paper gardens
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen
Warden of Halo / Apothecarist

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 8 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 30 - Int:
MICAH - Regular - Tide Jaguar
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Evie
a princess with lips made of glass and a voice cut from steel
After being trapped inside the Temple for so long perhaps someone would question Evie's quick return to the indoors once the sun has returned. The smell of old paper greets her senses as she graces the entryway, the muted tap of her footsteps echoing up to swim in the high ceiling's acoustics. Once upon a time, young and easily awed, Evie had found the looming stacks of untapped knowledge imposing. Even the echo of her passing had made her shrink back, hyper-aware of her own existence.

Now the Atheneum is a friend of sorts. An old gentleman with stories to provide no matter how many times she sits at his knee, eager for another. Slim fingers dance along aged spines as she wanders past, as enamored with the selection as she has always been. Once upon a time Evie had dreaded reading through the old tomes. Had railed against it - loudly and verbosely - when Amalia's mother had forced her to sit still long enough to shove the information into her thick head. A wry smile pulls on her lips, and she plucks a book from a random spot on a shelf, delaying her mission in returning to her studies to remind herself of her spring goals.

It's old, but in better shape than some. Evie sneezes multiple times when the dust comes off too strong as she opens it, and her eyes water in objection, but she's too focused on parsing the old vernacular to worry about what a mess she must look like.
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
PETER
Peter had actually wandered into the Aetheneum by mistake. He’d been looking for another building, and gotten turned around, walking into the library and immediately realizing his mistake. And, even more immediately, growing entrances by the stacks of books. It wasn’t that he was an avid reader, but he’d never been around so many books, on such high shelves, and he wanted to wander, at least for a little bit, between them. Whatever he’d been doing before hadn’t been that important anyway.

There was only so much to walk though though, and before long Peter had seen it all. He had grabbed a book, mostly at random, early on, so he could add an air of legitimacy to his visit if anyone came upon him, but now, it seemed like it might be interesting to flip through. So, his previous task completely forgotten, he climbed to the top of one of the shelves and settled, looking through the book of floor plan models he’d grabbed.

By the time he hears footsteps, and sneezes, he’s gone through the book entirely, and is lying in the twilight between sleep and waking, stretched out like a languid cat atop the shelf. He peeks over the edge to find the source of the disturbance, one eye cracked open reluctantly, and is surprised to see a familiar face. Well. Head top. ”Evie?” He asks, stifling a yawn and moving to hang a little more completely off the shelf. ”Hello!”
and our memories defeat us
and I’ll end this duress
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Evie
Evie, believing herself to be alone in the library, squeaks a little at the sudden motion that precedes the call of her name. Blue eyes dart to the disturbance, only for her countenance to relax immediately into a warm, pleased smiled. "Peter!" Her hands close the book, keeping it tucked against her side as she moves closer to where he's lounging like a particularly satisfied cat.

"Hello yourself. That's quite an interesting napping spot you've chosen there," she laughs, amazed that he'd even considered it but now suddenly envious at how pleasantly sleepy he looks. "Was the book really that boring?" A teasing grin, a glance towards the book he'd been reading, happy to have found him in this odd little bubble of silence. His friendship - or so she likes to think they are now - is a welcome invasion when considering she'd expected another day of solitude.
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
PETER
It’s a little surprising, to be greeted so warmly, but Peter finds  he doesn’t mind it. Since coming to Caido, it’s gotten easier and easier to let himself get closer to people, in bits and pieces. He even offers a smile back, even manages to make it look as sincere as he feels. ”It’s high. Not... not interesting.” He argues gently, then offers a hand out to her. ”Do you wanna uh... come up? It’s nice.” If she takes it, he’ll pull her up, but he isn’t fussed either way.

”It wasn’t boring” He says with another smile. It had actually been interesting, in a way that didn’t really affect him. ”I finished it. What about... what about yours? What’s... what’s it about?”
and I’ll end this duress
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
His smile is stronger, more sure than the ones he'd given her at the lakeside. Perhaps more sure of himself in general, even in small increments. Evie smiles broadly at his offer, switching the book to her other hip and placing her hand in his trustingly. Letting him haul her weight up as she climbs in beside him. She feels like a child again, finding corners and secret spaces to hide away in, and she relaxes back against the wood surrounding them with a comfortable blanket of nostalgia around her shoulders. "Hmmm, I don't know. Still seems interesting even from up here." Confidence boosting teasing was a new angle for her, but she'd certainly try her hand at it if it meant Peter feeling stronger in his choices.

She pulls the book to her lap, opening it to the title page and turning it midway between them to show it to him. Hunches over until her copper hair brushes the pages, eager to share. "It's an old anatomy book, specifically for animals. I helped splint a raven's wing and wanted to study more animal anatomy to help-" she cuts off awkwardly, feeling her words choke her for a half second before she soldiers on. "H-Help me direct my healing magic better." Her hands grip the book tighter, but she forces herself to relax in every other way. Peter is Abandoned too, she can trust him. She does trust him.

A shy smile, and she readjusts the book back into her lap. "Maybe it will help the Attuned someday." Or maybe she'd just go around healing every squirrel and raven in the Grounds.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
Evie lets him haul her up, and then there are two of them on top of the shelf, looking over the rest of the shelves. With someone else beside him, it does start to feel a little interesting, and little exciting, and Peter lets himself laugh softly, looking around again before turning back towards the redhead. "Maybe..." He draws the word out, almost matching her teasing tone. "...it's interesting because it's... because it's high?" He tries to compromise, not really concerned about how they end up.

The book on her lap seems interesting enough, at least judging from the front page. And then she starts talking about animal anatomy, and Peter can't help but reach out, flip to a page at random and stare at the diagram on it. He's listening well enough to look up at her when she stumbles, his eyes and face, understanding, and he nods when she continues. "That's... I think it's good. It's um..." He tips his head back and forth, thinking. "I don't know. It's nice though."

Leaning back when she takes the book back into her own lap, he thought of Loren, and how his healing magic had worked. "Does it help? The uh, knowing." He gestures to the book. Maybe it can help his own magic, he'd never considered... actual study.
and I’ll end this duress
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
Despite his insecurities, Peter's tentative manner of teasing only makes her smile blossom more, feeling oddly proud. If not of his budding confidence, but perhaps the fact that he feels comfortable enough to do so in her presence. In the past her presence has not always brought a sense of peace, or even friendship. She knows this now, more aware of the trauma she and Sam have inflicted on each other over the years. It's comforting to have a friend, one she feels she has to look after, one that makes her hold accountability for how she acts.

Which is silly to feel after just a few words, but her mind is already active. "I think you're exactly right," she agrees with a dramatic bob of her head, gesturing out with her outermost arm at the vacant space beyond the shelving. "We are clearly the new rulers of the Athenuem, darling. And we are above all others." Her grin is foxlike, positively mischievous. If only they had some available items to throw at unsuspecting passerby. Though perhaps that's more her style than Peter's.

Her hands shake when she closes the book, but she manages to smile at him, to be grateful for the way he smoothly moves on from her stuttering moment of weakness. It's something she has found only an Outlander or a fellow Abandoned can do, and it helps still the birdlike beating of her heart. "Thanks," she says simply, though her lips twitch a little at how he says it so uncertainly. Shrugs a shoulder and strokes her fingers over the spine of the book. "I'm not sure if it actually helps, like, the efficacy of the magic. But I like to think it helps to know where I'm healing and what I'm doing." Running a hand through her hair she tilts her head at her companion. "What uh...do you have any other magic? Aside from the water?" Maybe he can give her some advice about her newly discovered 'gift' as Dante had called it.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
It’s rather nice, being around Evie. There’s a warmth she exudes, and Peter isn’t sure if she knows it, if it’s intentional, but it draws him in, make him feel safe enough to be silly, and at the end of the day what more could he really ask of someone he spent time with? There was also a sense of familiarity, though maybe that’s just him projecting, wanting a reason to trust her (as if wanting the reason isn’t already reason enough). Regardless of any rationalization though, there was a soft smile now stuck on his lips.

When she declares him right, Peters head cocks so far to the side his ear touches his shoulder, wide eyes trying to figure out the trick before she shares it, and moving to look out over the shelves with the gesture. Then, suddenly, they’re rulers, and Evie is so dramatic and certain that he laughs, bright and out loud. His hand comes up quickly, cutting off the sound, but he can’t actually find it in himself to do anything more than smile through his hand at her. ”We are above.” He agrees, through another giggle.

”I was always told um... if you think it helps, then... then it does.” It sounded like sage advice for a moment, before Peter continued with: ”But the person who told me um... also just guessed a lot about... about magic. So...” He shrugged, unable to offer anything more. At least, about Bing more about the learning, which he might have to actually try, somehow. He’d figure out how to study water. And study in general. ”If you wanna um... study animal bones I... I can help. Not, uh, not in a weird way though, I just....” He trailed off, more than a little awkwardly (which was justified, if you asked him) and left that for Evie to decide if she wanted to dig deeper into his words.

Instead of answering her question right away, Peter cocked his head back, mirroring the redhead, and looked her over. Then, without any real fanfare, he held his hand out and opened it, a small, simple crown of gold sitting in his palm. He offered it to her, then nodded, and said simply. ”Yes. I do.”
and I’ll end this duress
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
Peter's laugh is bright and warm, wrapping around Evie like a well-loved quilt. It only makes her own smile brighter, feeling as if she has somehow won something by making Peter drop his defenses enough to laugh so freely with her. And if she takes it as a challenge, or an encouragement, to get him to do it again well. Only she needs to know that. But her own smile is carefree and childish, her own giggles escaping as he fails to stop his laughter, hiding his adorable smile from view. "Overseeing our subjects," she agrees with a put-upon pompous voice, though she can't keep her face straight through it. Their 'subjects' are dusty, misplaced books at best, but it's a fine enough kingdom for her with Peter at her side to enjoy it with her.

"Aren't we all just guessing about magic anyway?" It's more of a joke than she admittedly expects it to come out. Perhaps her bitterness is smoothing out in his presence because it's more of an amusing prospect to be fumbling in the dark about their powers than daunting. Though she smirks a bit at his easily misunderstood words, gently nudging her leg at his own to draw him out of his head. He seems to need that sometimes, just like Sam, but it's easier to do it for him than for her own twin. "I'd really appreciate that actually. How do you get them?" Because sue her, she really is curious.

And then bam, the dude just pulls a crown out of thin air. Evie stares in blatant awe, taking the crown in hand even though she doesn't consciously think about it. But with a bright grin, she places it on her head, already devoting herself to wearing it for the rest of the day if she can help it. "That is the coolest thing I've ever seen," she gushes. Turning her head to and fro, she poses dramatically, pursing her lips and framing her face with her hands. "Tell me Peter, am I a beautiful queen?" It feels wrong to darken the tone of their little hideaway moment with her despair and questions over her new magic. This is far more enjoyable, and likely doing more for her in terms of accepting her magic than anything they could possible speak about.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
A wide blue gaze looked over the dusty shelves and books, Peters breath freezing in his lungs for a stuttered moment as something seemed to hit him. This quiet peace, with someone who’d become a friend just by chance, it was never something he’d dreamed for himself. And yet, he had no idea what he would do without moments like these. The laugh that huffs out of him is softer now, more genuine and almost choked up. ”It’s a good kingdom.” He tries, and utterly fails, to match her voice, too much glee in his own to sound anything close to pompous.

His laughter stops as the conversation grows a touch more serious, though not so serious the curve of his lips fades. He remembers her strange reaction to his magic, the connection between grasped like a lifeline. The feeling is familiar enough that he can’t think badly of her for it, even if it had made him wary the first time. ”I used to uh... to know a little bit. Real know, not... not guess know. But... not here.” He heaves out a soft sigh, then shrugs not letting the loss wrap around him. This is a good conversation. And besides: ”Wasn’t even really... magic Magic, back... before here.”

”I don’t, uh... they don’t come, I just...” Gods, there’s really no easy way to explain this, is there? In lieu of subjecting her to more of his fumbling words, he simply pulls his bag closer to him, opening the flap to reveal a pile of bones. Which promptly begins to move, uncurling from its resting position to step out of the bag properly, trodding over his lap towards her. ”This is... this is Apricum. It... it found me outside. In Longnight. I could also um... probably find more, other bones. If you want.” The offer was tacked on quickly, as if the undead luxere he’d pulled from practically nowhere would somehow be disappointing.

Though, if somehow his companion was lacking, the reaction to his creation more than made up for it. The look on Evie’s face made his chest pound, tears almost threatening to spring to his eyes. He’d felt this before, the last time he’d made something with real thought put in, but it hadn’t affected him quite so sharply. Despite that though, he shakes his head, unable to accept her compliment. ”There’s better things.” He asserts, going to give an example, and then realizing he isn’t actually sure what magic Evie has. Should he ask? Would it be rude? He can’t quite find the words before the crown is on her head, her posing drawing a laugh from him, and chasing the thought away. ”You are, yes. Very um... very beautiful, I mean.”
and I’ll end this duress
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
His joy buoys her own, lifting her spirits higher and amplifying the already blinding wattage of her grin. In a way this is a version of healing. Something that doesn't require magic or carefully constructed poultices. Something that comes directly from her. It's far more satisfying that way, and she kicks her feet up against the opposing wall with a roguish smirk to continue her little charade. Maybe she should have gone into acting instead. "What say you, King Peter? What shall we name this kingdom of ours? I'm partial to The Tomb of Tomes." A way to get him to engage, to poke harmless fun at the dusty old place they find themselves hiding away in.

It's easier to not be so nervous, here in this little cavern they've laid claim to. Just the two of them. "Not the first time I've heard that. I feel like here, people kinda just guess at it and hope for the best. It's still not well understood." Probably due to the instilled terror of being Abandoned that had tainted generations of Naturals in Caido. Interesting undoubtedly, but not enough to risk studying.

What is really interesting is the creature that assembles into place from a lump of bones before her, very much so alive against all reason, shuffling around on hooves that clack solidly against wood beneath them. Completely enamored, Evie lifts her hand slowly towards the curve of bone where once a soft muzzle would have been, wondering if it would let her stroke it in the same manner. "He's wonderful," she gushes, though her voice is soft and enthralled. A complete mystery of nature, more magic than anything, and still as enchanting as the live Luxere she has seen.

Peter's voice, his magic, his humbleness all draw her away from inspecting the curious Apricum. Her smile is almost secretive, aware of the hesitation in his silence. "Better than me at least. All I can do is heal some wounds and move a few branches. Crowns are so much cooler." And he'd just have to accept that, because Evie is always right. "You're very beautiful too, King Peter. I'll have to keep a close eye on you lest suitors come to steal you away." Winking, she tries to fight the grin that slices over her face, and miserably fails.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
The smile on Peters face grows more, cracking away more and more of his anxiety as it does. He pulls a second crown from the air, silver instead of the gold that Evies is, but just as striking against his hair, and leans forward, looking over the library with a careful eye. After a moment, he spoke, half glad that he hadn’t been able to think of anything better than Evies pun. The whole scene was her idea after all, he was just playing in it. ”I like that. Tomb... of Tomes.” The last part came out in an exaggerated accent, his voice quick and brimming with laughter.

It was so easy to talk to Evie, about seemingly anything. But the talk of magic seems to be one of those things that affected the apothecary more than it did him, and Peter wants desperately to help her in the same way she helped him. Helps him. ”Why don’t... people know about, or... know more about magic here? If it’s normal?” As soon as the words are out of his mouth, he knows they’re not right, but now he has to commit. At least he’ll maybe get a chance to learn ore about why the subject affected Evie so much.

Apricum lifts its nose to meet Evies hand, trusting and eager for the contact. Peter smiles, glad she hadn’t reacted poorly to his companion. A few people had; Loren, for instance, had seemed far less than comfortable, a reaction that stuck in Peters throat for whatever reason. He reaches out to stroke a lone finger along the bony luxere’s spine, focusing on the pale white of its body, the pure absence of light that is its antlers, until his partner in crime (/queen/friend) speaks. ”Not he.” He corrects softly, voice just as gentle as hers is now. ”It likes it best. And... I do too.” He couldn’t explain why, exactly, so he didn’t try, just hoped his words would be accepted.

”I think I might uh... I might like healing.” The words come out fairly smoothly, for him, and manage to sound like a joke, especially when he holds up his hands to show off the crisscrossing and overlapping marks on them. His tone starts to grow more serious the beginning of a question on his lips when she returns his compliment, and he sputters instead of saying anything. A blush creeps up his neck, his ears red hot as he smiles, and covers pet of his face. ”I have a... a suitor. Kind of. I think?” He managed, words trailing into confusion at the end. Did Adam count? Were suitors just for getting married to?
and I’ll end this duress
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
Another crown spins to life in his fingers, as sure as any metalworker, contrasting with his dark hair and fair cheeks. She grins to meet his own, feeling like a young girl hidden away in a blanket fort with Peter at her side. Reveling in the simplistic joy they are cultivating intentionally between them. Both deciding to leave darkness and despair at the door, to think about another time. "I'd say we're tyrants for the purpose of alliteration, but that's just mean." Laughing softly she combs her brain for another adjective, a task lost to the question he poses.

"Because the Gods scorn those born with magic, the Abandoned, because once upon a time a few Abandoned gained enough power to challenge the Gods themselves. Seeking to be new gods. So the Old Gods became...afraid I guess after they won. Resentful. And the people followed their lead." A story she had turned over in her mind for her entire life, wondering why she and those like her were so hated for something they could never control.

Apricum is a fitting distraction, and she takes the correction in stride, smiling and nodding even as her hand touches upon the bone it's made of. "It it is." Entranced by stroking the eager thing, the odd sensation of tempered bone beneath her palm. It is an odd, impossible creature, and she adores it for those very reasons.

"Kind of? Peter! You have to tell me more than that!" The who, what, when, where, why. She is a romantic at heart, and the idea of her new friend being swept away on the tides of courtship is positively riveting.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
The softness that they’ve managed to create between them, with only a few laughs and a little bit of effort between them, is new to Peter. It’s warm, and safe, and for the moment it feels like what he’s been working towards all his life, or at least a part of it. A private laugh, and some closeness, someone he doesn’t have to be serious with. ”We can be uh.. t-ty... tar... terrific? Terrific leaders? It’s... nicer, eh?” He laughed, watching Evie for approval, or something else.

”That’s... not fair.” It’s the first thing out of Peters mouth in the face of Evies explanation. His brow is furrowed, and as much as it pains him it makes so many things make sense. The hostility he’d felt from the gods, the expectation of failure in the face of Safrins challenge. ”I don’t want... I don’t want that. Being... overthrowing gods or... any of that. And I... I never knew.” He frowned, almost pouting at the idea. It simply wasn’t fair. ”Why are... why is everyone punished the same?”

Peter tried to keep his focus on his companion, on the gentle way Evie strokes along its skull and spine, if only so he didn’t turn red at her interest in his love life. ”It’s just, I mean, he’s... his name is Adam. We uh... we came from the same place, but at... at different times. And we... I’unno.” He shrugged, trying to ignore the way the words came pouring out of him now, like he’d just been waiting for someone to ask. ”I’ve never... never had anyone like that. Like him.” He laughed nervously, and looked down, covering his face with his hands. ”Sorry I... he makes me happy.”
and I’ll end this duress