I Think I Have To Try
Open
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Nate
There's a shadow just behind me
Shrouding every step I take
Making every promise empty
Pointing every finger at me

There was only so much time Nate could spend wallowing in self pity and despair before he actually thought he was going to do something he might regret. And he had reached that point just after finding their way to the temple. Some time to sleep, a few checks on Sam, and he was ready to be doing something.

It would be killing two birds with one stone if he did something he’d actually been asked, wouldn’t it?

So Nate made his way to the Medical College, being careful to shut the door behind him. Honestly, he wasn’t sure if he was allowed in the other part of the building, but it wasn’t actually locked, so, what else was he going to do. And there was the vague memory of Phoebe asking him to go around the college over Longnight, which she wouldn’t have asked if it was locked up, right?

The actual examination rooms seemed as good a place to start as any, so Nate made his way upstairs, and into one of the rooms. The book Phoebe had given him was in his hand, and he was absentmindedly writing things in it while he wandered, mostly half formed thoughts and suggestions, he was in a world of his own as he walked and wrote.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
the rot will always be there, under the surface, waiting for your mask to decay
you swore to your parents that you would be virtuous
Maybe she hasn’t gotten over the fact that the Guildhall had burned down. Maybe she hasn’t gotten over ruining her god quest. Maybe she hasn’t gotten over the fact it’s LongNight, and quite possibly always the worst time of year for her.

Maybe she’s tired of being a warrior constantly, unable to heal and craft, not that she’s unwilling.

It’s at least something to keep her from feeling quite so hollow inside, and so she makes her way to the college – drifting toward maybe asking someone to teach her what to do so she isn’t so useless. Though in the back of her mind it’s a lost cause – the constant tones of always being useless, not enough, pointless, reverberating around her mind over and over again. She wears nothing more than a short sleeved shirt, hair tied back in a swift and fast braid, no weapons on her person with Auni at her side. The scar on the side of her neck is on full display, a few more scars adorn the column from her time during the blight, too.

She’s never looked particularly pretty, but she’s there to learn. Not to make a statement.

At first, she notices there’s nobody there at the entrance. And she’s not exactly confident enough to go and scout the rooms in case she barges in on someone. So she drifts near the beginnings of where the examinations rooms are, sucking in a breath before she speaks. “Hello?” Wondering if anyone is even there, or if it too is a useless cause.
the things you've done, come to you in the night
and whisper 'you lied, you lied'
KIADA
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Nate

Half a page of scribbled lines was all Nate had managed by the time he gets distracted, a noise that sounds like it might be the door making him turn, cock his head, and the soft footsteps drawing him back towards the hallway. There is no answer to the echoing hello, no verbal answer at least. Instead, he sticks his head out of the door and stares at the stranger, as if he’s trying to decide if she’s real.

Had he been hoping to be alone? It wasn’t really a question Nate wanted to think about long enough to answer (no, he hadn’t really) but he couldn’t say he expected the woman standing in the hall either. She looked like she could kick his ass, half looks like she wants to, though that’s probably just him projecting past experiences onto her.

Suddenly, like he suddenly realizes he’s been staring without speaking for what is rapidly becoming a weird amount of time, Nate clears his throat and steps out of the room fully, closing his pencil into the book to save his page (an unnecessary move, considering he was still on the first page). ”Hello! Is there... something I can do to help you?” It wasn’t really an offer he felt qualified to make at the moment, but what else was he really good for? And maybe she was a student, and helping her was one of the things he was supposed to be doing.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Auni is the one that spots the stranger first, tiny pale nub of a tail wagging and the slight tapping of his feet – something that immediately captures Kiada’s attention, and she follows the Luxere’s gaze to the man that emerges from one of the rooms. She hadn’t spotted him before, hadn’t particularly cared enough too. If there were monsters that lurked in the night, in the darkness of the Temple, at this point she thinks she’d gladly let them take her.

But he offers help, and she focuses on him – bright eyes and quite dark hair, and she nods softly though she doesn’t smile. Not yet, anyway. “Yes… Actually, I was hoping to maybe learn a thing or two about healing?” A frown finds her face, uncertain how to ask it. If the phrasing is right. If any of it is right. “Just some things that might help people before someone with magic can reach them?” Her head tilts decidedly avian-like, and her anxiety rushes up at the stupidity of the question, trickling a small amount of feathers to rise along her shoulders – mostly hidden by her shirt.

Though if you’re busy because of all of us Guild people, I can come back at a later time?
KIADA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Nate

At least he wasn’t alone in taking a moment before speaking, though the woman seem to get through it far more gracefully than he felt he had. Or maybe he’s just distracted by the little glowing deer, a miniature of the ones that led them here (had she been in that group? Should he recognize her?) but somehow stranger for being indoors.

Then, she asks about healing, and it’s as if a flip is switched in Nate’s brain, an easy smile spreading across his face as he closes the distance between them. ”You chose something I might actually be able to help you with.” He says smoothly, holding a hand out for her to shake, if she so chooses. ”I’m Nathaniel, and... I’m a teacher here.” The words seemed to surprise him a little bit as they left his mouth, Though they weren’t a lie. It just felt so... mundane, compared to everything that had happened, everything he’d gone through. A proper dose of normality.

Nate shifts his weight, leaning back to look through the door he’d come from and into the examination room. ”I’m not really busy right now. But...” It almost sounds like he’s trying to talk himself through helping her. ”I can go through some really informal stuff with you, if you want. Or... I’ll be running a class on basic medical knowledge when it’s not so...” He gestures weakly. ”...shitty.” Saying it out loud made it more real, locked him into doing something later on, even if the bird like woman east interested in a formal class.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
In the end, she had been fairly reclusive. Having left for her quest which was a failure from the start, having returned heartbroken and destructive at the end before everything went up in flames. It doesn’t surprise her that she doesn’t recognize him. Nor does it surprise her that he doesn’t recognize her. Still, she’s somewhat surprised at the easy smile that crosses his face and something in her reverts to her survival mode — pushing all her feelings and thoughts away to get through it, to pretend if only to fall apart later. So she offers him her own small smile and nod in acknowledgment.

I’m Kiada.” She says, taking his hand and giving it a shake, wondering if he can feel the scars on her hands, if her body is as cold as her heart has become. “Seems like I found the right person, Nathaniel.” She says, aiming to add some humor in, to place the mask back over herself. A brief smile is sent his way though as he explains. Shrugging her shoulders, her eyes flit back toward him. “Informal is fine. I can always come back for more official things when it’s better out there.” She offers.

Just some basic first aid would be nice. How to stop bleeding if it’s really bad, what kind of wounds need what… things like that.” Mostly how to deal with them until they can get somewhere.
KIADA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Nate

”Pleasure to meet you.” Nate says immediately, more out of habit than anything else. He’d glad she took his outstretched hand, it makes the whole situation a little less awkward, less tense feeling, at least in his opinion. Kiada looks... well, not tense, but not wholly comfortable either, but it’s not like he knows her well enough to actually make that call. ”You haven’t learned anything yet. I might not be the right person still.” The quip came easily, grim still bright on his face and the hint of a laugh in his tone.

Nate claps his hands together when she says informal is fine, nodding as he does. That was perfect, considering all the teaching he’d done before (none). It might not be entirely fair to Kiada, but he can use this as a chance to get at least a little bit of experience, before he does an actual class. ”What you’re talking about it what I’d call emergency first aid. Enough to keep someone alive long enough to get them to someone who knows what they’re doing.” He begins as an explanation, before pausing and furrowing his brows, going over things in his head.

It made the most sense to start with something she’d mentioned, right? Or at least, something close. ”One of the most important things to know is what you should and shouldn’t touch. Some wounds look worse than they are, like lacerations on the head, and some are bad but can be made worse by touching it, like a weapon or something. A good rule of thumb is if there’s something sticking out of a would, like a bone, or arrow, or... whatever, I don’t know, you don’t touch that. Tie off the affected area and keep it raised above the persons chest.” Nate stopped then, giving her a chance to ask questions, knowing that even with that brief overview he’s given a lot of information.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
His quip does manage to break through her mask slightly, and a light hum of a chuckle leaves her as she tilts her head in a way that seems to say ‘touché’, mimicking his smile the best she can. And luckily for her, he’s willing to do a quick informal lesson, and she nods, the explanation being exactly what she’s looking for. Something to be useful, helpful, rather than the destruction she tends to bring everywhere she goes. “Exactly.” She agrees, leaning back against one of the tables while Auni settles at her feet – bright blue eyes scoping out Nate with eagerness.

He begins to explain, and she takes it in, wishing for a moment she had something to take notes and so she does her best to take them mentally. As he pauses though, she takes the moment to ask a question. “Makes sense. Do you raise it up to keep it from bleeding as much?” She asks, knowing that the wounds on arms when held above the heart or head seemed to bleed far less. Adding to that, she tilts her head with a quizzical look on her face. “And tie off the area above the wound, yes? The closest part to the heart?

She knows a couple of things, at least. Likely from all the fighting she’s done, which parts are more vital and what they do in the end.
KIADA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Nate

Well. Nate had to stop for a moment, just to look at his momentary student and grin. He hadn’t expected such intuitive questions, but it made sense, looking at Kiada. She was rough, tougher than she was trying to seem, and people with that kind of disposition usually picked up at least a little first aid. ”You are exactly right. On both counts.” He offers after a moment, the smile on his face only growing wider. ”Keeping a wound above the heart can give someone an extra few minutes. It might not sound like a lot, but it could be all you need to get to a medic. And it’s the same idea for tying off a wound, you want to keep as much blood as possible inside.”

Once he had finished laughing at his own joke, he hummed, tapping his foot and looking at Kiada. ”Why don’t you tell me what you know about broken bones?” Nate asked, figuring it might be easier to just fill any big gaps in her knowledge, since they were one on one. ”We’ll See if you even need me around to teach you things.”
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
So maybe she isn’t as bad as she thought when it came to this. A far more genuine smile crosses her face at his admission that she’s correct, appreciating the tiniest bits of acknowledgement and praise to look back on later. Her gaze is intent as it lingers on Nate, gathering all the information she can in regards to it. A few minutes does not sound like a lot, but it’s definitely a lot longer in the thick of the battle. She knows that from experience, at the very least.

She even manages a quiet snicker of her own in response to Nate’s joke.

But he questions her as to what she knows when it comes to broken bones, and her mind almost blanks. “Alright.” She pauses, thinking on it. “You… Want to stabilize it, right? With slings or splints or something to keep them straight, so they don’t break or fracture further?” Her head tilts, appreciating that she might be good at this or completely wrong – but at least she’s alone with him and won’t look like an idiot in front of others.
KIADA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Nate

Nate’s face is blank while he waits for Kiada’s answer, interested to see how she responds. She’s impressed him already, so anything else would just be cream at this point. Maybe she’d actually be interested in a real class, lend him a little bit of validity.

A low whistle leaves Nate, accompanied by another bright grin. He resists the urge to clap, if only because she doesn’t seem the type to appreciate it. ”See, you don’t need me.” Stepping forwards, he holds out a hand to her, and if she takes he’ll bring his other one in to clasp it. ”I’d love to share more with you, maybe in a real class?” The offer comes smoothly, like there’s no room for disagreement.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
The confidence within her only seems to bloom under his praise and compliment. A brighter smile covers the saddened one she had been so used to using, and when he steps forward hands outstretched, she lets her own be clasped between them with a quiet snort. “Sure. Just let me know when.” She offers with a nod, deciding it’s probably easier that way.

That and she’s rather excited to learn, all things considered.

She withdraws her hands after a moment with a nod before she gets Auni’s attention mentally. “Any sort of notes or what not can be sent to the Bakery, I’m there most days.” She shrugs easily, before nodding to him and gathering what little things she had brought before departing.
KIADA