The Midwife's Wards
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
Phoebe handed over the daggers without a fuss, but her fingers curled tighter around the chain that held the ring. Brown eyes cast down, a slight frown on her lips as she looked at it. So simple, so Brahm. The midwife swallowed a lump in her throat, suddenly overcome with emotion as she looked at it, knowing that at one point, her brother had held this ring, had picked it specifically with thoughts of love and care in mind. When she looked back up at the summoner, misty eyed but keeping her emotions mostly in check. "Please, Loren...this is the only thing of their father they have left." she said in a near whisper, imploring him. There were plenty of things with Roana's touch, but this was all they had left of the father that had never appeared in Caido. And it was all she had left of her brother to boot.

Honeyed eyes glanced towards the window. "That? It is filled with candies and little toys for Ludo. It was an offering they gave and when Ludo figured out the puzzle they returned it to their windowsill, and so the boys refilled it and the cycle continued." It was a big game the triplets played with the trickster god. "I wouldn't recommend taking it. I don't think even Wessex would want to risk angering Ludo." she said. It belonged to the god, not the boys or Roana.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
I will realize that we all need someone
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Phoebe could implore Loren all she wanted. Even if this was the last piece of the boy’s father—and by extension, the healer’s brother, which the Launceleyn felt was more than a bit of the problem here—he couldn’t assume it wasn’t enchanted somehow, especially because he knew that Roana had at least one ring with magic. If this was the only piece of jewelry here, then he had to assume this was the light ring.

Taking the daggers, the summoner held out his other hand. ”I’m sorry. And if you’re telling the truth, I will return it in short order. But we had an agreement, Phoebe.” His voice came out gently. However, if the midwife made him resort to force after he’d played by her rules, he wouldn’t hesitate. As she explained what the box was, he frowned. ”Alright.” It seemed harmless enough, and Ludo had come up multiple times in relation to it. Plus that was one god Loren did not want to tangle with.
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe sighed and closed her eyes, hesitating a moment longer to hold on to the sentimental piece of jewelry. But Loren would not need to resort to force. After a moment she placed the piece in his hand, fingers trembling slightly. It was just a thing. It wasn't her brother. And it could never replace him or her memories of him.

Sensing her distress, Pim made his way over from the chair he had been curled up on, curling around her. He rested his chin on her leg, sending soothing feelings through their connection. She smiled a little and scratched the scales on top of his head. Trying to find something to distract herself, she looked over at the kitchen. "It looks like it'll still be awhile before your dough is well risen."
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Phoebe finally relented, and Loren’s fingers closed around the ring. For a moment there, he’d been worried that it might fall apart at the end there. As he tucked the heirloom into a pocket, he watched as Pim came to provide comfort to the midwife. ”I will keep it safe.” He wasn’t going to promise, because he didn’t know if he could keep it. However, he would do his best.

As the midwife brought up the dough, though, the summoner found his fingers drumming another anxious beat on his thigh. ”I’d have to stay pretty much the entire night for it to finish. I can, or I can just talk you through the rest of the steps.” Not because she needed it, of course, just to prove that he knew what he was doing. He very much wanted to leave, now that his task was accomplished, but he also didn't want to back down from his challenge.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
His assurance didn't really help her feel better about handing over the ring. Ultimately it was Wessex's decision, and she knew Loren wouldn't act against her will. So she tried to content herself with scratching Pim's head and distraction.

"Hmmm you trust me not to sabotage your efforts huh?" she said with a smirk. This was his challenge to prove his baking ability after all. It would be oh so easy to 'follow his directions' but it turned out awful. Underbaked, underproofed, burnt...so many ways his directions could go terribly wrong. Phoebe laughed a little anf shrugged. "You were the one who offered to bake bread at this hour to prove you could." she reminded.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Phoebe was trying to joke, but Loren just regarded her steadily. He didn’t think this would have been a particularly funny occasion, even if he’d possessed a sense of humor. Instead, he just took her question seriously. ”I trust you. With the bread. And with the children.” Indeed, the Launceleyn wouldn’t have asked her to take care of Beatrix and Jace if the summoner hadn’t trusted the midwife. As she reminded him that this was his own self-imposed challenge, he sighed. ”Alright. I’ll stay. But you go rest. I’ll finish the bread and clean up the kitchen.” She’d probably refuse, but that was the last he was going to say on the matter, and hopefully for the rest of the night.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
It wasn’t a particularly funny occasion, and that was half the reason why she was trying to joke. It was just something to lift the mood, but clearly the Launceleyn was of a different mindset. But she didn’t let it bother her, he was giving her a compliment after all. ”Well, thank you.” she said softly. Besides, he agreed to stay and insisted on cleaning up. ”If you insist.” she said with a bit of a sigh. She supposed if he wanted to clean so badly, there was no point in trying to stop him.

She carefully repacked the boys’ things and set them by the door then before trying to decide what to do. Eventually she settled on reading and a glass of wine, going over to a cabinet to fetch some. ”Would you like a glass? Remi made it so it’s actually really good.” she said, pouring herself a glass of the ruby-red liquid.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
”You’re welcome.” It seemed like a silly thing to say, but Loren didn’t know how else to respond to Phoebe’s gratitude. It felt misplaced, since he certainly didn’t feel that he’d earned her gratitude. As she sighed, he just nodded firmly. ”I insist.” He was too stubborn and polite to let her clean up the mess he’d made on the task he set for himself.

When she brought over a glass of wine, though, he shook his head and cleared his throat. ”No, thank you. I don’t drink.” His voice came out a little stiffly. However, it made him reckless and dangerous, and he’d been on his bad behavior too much recently. As she settled in to read, he went back in the kitchen to check on the dough. Then, he’d simply stay there, standing quietly, working even more quietly on the bread, until it was done. Assuming the midwife let him, of course.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
”Oh, alright.” she said with a bit of surprise as she put the second glass away, unused, and recorked the bottle. She wouldn’t press the issue further than that, knowing some people chose to drink while others did not. So she simply took her own glass and curled up on the couch, legs tucked underneath her, as she perused a rather heavy medical text. Light reading that was anything but light, based on the way she took notes in a leather-bound notepad between sips of wine.

Eventually she paused though, glancing at Loren still in the kitchen. ”Time goes slower if you just stand there and watch it. You may as well grab something to read and make yourself comfortable.” she said with a small smile. Phoebe gestured to the bookshelf from which he could procure something to read – some were technical, others were fiction, all clearly indicative of an eclectic taste in literature.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Considering the last time Loren had gotten drunk drunk, he’d started a bar brawl then puked all over his twin’s shoes, Phoebe should be thankful the summoner had turned down her offer. Of course, she didn’t know that and he had no intention of letting her find out. After all, he needed to keep some deep dark secrets to himself. As he waited for the dough, he found himself watching her read out of the corner of his eye. Maybe she’d noticed—or she was bothered by the image of him standing in her kitchen doing nothing—since she suggested he take a book himself. Not wanting to get into another back and forth, he scanned the shelf, then selected what he hoped was one of the simpler medical texts.

Then he just leaned against a counter and started reading, checking on the dough every now and again. After enough time had passed and the dough had risen enough, he took it out, then punched it down. After, he separated it into halves and placed both in their own greased pan, before covering both and setting them aside to rise some more.
Families are like that—
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
At least he came and got a book, but he went right back to the kitchen to lean against a counter. She frowned a bit, feeling bad that she was sitting and he was standing. Even Pim had found himself a comfy chair to sit in by the fire. It made her antsy. ”If you can insist on cleaning the kitchen, then I can insist on you sitting on a piece of comfy furniture.” she said, gesturing to the plethora of options within the clinic.

Honeyed eyes flicked to the book he had picked and she smiled. ”That’s a good one, but I would skip the entire chapter on female reproductive health. It was very clearly written by a man who had very clearly negative and imaginative ideas about women. Though if you’re looking for a bit of entertaining fiction, it is chapter fourteen.” she said with a light laugh.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Again, the less talking and conflict Loren had to get through this evening, the better. This time, when Phoebe asked him to sit, he didn’t even bother making a token protest, just marched to the nearest chair and sank down in it stiffly. She could insist that he sit, but she couldn’t force him to relax. Instead, he just flipped through the book. When she brought up the offensive chapter, his eyes flicked up. ”Noted.” Female reproduction—even the poorly described and ill-advised—would wait for another day. While he was interrupted, he meandered over to the oven to make sure it was hot enough for the actual baking before returning to his perch.

He got through a couple chapters before it was time to actually put the bread in the oven. He slid them inside, then went back to his sitting and his reading for a bit longer. After the eternity it had taken the dough to rise, the baking seemed to take an incredibly short time. Indeed, it seemed like only a few moments passed (or a chapter of the textbook) before it was time to pull the perfectly baked loaves from the oven.

Sliding them onto the counter to cool, he tidied up the kitchen and the dishes, then turned to Phoebe. ”There’s your bread. Now, it’s late, and I need to get home. Thank you for the dinner.” On the way out he returned the book, then checked that he had all the items he collected, before making his way into the cold and the dark to his actual house. This had been a long, hard, evening between the arrest and the bargaining and the staying up way too late, and he was glad it was finally over.
Families are like that—