My Leg!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Bastien
Bastien's pity party for himself he had begun to throw in his head had not halted, but Loren had very definitely put a pause to it with his authoritative voice. He had tried his best to help the man carry him to the infirmary, but with one leg out of commission, he struggled to stand and walk enough to be much use.

"I want you to know I thought this was a terrible idea." He admitted as he scrambled into the infirmary. "But I was not about to leave my wife alone out there. ...Not until I had to." Bastien frowned, guilt seeping through his chest as he thought of Rexanna still out in the dark, heading specifically to find a monster. He knew she was smart, he knew that, but she was not invincible.

Closing his eyes with a sigh, he pinched the bridge of his nose and held up his leg, waiting for Loren to begin his work.

What God doesn't give to you
You've got to go and get for yourself
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Now, Loren wasn’t that strong, physically. But right now, he was angry enough that it practically flowed off him in cold and palpable waves. It certainly gave him the strength to slip around to the Ascended’s other side and half-carry, half-drag the wounded man to the infirmary. Good thing he didn’t feel any pain.

Frankly, he wanted to chew Bastien out and then find out where the fuck Rexanna was, but the injury came first. Plus there was the strange bartender, who was being oh so helpful and ignoring the summoner’s orders. For now, it was a help, but if the bartender thought the Launceleyn had been authoritative before, well, let’s just say there was a lot more where that came from. Because right now he wasn’t just acting as militia, but also was a healer with a wound in an infirmary. And he would not be disobeyed a second time.

They dumped Bastien on one of the beds. ”Save your breath. We’ll talk about that later.” The summoner’s voice came out crisply, but quietly, only for the wounded man’s ears. Yes, yes, Ascended didn’t breathe but Bastien was still leaking fluid and Loren didn’t want to hear any dumb excuses until after the injury had been treated. Turning a sharp gaze on the bartender, Loren drew upon every ounce of willpower and command and sank it into his next order. ”Give me space.” If he had to, he wasn’t above summoning something to enforce his command, and dealing with the consequences later. With that, he knelt, examining the leg injury, hand glowing a soft-sky blue as he laid it on the Ascended’s wound—assuming the pants had a hole in them—just outside the wounded area.

The light poured into the injury and...nothing happened. The summoner resisted the urge to curse as his eyes narrowed; he’d been afraid of this, but he and Wessex hadn’t had time to test that healing magic was ineffective on Ascended. Still, he had more tricks up his sleeve. All he needed was a bit of time and space to think.
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Bastien
This healer really was angry. Bastien did stay quiet, happy to let the man do his work while he stewed in his own worries. With no pain and dulled sensation in his leg, he didn't think too much of Loren down by his wounds, staring at the ceiling with his fingers laced together.

The flash of healing light caused him to look down, but it seemed to be ineffective. "Perhaps...it would be better for me to pray to The Voice?" He asked, sure it would be unwelcome for most of the people in the temple to have The Voice brought in, but she could at least heal him.

the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
The good news: bartender had retreated after helping transport Bastien. The bad news, which was a much longer list: Rexanna had ventured outside for reasons unknown then been abandoned by her husband, Loren’s healing magic didn’t work on Ascended, and Bastien was following up on going outside and then leaving his wife with another spectacularly bad idea. The summoner really wasn’t in the mood for more stupidity. ”I hope you didn’t give up on Rexanna out there at the first sign of difficulty like you apparently expect me to give up when my first spell didn’t work. Let me do my job.”

Okay, maybe that was counterproductive, but he was scared for his friend, worried about his magic, and nervous about the wound. Ascended usually healed quickly on their own, so the injury must be bad if it was enough to overcome their natural regeneration. However, bedside manner and all that. Thankfully they were alone: he lowered his voice so no one could eavesdrop. ”Please don’t pray. I don’t want to cause a panic. Just let me work. I promise I’ll patch you up.” There’s been enough unrest regarding The Voice because of the blight and the LongNight monsters, and he knew there was more to come with this mysterious portal to Halo. The goddess’ presence wouldn’t be welcome, though it was interesting that she could presumably manifest at will even during this dark week. Hey

Picking up a nearby pad, he pressed down, hoping to stem the leaky fluid while his mind frantically searched for another solution. While his thoughts were otherwise occupied, his mouth asked all the questions that were on the tip of his tongue. ”What possessed you to go outside? What happened out there? Why did you leave the door unlocked? Did you and Rexanna come up with a code in case you were separated before you left the Temple?” That seemed like a good start. While interrogating a patient was probably against the rules, the summoner was a student and this felt like an emergency, so screw the rules.

Alright the pad wasn’t working and again, student, so his paltry training in field medicine hadn’t prepared him for this. Which was why he went back to his magic. His healing didn’t work. But there were creatures that could heal things he couldn’t, though he didn’t know if that applied to Ascended. And he could summon creatures that were basically the real deal. It was definitely worth a shot.

Which was why he removed his hands and the pad from Bastien’s wound. Simultaneously, the Launceleyn’s brow furrowed as a full sized unicorn popped into being next to him. It lowered its head, and its horn shimmered and glowed as it touched the Ascended’s leg; immediately the torn flesh and muscle started knitting closed. Loren felt a savage grin forming as he let out a triumphant and joyful whoop. Magic, one: Ascended wounds, zero. Now if only he could skip the middle-unicorn in the future. However the happiness didn’t last long, since he still had an enormous mess to clean up with Bastien and Rexanna.
Families are like that—
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien
Loren's words about Rexanna stung and Bastien bit back, the guilt in his stomach immediately rushing up. "Don't you dare say I gave up on my wife. I would have died for her if I thought it would have been best. But she had a better chance without me." He still believed that, as much as it hurt to not be with her; he knew when he was a dead weight.

He did not respond when Loren spoke to him again quieter, shaking his head and looking off to the side. He considered getting off the table and hobbling out into the temple, just waiting to see if the wound would heal or not. But if Rexanna did return (when, he reminded himself, not if) he needed to be in the best shape he could be so he could be there for her.

At least he got to be healed by a unicorn, which would probably be a good story later. Bastien watched the creature quietly, refusing to look too impressed.

Bastien gave out a heavy sigh at the questions. As much as he didn't want to speak to the man, he felt grumpy enough about the whole situation to want to complain about it. "The strange small man with the red hair...ah...Sam, I believe, wanted us to. Rexanna was going to go, so I was not going to let her go alone. He was trying to speak to the monsters, lo stupido. And no, the door wasn't unlocked, because I had to argue to get in, didn't I?"

The idea of the code, though...he couldn't deny that was a good idea. "We...do not have a code, but if she returns, I have more than enough things I could ask her to know." If that was how they were doing it now, he at least had that prepared.

the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Alright, fair, the comment about Rexanna had been a bit too much. Fear and anxiety made Loren sharp and a bit harsh—though he was genuinely annoyed that Bastien had abandoned his wife—but that was no excuse for what the summoner had said. ”I’m sorry. That was uncalled for.” He was legitimately contrite, though his voice still held a bit of an edge to it. ”I’m just worried.” That came out softly. Presumably the Ascended would understand.

While the summoner wasn’t expecting much from Bastien at this point, a little bit of thanks for pulling off the unicorn healing trick would’ve been nice. The creature’s horn stayed near the wound until Loren was sure the spell had run its course. Having the unicorn step back, he knelt and examined the tendon as best he could. ”How does it feel?” It looked a little tender, still, but the Launceleyn wasn’t an expert. Still, the spell was incredibly useful, though it was a bit elaborate since he could only have one summoned creature out and this type of healing couldn’t easily be done on the go. Maybe, just maybe, though, there was a way to get past those problems. As he awaited the Ascended’s response, the Launceleyn focused all of his energy and attention on the horn.

However, he was distracted by the explanation about what they’d been doing out there in the first place. They wanted to go talk to the monsters. For a brief moment, the Launceleyn closed his eyes and prayed to uncaring gods for patience and for the safety of those who were out there, trying to negotiate with beings that were actively trying to kill them all. ”What were you hoping to accomplish by talking to them? And is it just Rexanna and Sam out there?” Hopefully they were looking to do something more than ‘to see if we could.’ Although it sounded as if Bastien might not have many answers, if red-head was the ringleader and had been the one to invite the blue-eyed woman along.

If Rexanna came back, Loren was going to have a long chat with her about taking unnecessary risks and endangering others. If. He tried not to dwell on that if. Luckily, there was a convenient target for his tension, sitting on one of the infirmary cots, injured. ”No. You have to lock or bar the doors from the inside. They were open, because you didn’t tell anyone you were leaving. Anything could’ve gotten in.” Just because he’d knocked and hadn’t tried to enter didn’t mean that the doors weren’t unlocked. However, it seemed that this whole operation had been thrown together sloppily and hastily; the Launceleyn gritted his teeth when Bastien admitted they hadn’t come up with any ideas about what to do if they were separated. ”Better start thinking of some tough questions now then.” And the summoner would do the same.
Families are like that—
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien
Loren apologised for his comment and Bastien blew out a huff, feeling the anger within him dissolving already. He had always had a quick temper, though set off by very few things, but when he was mad it rarely lasted for long. "...You are right to be worried. I am as well. But I must believe she will be alright, or I cannot live with myself." He meant it, too; he had never been a man with suicidal tendencies but if Rexanna died out in the dark he knew he would find new levels of hell to fall into.

He sat up and moved his leg, to the left and right. Without pain, it was surprisingly hard to tell how his leg was doing, but it looked better, and with an experimental press against the table, felt steadier (though not perfect. He could feel it was weaker). "Better. Thank you. I have never seen anyone heal with a unicorn before; perhaps hospitals should be staffed by them." This was a joke, but it was poorly delivered, his voice too flat and distracted to properly give it.

"I have absolutely no idea. I was against the whole plan - the monsters have made it clear they are our enemies and I was more than content to never look at them, never mind talk." Bastien crossed his arms, grumpy about the whole thing, but then over a moment sighed and took his hands out to gesture some doubt. "I...believe Rexanna said Samuel had said something about them once being like us. Ascended. Perhaps he thinks they can be redeemed, but I think he is a fool for that."

He had not thought about the door. "Then I apologise. My mind was admittedly occupied with thoughts of this idiotic plan when I was leaving. As for questions I have many. Rexanna and I have spent much time together, as we are married, you know. She knows my secrets and I hers."

the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Rexanna might’ve been able to take care of herself under normal circumstances, but LongNight was the exact opposite of normal circumstances. And when the blue-eyed woman came back without eyes (assuming she came back) maybe her husband would understand that. However, arguing that point would probably not be worth it, so Loren just grunted in acknowledgment. He could understand Bastien needed everything he could not to fall into despair. The Launceleyn was so deep in that pit that he sometimes forgot what it felt like to simply be happy.

Perhaps hospitals should be staffed with unicorns. The Ascended wasn’t going to get any argument about that either. Unfortunately, there weren’t enough unicorns to go around: the summoner turned to his creature, regarding it carefully. ”I’m the only one who can summon mythical creatures.” And only a few had bonded the creatures, as far as he knew. However, his magic had evolved, somehow, in a way he didn’t quite understand. Maybe it was time to make that work for him.

Focusing as intently on his summons as he could, Loren tried to recapture the feeling when the Spark Bird had left its feather. How desperate he’d been for something more than he currently had. Anything, any weapon, any tool that could help them. Then shifting all his attention to the horn, he dismissed the rest of the unicorn.

And miracle of miracles, while the horse disappeared, the horn remained, hovering in the air for a glorious and beautiful moment.

It started falling to the ground immediately, but he caught it with his telekinesis. Letting out another triumphant cry, he turned to Bastien excitedly. However, the Launceleyn’s joy was short lived, as the Ascended went on to talk about the dumb chain of events that had convinced them to go outside; the Launceleyn tucked the horn into his belt as he listened. His eyes furrowed as Bastien went on. It was true the monsters were once Ascended. However, everyone seemed pretty sure there was no reasoning with them. Only hiding, and, as a desperate last resort, fighting.

Unfortunately, there was nothing more to be done here. Standing up, the summoner sighed. ”Alright. We’ll talk about this further once Rexanna is back. In the meantime, I’ve done all I can for your leg.” Hesitating for just a moment, he held out his wrist for Bastien. ”I’ve offered to let all the Ascended drink from me during LongNight. I have healing and summoning, along with a few other tricks.” Bastien had seen Loren’s telekinesis already. If the Ascended chose not to drink, however, the Launceleyn would likely depart, having done all he could here.

All that was left was to pray for Rexanna and Sam.
Families are like that—