break in case of emergency
for Phoebe
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
the wraith
She hates having to do this. She really fucking hates having to do this - but the safety of the many…. Yadda yadda yadda. You all know the drill by now.

So it is probably redundant to say that Wessex is trying to stuff all the emotions away while she heads towards the Medical College. If her body is a forceflex trash bag then the annoyance, the bitterness, the general anger she has towards several people right now is making the sides of the bag distend and maybe leak a little. Yuck. Not the best picture and this new encounter probably isn’t going to help. Before she reaches the hall to the College, the Queen stops and takes a deep, unnecessary breath, preparing to be set upon and berated and all that jazz.

Well if it saved everyone’s lives, then so be it. They’re on like, plan F right now. And unfortunately for her, it involves the Medical College and the midwife.

Following the soft sounds of people, Wessex calls out to the girl just loud enough to be heard without intruding. “Phoebe? I need to talk to you about something important.”
she's pullin' the trigger
cause it's me and the moon, she says
and i have no trouble with that
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
Let you go and the lonely in
To take my heart again
Phoebe had been busy that...day? Night? Mid-afternoon? Who knew anymore. As much as she had tried to maintain a sleep schedule for the boys, the darkness threw that all out of whack. As it was, she had been tending the three little broken hearts, wiping tears, hugging and rocking, quiet assurances, and all the love the midwife could muster for her nephews. It was where the Ascended Queen would find her in the College, seeing to the boys who were currently being appeased with cookies amidst a pile of pillows and blankets from what looked to be a ramshackle blanket fort. The midwife paled to see the queen, and quickly stood, remembering that she had apparently threatened to take the children from her at one point in time. Pim felt her unease and stepped in front of the boys, stretching his wings out as if to hide them.

She steeled herself for what was likely to follow, and the young woman pulled herself to her full height, head held high as she approached. "What can I help you with?" she said softly, though her apprehension was clear in her honeyed gaze. If she thought she was going to take the boys from her, especially now, she would have a fight on her hands - as much of one as Phoebe could muster anyways.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
Phoebe must think Wessex an utter monster, to be capable of separating her from the boys right now; either that or utterly stupid. What would that accomplish? Nothing but the wailing of high-pitched voices, screams and tears and enough dramatics to raise the dead. Maybe one day the midwife will ask her about it and then, maybe one day, the Queen (or whatever she is at that time) will tell her that all she’d needed was a simple demonstration of capability, because she’d yet to see anything like that from the midwife. Birthing babies does not a mother make. And she’d seen first hand the girl’s inability to contribute a proper defense. Just… yelling and hiding and hatred from a woman who had set up a college with no students and hadn’t yet helped with any actual births. So that’s where Wessex was coming from.

In truth, the kids are the furthest from her mind except for that they exist in the bubble of ‘people to protect right now.’ And they’re right here in front of her.

With a little jerk of her head back towards where she came, Wessex indicates that she’d like to talk a little ways away from the kids. Taking a couple of steps back, she waits for Phoebe to join her before beginning a quiet conversation. “I don’t know if you’ve heard, but the Rathskellar burned down and a door was open for god knows how long. So I’m looking at potential plans if things go downhill.” Because she doesn’t trust that door to hold, or for the cave-in to deter anything. The monsters will try again. Or they’re already here.

“I know you sealed up that one exit, but what about the rest of the College?”
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
To take my heart again
Phoebe followed Wessex quietly, trusting Pim with the boys. But at mention of the Rathskeller she nodded, wrapping her arms around her waist. ”I have heard. I’ve treated a few people for the burns suffered.” she said, thinking back to her tiff with Jata shortly after it. But that Wessex was coming here, to her, for a backup plan surprised her, and it showed on her face. From what she had heard, Wessex didn’t trust her with her own nephews. Why would she trust her for this.

”I have taken every measure possible to secure the college. I didn’t want a repeat of what I experienced at the Palmer’s last year.” she said softly. ”The only exit not secure is this one that you came through. But our doors are much sturdier than the Rathskeller door.” The doors to the college were like those to the temple proper, large and imposing, heavy pieces of steel adorned hardwood. ”As my post said, all are welcome at the College for LongNight. If people feel this is a safer place to be, they are welcome.”
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
Well. Let’s be clear. Wessex already has a plan and is wondering if it’s viable. Phoebe happens to be the gatekeeper and this is her domain. It’s like, the second time the Queen has stepped foot in this building. Of course she doesn’t know jack shit about it.

Her gaze wanders to the imposing structures beyond Phoebe and the boys. There’s obviously plenty of room for a group of people that seems to keep shrinking, and at least here, the windows are darkened and there are floor dressings. It would do. The only question is whether or move everyone now or later. Or make it a slow trickle. The problem will be whether or not you could hear someone through the doors, especially if it’s an emergency. The Wraith can hear. Bastien and Amun and Clem could probably hear, but would any non-Ascended hear what could be quiet knocking, or a frantic whisper?

Wessex nods slowly. “And they lock from this side?” she asks, making sure to cover all the bases. “If something happens in the Temple, I’d like to make the College the place for everyone to go, so I’ll do some precautionary supply moving. If you make sure the door is closed unless someone is going in or out, that would be great.” Her lips crease together slightly. “And we need to slowly spread the word. But keep the foot traffic to a minimum.”

What’s the point of a refuge if getting there allows the monsters in?
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
To take my heart again
Phoebe nodded to Wessex’s question. ”Yes, they do, three heavy deadbolts.” she said, showing the Ascended the sizeable locking mechanism’s within the door. Phoebe was the only one in the Temple with a key to the place either. She controlled who could come in, and who remained out. And frankly, if something came knocking on her door, she was not willing to chance anything – not with the children inside.

”We should have plenty of supplies, since I was not certain how many people would be here, so you might not want to worry about transporting anything that will make too much noise.”” Phoebe said, gesturing to the boxes stacked high of medical supplies, foodstuffs, and various other things people might require. As far as keeping the door closed? The midwife nodded without hesitation. ”I will see to it that this place remains as secure as possible while word spreads.”
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
“Yeah, that bar is going to remain outside,” Wessex manages with an eye roll meaning mostly ‘whatcha gonna do?’ People will be people. And she remembers LongNight being far more bearable some years when she was able to drink herself to sleep. The problem comes with the Outlanders not having the need for silence ingrained in them since birth. Alcohol makes them rowdy. Alcohol makes them loud and prone to even more stupid decisions than usual.

So that’s about it, Wessex thinks, eager to get back to the Temple proper and start whispering the word. “Good. If anything happens, make sure someone grabs the shells…” A pause. She swallows. “I will be the last one in. But if I tell you to close it before I’m in - do it. Don’t worry about me. The other Ascended will be able to verify whether or not it’s me if ‘I’ come knocking.” That nasty little part of her sneers and says that the midwife would be more than happy to leave her out with the monsters if she could get away with it, but none of that makes it past her ‘issuing directions face.’

Taking a last look around the chamber, Wessex turns to go, then turns back quickly. “Anything to add?”
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
To take my heart again
Phoebe nodded her agreement about the bar. The last thing they needed were rowdy drunks in the College. ”If needed I’ve a few solutions that can sedate a person if they get too rambunctious from drink.” she assured. Just because they didn’t bring the bar in didn’t mean they wouldn’t have already gotten obnoxiously drunk after all.

At the rest of the instructions, Phoebe nodded, expression neither confirming nor denying any feelings towards them. It was simply a safety protocol. Feelings weren’t part of the equation. Wessex was better suited to be the last one in than she was after all, having basically no combat experience whatsoever. ”Nothing at all. I will begin preparations immediately.” Phoebe said quietly, not one to waste time when it was of the essence and people’s health and safety was on the line.