Tithe to the Temple
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Jigano nodded soberly at Loren's summation of their healers. He knew of a few others who could heal at least a little, but where they would be he couldn't say. He hadn't seen Sascha in a season or more. Vervain as well, for that matter. He assumed she was at home raising Felix, but she might chose not to come into town, as Rory had. "There might be a few others among the Naturals who simply don't advertise their abilities," he said hesitantly. "Given the local mistrust of mages." 'Abandoned' might be factually true as far as the gods were concerned, but it wasn't a term that Jigano had used since one of his talks with Edrei. "But if we don't know about them we certainly can't count on them. Do you know if anyone with a unicorn will be staying at the Temple?" Isla and Zuriel would be at the Guild. Were there others? It was a question that he hoped Loren had an answer for, but if not it was one someone should probably find out.

The amulets were news to him, but very welcome. His expression brightened at their description. "Clever! That will help you be in two places at once! Do you mostly store healing and Spark Bird summons in them?" Those seemed like the two most obvious schools of magic for LongNight, but all types had their uses, depending on the situation.

Ahh, that explained the pouch, but Jigano's brow arched in surprise that something from a summon had actually remained behind. "That's handy..." He said it cautiously though, knowing damn well how dangerous the feathers could be from his own time with one. "Were you ever able to summon a luxere with red horns instead of white?" Some eagerness might have slipped through on that question as he shouldered his end of the rug and headed back in to wherever Loren directed him to go.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

loren
It very well might be that there were others with healing magic. However, Jigano already pointed out that they couldn’t rely upon that, or upon those potential others. Nor would the Temple have any healers if Loren wasn’t there. ”Remi and Deimos will be at the Guild and I don’t know of anyone else with a unicorn.” That was a huge part of the reason Wessex had ordered the summoner stay at the Temple. At the bard’s comment about the amulets being clever, the Launceleyn sighed. ”I did.” Though he’d also been told in no uncertain terms that his magic might not even be the most suitable for the situation at hand. He had also been informed that he himself was more a liability than an asset.

As they maneuvered the latest set of carpets back into the Temple and up the stairs, Loren frowned at the white-haired man’s words. ”I mean, if I want to burn things to the ground, sure.” Other than that, it didn’t seem to have much use to the Launceleyn. At the bard’s question about the red antlered luxere, the summoner shook his head. ”I’ve heard about Amalia's staff, but no, all my luxeres come out normally.” Or whatever they really were, since there was very little that was normal about summoning, the more he thought about it.
Never judge a book by its cover.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Damn. Jigano nodded acknowledgment of the lack of unicorns, disappointed that no others had bonded to anyone while he'd been blighted but hardly surprised. Such events tended to be rare and special, all the more amazing for how few and far between they were. "Ah well. Perhaps Ashetta and Kalt will reappear in time..." Unlikely in the extreme, and Jigano didn't know that their unicorns had traded healing for speed. The Launceleyn's sigh did not go unnoticed, however, and Jigano arched a brow - unseen from his place at the rear, but he followed it up with a cautious question. "You don't seem happy about that?"

The second trip was a little easier now that they knew what to expect, at least. The doors were already open, and they had worked out where they needed to back up or shift the carpet's height to make it around corners and through those lower lintels. He huffed a sound of amusement at Loren's uncertainty about the feather's use. "I think I've still got my iron lantern somewhere. It's what I kept my feather in for the longest time. There's a little catch in the bottom to pinch the shaft upright so the feather's vanes don't touch the rest of the structure. Its light might protect you like the luxere antlers do if you need to go out, or open the door for some reason." He paused as they gathered themselves to face the stairs again, voice turning a little grimmer. "The Spire Demon was particularly susceptible to fire. Binding the feather to the tip of a sword or spear with wire or strips of that pouch would make it a controllable weapon against similar creations, perhaps." One that would have to be used with great care, of course, but Loren already knew that.

He sighed a little in regret that red-antlered luxere remained beyond their reach, but nothing could be done about it. "We could have used the mind-protecting properties," he admitted wistfully. "But... hopefully being more prepared for it this year will help at least a little."
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

loren
Loren hadn’t seen Ashetta since Leafchange, and had no idea who Kalt was, so the summoner just shrugged. ”I’m not counting on it.” Indeed, he’d only rely upon those he’d spoken to or heard about since Deepfrost. Everyone else would just be a happy (or unhappy, as the case might be) surprise. Unsurprisingly, Jigano caught the Launceleyn’s unhappy sound, but he just shook his head. ”It’s not important.” Either his magic would work or it wouldn’t. As he’d known all along, there was only one way to test it.

As the discussion shifted to the feather, and the white-haired man offered to lend a lantern, Loren’s eyebrows rose. ”Can you describe the lantern in detail?” It was entirely possible he’d be able to create it. He’d definitely only use it as a weapon as a last resort, given how volatile it was. ”If I need to, I can direct it with my telekinesis. I’d rather not, though, since the Spire Demon exploded and I imagine it would be quite unfortunate if the monsters did the same. From what I understand, however, its light it useless against the monsters. As was the light of the antler they tried to remove from a regular luxere.” Telekinesis was a much safer bet, since, since he knew it worked; however, he’d also been told that the feather alone would not emit magical light.

However, Jigano’s comment about the red antlers was sobering: they had nothing to protect their minds, just their senses. And even then, not all of those. The Launceleyn tried not to let it show how much that bothered him as they placed down their latest set of carpets and began the trip downstairs for another round. "Hopefully." He didn't like relying on hope or on faith.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano hummed a faint sound of disbelief at Loren's deflection of 'unimportance' but he didn't know the mage well enough to pry. Not yet, at least. And if Loren was already under a lot of stress (as they all were, with LongNight coming) he didn't think the other man would appreciate an interrogation. Either he would tell the bard or he wouldn't - that was up to him, to take at his own pace. Jigano had learned the hard way with Remi how much damage he could do by pushing someone too far, trying to help with the best of intentions but accidentally hurting instead. It was a lesson he was still imperfect at, but at least he was trying now.

"I can bring it over when we're done with the carpets," he offered with a wry grin. "I don't have a feather anymore so I'm not using it, and it's just across the street in my office in the Atheneum." It had been left beside the fireplace gathering dust for the last season or so. He'd be glad to let someone else get some use out of it, after the trouble he'd had making it. Mention of the Spire Demon explosion earned a wince though, the bard nodding thoughtfully. "Telekinesis would be far more useful for using it as a weapon," he agreed, pushing down the half-hearted pulse of envy at the reminder of magic he no longer had. "Though I'm not sure the LongNight monsters would explode the same way. Some of them might, but others seem more... disembodied, for lack of a better word." He grimaced, frustrated as they all were at how much they had learned about the creatures, but how little they still really understood. "Who said the feather's light is useless, though? The feathers Rory and I received last year came towards the end of the Night, after the Spark Bird came to stay. We never really had the chance to try them against the monsters after she arrived." Hearing that the luxere antlers were only useful when attached to a living deer was less surprising. He thought they lost their light when the luxere died, Amalia's red antlers being the exception, but he hadn't had the heart to test it himself.

Carpets unrolled, at least they wouldn't need to make another trip up the stairs the bard hoped, and he nodded grimly to Loren's reluctant optimism. He would have preferred to be more prepared himself, but what choice did they have? There was only so much that they had access to, and increasingly fleeting time to prepare.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Jigano’s offer to bring over the lantern was quite welcome. ”Thank you.” At the very least, having an alternate place to keep the feather, or being able to give it to someone else to wield safely would be useful. As for whether or not the monsters would explode, Loren wasn’t going to risk it unless it was absolutely necessary.

As the bard asked who’d told the summoner about the feathers, he bit his lip. ”Remi said it was useless as a light source. And I’m worried that my magic might function differently from the real Spark Birds, if only because they’re much smaller than the one that showed up last year.” Where the alchemist had gotten his information, the Launceleyn couldn’t say, but Remi had seemed pretty sure. He’d also been more than clear that Loren’s magic was almost certainly not the answer to their problems or their prayers. Which is why they were reduced to bringing in yet another set of carpets. At least this time they could stay on the ground floor.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The bard nodded, glad to be able to offer the stressed-out mage something concrete. At Remi's name he sighed, nodding in cautious acceptance of the source. "I might have learned about some of the magical theory of Caido, but he has a lot more experience in its practical application. If he says it won't work so confidently, I see no reason to distrust him." Loren's point about his magic being different than the real thing had been a concern of the bard's since before the blight had stolen his mind from him completely, but the summoner would know his own limits best.

Or would find out what they were soon enough.

"How long will one of your summoned creatures last if it's called out of an amulet?" he asked curiously as they carted their carpet burden along. "I thought you had to maintain concentration to keep them around when you called them yourself... or at least, Rory has to, though he can't summon anything rare or mythical. If you aren't around to control them how long do they last?" If someone used one of those amulets to summon a Spark Bird or Luxere and the animal winked in and out of existence in the blink of an eye because the summoner wasn't there to control them, would it deter the monsters for more than a moment's surprise?
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren seemed to be nothing but doubts these days, but Jigano’s confirmation of Remi’s credentials was enough to settle at least that much. The feather was a potentially weapon, and pretty much nothing else. The next set of questions from the bard caused the summoner to frown. ”I don’t know. I assume it’s tied to the capabilities of the caster or user of the amulet rather than me. That’s how it worked with the Ascended, at least.” Pulling out the empty amulet, the Launceleyn concentrated for a moment, pouring a luxere into the item which caused his hand to glow for a moment, before holding it out to the white-haired man. ”One way to find out. There’s a luxere in there. Concentrate on where you want to summon it, and what you want it to do, then maintain your focus.” It wasn’t difficult, it just required a lot of effort. He’d been trained so well at this point that it was second nature, but others might not be so skilled.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
As neither mage nor Ascended, Jigano probably made as good a test subject as any. Then again, he had once been a spellcaster in his own right. Not a summoner, for the most part; he'd learned to call a blade of force and energy to fight for him when they faced opponents that weren't bothered by more mundane weapons, but usually his magic had been required to defend and distract, or to attack with sound or fear rather than to wade into the melee himself. Loren's idea to have him try it was a good one. He accepted the amulet with a solemn nod, fascinated by the method the other man had used to 'fill' it, and he examined the item for a moment before he held it out and exhaled a careful breath.

There was a clear area of stone floor nearby, and Jigano directed his attention towards it, standing tall and serene as he ordered his thoughts and then tried to will the deer out of the amulet and into the space provided, envisioning it turning a circle and then shaking its antlers. The deer appeared, prancing as it had been directed, and then stood still, seeming to watch the two men with innocent, empty eyes. Jigano frowned thoughtfully, eyes narrowed as he kept his attention on willing the deer to remain. "It's... effort," he admitted slowly. "I think if I get distracted it will disappear. I could probably walk with it, but not run... not for long." He tested it by glancing away, looking to the carpet to admire the faded and threadbare pattern on it for a moment--

And as soon as he did the deer winked out of existence, as if it had never been.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Well the test didn’t go as well as Loren hoped. And presumably Jigano wasn’t too pleased with it either. The summoner frowned, trying to figure out a way around this problem. Unfortunately, he’d been summoning since he was five—so by now it was second nature to him, like breathing—and he didn’t know how to impart that knowledge and training to others. ”Well. It’s better than nothing. Maybe we should distribute them to other Abandoned?” At least they would have some experience with the magic of this world. Maybe it would translate to summoning. ”Unless you’d like to practice.” He held out his hand for the amulet, perfectly willing to refill it; his golem was gone, and he didn’t mind taking a break from all the carpeting.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano was far from disappointed with the test. It had answered his questions, and proven to be better than he had expected, in truth. It wasn't as good as a creature appearing and remaining without effort for an hour, of course, but nothing on Caido was ever that easy. He smiled at Loren as he handed the amulet back with a chuckle. "Far from nothing, I'd say. It requires effort, yes, but it doesn't disappear as soon as it's summoned without its caster to control it. I could control it and keep it here, after all. The need to concentrate is not so high a price to pay for that. I would say that it helps to figure out how to distribute the amulets, though. Healing for those who will be moving, and summoning for those who should be able to remain in one place without needing to run." He shrugged lightly at the mention of practice, though a gleam in his eyes showed a flicker of raw envy for just a heartbeat before he buried it again. There was no use lusting after what he had lost, not now. And no use grinding it in, however sweet the brief rush of having a taste of magic back. It wasn't his magic, after all, no matter how kind Loren was to share his own.

"No... thank you. Though perhaps we could take a break from moving carpets to carry the meat in before something comes sniffing after it that Isuma and Astra can't chase off." He grinned nodding back at his own smaller sledge and the wrapped packages of smoked and dried venison on it. "Deer from the Greatwood this year, a lot more flavorful and less tough than what we had last year! Rory smoked it so there'd be no blood in it to draw the monsters on LongNight. Cube it into a stew to soften it up with some roots and vegetables and it'll be a pretty good meal for quite a few." Half the meat was for the Temple, the other half for the Guild. Another bag was carefully wrapped off to the side, but for the moment the bard focused on carrying as much food as he could lift into the Temple and down towards the Rathskeller, unless Loren directed him elsewhere with it.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Jigano could be as optimistic about this development as he liked. However, Loren knew this was a severe oversight, one he could’ve corrected if he’d gotten over himself and just talked to the people. While objectively he knew that the preparations were ultimately laid at the foot of Wessex and Ronin—especially given that the summoner hadn’t been here—the Launceleyn couldn’t help but feel personally responsible for every mistake. So as the bard chuckled, Loren just took the amulet back, a haunted look in his eyes. ”I imagine it might be difficult to focus, in the heat of the moment.” Especially given the horrors he’d been shown, he felt few would keep their cool or their concentration.

As the white-haired man suggested they bring in the meat, the summoner nodded. ”Of course. And thank you, and Rory, for the contribution.” He’d supplied his own vension, but more was always welcome. The recipe was also nice, though Loren knew how to make stew already. Still, Jigano was just trying to be helpful. The Rathskellar was as good as place for it as any, so the Launceleyn just focused on helping the bard transport the food for now.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He had seen little joy in the Launceleyn's eyes since he had come back from the blight-fueled oblivion that he had spent nearly a month lost in. Even the moderate success of the amulet gave the other man no respite, it seemed, but Jigano was still too buoyed by surviving what he had considered a death sentence to lose all hope at what seemed a comparatively minor setback. "Let Wessex and Ronin know of the limits," he said, considering how to try and navigate Loren's pessimism with a future that was already far brighter than it had been last year, when they had been far less prepared. "So that they can give the summoning amulets only to people steady enough to manage a cool head under fire. Deimos, for one. Rexanna. Wessex," he added reluctantly, the I suppose silent but implied with a clever twist of intonation. "At least the healing amulets won't require prolonged concentration, I'd guess. More of a burst spell than a lingering one, if it's like my old healing magic."

"Our pleasure," he reassured Loren with a smile. "I've got some gifts to deliver to the perch when we're done here, but meat isn't among them. Even smoked, it's better not to leave it outside to draw unwanted attention." There was that book Remi had found last year, talking about how to draw the monsters to the doors of your enemies... though Jigano suspected it was a double-edged sword.

The food was transported more easily than the carpets, at least, though going downstairs was a nice change from their previous trips up them. When they returned to the sleds Jigano looked back at the (thankfully now smaller) pile of carpets with resigned amusement. "I know you don't have much free time right now, but when you get the chance I'd appreciate your help picking out some books from the Atheneum to bring over for whoever will be staying at the Temple. A week with the same people living so tightly packed will be hard enough without some quiet distractions to pass the time with."
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Jigano, at least, agreed with Loren’s assessment that they should distribute amulets to the more battle-ready individuals. For his part, he agreed with the bard’s assessment of who those individuals were. Wessex and Rexanna would have his magic already, if all went well, but he supposed providing them with amulets would just improve their chances. It wasn’t as if the Launceleyn needed them. ”That makes sense to me. And healing is usually a burst, except with difficult wounds, or old wounds, or those caused by dark magic.” Actually, only Remi’s blindness had given the summoner any trouble, but it had been quite a memorable experience. Still, he was assuming a lot there, and assuming the worst. Again.

”I can see why that would be a bad idea.” The less they attracted the monsters, the better; even he, uninitiated in the ways of LongNight as he was, knew that much. ”What gifts?” The summoner thought they’d finished setting up the perch. Thankfully, getting the food to and from the Rathskellar went quickly enough, though they were left with the few remaining carpets. Sighing, he called upon his golem again before picking up yet another rug. ”I’d be happy to help transport some volumes.” It was a good idea. Even if the Launceleyn would be too vigilant to read for pleasure, it would help keep others placated.