The Midwife's Wards
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
”Nature. And yes, must.” she said with a small smile. ”Self-sufficiency is a great trait, but everyone has weaknesses or things they struggle with, things others find simple. There isn’t anything wrong with recognizing what you struggle with and asking someone who is able to help you with it. It’s just part of being human. The diversity of people and their skills makes us stronger and more adaptable, but only if we work together.” she said, all while helping Rhett keep his glasses gravy free. How these boys managed to get mess everywhere was beyond her.

She just smiled and nodded at his thanks, still preoccupied with keeping the mess the boys made to a minimum. And of course, Jax finished first and asked for seconds, and so she was then up and refilling his plate. Then Rhett and Cormac finished their food and so she busied herself with wiping off their hands and faces, sending them back to the living room to play while Jax finished his second helping. Of course she took a moment to pause and pop a cobbler into the oven, at which point Jax was finished and she had to repeat the cleaning steps – her own food all but forgotten. Phoebe seem to fall into a typical, domestic, motherly role with the same ease that the Launceleyn isolated himself.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
I will realize that we all need someone
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Maybe everyone needed someone every now and again. Loren wasn’t so naive to think he was immune to that. However, there was no one he felt comfortable relying on; his ability to trust in the kindness of others had been so warped by his upbringing that he would never really feel comfortable accepting help, let alone asking for it. ”There is, for me, at least in my mind.” Indeed, asking for help wouldn’t have resulted in anything for him but pain, and that’s what he associated it.

Thankfully, the dinner seemed to stifle any real conversation. Seeing as Phoebe was feeding him, the least the summoner could do was lend a hand. Or some magic. After all, he’d been raised in an enormous family, and had children at home; as scarce as Beatrix and Jace often were, he still took care of them, and Astra before them. So, as Rhett once more smeared gravy on his glasses, a cloth would float up, seemingly out of nowhere, to wipe them gently; as bits of food fell to the table (kids were messy eaters no matter how well behaved) he mopped them up with the same cloth. And as the healer put another serving on Jax’s plate, the Launceleyn gathered up all the dishes with his hands and his telekinesis, took them in the kitchen, and started washing. If Phoebe tried to stop him or take over, he’d float them far out of her reach. She’d done more than enough for him, all things considered, and he wasn’t going to be a complete freeloader here. Besides, if she was willing to cooperate in regards to the investigation, he would help out with a few chores. Seemed like the least he could do, after everything he'd put her through.
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe managed to smile at him, nodding a little. "Well, you've already made one step in the right direction, recognizing that. So, perhaps the next step would be, when you feel that way, asking for help anyways. Working through it." she said encouragingly, but with a slight shrug. It was just her advice, but he could take it or leave it.

The midwife was too busy with the boys to notice as Loren began to clean. With them settled in the living room though, she return and look near scandalized to see him cleaning the dishes. "Oh my goodness, you don't need to do that, I can clean them." she said, hurrying over. But as she tried to grab a plate, it moved up out of the way. She blinked in surprise, then huffed. Phoebe jumped a bit trying to grab it, but failed again.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
That insight didn’t feel like a step forward. It didn’t feel like anything except an acknowledgment that something within Loren was fundamentally wrong. And he didn’t much feel like fixing it, even if he knew where to start. ”I wouldn’t hold my breath.” Indeed, he couldn’t see himself willingly asking for help or working through it—especially with Phoebe—any time soon, unless he absolutely had to. Which wouldn’t be willingly, so that was defeating the purpose.

However, it seemed like he wasn’t the only one here who had trouble accepting assistance. As the healer jumped to reach the plates, he kept them tantalizingly out of reach as he scrubbed one without being phased by her actions or her words. ”I don’t need to. And you can. But you’ve cooked for me on several occasions, and I will be cleaning these dishes for you.” As before, there was pretty much nothing she could do to stop him. At least this time, his efforts were entirely intended to aid her. Her scandalized look surprised him: it was almost as if she'd never seen anyone else do housework before. Still, this cost him basically nothing, and seeing as she had a lot more work than she was used to (what with the three new kids), this felt like a small favor, all things considered. "I might even take the cobbler out of the oven." He was teasing her just a little bit.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"I'd hope not, it is important to staying alive." she said cheekily to his holding ones breath comment. Of course she knew what he meant, but she had not intentjon of pushing the issue, so she merely diverted to humor. Besides, she was busy chasing plates around her kitchen like a complete fool and partaking in a serious, introspective discussion would have been distracting.

"You are a guest in my home, let me clean up!" she huffed, trying to grab the plates and such to do so. But every time she did they swooped away, too high or too far for her to reach. "Ha!" she huffed shortly as he joked about taking out the cobbler. "You won't know when it's done, so you absolutely will not." she said, a little breathless from hopping around her kitchen chasing dishes. But alas, they could not be captures. So with a grumpy huff she changed tactics, putting any left overs in appropriate containers to put into the icebox.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Even before his recent spate of troubles, Loren hadn’t had much of a sense of humor. When he had joked, it had tended to be dark or self-deprecating, or both. So he didn’t respond to Phoebe’s comment about breathing. He did, however, reply to her complaints about his actions. ”I am a guest in your home. Let me clean up. I was always taught that it was polite and courteous to assist the host, or hostess, in whatever way I could, since they were gracious enough to host.” Which is why he kept scrubbing, almost serenely.

At her challenge about the cobbler, the corners of his mouth twitched in amusement. ”You sure about that? I bake.” And he’d seen when she put it in, knew how long it took cobblers to finish, and could test it to make sure it was ready. As she started putting away the leftovers, he briefly considered banishing her from the kitchen entirely just to prove that he could. However, considering how distressed she was just about the dishes, she might completely lose it if he did.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"But as hostess, it would be very rude of me to take you up on that offer because I am supposed to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable." she said as she carefully tucked away the leftovers. "Besides, I enjoy taking care of people. It makes me genuinely happy." she said softly. She liked making sure people were fed and clothed. She liked making sure their space was clean and comfortable. She liked tending to those she cared for and strangers alike.

But there were only so many leftovers. So she tried to be sneaky and grab a wet washcloth to clean the table and chairs (and probably the floors because kids are messy) with. That he baked though caught her off guard and she blinked at him. "You...bake?" she said, incredulous. She had seen a man cook basic things when they absolutely needed too. She had even seen men finish cooking things women started. But baking? From scratch? Just because? "I'll believe it when I see it." she said with a teasing laugh.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
If Phoebe really wanted to go back and forth about this, she’d find that Loren was a more than worthy opponent. ”And as a guest, I find it stressful that you won’t let me pitch in on the chores.” That was true, so even if she protested that he was infringing upon her sacred duties as a hostess or whatever, she now had conflicting goals. That was her problem, not his. ”And I enjoy not being a burden and pitching in where I can. So the best way to take care of me is to let me help.” Again, that was nothing but the honest truth. It wasn’t his fault if it conflicted with her desires. He was done apologizing for having conflicting wants: he’d warned her, and now she’d just have to live with it.

However, as she challenged his baking prowess—seriously, he didn’t understand why she seemed surprised every time he performed a task, or even just mentioned them now—he quirked up an eyebrow. ”That can be arranged. Though I’m curious why you doubt my baking abilities.” With that, he finished cleaning his current plate. Then, keeping the rest of the dishes in the air far above her, he grabbed the cloths to prevent his hands from burning on the oven, opened it, bent down, conjured a toothpick, and stuck it in the cobbler. Removing it, he closed the door then licked it carefully. ”Still needs a bit more time.” If the healer needed more of a demonstration than that, the Launceleyn would be happy to arrange it.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Part of her expected his comeback- it was pretty predictable based on what she had said. But sit was frustrating nonetheless because it did put her in an awkward position. Either way she ended up a bad host in this scenario. But she did catch one thing he said and gave him a funny look for it. "You're not a burden." she said simply, with a little huff. Putting the chairs back in their spots after cleaning up the boys' mess, she headed over to the sink to replace the rag in the sink.

"I've never seen a man take domestic responsibilities in a house without cause, baking included." she said with a slight shrug. While both her mother and father worked (her father far more regularly than her mother), her mother took care of all the household chores. Her sisters had stayed home while their husbands worked and they took care of all the cooking and cleaning - her brother's first wife had been the same. That a man would bake just because seemed...odd to her.

He seemed to think it needed more time - which it probably did - but she wasn't going to say anything. "Well, if it ends up burned, I suppose that would be your fault then." she said with a small smirk in a sing-songy tone.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
At Phoebe’s response to Loren’s comments—honestly, he’d been expecting her to object much more than she had—he paused in his cleaning and gave her a blank look. He knew that pretty much anything that he wanted to say in that moment would just upset her, so he simply turned back to his cleaning. ”If you say so.” More often than not, even before his current descent into darkness, he’d felt like an extra, unwanted part of this world, something to be dealt with rather than a real person. It was probably selfish and self-centered and prideful, but he wasn’t above admitting that he was all those things, and more.

Apparently men doing housework was an aberration to the healer. At the very least, it was a surprise to her; he could barely prevent himself from rolling his eyes at her statement. ”Who do you think cooks and cleans for everyone at the Manor? Me, Phoebe.” No doubt that admission would send her into a spiral of shock, but that was her problem, not his. Then she had the audacity to challenge him again. Quirking an eyebrow, he started using his telekinesis to clean the plates as well, speeding up the process. The cobbler was almost done, and he wanted to be finished with the dishes before he took it out.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
There was likely a conflict of ideologies at work, because Phoebe simply didn’t think of others as burdens. It wasn’t a perfect ideology, and occasionally she failed to apply it to herself, but it was in general one she held fast to. Occasionally, some people needed more help than usual. Occasionally, people required things that were difficult or inconvenient or required patience and forgiveness. That didn’t make them a burden; it made them human. ”I do say so.” she said a bit cheekily, if only to keep the mood light.

The midwife rolled her eyes back at the summoner as she dried her hands on her, apron. ”But you don’t have a wife or mother or sister or other adult female living there to do so, do you?” she said, looking up with a bit of awe as the dishes seemed to clean themselves above her head. ”Necessity is different. You’ve no one else to split up the work of providing and caring for a household with.” Men did the majority of the providing, women did the majority of the caring; it was a join effort really. But necessity didn’t mean going above and beyond doing the most basic things – baking a cobbler wasn’t exactly necessary to keep people fed, it was extra.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Phoebe could be as cheeky as she wanted. Unfortunately for her, she wasn’t going to be able to convince Loren that he wasn’t an imposition or a burden. Similarly, he probably wasn’t going to be able to disabuse her of her fucking strange notion that only women could do housework. That didn’t mean he wasn’t going to try. ”I don’t. But I helped my stepmother and my sister and my cousins with chores growing up, and when I was grown. As for splitting the labor, who is to say everyone can’t provide and care equally? Or that women can’t be the provider and men can’t be the caregiver?” Just about the only good thing about the Launceleyns was that they didn’t care who the individual was, just what they could accomplish. Zariah had been the head of the family, and no one batted an eye. The dark, flip side of that coin was that male and female relatives were both pressed into servitude if they didn’t have magic.

Still, this weird hangup of the midwife’s was surprising, to say the least. ”Here I am, being domestic, and there you are, a woman who happens to be the Dean of the Medical College, a professional provider. And look, the world’s not falling apart.” Finishing up the last of the dishes, the summoner bent down and opened the oven to check on the cobbler again. It was perfectly golden brown and smelled divine, and he smirked as he slid it out. ”There. It’s done. World's still here. If you still doubt my baking skills, I can make some bread if you have the ingredients.” No doubt Phoebe would freak out about that as well.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
”I didn’t say that they can’t she said with a little huff. It wasn’t her experience certainly, but far be it from her to decide who could and couldn’t do something if they really want to. That didn’t make it any less unusual or unexpected for her to witness. She had been raised in an environment where the rather rigid conformity to gender roles was simply expected and unquestioned – if only because surviving was a more pressing concern than any sort of questioning of the greater system. But Phoebe had proven to be more open minded than might be expected of her in other situations, her ready acceptance of Remi’s attraction to men coming from a rather homophobic world being the case and point. She just hadn’t been open confronted about this accepted norm before. At least not so abruptly.

”I didn’t think the world would fall apart.” she said in her own defense, not that she expected him to listen to her. ”I just…I don’t know it’s just what I am used to. And considering I enjoy doing domestic things I just…don’t mind that being expected of me.” she said. She liked domesticity. She liked the idea of caring for a family. ”And since I don’t have a family to care for really, my guests are who I dote on.” People who stayed for dinner or new Outlanders getting on their feet, patients and friends and strangers alike – they all gave her the opportunity to be what she wished she could be more often.

The midwife stepped forward to inspect the cobbler – which was indeed done to perfection – she glanced up at him, a hint of mischievousness in her eyes. ”Well, really all you did was take it out of the oven, and bread is one of the most difficult things to make well…” she said and shrugged. ”All the ingredients you’d need are here…if you’re up for the challenge that is.” she said with a smirk before turning to get smaller plates to serve the cobbler on.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Phoebe hadn’t said men couldn’t be caregivers. However, she’d implied it by the incredulous way she’d acted when he started cleaning up. It certainly seemed like she was perturbed by the idea. As she explained why she felt as she did, however, he fell silent, perfectly willing to let her speak. When she finished, he nodded in understanding. ”I also enjoy domestic things. Nor do I mind them being expected of me. So, maybe you can get used to it?” Now that he’d exposed her to the idea, it was on her to find a way to live with it. He wasn't going to change his ways for her, especially on something so silly.

As she spoke of not having a family, his eyes flicked to the boys. ”You have a family.” Now more than ever, the healer had others to take care of. If she should be doting on anyone, it was her nephews. It was a horrible situation, but at least that much good had come from it. However, as she once more challenged the Launceleyn’s baking abilities, his eyebrows rose. If that’s how she wanted to play it, so be it. As she prepared the cobbler, he bustled around her kitchen, opening cabinets and drawers and slowly collecting everything he needed, from ingredients to dishes to utensils. Once it was all assembled, he glanced over at the midwife, wondering if she was actually going to force him to do this.
Families are like that—