tale padre tale figlio [Open]
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
BASTIEN
Bastien had returned to the Sanctuary after Longnight knowing he had a lot of unpacking to do. He had carefully wrapped each brush, canvas and book before leaving (which had protected them from the invasive mud that seemed to be everywhere, something for which he was very grateful) and lifted every chair onto each table. While he knew there was work ahead, he was glad for his foresight, and entered the guildhall eager to get to the job.

Yet when he entered, he saw chaos. Plenty of his fabric wraps remained but some lay open, paints ripped out and splattered up walls and across the floor, canvases on the ground baring crude, messy drawings. People, the sun...as if a child had drawn them. Speechless, Bastien stepped forward into the room, standing at the bottom of one of the canvases and looking upon it. He had never been one opposed to an avant garde artist or mess (the paint on the walls would simply add to the atmosphere, he was sure) but he wanted to know who this mysterious artist was.

It seemed for the moment the Sanctuary would give no answers. Leaving the door open so the cold Flowerbirth air could clear out any damp in the building, he began to tidy, stacking up the mystery art against one wall and putting the caps back on bottles of paint.
We're aware they're trying to take away our dreams
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
The white sheep of the family
Although Loren had apologized already, he still felt a little bad for some of the things he’d said to Bastien when the other man returned without Rexanna during LongNight. Although she had reassured the summoner that her husband likely bore the Launceleyn no ill will, he still felt bad and worried. If he was indeed going to be friends with her, he should probably make sure that Bastien didn’t hate the summoner.

Besides, the other man was sort of Loren’s patient. And seeing as the head of the Artist’s Sanctuary had an injured leg, it was probably far easier for the summoner to go to the other man. Which was enough to get the summoner moving. Astra was by his side, and he smiled and rubbed her head as she gave the mud a wary look. She’d had more than enough of it already.

Poking his head into the Sanctuary, the Launceleyn was surprised to see that something—or someone, maybe—had gotten in and...made art? It seemed to be a bit of chaos, though not necessarily in a bad way. Still, the Ascended was cleaning up. The summoner cleared his throat so as not to startle the other man. ”Bastien? It’s ah, Loren.” Loren gave Bastien a tentative smile. ”I um, came to check up on you, see how your leg was doing. And...well. Apologize again for what I said in the Temple.”

Glancing around, the Launceleyn stepped into the room. Astra did the same, peering curiously Seeing that the Ascended was putting caps back on paint cans, the summoner called upon the barest touch of magic; his telekinesis picked up every cap within range and screwed them on to the appropriate can. Belatedly, he realized he should probably ask. "Uh, can I help?" Probably, but he needed to get better at not poking his nose into everyone's business without permission.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien was used to the odd visitor when he left the doors of the Sanctuary open, welcomed them, but when he was focused in on a task they could often surprised him; Loren's entrance did just that, Bastien jolting a little over the gathered pencils and paints beneath him to look towards the door.

A lot of Longnight was swiftly becoming a lost blur to Bastien, who had spent most of the time either panicking or trying to stop panicking. He remembered Loren's sharp words, yes, but he also remembered how the man had quickly taken them back and how he had healed him. All in all, he had not held a grudge. Tensions had been high for everyone in that week and he was sure there had been more than a few venomous jibes tossed around.

"Hello! Do come in. The leg is...fine enough." He only gave a dismissive wave of his hand as far as the apology went.

As always he was entranced by the display of magic, his hands clapping together as he grinned, watching each cap find it's place with a wondrous glee. "Oh, yes! Especially if you will use your talents for it. I admire so the skills of the Abandoned. All this mess...I did not leave the place like this. I think I have had some kind of resident during Longnight, though they must have left by now."

Just as Bastien finished saying this, there was a strange noise, gurgling yet almost a laugh, from behind one of the fabric packages of canvases leaned up against the far corner. Looking to Loren then back to it, Bastien began to stand, slowly approaching it.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Bastien waved away the apology. Normally, that would’ve been enough for Loren to relax—though he would’ve still felt like he was walking on eggshells for a little while longer—but the Ascended’s comment caused the summoner’s brows to furrow. However, it was in concern, not from any dark emotion. ”Is it on the mend or the same? Have you noticed any difficulties walking?” He’d have asked about pain, but, well, the other man didn’t feel any. Maybe discomfort, but probably not even that. However, if the injury wasn’t healing properly the Launceleyn wanted to know about it.

Unfortunately, the other man’s regard and awe just served to make Loren uncomfortable. Even now, when he was happy to let the full scope of his abilities be known, he didn't really expect people to praise him for them. He flushed slightly, and ran a hand through his hair as he gave Bastien a sheepish look. ”It’s nothing special. And I’ve heard that the Ascended have some pretty incredible upgrades.” Indeed, Rexanna’s could completely neutralize pretty much anything the summoner could call upon.

As the other man explained that there must have been a resident here during LongNight, the Launceleyn frowned again. He didn’t exactly like the sound of that, since, well, monsters. Apparently it was gone now though. Or at least, that’s what Bastien assumed; before the Launceleyn could ask what, exactly, made the other man say that, there was a weird sound from the far corner. Apparently it wasn't as gone as they'd both though. Glancing at the Ascended, Loren shook his head and placed his finger on his lips to indicate that Bastien should hopefully stay where he was. Then the summoner called on his magic.

Two wolves appeared. They padded forward, and one of them grip the fabric package gingerly with its teeth (the Launceleyn didn’t want to damage whatever was inside). Then the first wolf pulled the package aside while the second wolf stood guard.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Ah...sometimes I feel myself put a little too much weight on my other side as if to compensate for it, but without pain it is hard to know if much is wrong." Bastien shrugged. In his life without pain, wounds did not concern him as much as they once might have (as long as they did not compromise his beautiful appearance) and a slightly dodgy ankle did not stop him from doing anything he needed to.

Modesty was never anything Bastien had had much time for. "Rexanna is better than most of us put together, but that does not make your magic any less impressive." Indeed, he was even further impressed as Loren made two living, breathing creatures from nothing, standing with the wolves to see what it was resided in the corner.

The package clattered to the ground and behind it, tensing up at the sound, was a little gremlin. Green and chubby, covered in paint, he was hardly a terrifying monster of the dark. Bastien stared at him, then Loren, then back to him. "Ah...um....hello...it is you who has been destroying my studio, hm, little pittore?"

The Gremlin did not respond in anything approaching human words, but babbled as if speaking a strange language built up of squeaks and giggles and smacked a palmful of purple paint against the wall.
the Firebrand

Change author:
That didn’t sound great, but it also sounded kind of like the leg was healing normally. Loren didn’t know, really: without his magic, he wasn’t the best doctor, he would readily admit that. It was why he was a student. While Ascended were purported to heal faster than others, apparently even they had trouble with complex injuries sometimes. ”Well, I can take a look if you’d like. I think I’m likely just to prescribe staying off of it as much as possible until its fully healed.” So not traipsing about the Sanctuary or the Hollowed Ground.

Of course, between Bastien and Rexanna, they might need some assistance. ”I’d be happy to help you and Rexanna out for a bit until you’re both healed up and on your feet.” That they would heal up was not in doubt, of course. The offer came out a bit awkwardly, but sincerely; the Launceleyn really wouldn’t mind helping the married couple out, not in the slightest. The summoner wasn’t really doing anything important at the moment. Now that LongNight was over, he had quite a bit of free time on his hands, and was mostly left to his own devices.

Besides, it seemed like the sort of thing a friend and a good person would try to do.

He might have to get used to compliments from Bastien first, though. ”She could take me in a fight, I’m sure. But thank you. I...am not used to having my magic seen as something to be praised.” For a while, Loren had been very weak, especially compared to his family, which had elevated strength above almost any other virtue. He’d been tortured as a result, in mind, body, and spirit. There were still others that surpassed him: Remi, Deimos, Rexanna, all came to mind. Probably Zariah too.

But that didn’t mean the summoner was weak, just weak in comparison. Unfortunately, it would take him some time for him to get used to the idea of being a strong mage. And even if he was willing to embrace his own power, it would take even longer for him to accept that others viewed him as anything but a liability. Of course, he was striving to be useful and reliable. Maybe that was why he reacted so poorly when people discounted him. Just because he still had kind of low self-esteem—and doubted himself and pretty much every decision he made—didn’t mean he wanted others to view him in a negative light. In fact, he might need them to think positively of him in order to view himself that way as well.

All of that was irrelevant to the task at hand. The wolves pulled away the barrier to expose a creature. Even Loren, with his extensive knowledge of every bestiary he could get his hands on couldn’t put a name to it. Still, it seemed harmless enough, so he dismissed his wolves as Bastien approached. The Launcelyn was more than happy to let the other man take the lead, especially as the monster (which was a very cute monster, especially to the summoner, who loved pretty much all creatures), slapped a paint covered hand against the wall.

Seemed they'd found their dastardly culprit.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"That is fine by me. At the moment most of my days consist of painting and sitting with Rexanna, so I do not have far to walk." At the most to the market to buy wine, but that was hardly a long trek. He had been surprised recently at how settled and stationary his life had become - and even more so how content he was with it. "Thank you, but I think we will manage fine. We have The Voice caring for us too."

Bastien laughed, sure Rexanna could take almost anyone. Partly blinded by his love perhaps, but he had also seen the strength of both her magic and spirit. "It is useful for many things as well as impressive. In my world, you would have become rich easily with skills like yours." He could not imagine the furore that things he'd grown used to here would cause back in Venice.

Case in point, the little gremlin now making fingerprints on his wall. He seemed unable to speak, but as Bastien knelt he happily came over and grasped at his hand, seemingly looking for a parent figure to stick to. "Oh. Well...hello. I will get you a canvas, if you like?" Pittore seemed to understand what he meant for the little gremlin nodded. With a grin, Bastien turned to Loren. "And you?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren nodded first to Bastien’s statement that the other man would rest his leg and that he and Rexanna could manage on their own. The summoner wasn’t quite so sure about either of those, but he was willing to accept Bastien’s judgment of his own capabilities. ”Alright. Well, let me know if your leg gets worse or if you change your mind about the help.” Apparently, the Launceleyn was learning not to butt in where he wasn’t welcome. Good for him, he supposed.

Yes, his magic was useful, and yes, even he’d admit impressive. However, he’d grown up in a very particular (and particularly evil) household that had some specific ideas on the proper use and place of power, magical and otherwise. ”Money can’t buy happiness. And magic can’t earn it.” He smiled a bit. Once upon a time, it might’ve contained a sad edge to it; while there were still echoes of that, it was mostly just a normal smile. He was healing, in mind and spirit, and he was finding happiness in more parts of his life than he’d expected.

The little creature was adorable, especially in its interactions with Bastien. As the other man offered the critter—and the summoner, weirdly enough—canvas, Loren grinned. Just because he was intrigued and maybe a bit annoyed that he didn’t recognize the creature didn’t mean he couldn’t appreciate it. ”I think I’ll leave the art to the experts and their companions. Thank you, though.” The summoner was not someone who could create fantastic works, regardless of what Bastien or Oliver might think. Besides, the Launceleyn had done what he came here to do and then some.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien felt very offended that Loren could think he was implying money meant happiness. Him, the bohemian artist. "I am well aware. But in Venice that was how men marked their success." He had never agreed with it, but he had had to play along with the system. How else would he have had paints to use, wine to drink? In a city ruled by merchants there was a price for everything.

"If you insist. Though everyone is capable if they believe they are - that is not just a sentiment, I believe it." Bastien guided Pittore back to the center of the room and began to set up a table easel on the floor, which was the right height for his new friend, as well as some brightly coloured paints. It seemed that the gremlin was happy, for it began to immediately splosh red paint all over the canvas Bastien picked out.

Returning to his sorting, Bastien began to return ornaments and decorations to their correct places in the hall. "You may stay, if you like. I believe I am close to unpacking the wine."
the Firebrand

Change author:
Idly, Loren wondered whether or not he’d known if Bastien was an Outlander. Not important. ”I’ve never been in a world that had anything but a barter system.” The summoner gave the other man an apologetic smile.

It slipped away as the artist spoke. Sighing, the Launceleyn ran a hand through his hair. ”I appreciate your confidence in me, but it’s less a failure of talent than of imagination.” That wasn’t upsetting to Loren, so he smiled at Bastien to hopefully convey that.

As the other man set up a station for himself and the critter, the summoner walked around and continued cleaning up the obvious messes. It was hard to know what was trash and what was art, considering how cluttered the space was. However, he did his best. ”I’ll leave you are your companion to bond.” That was a legitimately good excuse. However, the Launceleyn was also not ready to start drinking again. Giving the artist a nod and the creature a cheerful little wave, Loren turned to go.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!