rising
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
whatever comes, let it come
what stays, let it stay
There was something Loren had promised to do that was long overdue. Amalia had beaten him in a sparring match, and he owed her a drink. However, in the shuffle of getting ready for LongNight—and in his brief relapse into being a crazy and cruel person, more wounded animal than man—he hadn’t gotten around to it. Better late than never, though. Nowadays, in Flowerbirth, he was doing his best to keep his commitments, no matter how small. Besides, she’d shown him kindness even when he had no right to it, didn’t deserve it. This was just a very small part of paying her back for that. Plus he had some questions he wanted to ask her.

So he made his way down to her bakery, Astra at his side. He could sense how eager the luxere was to see both the baker and Jyoti, and he smiled fondly at his companion, reaching down to give her a good scratch behind the ears and head rub. It didn’t take long for them to arrive at their destination. It was towards the end of the day, but hopefully she hadn’t closed up shop yet. Entering, he glanced around but didn’t immediately spot Amalia. That was alright.

”Amalia? It’s, uh, Loren.” Although he’d done his best not to trek mud into her shop, it was seemingly everywhere; still, he made sure to wipe his boots off before entering. He had a bottle of red wine that he’d acquired from the Manor in one hand. It certainly hadn’t come from the Rathskellar. ”I um...I hope this isn’t a bad time. I brought you that drink I owe you from our training and well...I ah, wanted to catch up after LongNight.” Although he hated how uncertain his voice sounded, he wasn’t sure if they were on friendly enough terms for this visit, or if he was just going to be an intrusion. "I can come back later if now's inconvenient." Or never, if she didn't want to see him.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the shield of safrin
It is the end of the day, and Amalia is still working in the same capacity she has been all day.

Cleaning.

The first days after LongNight are always spent in the same way: cleaning up the mess left by the week of darkness, straightening up and getting ready for the festivities to come. No matter how well she boards up the bakery the darkness always seems to find a way in, and then there's the garden, the basement, the stores to check, the starters to assess, the dough to rise, the yeast to gather-

A lot of work, in short.

There is a batch of rye loaves in the oven and some herb and cheese biscuits on the counter when Loren walks in, and the sounds of sweeping somewhere in the back betraying the baker's location. "Just a sec!" the girl calls, her voice preceding her appearance. She is dressed in work clothes, brown breeches and a green tunic that has torn enough to hang off her shoulder, a line of blood evident where a nail ripped through more than cloth. There's dirt on her face, a long smear across her right cheek, and her long hair is pulled back into a messy braid. She's something of a disaster, in short, but then again when is she not?

Amalia pauses as Loren comes into view, a smile pulling at her lips as she blinks at the unexpected sight. "Oh- Loren. You survived LongNight."
you are slowly growing
but you are still growing
and that is enough
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
what stays, let it stay
At the soft call from the back of the shop, he smiled, then leaned against the wall by the door. Loren didn’t mind waiting, and neither did Astra, though the luxere did eye the biscuits on display. The Launceleyn couldn’t blame her: the shop smelled heavenly, of freshly baked and baking bread. Reaching out, he scratched behind his companion’s ears, which was enough to distract her until Amalia showed up.

Predictably Astra went up to the baker for scritches and maybe treats. The summoner’s smile widened at the sight, and on the smile on the woman’s face; it faded, however, at her words. ”I survived LongNight.” He tilted his head slightly, shifting so he was holding the bottle in both hands. Well, twisting it slightly nervously in both hands, but close enough. ”You sound surprised.” A happy surprise, maybe, but a surprise nonetheless, as if the baker had severely doubted the summoner’s ability to make it through the week of darkness and monsters.

Then again, he was a little surprised at that fact himself.

Now that she was closer—and he’d responded to her initial greeting—he took in her appearance. Her quite disheveled appearance. Biting his lip, he glanced around at the shop. ”I don’t know if you heard me, but I brought that drink I owed you.” He lifted the bottle in one hand while the other gestured at the room they were in. ”But I can help you with, ah, cleaning? If you’d like?” His eyes spotted the bloodstain and he dropped his free hand to his thigh, fingers drumming a nervous beat. ”Or healing.”

Giving her a sheepish look, he added, ”Just wounds, I promise.” He’d learned the folly of erasing scars when he’d stupidly gotten rid of hers along with the injuries he’d inflicted. If he could restore them, he would have, but unfortunately that was not a skill he possessed. "Or I can uh...go. If you're busy. And come back later?" He really didn't want to, but if Amalia wanted time and space to get her bakery ready after LongNight he could understand and respect that.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
"You seemed a bit unsure if you would, last time." She shrugs, an almost teasing smile on her angular face as she kneels down to greet Astra properly, pressing slender fingers into the soft fur behind the luxere's ears. "I'm sure you kept him safe though, hm?" the baker murmurs affectionately, basking in the simple pleasure of the little companion's light. It is easier for her to talk to them, sometimes- though she still has yet to realize that she can now hear them can speak back. "Jyo is in the garden- should I call her, or would you like to go find her yourself?"

Rising back up reluctantly, the Shield's smile falters a little as her dark eyes flicker between Loren's face and the bottle he's holding, for a moment drawing a blank. Until- "Oh!" the girl laughs, shaking her head with an embarrassed chuckle, her hand raising up to tug on the long, messy braid. "I forgot. Of course. The drink." Something unhappy lingers in her eyes, the memory of that ill fated encounter still dark in the back of her mind, and she resists the urge to rub her wrist where the scars from Jigano used to be. It hasn't been that long, yet it feels like a lifetime, and Amalia still is not sure how she feels about it all.

He offers to go and she shakes her head quickly, not wanting to drive him out with her own unsettled thoughts. "No, stay- if you don't mind the mess. I'm still cleaning up from LongNight. Are you... are you hungry? Or would you like a glass for the wine?"
you are slowly growing
and that is enough
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Loren smiled, though there was a bit of a sad edge to it. ”I wasn’t. And not everyone did.” Taking a deep shuddering breath, he bit his lip. ”But...I guess I’m seeing this as a blessing, and um, as a chance to...I don’t know.” He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. ”Start living my life.” Again, he smiled, this time more tentatively. It blossomed into a real grin as he felt the joy flowing from Astra. It seemed the luxere enjoyed the attention and agreed with Amalia’s assessment. ”She sure did. Even though I didn’t make it easy on her.”

Glancing at the door to the garden, the corner of his lips quirked up. ”I’ll go say hi.” Walking over, he opened the door cautiously before poking his head out. It didn’t take long to spot Jyoti. When he did, the Launceleyn grinned again. ”Hi there.” Reaching up, he gave her an affectionate rub on the stomach, before returning to the bakery proper.

Grasping the bottle more tightly now, the summoner tilted his head as he gave the baker an uncertain look. ”We don’t have to drink. If you don’t want, I mean. But, at least um, take the bottle. It’s a gift.” Realizing he was turning it nervously in his hands, he forced himself to hold it out to her.

Relaxing, he let out a huff of laughter. ”No, of course I don’t mind the mess.” Giving her a more genuine smile, he took a step into the center of the room, then looked around. ”Let me help you clean up. Then maybe dinner?” His voice still came out uncertainly. ”If you don’t already have dinner plans, of course.” Reaching out, he rested his hand on Astra, drawing comfort from his companion’s presence.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
She'd meant to send Astra to check on Jyoti, and it is with an expression of amusement that she watches Loren make his way to the back door, calling out into the cold where the whale has been thoroughly enjoying the open sky. She trills a greeting to her friend, far more enthused than her bonded had been, which is rather consistent with her nature. She follows Loren back inside, continuing to sing a merry tune while searching for Astra to play with.

Amalia breathes a sigh of relief as Loren accepts her invitation to stay, glancing awkwardly to the back of the shop where most of the mess remains. "If you really want to," comes the wry response, a crooked smile spreading on her angular face. Dinner is a little more complicated - usually she would make her way home to eat with Deimos, but she could ask a crow to give him a message, letting him know she would not be back.

Gesturing for Loren to follow along the Shield makes her way to the back of the shop, opening the door to let in the cool air and allow for easier clearing. The storeroom contains a few scant bags, one of which has clearly been torn open, its wares scattered across the rather appealingly damp ground. "There was a leak," she explains, gesturing to the ceiling which has been patched together rather precariously. "Something got into the oats, and some of the pumpkin seeds are damp. I'm going to try and dry out all the ones I can save in the oven, but..." She shrugs, the message in the action clear: not many will be salvageable.
you are slowly growing
and that is enough
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
At the sound of the trilling, Astra immediately perked up, and practically bounded over to Jyoti. The luxere jumped in place, trying to reach the starwhale. Loren grinned at the sight. The smile remained as he turned towards Amalia. ”I sure do.” His voice came out with a great deal of certainty, perhaps the first time ever in a conversation with the baker.

Following her into the backroom, the summoner let out a sympathetic hiss at the sight within. ”I’m sorry to hear that.” Glancing up at the patch job, then down at the damaged goods and wet ground, the Launceleyn took in a steadying breath. ”But I can save you quite a bit of trouble, I think.” He shot Amalia a slightly bashful look. ”A lot has changed since LongNight.” Although not all of it was good, he couldn’t help the flickers of excitement in his voice and eyes.

Then, though he probably should’ve gotten straight to work, he decided to see if he could clear the air between them. So he set the bottle down where he wouldn’t knock it over before shifting. Surprise! He sent the delight he felt in his new form along with a great deal of gratitude. Thank you for putting up with me. I really appreciate it, and though I’m not good at the whole friendship thing, I do want to try and be your friend. If the baker chose to delve into his mind, she’d discover he was telling the truth.

Shifting back, he grinned at her, the expression transforming him into an almost different person, lighter and younger and freer. ”Now let me help you. Please?” He hesitated for just a moment before raising both hands before him. Taking a few deep breaths, he felt his brow furrowing in concentration. Calling upon his newest magic, he called upon the water on the floor, in the seeds, lingering on the walls, and everywhere else it shouldn’t be. Soon a sphere of liquid appeared between his hands.

Carefully, he walked over to the door to the garden (passing Astra and Jyoti) and opened it, then commanded the water to settle outside where it belonged. Feeling the luxere's excitement at this display of magic, he held the door for her to rush out and play. Only then did he turn to Amalia, fidgeting awkwardly from foot to foot.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Any lingering discomfort she might have felt with accepting Loren's help is quickly replaced by bright-eyed delight as the mage transforms before her, the slender, sickly Lauceleyn replaced by something far more interesting. "Oh!" she cries in happy surprise, resisting the urge to clap her hands. "Oh, you're beautiful!"

His comment about friendship makes her cheeks color pink, bemusement and shy happiness palpable through the Attuned bond. I would like that, Amalia replies in silence as the mage regains his human form. Rubbing her wrist she looks down, an awkward smile dancing on her lips. I'm not much good at it, either, but... I would like to try.

But then he has more tricks to show her, and Amalia takes a half step back, deeply interested and mildly envious as he begins to spend his magic. "Show off," she teases, but her tone is playful, clearly grateful for his help. As he returns from watering her garden she grins, her cheeks coloring again. "My turn."

Without taking time to think about how terrible a plan this is Amalia reaches down for the qilin, shifting in a whirl of harmless fire and the colors of dawn--

And immediately hits her head on the ceiling, her horns catching on the low crossbeams as she utters a thoroughly undignified noise. Awkwardly placing her cloven hooves she inches out of the small storage closet, managing to knock over quite a few pots in the process - but at least she accomplishes her goal of sweeping the floor-bound seeds behind her and sending them out the door.
you are slowly growing
and that is enough
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Although Loren gave Amalia a toothy open-mouthed grin and sent a wave of joy to her, there was a bit of embarrassment at her praise as well. Thanks. I’m still getting used to it, but I definitely like it. As he shifted back, he gave her a pleased smile, although he simultaneously ran a sheepish hand through his hair and his cheeks flushed.

The smile broadened. ”I’d like that too.” He let out a huff of laughter. ”I don’t know about that. You’ve invited me over countless times, fed me, and put up with my bullshit. Seems like you're a pretty decent friend to me.” Tilting his head, he grinned, the motion transforming him into someone younger and lighter looking. ”On that note, I really should have you and Deimos over some time.”

Turning, he ran another hand through his hair, though this time was more habit than anything else. Without bothering to respond, he created balls and began juggling them with the ease of long practice. "Guilty." Then, though, his eyes widened as the baker shifted into a qilin, and he tucked the balls in his pockets. Letting out a hiss of sympathy when she bumped her head on the ceiling, the summoner soon found himself laughing, the sound bright and clear. ”Sorry! And uh, did you need healing for that bump?” His arms stayed down so that she’d know he was making no move to heal her without her permission not that he needed to move.

”You’re beautiful as well. And this new form of yours is obviously impressive to me. I’d summon a qilin to match you but…” his voice trailed off and his easy smile faltered, a troubled look coming into his eyes. "Not all of my news is good." Crossing his arms, he gazed at Amalia. ”The gods deemed summoning to be too powerful, and did something to curtail it.” There was a bit of annoyance in his voice, but he shrugged to let her know that he did much mind, at least not anymore.

Stepping forward, he lowered his voice to a whisper. ”But that's not what's been bothering me. Zariah came back. She disowned me, threatened to kill me, and took Beatrix and Jace with her.” For a moment an ugly expression crossed his face, but he shook his head and took a calming breath. ”My twin brother Neron runs Halo, apparently, the land through the portal, and Zariah is with him. She claims to be the real power behind the throne. Regardless of who is in charge, I doubt they'll be friendly to the people of the Hollowed Grounds, and that's not getting into how hostile Halo itself is.”

Pausing to let that sink in, the Launceleyn’s eyes searched Amalia’s features for any sign of her reaction. ”Between that and Wessex’s recent actions…” Hesitating, Loren bit his lip before sighing. ”I don’t know how much you’ve heard, and I know you’ve been tasked with preventing the Ascended from opening more portals. But Wessex attacked Jigano and slew the guardian placed in the Spire. And that’s after whatever happened at the Mathair.” Frowning, Loren raised his hands in a helpless gesture. ”I don’t know what this meeting she’s called is about. But I’m worried about...everything. The future.”
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
It is fortunate that she is shifted for his compliment, the blush that spreads across her face hidden by lilac fur. At his declaration that his powers have been curtailed she cannot help a laugh, the sound of water falling on stone, though she has the good grace to look at least a little chagrined on his behalf. They must have been threatened by you, she teases gently, a note of truth behind the words.

Whatever good cheer the girl might have felt drops away instantly at his next admission. Shifting back to her human skin, Amalia listens with clenched jaw and fist, her teeth pulling tightly against each other. Zariah back and making threats, another Launceleyn reign of terror... she had thought they had escaped this, yet here they are again. More evidence, she thinks, for why the portal never should have been opened to begin with.

And then there is Wessex. With a heavy sigh Amalia nods- yes, she knows about the Spire, about the Mathair, about it all. Walking back toward the front of the shop, she begins to gather a set of mugs. "A group of Ascended - led by the Voice - attacked the Mathair. And when the Fae tried to stop them they were slaughtered. Five of them." She sighs, setting the mugs down on the counter and leaning heavily on her elbows. "So now Delah has forbidden any travel between the Hollowed Grounds and the Greatwood, unless Wessex steps down. Which she said she would, if the people wished it- then she went off through the portal."

Sighing again, Amalia rubs the back of her neck. "I might need that drink after all."
you are slowly growing
and that is enough
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Loren let out a huff of laughter and shook his head, gesturing at his still too thin body. ”Yeah, I’m sure they’re terrified of me.” However, the humor didn’t last for long, and he nodded sagely. ”I know.” Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair. ”Hopefully things will be different, now that I’m...an Attuned?” He gave Amalia a slightly sheepish look.

Even that slipped away, and he frowned, brow furrowed as the baker revealed what she knew. Needing to do something other than worry, he knelt to help right and replace the pots the baker had knocked over. ”Gods, what a mess.” The sorrow and exhaustion in his voice was apparent, and no, he wasn’t talking about the pots. Shaking his head, he straightened up.

”What do the people of the Hollowed Grounds want? Or, if you can’t answer that, what do you want?” He tilted his head, eyes somber as he waited for her to respond. ”And if they do decide they want Wessex to step down, will she? Even if she does, what then?” Unfortunately, he couldn't keep the doubt from his voice.

Bending down, he retrieved the bottle from where he’d stashed it. Opening it with quick motions, he stepped forward and poured them both a generous amount, setting the bottle on the counter as well. Raising his mug, he toasted Amalia. "To surviving LongNight." Somehow, he managed to make that sound cheerful, though his eyes were distant.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Staring down into her empty mug, Amalia shakes her head. "I... don't know. Wessex is well known, and the Ascendeds all support her. And people are happy to be able to leave. But at the same time, she's done a lot of harm, and she's abrasive. Always has been."

As to what she wants? That's even harder, somehow. As Loren pours she tries to think, to come up with something more helpful than I don't know. "I want... I want things to go back to how they were," the girl admits ruefully, reaching for her cup and raising it at Loren's toast. She takes a small sip, having learned from her experience with Remi, but still makes a face at the acrid taste.

"I know that it's impossible, though. So I guess... I want someone to care about this place, and the people. As well as the rest of the world. Someone who can see past their own needs. Wessex... would have been a great Queen, if the Voice hadn't ruined her." There is a hard, painful bitterness in her voice, the ache of her lost family still keenly felt, and her hand clenches unhappily on the handle of the mug. "But now all she can see is what the Voice wants, and she doesn't listen to any other perspectives. She doesn't ask anyone else what they think. She's- she's proud, the way Zariah was, and too stubborn to see it."

Quirking a mirthless smile, the Shield raises her dark eyes to Loren. "Honestly, what I want is someone humble enough they wouldn't want to be called a fucking queen."
you are slowly growing
and that is enough
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Loren remained silent, though he made sympathetic and encouraging noises where he thought it was appropriate. Mostly he just sipped his wine while he listened to Amalia speak. When she finished, he smiled, almost kindly at her. ”I think we all wish we could go back to the way things were.” Sighing, his smile gained a sad edge. ”But you’re right, it’s impossible. The world is a bigger place now. A different place. And we’re different people than we once were, with different needs.” Stepping around the counter, he reached out to try and lay a gentle hand on her shoulder.

Setting his mug down, he gave her an appraising look. Then the corners of his mouth quirked up. ”Well I for one have no interest in being queen.” A more serious expression slid into place. ”What about you and Deimos? You’re strong, people like you both, and I know you’ll have the best interests of the people and the world at heart.” Smiling a bit crookedly, he added, ”All the people.” His eyes watched her carefully for her reaction.

However, he sighed. ”But you have the whole world to look after now, don’t you?” Lifting his mug again, he stared into the dark liquid. ”Even if it’s not a task you asked for or desired.” Taking a sip, he glanced up at her. ”Ronin abdicated and Remi doesn’t want power. The people will likely not accept another Ascended on the throne if they reject Wessex, will they? Nor will that help our relationship with the Fae.” He frowned as he considered their other options.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Amalia nearly laughs aloud as he suggests she and Deimos rule, managing to calm her amusement down to a dignified snort. Shaking her head the girl smiles awkwardly, her blush appearing once again. "Deimos has been a king before... I do not think he wants that life again. And even if I was even remotely suited for leadership... you're right. I have a task already." To be a Guardian, to be a Shield- it is enough weight upon the shoulders of one so young.

Amalia nods at Loren's assessment, taking another sip of the wine, wrinkling her nose up once again. Her eyes are hard when she meets his blue, shaking her head. "Delah won't relent as long as an Ascended rules, and frankly, neither will I. The Voice has been allowed to do enough damage already." There's a harsh bitterness in her voice, a steel uncharacteristic for the girl. As far as Amalia is concerned it is the Voice that condemned their world. Why should one of her children be allowed to lead, when Wessex - the strongest woman she knows - has already proven herself to be barely more than a puppet?

"That's another reason it can't be me," the Shield admits ruefully, suddenly looking away with a wry smile. "The Ascended.. they're part of the Grounds, too. Really I think it needs to be a council, or at least someone who's willing to listen to the thoughts and feelings of others, and heed their advice. Someone humble." Almost teasingly she glances back at Loren. "What about you, Loren? Do you want the job?"
you are slowly growing
and that is enough