things and how they seem
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 4 - Int:
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
oia
"Yes. That is my purpose here." You confirm, not understanding the implication of impropriety that his words might be carrying.

"That isn't always correct. Often different does mean wrong." You point out. "But even if I am, I serve my purpose efficiently and satisfactorily, so it doesn't seem to matter." The intensity of Loren's voice and his stare go completely unnoticed, entangled as you are with Astra.

of course it's exhausting, having to reason all
the time in a universe which wasn't meant to be reasonable.

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
there's light at the edge of the darkness
Loren sighed, before giving Oia’i’o a considering look. ”And that doesn’t bother you?” As his eyes searched the demi-god for any sign of discomfort, his fingers tapped restlessly against his leg. "You don't see any problem in that? It was clear in his voice how disturbed he was by that possibility.

Letting out a little huff of laughter, he shook his head. "You're right. I meant, in this case, different doesn't mean wrong." Then he fell silent for a long while. "If you didn't have your task from Rae, would you still pursue the same goals? Or would you seek a different purpose in life?" He looked away, eyes fixed on the swirling mists below.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Change author:
oia
“Why would it?” You ask, though already you expect whatever answer the man offers you’ll find unsatisfactory. He has shown a tendency towards the needlessly normative, and seems to want to make emotive decisions. You understand this, but certainly don’t agree with it, not that it matters of course.

“I do not believe there is some purpose to life, other than those we ascribe to ourselves.” You reply with another shrug. “There is no metaphysical meaning out there to be discovered, no path of enlightenment one is meant to walk.” That these things are thought of by human-animals is fascinating, and is one of the things you like to use your magic to study. It is however, absolutely ridiculous, in your humble opinion.

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Loren smiled a bit sadly at Oia’i’o’s response. "Because there should be more to life than duty." Although his voice came out softly, there was a great deal of certainty behind it. Then he shook his head, the smile disappearing.

Instead, he sighed, and ran a hand through his hair. "So why not ascribe yourself a purpose?" Looking away, he drummed his fingers on his thigh for a moment, eyes distant. After a long moment, he looked back at the demi-god. "You're a person, too, aren't you? Why don't you deserve to make the same choices, the same decisions, as every other person?" It was clear from his tone that he was bothered by her causal acceptance of her fate.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Change author:
oia
"Why do you think that?" You ask. This is the sort of endless series of questions that most people glare at you for, but you truly do want to know. On what or whose authority are such things decided, if not the gods? You've been given purpose from Rae, a duty. That Loren thinks there ought to be more to life than that is perplexing and interesting, though you already doubt he'll agree.

"Why would I, when I already have a purpose ascribed to me? Why think that I would be happier or more fulfilled if that is what you are indicating, with a life I have chosen rather than one given to me by a being much more intelligent?" As for being a person, like every other?

"But I am not. A human animal yes, but I am not like you. I do not deserve those things, as you have put it, because of how I have come to this life."

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
Oia'i'o's question caught Loren off guard. Frowning, he found his brow furrowing as he tried to articulate a coherent response. "I don't know. I guess because that's what separates us from other animals, finding a purpose beyond survival." He shrugged, not totally satisfied with that answer, but not having a better one at the moment.

As she spoke of her life, his frown deepened. "Why not think that? How would you know unless you tried?" He tilted his head at her. "You're running all these experiments on other people, seeing how they react to things, aren't you? Yet you aren't really experimenting with your own life, just doing what you're told." His tone came out with a bit more of an edge than he intended, and Astra shifted to look at him with curious and concerned eyes, though the luxere didn't move from the demi-god's lap.

Still with that troubled expression on his face, the Launceleyn sighed. "Why does being born to a god mean you can't decide your own course in life?" He was genuinely confused by that idea.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Change author:
oia
"And you think that is important? To be separated from the rest of the animal kingdom?" You're about to ask why he thinks there needs to be any purpose beyond survival, but you leave it for now.

You notice Astra's response to the summoner's questions more than the edge in his voice and you grow silent for a moment. You don't understand this conversational turn, nor why it has raised {insert emotion here} in Loren. "I am not in a good position to run experiments on my own life. It would be too bias."

Shaking your head slightly to indicate that he's misunderstood (Kai has taught you this) you clarify: "No. You said that I am a person like every other. But I'm not. Being born into this does mean I do not decide my own course. I have larger instructions to follow."

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
Hesitating at Oia’i’o’s question, Loren finally nodded. ”I do. I think most people think of themselves as more than animals. Don't think of humans as animals at all. That’s why most of us prefer civilization and progress to nature in most cases.” Still, his expression had grown thoughtful.

However, his eyes narrowed somewhat at her response. "Biased how?" He searched her mostly blank features for some sense of what she felt, but it proved a fruitless endeavor. Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair. "Just because you're Rae's child makes you that different? Because the other demi-god I know can live life the way he chooses. So what would happen if you didn't follow those instructions?"
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Change author:
oia
You shrug at this, indicating either that Loren is wrong or that you don't care much about/for his opinion. Both, probably. "You can tell yourselves that your complexity sets you apart, but it doesn't."

You blink at the summoner, again wondering how it is that at times he can seem so clever and yet fail to comprehend the most basic things. "I cannot be objective when I am the the key variable in an experiment." And, were you the type to say so, you might have added: duh.

"You seem unnecessarily argumentative on this point, likely because of your irrational beliefs about free-will and purpose." You say, refraining about asking what other demi-god of Rae's he's met seeing as this is 100000 years back in the timeline and he hasn't met Kai yet.

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren tilted his head, his features troubled before he schooled them into a neutral mask. ”You don’t think...I mean, why don’t you think the ability to think sets us apart from other animals?” Although he did his best to prevent his exasperation regarding that line of argument hidden, it bled into his voice.

Sighing, he drummed a beat on his thigh. This conversation had been fascinating, sure, but he could also feel his temples throbbing. ”Would you submit to having others experiment on you?” His eyes searched Oia’i’o’s features for some sign of empathy. Then he felt his eyes narrow, though his tone came out evenly enough. ”How are my beliefs about free-will and purpose any less rational than yours?”
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Change author:
oia
"The way you say sets you apart seems to imply a hierarchy, in which thinking places you higher. But that isn't so. Many animals are much more clever than human-animals are. Almost all have abilities that you do not. You use your minds to destroy and create poisons and wage wars. You make up beliefs and then ruin your lives with them. Your intellect if anything at all, places you lower in the animal kingdom for all the good it has done you."

Instantly, you nod. "Of course. Kai runs experiments on me all the time." Whatever Loren is looking for, he won't find it in you. Empathy is one of those fleeting emotions that you don't think you will ever understand. "Because my beliefs are based on verified data and evidence that you do not possess. By your own admission, you have not been here long. The metaphysics of this world may not be anything like the world you came from, and given your limited interactions with those who could answer your questions—Vi, Mort, Rae—you've shockingly little foundation for your beliefs."

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren was silent for a long time after Oia'i'o gave her response to his claim that humans were worse than most animals. Then he sighed, and gave her a clearly unhappy look. "Yes. That's all true. But it's ignoring the fact that humans also are capable of good. Of creating beauty and art unseen in the natural world. Of acts of compassion no other animal is capable of." He sighed, a ran a hand through his hair. "Intellect is just a tool. It can be used for good or ill."

Surprised that she so readily admitted that Kai ran experiments on her, he nodded. "Oh. I see. That's...I see." The summoner's voice was troubled, but he didn't say anything more.

At least, about the experiments. Once more, he stared at her for a long time. Finally, he nodded again. "Alright. That's fair. I'll concede that point to you." Tilting his head, he gave her a curious look. "Have you met Mort and Vi often then?"
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Change author:
oia
"So you believe. Animals create many things; you simply do not see the beauty in it." You reply with a dismissive sort of shrug. "Many animals are capable of compassion, but again, you are placing the traits you value above traits other species demonstrate. Sure, you believe yourself more capable of compassion, but why is that more important than being able to see in ultraviolet light? Why is creating art any better than creating silk from within the body? Or venom?" You ask.

"Often? No. Our paths are not meant to overlap, just as Rae's is not meant to overlap with theirs."

Coding base by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren gave Oia'i'o an unimpressed look. ”I was merely pointing out that there are good aspects to humanity, ones you conveniently left out of your analysis of us. I fully recognize the beauty and wonder and abilities of other animals. I use them often enough as a summoner, after all." Letting out a sigh, he shrugged.

Astra, sensing his frustration, wriggled in the demi-god's lap, but the luxere didn't move as the summoner stared at the daughter of Rae. "But if we are arguing this, then I'd say that intellect and compassion are the traits that allowed us to master the natural world." His voice was soft, but firm.

Drumming his fingers on his knee, his eyes bore into Oia'i'o's features. "But you have met them?" Still, he was speaking quietly.
loren

Coding base by Sky!