The Midwife's Wards
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
She considered quietly, but ultimately shrugged. "I've gotten used to many other things that surprise me so I don't see why not." she said with a smile. It wasn't like it was a bad thing either. Maybe her standards for what she expected a man to contribute to domestic duties was too low? Only time would tell. For now, she was content cutting up pieces of warm cobbler for the boys and Loren.

As far as her having family, she glanced over where the boys were. "Hopefully only for a short time in this case." she said softly.

The boys came rushing back in to eat their cobbler - which Phoebe smartly made them do with their shirts off. Before long, deep purple smears from the mixed berries were streaked across their faces and hands and chests (and somehow Cormac got some on his back, anyone's guess there). Phoebe sent them off to the bathroom, knowing a soak was the only thing that could save them now. But she caught Loren's glance and smirked. "If you don't get started soon you'll be here baking bread all night." she said with a light laugh, following the boys into the bathroom to supervise bath time.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
I will realize that we all need someone
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Given enough time, people could get used to pretty much anything. Phoebe could learn to accept men doing housework and women as providers; maybe even Loren could accept friendship in his life. Assuming they both lived that long, of course. As the boys ate their cobbler and left for a bath, the Launceleyn left his slice untouched.

Although the healer would no doubt notice, he was going to be busy making bread, apparently, since nothing else would satisfy the midwife. Moving with practiced and sure motions, he put some warm water in a bowl, then added some yeast and sugar. He mixed that all together, then let it sit until he saw bubbles. In the meantime, he whisked together flour and sugar in a larger bowl. Once the bubbles arrived, he stirred some oil into the yeast, sugar, and water, then poured that into the larger bowl. That all got mixed together. It was a bit too wet, so he added flour until the dough was the consistency he needed.
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
As the bathroom was more or less attached to the kitchen, Loren would have quite the interesting background music whilst he baked. The boys were clearly a handful at bathtime, loud splashing and raucous shouts and laughter echoed out of the smallish space. And of course, there were three of them, and one of Phoebe, who had all she could do to get the squirmy boys soaked and scrubbed in her small tub. But it would be the getting out of the tub that proved the most difficult. The play battle continued, you see, and once all three were out they bolted.

The three little boys went streaking through the kitchen, still drenched and wearing naught but their birthday suits, laughing loudly and waving towels like war banners. They beelined straight for the living room and went chasing each other around, jumping on the furniture. Phoebe was quick to follow of course, cheeks red from the work out she had gotten and nearly soaked herself (though fully dressed). Now, Auntie Phoebe was all for fun and games, but she did not put up with complete disorder. "BOYS." she said loudly, a firm, commanding and unmistakably motherly undertone to her voice that Loren likely had never heard before. The three boys froze, eyes wide with a mild look of panic, realizing they were in deep trouble. "You three are much too old for this kind of craziness. You know bathtime and furniture rules. she said sharply, which was met with a chorus of quite apologies from the boys. "Get your little butts back to the bathroom. You are going to dry that floor and get your jammies on like big boys." she said, keeping a close eye on them as they marched one by one back to the bathroom. She followed them back to supervise, and in no time the boys game back out in their jammies with their hair combed.

"Sorry about that." Phoebe said to Loren with a sigh as she reemerged herself, dress still soaked in the front.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
As bathtime continued—and escalated, from the sound of things—Loren kept up his efforts with the bread. It was easy to get lost in the motions, though the background noises caused his eyes to grow distant and more than a bit wistful. Still, he dusted a counter with flour, then placed the dough on it to begin kneading. And if his hands had a little bit more force than was strictly necessary behind them, well, no one was around to notice or paying much attention to him; Phoebe was clearly engrossed with keeping the boys in line, and they in turn were having a grand old time.

Then, however, chaos exploded in the small space: the children literally came out streaking, and the midwife wasn’t far behind. The summoner pressed himself against a counter as they all dashed past. For a moment, he considered whistling, the piercing one he’d use on the animals at the farm. However, Phoebe had it well in hand. Obviously he’d heard firm and commanding before, but it was usually harsh, not kind. Again, he felt his eyes become haunted, and he turned back to the bread-making, placing the fully ready dough into a carefully greased bowl and covering it, before setting it in a safe and warm place spot to rise.

When the healer said sorry, however, the Launceleyn turned to her, trying to hide his expression. ”No need to apologize.” He dusted the flour from his hands as a distraction, both for himself and to keep her from examining him too closely. Hopefully she’d have to go back to supervising the boys soon enough. This was all so...nice. Disturbingly so. And all it served to do was remind him how abnormal his upbringing had been. So on the one hand, he was glad that she'd managed to make a home for herself; on the other, he couldn't help but recognize exactly how far his own life had been and still was from anything like this. The Manor was cold and lifeless and certainly hadn't seen or heard the laughter of children since his return.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe? Miss something being amiss? Unlikely. She was quite observant of the small, nonverbal signs of distress in people, having to do so regularly with her patients. Her head tilted a bit, even as she wrestled her hair up into a messy bun atop her head. "What's wrong?" she asked, brows furrowing slightly. She was a bit concerned he might be preparing to explode again, and with the boys right there...well...giant dragons roaring in her kitchen was not what she wanted.

Whether he answered or not, she set to cleaning up the mess the boys had made while eating their cobbler, placing dishes in the sink to soak, scrubbing down the tables and chairs and floor again. "Don't forget your bit of cobbler there." she said with a small smile, gesturing to his full plate as she went to the sink to clean the dessert plates.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Of course Phoebe caught Loren’s discomfort: he was not exactly in the most stable of places these days, and his emotions were all over the place and more than a bit volatile. It wasn’t surprising that someone as empathetic as the healer would pick up on the tension. Still, he wasn’t willing to answer, at least not right away, so he simply shook his head. As she reminded him of his cobbler, he turned, grateful not to have to meet her gaze.

Instead of eating it, he just remained standing and rested his hands on either side of it. ”I used to have to fight my siblings.” His voice came out in a soft whisper; he absolutely didn’t not want the boys to hear. In fact, the summoner wasn’t sure he wanted the midwife to hear either. Maybe she hadn’t.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"I used to have to fight my siblings."

Phoebe halted momentarily, eyes widening slightly, before she focused back on cleaning the plates. At first she said nothing - what did you say to that after all? - letting the immediate tension pass. "That must've been very hard." she said gently, glancing over at him with a little frown on her face. It wasn't pity she felt, but true empathetic sadness for him. Something like that could really hurt a person's mind, especially if they weren't predispositioned to be violent.

She moved to drying the dishes, biting her lower lip in thought. "Did the boys yelling and such remind you of that?" she asked, wondering if that had perhaps triggered the bad memories. Her brown eyes fell to the dishes as she dried them, stacking them to put them away when she finished. "It can help to talk about things like that...just to get it out. If you want to. Hearing it can help you process." she added softly.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Apparently, Phoebe had indeed heard Loren’s whispered response. Guess they were talking about this now. As she commented how difficult that must’ve been, he turned, keeping one hand on the table, and gave her a hard look. ”You think?” Very difficult was the understatement of the century, and he looked more than a little like the dark and crazed man he’d been the last time she’d seen him. Thankfully, his voice and his expression wasn’t cold and angry, just unamused.

He’d already talked to a lot of people about many aspects of his past, and it hadn’t helped, at least not that he’d noticed. However, they had to pass the time before the boys went to bed—or until the bread rose, depending on if she insisted on waiting for that—somehow. If she really wanted the summoner’s deep dark past, hopefully she could handle it. ”Not exactly. It just reminded me about how...different my own childhood was.” That was also the understatement of the century, though he supposed there could only be one.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
She didn't shrink from the hard look in his gaze like she had last time, though she did note the sort of dangerous waters they were now wading into. Instead she merely held his gaze, lips curved in a slight frown. "I think there are likely no words to adequately describe what it was like." she said softly. Saying was hard was indeed an understatement, but it conveyed the point - it was hard to describe something like that fully, even harder to know what to say to it.

Phoebe glanced over to where the boys were, quietly coloring on pieces of scrap paper. "Which do you prefer? This or what is familiar?" she asked, looking back at him. "Because you could always choose to walk a path that would lead to something like this if that is what you'd prefer. No one is stopping you from creating a future like is except yourself." she said, smiling at him a little bit. "Zariah's children are still in your care after all, righ"
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Phoebe kept speaking, Loren’s eyes narrowed. ”I can describe what it was like just fine.” That wasn’t the problem. No, the problem was with exactly how horrible it had been to begin with, and how horribly it had scarred and warped him. Maybe that was why, when the healer asked which the Launceleyn preferred, he turned back to the table; to him, it didn’t really matter which he liked better, though the answer was obvious. ”She’s returning. Zariah, I mean.” So there would be opposition, and there wasn’t much time left. He didn’t bother to explain how he knew that, since it wasn’t important.

Glancing over at the midwife, the summoner bit his lip. ”But if she doesn’t, and something happens to me, would you take Beatrix and Jace in? Maybe show them that better future.” He couldn’t assume he, or anyone else would survive LongNight, especially given that he knew he was incredibly likely to do something foolish during the dark week. And Remi's words about making plans echoed in Loren's ears. Moreover, he knew he was ill equipped to show them the kindness they'd need to break free of their conditioning.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
’Then I do not have the words.” she said softly. She hadn’t experienced it. She could likely never understand it as he did. ”But that doesn’t mean my heart doesn’t hurt knowing you experienced things so awful…worse even.” she said. To have to fight your own siblings so young? Phoebe would not have wished that on her worst enemy – and while Loren certainly had a cruel streak in him, she didn’t hate him either or consider him an enemy; and clearly that cruel streak had been nurtured into him.

But when he said Zariah was coming back, her frown deepened. She was silent for a moment, wondering how he knew that but deciding it didn’t matter. ”The pact your family had doesn’t exist here anymore, right? You are beholden to no one but yourself, no matter what she thinks.” she said encouragingly, trying to bolster his own spirit. Zariah was a formidable woman, but if he didn’t want to be under her thumb again, he had to be willing to weather the storm she would bring.

”I would never leave a child without a loving home. If you want, you can bring them here whenever you would like to expose them to this atmosphere. I am sure the boys would love some friends.” she said, nodding when he asked if she would take in the Launceleyn children, and did so without hesitation. ”Though…it sounds like you’re planning to do something foolish…?” she said, raising a brow at him.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Phoebe spoke of Loren’s experiences, he felt his hands form into fists on the table. Without looking over at her—for fear of what she might see on his face—he spoke, his voice low. ”What do you know about me?” He wasn’t asking to be cruel or to remind her that they were strangers; he was simply trying to figure out what gaps he needed to fill in.

It would help both with the explanation of his own past and the explanation of why Zariah’s return heralded such darkness for the Launceleyns. ”I’m not worried about myself.” No, he was worried about Beatrix, and Jace, and Peter even, as well as everyone else who’d suffered under his cousin’s reign. He had proven to himself and others that he was stubborn enough to stand up to her.

The idea of him bringing Beatrix anywhere was hilarious: she forged her own path and listened to him less than half the time as she’d promised. However, knowing the midwife would look after his half-sister and his nephew was a relief. ”Thank you.” Again, he wasn’t looking at her, so he didn’t see her skepticism. However, he heard it in her voice. ”I’m not planning to do anything. But it seems that LongNight won’t respect any of our plans.” Actually, that was a lie, since he was certainly considering doing something foolish and dangerous. However, the less the midwife knew the better.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
It seemed she was bound to upset him no matter what. ”Not a whole lot. Nothing more than what I have already told you and what you have told me.” she admitted, shrugging a little. ”But I don’t need to know you well to know I would not wish anyone to experience the things you’ve experienced, especially if what you have already admitted to is just one of many things, and to hope that you can find some semblance of peace going forward. Happiness. A life you want.” she said softly, beginning to put away the left over cobbler to keep her hands busy.

”Then stake your claim.” Phoebe suggested, not knowing if it was possible. ”She left. Whatever she left behind…well…her loss.” she said. That was what made protecting others hard. You had to put yourself on the line and remain steadfast. Some people simply didn’t have the strength to. Others didn’t know when they needed to stop.

”You’re welcome.” she said easily. At the mention of LongNight she sighed, looking at the ground. ”It…can be unpredictable. But if it was that unpredictable I doubt there would be any Naturals left in the Hollowed Grounds.” she said, shrugging a little. ”Stay inside, stay quiet, keep the lights low, and all should be fine.” she said, the caveat being should, given her own experiences with the week of darkness.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
If all Phoebe knew was what Loren had told her and what she’d told him, then she didn’t know the half, or most important bits of it. The oath, yes, and the fighting, and the self-sufficiency and survival skills, but that was just the beginning. And it wasn’t the heart of it. ”My family used to torture me because I was too weak to be useful.” His voice came out distantly, as if someone else was speaking; even though he’d told this tale many times by now, that didn’t make it any easier.

Everyone kept telling him things that they thought were easy. Or maybe they knew how difficult it was, yet suggested it anyway, as if he knew how to do it or was capable of it. In this particular case, he knew what he wanted might not matter. ”Beatrix would go back to Zariah in a heartbeat, and Jace would follow.” And a fight between the summoner and his cousin would just hurt the children.

He listened to the midwife’s words, and he caught the nuances of it. ”Should.” Not would, not anything definitely, but just a chance. And that wasn’t getting into what might happen if people—himself included—decided to make poor life decisions.
Families are like that—