transformations
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
The honey badger’s paws gave one last pat. I hope so to. And I hope you’ll tell me if there’s anything more I can do. Slipping out from under the other man (though not without a moment of resistance), Loren sent a wave of welcoming joy to other man. I know that things weren’t easy for you, but I want you to know that I just want you, want the whole family, to be happy. That was nothing but the honest truth, and if Peter followed the mental link they had, he’d feel that.

A pulse of amusement and maybe a little annoyance flooded through the summoner and their bond. That sounds like him. And no, he didn't say anything bad, though we kind of screwed each other over during negotiations. Not bothering to hide his less than enhusiastic thoughts and feelings about the adopted Launceleyn’s boyfriend, the honey badger wriggled a bit unhappily. We went into the Spire to clear the path to the portal there. Then we stepped through the portal.

The unhappiness grew, though it wasn’t just because of Adam. There was someone there who claimed to be my twin. The uncertainty and doubt were enough to propel Loren to his feet. He paced for a bit before halting and giving the hyena a curious look. What is this organization Adam was talking about? Genuine curiosity mixed with concern underscored the summoner’s thoughts.
light is precious in a world so dark
begin at the beginning
tell a story. make some light
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
try to be living as your vice
and can you be my type?
If there was anything more Loren could do, Peter didn’t know of it. The summoner had been the only one to truly make him feel welcomed, to turn the name into a bond, a connection. To make him feel like part of the family. There was enough trust between them, especially as open as they were while shifted, that Peter didn’t need to reach to feel the sincerity, the honesty, and that warmed him. That means you too, right? It was all to easy to think of the summoner putting everyone else before himself, and neglecting himself that way. If nothing else, Peter wanted to reciprocate a little bit of what was offered to him, wanted to help with the pursuit of happiness.

The fact that Loren had met Adam independently made things a lot simpler, but also far more worrying. Worry that seemed to be properly placed, judging by the tone that entered the others silent voice. I’m sorry. The apology was automatic, Peter moving to lick a hopefully calming stripe up Loren’s head. Other questions danced in his head, but before he had a chance to voice (think?) them, the other was already moving on, answering as he went.

Claimed to be? So he wasn’t really? Peter honestly couldn’t remember if he’d known Loren had a twin, if it had been brought up some other time by someone else, but that really wasn’t the important part. Loren shifted, getting back to his feet, and a low whine left Peter, the briefest mourning of the closeness, before Peter mirrored him and pushed into a sitting position, less comfortable on the stone. He watched the badger pace, head cocked and quiet concern radiating off him before the other stopped.

A soft laugh left the hyenas muzzle, this one more nervous than the last as his thoughts shifted from concern to something close to embarrassment. Not quite shame, but... depending on Loren’s reaction it might be. Thats... probably the um, the advocates. It’s... like a thieves guild, but not, cause... that doesn’t really work here.
cause we need to be given a good life
and can I be your type of metal?
PETER
Base Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Grinning toothily, Loren bumped his head against Peter’s leg, sending an affectionate feeling along with the affectionate gesture. Me too. The lightness faded from the honey badger’s mind and body as the conversation continued. Cocking his head, he gave the hyena a confused look. Why are you sorry? Did you do anything wrong? The summoner’s thoughts were gentle and curious, without a hint of admonishment.

Pausing and scraping his claws against the muddy ground, he felt frustration bubbling up. I don’t know. I...Neron was my identical twin. And this man had a different face than mine. However, uncertainty crept into his thoughts, joining with the frustration. My eyes said it wasn’t him. But my instincts told me it was. He resumed his loping stride.

However, he halted in his tracks and turned to stare at the adopted Launceleyn. Let me get this straight. Your boyfriend is in charge of a thieve’s guild? Unease stirred in Loren’s gut. What types of activities do they get up to? Who and what do they steal? Although it was clear how reluctant he was to ask the question, it was equally clear that he felt he had to.
begin at the beginning
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
and can you be my type?
Why was he sorry? It was clearly a question Peter hadn't been asked often enough, judging by the pause, the slow blink as he tried to summon a reason. I didn't, no, but... I'm responsible for Adam, and you... it sounds like he maybe ruined something? It was just habit, to accept responsibility for anything bad, though this felt like it had a little more merit than anything he'd apologized for in the past. Adam was a reflection on him, or something. His uncertainty was clear, both in the way it warbled across their bond, and in his dancing paws.

Peter was quiet for a moment, his head cocking back and forth. It did seem rather unlikely for identical to suddenly not be, but if the face was the only thing that felt wrong, then how unlikely could it be? Do you... want it to be him? Uh, Neron. As if Loren needed the clarification. There was another pulse of uncertainty, laced over with an attempt at comfort.

The embarrassment crystallized in Peter's chest, and he did all he could to avoid Loren's eye, looking out into the misty expanse the white stone spanned. He was in charge. He gave it up, someone else runs it now. He shifted uncomfortably, balancing on a thin line of not revealing too much and keeping Loren at ease. There hasn't been anything going on. There's um, plans for a new bar? But... no actual stealing. Not yet, at least as far as he was aware. Lying wasn't a thing that came easily to Peter, and he was glad he didn't really have to for this.
PETER
Base Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren cocked his head and sent a pulse of confusion along with his thoughts. Why do you think you’re responsible for Adam? Giving Peter an appraising look, the honey badger shook his whole body. I don’t know. I’m not sure I would’ve succeeded, but he certainly didn’t help. Again, the summoner could feel frustration building.

It practically boiled over as he considered the hyena’s question. I don’t know, he found himself thinking again. He let out a snarl and began running in a tight circle. He was cruel to me, and he doesn’t seem to have changed. Coming to a halt, he scraped a paw against the ground. At the same time...he’s still family. The anger was gone in a flash, replaced by exhaustion and uncertainty.

Which in turn was replaced by equal parts annoyance and curiosity. Turning to face the other man, Loren felt his nostrils flaring, as if he’d caught the scent of something. Who? And who else is in it? The honey badger paced forward. They plan to steal, though? And perhaps commit other crimes? His gaze was focused intently on Peter.
begin at the beginning
Peter Pikely

Change author:
and can you be my type?
Confusion just bred confusion, Peters ears flicking nervously. Even with how easy it was to talk in this form, there was still so much miscommunication. Aren't I supposed to be responsible for him? Or at least, Adam was his responsibility, for the first few interactions with Loren the Family. What exactly were you trying to negotiate?

The frustration in Loren’s voice came to a head, Peter snapping up straight, staying perfectly still in response to the badgers sudden pacing. He tried, as hard as he could, to keep the feeling of worry wrapped up tight, and not let it leak out towards the other. It took him an extra moment to remember what he’d been told, and a thin, nervous question rang out. If he’s still cruel, is cruel... do you have to be around him? A hypocritical question maybe, but he never felt any love for his tormentors. He moved a little closer as the anger seemed to go out of Loren, wanting to be comforting again.

Though the interrogation made it a little bit difficult. Peter wasn’t sure what to do, what exactly the issue was. I don’t... I’m not sure who, but um... Peter squired, trying to recall specific names. Ezra, and uh... Lucas? Oh, and Edrei! It wasn’t lost on him that he only named dead people, but Peter tried to move past it quickly. I don’t really know any plans. Other than the bar. I don’t really know if uh, if there’s anything else. Peter shifted, anxiety keying off him like a light show.Why?
PETER
Base Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Staring at Peter, Loren eventually shook his head, the motion funny looking seeing as he was still a honey badger. No. Why would you be? Why would you be responsible for anyone’s actions but your own? The thoughts came out gently and kindly, trying to reassure the hyena. Then the summoner pawed at the ground. I was trying to negotiate open borders between Halo and the Hollowed Grounds, as well as an exchange of trade goods. He let out a little whine.

At the adopted Launceleyn’s question, Loren paused. He remained still for a long while before shaking his whole body and settling to the ground. I’m not mad at you. This time, his thoughts came out a mixture of embarrassed and gentle. He’s the ruler of Halo. So if I want to spend any time there, I’ll probably have to be around him. Nostrils flaring, the summoner choked back his snarl.

Rising to his feet, he padded over and pressed his side against the other man’s leg. Edy’s name both settled and unsettled the honey badger. Anyone alive? Other than Adam? Shifting his weight, Loren rubbed his head against Peter’s side. I’m part of the militia. It’s my job to protect the people of the Hollowed Grounds. The summoner tried to project calm. But if these advocates aren’t making trouble then I have no quarrel with them.
begin at the beginning
Peter Pikely

Change author:
and can you be my type?
Peter stayed silent, again trying to summon some kind of answer, some kind of reason for the thought. There was nothing, no reason that came, and he sent along that uncertainty to Loren. I don't know. I just... I want you to get along. The admission came out somehow quieter than anything else, fresh embarrassment bubbling up in Peter, and leaking out towards the badger. I am sorry your negotiations weren't good though.

As Loren went still, Peter couldn't help but worry that he'd somehow offended him, somehow said something so wrong the other man would snap in anger, or worse, stay silent. The reassurance made Peter sag in relief, and close the rest of the distance between them, pressing his nose to the top of Loren's head. Loren was trying, and it was the least he could to try as well. His next question was put more gently, the mental voice a little more sure. Do you want to go to Halo? Do you want to be around Neron? the unasked implication. Peter felt, more than heard, the aborted snarl, and tensed, but didn't move away.

A low huff left Peter as Loren immediately saw through his attempt at a ploy, though he couldn't actually be upset. Yes. Yes there's alive people. A... woman, and a man, with... strange voices. Sunny and... I don't know, I don't remember the names. It wasn't a lie, but it did feel a little like a betrayal, and it made Peter anxious, despite the calm radiating off Loren. I think he's the one taking over. The man. But... all I've heard about is the bar. Nothing bad. The heavy tail wagged weakly, Peter twisting to rub against the badger in turn, and trying to send through reassurance that he was being honest, and telling Loren all he knew.
PETER
Base Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
The honey badger tilted his head, though he sent a pulse of reassurance towards the other man. Does he make you happy? Then Loren shook his whole body. It’s alright. I doubt they would’ve succeeded for either of us even if we weren’t stepping on each other’s toes. A feeling of chagrined amusement was sent along with the words.

As the hyena’s nose came to rest on the summoner’s head, he heaved the mental equivalent to a sigh, though he made sure there was affection in there as well. Then, though, he was still and silent for a while. I spent my childhood locked in a compound and my teenage years trapped in a walled city. There was a mixture of hope and frustration bubbling up in his thoughts. So I would like to see more than the Hollowed Grounds, yes.” He let out a grumble, shifting his weight slightly.

Lifting his head out from under Peter’s, the summoner gave the adopted Launceleyn a pointed look. Sunjata and Lusea? There was a dawning unease in Loren’s gut, but he didn’t move from his position by the hyena’s side. Instead, the honey badger just sent another pulse of reassurance and affection to the other man.
begin at the beginning
Peter Pikely

Change author:
and can you be my type?
He does make me happy. Answered Peter immediately, not even needing to think about the words. Adam made him almost sick with happiness at times, the feeling bubbling in every bit of his being until it was all there was, in the best way. He tried to send the feeling along to Loren, just a scrap of it, enough to make him understand, really understand. I'm sure something will get worked out anyway, right? Someone will do it.

Loren's sigh was met with a slightly more aggressive nuzzle against his head, and as much comfort as Peter knew how to offer. This had been nice, a comfortable, warm conversation, and now they were here. Quietly, he longed for the simplicity again. Though he was nothing but focused on Loren's words. He had heard a little of how Loren was raised, but never the setting, always the actions. Peter suddenly felt a little guilty for his questions, and sent a soft pulse of apology back towards the badger. You'll get to. Things... they can't stay closed forever, right? There was a bubble of hope sent along with the words as well, more for Loren's sake than anything else.

Peter drew in a soft breath through his nose as the badger fixed him with another sharp stare, a mental shrug leaving him. That... sounds right. Yes. He shuffled his feet again, and tried to let himself be soothed by the good feelings radiating off Loren. I know most um.. most of the plans, and... contacts were from Lucas, so... I don't know what they have now.
PETER
Base Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren sent a wave of nearly overwhelming affection, acceptance, and reassurance to Peter. Then that’s all that matters. A little bit of amusement bubbled up. Though I can’t promise to get along with him, especially if he continues to embarrass me in front of my twin. Giving another mental sigh followed by a mental shrug, he clung to want happiness he could. I'm sure it will work out, yes.

Then, though, the joy slipped away. Although the summoner tried to let the adopted Launceleyn’s hope wash over the honey badger, doubt crept in instead. I don’t know. The Greatwood was mostly open, and now it’s closed to all. Halo by all reports is an inhospitable place. And while there are more lands beyond the three we’re aware of, if opening more portals causes as much strife as opening the first two has, I do not know if that’s a price we’re willing to pay. Still, he lifted his head to aggressively nuzzle the hyena right back.

Continuing the gentle motion, Loren tried to send as much comfort as he could along with it. I’ll talk to them. I appreciate you telling me. The nuzzling turned affectionate, before a mischievous thought rose in the honey badger’s mind. Race you back to the Manor? Rolling to his feet, he broke away from the other man, already pawing at the ground with excitement.
begin at the beginning
Peter Pikely

Change author:
and can you be my type?
Some of his earlier excitement returned to Peter, his paws stomping on the bleached stone as affection bloomed between their bond. That's okay. I just want you to... be civil. Honestly, he did want his lover and his family to get along, but there was only so much he could do. I don't think he'll be embarrassing you in front of your twin though. The sigh and the shrug made him want to reach out, though he wasn't sure what he could do.

Maybe the portals don't need to be opened. Maybe... someone can do something about the sandstorms. Or maybe talk to the fey. Peter had no idea what might happen, what needed to happen, but he knew he didn't want Loren to succumb to doubt and hopelessness. He'd get the chance to explore, to not be trapped. Leaning in against the other man, Peter gave as much physical comfort as he could, his words lacking.

There was still an undercurrent of guilt in Peter, but it was easy enough to ignore, and to move past, especially with the comfort radiating off Loren. He let himself be wrapped up in the feeling, only shifting when Loren did, the words taking a moment to catch up with Peter, though their meaning snapped into place as the badger raced off, Peter pushing himself to his feet and racing after the other, a bright laugh in his mind. You're on!
PETER
Base Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
At Peter’s comment about getting along with Adam, Loren sent out a pulse of agreement. Civil I can do, so long as he's civil with me. I'll strive for more than that, though. Then amusement bubbled up. It's alright. I don't really need help embarrassing myself in front of my family. He sent a little bit of reassurance towards the hyena to let the other man know that the summoner was mostly joking.

Letting out another mental sigh, the honey badger pawed at the ground. I think the Ascended and The Voice will still try to open portals. The old gods think so, and they've assigned individuals to monitor the situation and prevent it if at all possible. As for the Fae, they will not open their borders to us again unless and until Wessex steps down as queen, either voluntarily or because it's asked of her. The words were underscored with an incredible amount of certainty. There was a worry in his mind as well, about both those facts. However, it was soon gone in the joy of trying to outpace the adopted Launceleyn.
begin at the beginning