, gesturing to the living room furniture that made the clinic feel all warm and cozy. Then she turned on her heel and walked to the back of the house as Pim sat, growling up at Loren. Guardian Pim was fully on duty now!

But he wouldn’t be left alone in the clinic long, Phoebe returning with the three blonde-headed boys (who really looked more like they could be her own children than Roana’s). ”Alright boys, have you been keeping up with your reading lessons?” Phoebe said to them, to which they all nodded – though Rhett clearly most eagerly. ”Good. Why don’t you go sit then and do some practicing before supper, hm?” she said, already pulling out a few short children’s books from a storage cabinet. The two she handed Cormac and Jax were nearly identical and very basic, the oldest and youngest triplet respectively curled up on the couch next to each other to help the other out. Rhett was handed a book that was clearly well above what a child his age should be able to read, and he sat apart from his brothers, nose buried deep in the spine of the book as he diligently set to the task.

Phoebe smiled a little, ruffling their hair lovingly before heading back to the kitchen to get started on a dinner that could feed much more than herself.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
Phoebe gestured at the couch, but Loren just moved to a watchful corner, where he could keep an eye on both Pim and the room at large. Maybe it was paranoia, but he preferred having his back to a wall. ”I’m comfortable standing, thank you.” He clasped his hands behind his back, posture ramrod straight. After all, he was here on official business. The dragonling’s constant growling was a reminder of that.

However, the healer had other ideas in mind. The Launceleyn remained where he was as the boys shuffled into the room, following the midwife. Then they scattered to go read the books she’d provided as she went to cook, and the summoner couldn’t help the pang in his heart at the picture of simple domesticity. It wasn’t something he’d ever experienced in his own life, and he knew it was something he’d never possess. But he'd made his decisions, and could live with them.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe raised a brow as he went to stand in the corner. He could suit himself, she supposed. Though if he was going to stay, it seemed like he ought make himself more comfortable. Even Pim eventually grew bored as he sat, keeping an eye on Loren. And being a young dragonling, when his boredom grew too much to ignore, he wandered away, curling up around Rhett to snooze quietly.

That was when Jax noticed him. He was the chubbiest of the three boys, which helped him stand out from his brothers. Rhett had the glasses, and then Cormac was the one remaining in the process of elimination. The youngest brother set down his book and turned on the couch, poking his head up over the back of it to peer at Loren with wide blue eyes. ”Are you in time-out?” Jax whispered to the summoner, curiosity mixed empathy contorting his little features.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
All was going well. Pim grew bored; the boys were engrossed in their books; Phoebe was bustling about the kitchen. The whole time, Loren remained in his corner, watchful. Just because everyone else was able to relax and let their guard down didn’t mean he could afford to.

Besides he knew if he tried to make himself at home—because that’s what this was, a home—it would just be painful and awkward for everyone. However, he hadn’t reckoned with one of the children coming over to talk to him. It was the youngest and chubbiest of them, but no one had actually bothered to tell the summoner any of their names. Not had he asked. The Launceleyn’s eyes flicked to the healer and the dragonling in turn, before returning to the curious child. ”Yes.” Loren’s voice came out in a quiet and conspiratorial whisper, matching the boy’s volume.
LOREN
Not quite an open book