straw men tilting at windmills
for Deimos
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
Rather than reflect on how that meeting was never going to go well, Wessex looks to the future - or the possibilities of the future. As the three of them emerge from the Greatwood, the Queen sends Amun off and continues walking with Deimos, quiet while she collects her thoughts. At least there isn’t adrenaline to fight against and base impulses to squash down. There is only the next crisis and the next crises and the next crisis - for which she should be very grateful that Ascended don’t have adrenal glands because the stress of the past year might have legitimately sent those little bean-shaped organs into their own crisis by now.

“So, Deimos. You went down into the Spire a couple of times, yeah? What happened? What’s down there, exactly?”
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Online
Change author:
MP: 9824
we're all killers
After the meeting that had achieved virtually nothing but banned access to the Greatwood (again - the efforts they’d concocted to have it opened gone within an instant of brandished insults and ridiculous power struggles), the Sword drew immediately into silence. He brewed and brooded behind the depths of his piercing gaze, mulling over the quandaries, the new upheavals, the dominion of possibilities of mountains fading along his fringes. The wild, untamed exuberance he’d felt within the portal book (peaks, summits, ice, rime, and snow, favorite places pressed and there, simply beyond their reach) had been cooled to a contorted lull, a machinating mind sweeping through all the other possibilities. The beast fought off the loathsome, abhorrent growl threatening to rumble through his chest, irritated that one route had been completely demolished – but then the other possibilities unfurling, strand by strand, in the nuances of conversation. “The first time, when we went to rescue the tulmhainar, the basement had the poisonous plants, rushing water, and a wall of stone.” His memory bounded back and forth, webbed and then flowing, not looking at her, but beyond, fractures and factions of images flashing, recalling, when he wasn’t dying and falling apart. “Jigano went to investigate where he saw the portal last,” but if he the void served him correctly, the bard had returned empty-handed with that portion of information, and then they’d be fighting for their lives or the turtle’s.

His brows furrowed as they walked along the Outskirts, picking his way along the familiar path, eyes shifting to feline slits when the darkness began closing in, better access to better sight in the fold of twilight and dusk. “The second time, when we went to destroy the plants, there was a gaping hole in the middle.” From Safrin’s fall, from everything else shattered around it. “The water was still there, but when we were done killing the vegetation, the Spire basement was very unstable.” He didn’t have much more to add; no portal ever found, behind earth and rock and columns and debris; a surefire way for others to crumble in the midst.
DEIMOS
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
“And thank you for accompanying me.” They both know she doesn’t need the protection, but to show up with no one but Amu would have been foolish. And Deimos is quite the imposing figure. Not that Wessex thought the Fae would have hurt her - it’s more a matter of principle.

“From Safrin?” Wessex asks, remembering the rumors of how the Goddess had become blighted, and how it subsequently spread to Ronin. “You’ve been there a lot,” she says, with a curious sort of lilt in the statement. It’s not quite a question, but there is an unasked query within it. Why? Who drags them down there? Who all has gone?

“I wonder if it could be stabilized,” she muses aloud, knowing that if it cannot be achieved by normal means, then it would have to be done by someone with earth magic - and the only one with earth magic is Remi. Or some other kind of intervention. She unexpectedly groans loudly, and perhaps Deimos should as well. Let it all out. Scream their frustrations into the night sky, even if the man’s frustration is standing at his side. “Jigano is never going to share any information about the Spire and the portals with me.”

Sighing out into the darkness, Wessex’s voice drifts off, “He’d probably rather die than let me look at his precious Loreseeker hoard.” And she is loathe to command he opens it.
No, I’ll be the stone
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
we're all killers
Deimos nodded in response to the thank you; he’d been naught else but a silent witness, and the General wondered if it would’ve mattered anyway. He would’ve known about the debacle sooner or later, that their efforts had been scratched, voided out, and they’d have to begin all over again. It was a frustrating aspect because they had been so close, and for some damned reason the Ascended continued to have some agenda and leeched it away from the general public’s; the blight and these circumstances only the latest of occurrences. His opinion on the conflagration was silent, but she’d likely be able to pinpoint its irritation, its frustration, at another road block courtesy of poor decision making and the Voice’s surge for control, for power.

He’d only wanted and craved the mountains.

“Yes,” to the first set of inquiries; Safrin’s dissolve into the ridiculous pestilence; his eyes remained on the darker threads and path ahead, looking at lantern lights in the distance, homes and residences on the fringes, his nearby, an escape from the warring exasperation. “Probably,” to the stabilization; they’d tried in multiple ways, but in the end it had been about destruction and desecration of poisonous vectors, believing they’d found a way to end the blight’s scourge, not bothering to maintain proper vigilance on the columns, on the stones, until they had to rescue Remi and Ashetta from its clutches. Which meant the alchemist would have to be involved again. Which meant a whole series of cycles and instances repeated; the widening fissures surrounding, pressing, burdening shoulders all the more. It was infuriating that this stupid circumstance could have been avoided altogether; with more tact, with more thought process, beyond a goddess’ orders.

The Sword didn’t scream or air his grievances. He held them at bay, perfectly capable of control and contortion, layering them down when he could explode and unravel in the comfort of his own home. As for Jigano, the comment almost made him laugh; because there’d been a time and a place where he could say the same. He’d been tempted by the portals, and then they’d seethed against one another; no mention of it since. But for all the things he yearned, for all his friends and companions longing for the same thing, he’d be willing to try. His attempts might’ve been better founded, than all for power, for glory, for maddening ruin. “I can ask him.”
DEIMOS
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
There are menial tasks she’s willing to delegate, and then there’s station appropriate tasks, and for someone who’s never lead anything in her life, even Wessex knows the difference. “No,” she shakes her head and abruptly changes course for the Loreseeker guild. “You are not my errand boy, you are the General.” He may command a pitifully small force, but they should still stand behind the spirit of the rank.

Wessex will go to the Guild herself. “But if you also accompany me there, now, I would appreciate it.” To bear witness to good behavior, to convince the guy that it isn’t for nefarious needs, to get shit done quickly. Because the faster they move on this, the better she imagines their luck may be. A plan - loose as it is - begins to form in her head. She curses the mud and the slush, but it ultimately can’t be helped. The seasons turn and they, poor mortals that they are, are caught in it.

“If you want to shift, we can get there faster. Or we can walk. And maybe you can tell me more about yourself. Like where you’re from,” the Wraith says, offering up the silent option and the option to learn - both equal, both important. Her General is a capable enigma and in the end that’s all she needs to know about him; he will do the job and he will do it well. Now might not be the best time to play the ‘get to know you’ game, but her schedule is rather tightly packed and if not now - when?
No, I’ll be the stone
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
we're all killers
He fought off a pending, formidable eye roll at the first comment; it hadn’t been about being an errand boy, but about making the entire process easier, more efficient, instead of dragging it out over a series of cycles and edges. The frustration continued its ascension over his skull, a few sighs swallowed down, not openly expressed, clawing inwards through his chest.  He’d truly just like to escape the entire charade and go scream into the void, however, Wessex found she’d rather wander along the pathways towards the Loreseekers Guild herself, with him accompanying. The beast clenched his jaw and nodded the agreement, feline eyes glancing over at the outskirts of houses, then back along other makeshift trails.

The offering for him to shift was taken upon almost immediately; telling her more about himself was the furthest thing from his mind. He might’ve glanced at her in befuddlement and audacity, a snort threatening to unfurl itself from his lungs, had he not been so damn exasperated by the whole ordeal. Why on earth she thought he’d be ready to discuss anything at this moment was beyond him, so he managed to growl out a single word response, “Helovia,” before shifting into an eagle. His wings were broad and soaring into the sky, and he said naught about the world he’d died within and left behind – the mountains, the peaks, the ice, the rime he’d led, he’d once presided over – gone again before he could do anything but set his eyes upon it.
DEIMOS