choir practice (open)
luxere thread
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
OLIVER
After finding out that the luxere were extremely important for LongNight, Oliver decided it would be best if he himself tried to lure some. Luckily, people had already filled him in quite a lot and it didn't take too much research for him to learn enough information about the creatures before he felt ready to venture off on his own. The only real downside was that it would be outside and Oliver had started to grow sick of being around so much snow. Still, the luxere were far more important than his strong distaste for snow.

With two apples and some hay stuffed into his satchel, Oliver had made his way into the woodland, looking around for any luxere. From what he had heard, the deer liked light magic, which he didn't have, but they also liked people who didn't murder, which Oliver was 99.9% positive that he hadn't done...hopefully. There was one catch that Oliver wasn't too sure about: Singing. Now, he hadn't tried singing since he arrived, but he felt like he could sing decently well? It wasn't that he lacked the confidence, more of that he couldn't remember any songs to speak of.

Even after searching for a bit, Oliver unfortunately didn't find any luxere. Letting out a sigh he walked over to a tree and leaned against it before starting to sing whatever he was saying. It wasn't a song, not in the slightest, but it certainly was singing. "Please come out. I heard you will keep us from dying. Which would be great." Oh joy. Why couldn't he remember any songs when he needed it most?!
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 16 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Lily
sing me a song of a lass that is gone
Snow sucks. The cold also fucking sucks. Winter Deepfrost is the absolute worst, and Lily has always hated when the temperatures begin to drop. She’s just a warm weather kind of gal, more at ease sweating and half-naked than shivering and bundled up. But the work must be done, and she’s sure that many will confirm this is probably the best way she can help prepare for the week-long torture session.

Today, however, she isn’t the only one trying to lure the fancy reindeer in. In the pauses between her words, she can hear the briefest echoes of something - someoneone else, though she can’t see him yet.

“Ye gales, that gently wave the sea
And please the canny boat-man
Bear me from hence or bring to me
My brave and bonny Scot-man.”

Maybe it’s Lily. Maybe it’s that Oliver isn’t singing loud enough, but sure enough, as the redhead comes through the woods the luxere begin to come out of ‘hiding’ (though how one can hide deer with glowing antlers, she’ll never know). They follow her like the children followed the Pied Piper - eagerly, and without reservation. They remember this one. She is good.
merry of soul, she sailed on a day
over the sea to Skye
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
OLIVER
None of the luxere seemed to arrive when he sang, but in the distance, he could hear powerful singing. Making his way towards it, he saw a redheaded girl, singing a song that reminded him of being back home. As the luxere began to appear, his mind was flooded with particular memories. A gentle voice, singing to him as he sat on his bed. The words coming to him in an instant. It felt a bit overwhelming, to have the memories flooding back, but it also filled him with warmth. With recognition.

Once the girl had stopped singing, he came out of the clearing, appearing close to her. Hopefully his singing wouldn't scare off the luxere. He knew it had been sung to him, and that he ended up singing it too. It was a part of him and it felt great to finally have something that felt personal.

"Over in Killarney,many years ago
My mother sang a song to me
in tones so sweet and low
Just a simple little ditty
in her good old Irish way
And I'd give the world if she could sing
that song to me this day"

The words came out smooth and finally with confidence. His voice was far louder before and without realizing it, a smile had appeared on his lips.
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Lily
Oh! A fellow Celt!? His song almost stops her in her tracks. Almost.  

Lily’s eyes widen when she hears the man sing, an equally big smile spreading across her face like a hot knife through butter. The luxere at the edge of the herd begin to turn towards Oliver, extending their heads and sniffing at him in a very curious way, wondering in that deer-like way, if perhaps he might have something for them to eat? It is the singing that draws them in, but the food that keeps them happy and content.

The entertainer claps her hands. The tune isn’t familiar, but the phrasing and the name Killarney are recognizeable to the lass. “Oh very good!You have a lovely voice.” She takes a few steps forward and asks brightly “Where are you from?”

She knows now that there are all sorts of world. All kinds of people, with different backgrounds. From different times, even - like Bastien, who was from her Earth, but a different year.
over the sea to Skye
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
The sudden boost in confidence and memory from his past had brought joy to Oliver. So much joy he hardly even noticed the other girl watching him, instead he focused on the Luxere who were soon walking up to him. It was a bit weird to be pretty much surrounded by the creatures and based on the looks on their faces, they absolutely wanted a little bit more than singing.

It felt a bit overwhelming to suddenly know a song from his childhood. It was a bit hard to comprehend the feelings he felt. It was bits of confusion mixed with happiness. Oliver was overjoyed that he could remember something, but it only left him with even more questions about who he once was. Turning to look at the girl, a faint blush had spread across his face at the compliment. "Thank you....you sound really good too." The choice of words wasn't exactly all that great, but he still had a lot of heart in what he said.

The next bit was.... a lot harder. The smile on his face dropped ever so slightly, but still remained a bit. He felt...bad? Or well, not really bad. "Unfortunately, I'm not sure where I'm from....but I do know that a female person in my life taught me the song." Again, very poor wording. Oliver couldn't remember who had sung the song to him. He simply remembered a feminine, soothing voice. One that would lull him to sleep and help him feel better in dark times. What those dark times were? He couldn't tell. Oliver could only assume that it was some sort of parental figure, considering he knew the song by heart.

Digging into his bag, Oliver pulled out an apple. With much struggle, he managed to rip the apple in two, before placing a half into both hands. He held out the apples to the deer, waiting for them to hopefully dig in.

Looking over at the girl, he tried his best to gesture to his bag. "I have some more food in there, if you want to try and grab it? I don't know how long it'll last, unfortunately. Hopefully long enough for us to lead them over to the Temple."
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:
Lily
Oh Lily knows she sounds good. But it was kind of the boy to say so. Even if he hadn’t, she still would have thought the echoes from the quiet winter nights and empty Outskirts provided great acoustics.

She manages to stifle a chuckle at his terminology.Female person. “So… you’ve never heard of Killarney?” she asks, curiously. The colonist may not know exactly where the city is, but she’s heard of it, as a place where people - particularly other indentured servants - come from. It’s across the ocean, in Ireland.

Anyway. Looking at the bag the guy is pointing to, Lily scoots around a couple of the luxere and grabs it, fishing through for a handful of hay and holding it slightly above the luxere’s reach, just so they won’t grab at it yet. “That’s ok. They like certain things in people, and they’ll probably follow us if we ration it a bit.” Saying so, the redhead offers the handful to the nearest doe and then begins to edge her way towards the Temple, hoping the mass of animals and the boy would accompany her.

“Got any other songs?” she asks to make conversation. It seemed more polite than just breaking out into something he may or may not know.
over the sea to Skye
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Oliver watches as she carefully begins to lure the luxere using the hay. He wasn't exactly sure how to go about this so he followed her lead. Luckily, the luxere hadn't quite finished off the apples, allowing him to use the remnants to lead him. "I mean....kind of? I know I've heard of it before now...but I couldn't say if I've ever visited. I really and truly remember basically nothing." Maybe she didn't understand him when he said he didn't know where he was from? He probably could've worded it a small bit better. "My memory is basically a box filled with random useless things, like lint and screws." What a good analogy.

It felt nice that she could have suggested that the luxere might like him. After all, she did say they liked certain people and hinted that they'd follow the two. So maybe the luxere didn't hate him! That's a reassuring thought.

"No other songs, unfortunately. I'm surprised I even remembered the one I sang. I mean...before you started singing, I didn't even remember it." It wasn't the happiest of things, but Oliver still felt joy over the fact that he could remember something. As she walked, he made his way with her, walking with the deer.

"You could teach me one or two? Plus, you have a nice voice. I'll just listen, even if I don't know the songs."
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:
Lily
Not knowing where you’re from isn’t the same as not knowing where a place is, so when Lilly asks about Killarney, she’s asking if he knows anything about her world, more or less - the geography, the names of places. Anything, really. Whether or not he can remember anything isn’t something she’s choosing to care about. Not right now, at least. She can’t be anyone’s caretaker or bosom friend right now - that just isn’t what she does for men anymore.

No offense to Oliver and his memory loss. He couldn’t possibly have known her feelings regarding emotional labor and the male gender.

“Well, music can be funny like that. I sometimes get tidbits of tunes that I don’t quite remember the words to, but are prompted by a word or a feeling.” She offers him a brief sympathetic look. “But I can imagine that might be a little scary. Hope it comes back soon. I’m Lily, by the way.” Offering another handful of hay to the Luxere as they walk, Lily hmmmmms in the back of her throat, looking for another song that might be easy enough for Oliver to catch on to. Eventually she lands on a popular carol, though the tune that she offers isn’t what the world knows now.

“Joy to the World
The Lord is come
Let earth receive her King
Let every heart prepare him room
And heaven and nature sing
And heaven and nature sing
And heaven, and heaven, and nature sing.”

She continues to amble back towards the Temple, assuming the boy is there all the while.

{we can end after your next post, if you like!}
over the sea to Skye
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Oliver stares forward, thinking about what she said. "You know...I may have done that before? I've been humming stuff randomly. I don't know what it means, but it all makes sense in my head? Maybe next time I start humming, someone will be able to recognize it." Then he could learn the lyrics and be reminded of another piece of his past. "It's all good. I'm learning to just live with it. I'm Oliver." He kind of had to be okay with it. There weren't any other options for him. Being a little bitch didn't really help, despite how frustrated he constantly felt.

As Lily started singing, Oliver hummed a bit. The tune felt familiar for sure, but the words were coming with him. He hummed along with her, actually remaining in pretty good tune. It felt nice to hear her singing and be surrounded by so many animals. It felt lively and like maybe, things would be going good in the future. He could be hopeful that all would be well...yeah. Things would be okay.
quotey quote!
ayeee goes to two lines
Wowza