golden comets
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Harper
I thank whatever gods may be
for my unconquerable soul
Harper gasps dramatically, ignoring the trobving of his shoulder as he lifts his good hand to his chest and gives a wide-eyed stare to his companion. "So you're saying I'm special then!" Cobalt eyes glitter with mischievous amusement at the notion, though he's admittedly curious how long Oliver has been here and who the kid is. But his exaggeration fades into a deeply sincere look of appreciation, one hand outstretched to gently touch Oliver's elbow if he would allow such a thing. "Thank you, truly. Where I come from it would be unheard of to treat me so kindly. It means a lot." Harper may not be a wordsmith, but he wears his heart on his sleeve, and he hopes Oliver can tell how deeply his kindness has moved him.

But it's not the time for vomiting emotion and sparkles everywhere! There are places to explore! Harper laughs at Oliver's playful complaints, nudging their shoulders together and leaning in to whisper loudly. "It's okay I won't tell anyone you're hopeless at directions." He can't help but treat Oliver a little like a younger brother, teasing and cajoling at every given opportunity. Hunger isna sufficient distraction though, and he visibly perks up. "Now you're speaking my language! I'm always hungry dear Olly. What do you recommend?" Vigilante work burned a hell of a lot of calories, and an hour ago he'd been brawling. Food sounds wonderful.

Code base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
OLIVER
Okay, Oliver defidently liked this guy. He had such a fantastic personality, one that was completely infectious. It made Oliver feel like he could open up, have fun, and enjoy life. It was a far contrast to what he had gotten used to during LongNight and he welcomed it with open arms. "Sure, I guess you are special." He laughed and winked at Harper in a playful way. It was shocking to suddenly receive the contact, but it was accepted. He hadn't expected to hear such heartfelt comments from Harper, but it made him feel warm inside. Like he had done something incredible when all he had done was be nice. "It's no problem, Harper. I'm glad that I've been able to make you feel so happy...and I'm also glad I happened to find you here...you've already done a lot for me too." To know that he had already made Harper feel welcomed, well, it made Oliver feel even better. Harper deserved happiness and Oliver was happy he had allowed the man to experience those emotions.

The blonde let out a laugh and shook his head. He grinned at the other man and remarked playfully, "Slow down, we aren't in that much of a rush! We need to get you some essentials first, then we can reward ourselves with some food." There was a very clear pause at the end of his voice, like he was waiting to tell Harper something big, something exciting.

"Just as a little thing to keep you waiting, there is someone who sells some pretty good spiced bread. It'll be a great meal."

With that he started searching for a stall that traded clothes, occasionally looking over at Harper to see if anything caught his eye.
i saw that my life
was a vast glowing empty page
and i could do anything i wanted
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Harper
Harper's grin is practically splitting his face when Oliver plays into it. "And now you're my favorite person for saying that." Not that he'd met anyone else, but who would Harper be if he wasn't dramatic? Dead, probably. You could take the boy out of the circus...

At least Oliver seems receptive to his appreciation at least. Others, especially the men he had known in the past, would often shrink away from such emotional availability. It's a breath of fresh air to have it accepted so readily. "Then I'm glad I can pay it back even a little." How exactly he was helping the young man was beyond him, but he was glad to do it at all.

A groan of dismay leaves the man, and he slumps sideways into Oliver like he's about to fall to the ground. Moaning sadly and tearfully as he pressed his face to the man's shoulder. "I take it back, you're cruel! How could you tease me with food and not deliver?" Of course the second Oliver breaks and decides they will get food, the man springs back to his feet, limber and childlike as he squawks victoriously at the prospect of bread.

Like a child he goes wandering through the stalls, mostly relying on plain colors and styles that will allow his ridiculous acrobatics once he gets his shoulder fixed. When he finds one he calls out to Oliver, who helps him barter his way through the process (a good thing because Harper is a pushover who would likely not bargain for an equal deal). Which lands him with at least a few shirts to start with as they continue on. "You're gonna have to help me get outside my comfort level of terrible style." Functionality was always the important thing for him, which meant style was a foreign word to Harper.

Code base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
OLIVER
"Aw, you make me blush." Oliver grinned at the other man before returning to look forward. He wasn't one who was afraid of showing emotions, nor for being honest with them. He felt as though that everyone should be free to express themselves however freely that he wanted. This also meant that he would do anything in his power to make others feel better, show some sort of happiness. It meant that things were going well. Harper was a sign of this, because he seemed so genuinely happy. Hopefully he'd be able to remain that way once he learned of all the bad things that happened in Caido.

The dramatic acts returned and all Oliver could do was playfully roll his eyes. "You cant reward someone prematurely." It was true. They should get progress done first, then relax and enjoy some bread together. Once Harper heard of the fact that food was promised, he immediately kicked into overdrive. It was amusing to follow after him, watch as he searched for the perfect outfit.

Luckily for him, Oliver did have some things to barter with. It wasn't much but it apparently was enough to get them some shirts. Now, if the shirts were fancier, he wouldn't have had enough, but Harper seemed interested in some pretty bland ass shit...not that Oliver was judging or anything. "Don't worry, I'll be able to help you out. I personally believe in being functional but confident. Wear something that makes you feel good about yourself. It makes you happier and other people can tell." It was his way of thinking. He wore what made himself feel good and he didn't care if others found it to be ugly. It's too bad he hadn't quite found too many things that achieved this, yet. He still was searching for outfits he could call his.

Next, they needed to find some pants and probably a couple of pairs of shoes. "Alright, so we need to find things to go with those outfits. Those pants wont survive you all season, not at all. So...lets look for some pants in colors that go with a lot of things? Just your basic colors. Let me know if you see something you like." Oliver made sure to be on the lookout for anything nice.

"The naturals can normally tell when you're an outlander, or someone not from here originally. Don't let it get to you, though. It isn't that much of a problem, really." Except for the fact that apparently some naturals thought he was cursed and had nothing good to offer thanks to him being an Abandoned.
i saw that my life
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
"Aww can't I be rewarded just for being my fantastic self? I'll perish before we ever make it to the food." It's grumbled playfully, but he gamely throws himself into looking at the available cloth and premade garments on display. His current gear is admittedly intimidating with the Kevlar, built in armor, kneepads... but luckily Oliver is correct and the merchants are friendly and willing to barter with what they have on hand. A few even welcome his physical help, though he's careful not to overexert or display the fact that his shoulder is fucked up. Pain is an old friend of his, and he doesn't want to worry Oliver or ruin their time together.

More than a good guide, Oliver is more than adept at helping Harper find things he likes. "So long as I can do backflips and cartwheels," he allows, not wanting to bring up the fact that he needed the range of movement for battle as well. Most people didn't react well to that particular part of his life. He points out a few garments that he likes, tells Oliver his favorite colors, and trusts that the younger man will keep an eye out for anything he'd like to suggest to Harper.

"Oh, I'm not too worried. They can judge all they like, it's not like we asked to be here huh?" Still he smiles, because truly it doesn't bother him. Harper has seen hell itself, has lost so much, suffered incredible pains. The narrow stares of a few small-minded locals can't touch him anymore.

Code base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Oliver shook his head, smiling at the other. "It sadly doesn't work like that. As amazing and fantastic as you are, spiced bread is only given to those who wait." Oliver himself only found out about the bread after living in the Hollowed Grounds for quite a long time. "If you die, it'll sure be a shame. Especially when we've hardly even gotten to know each other."

Spending time with Harper has proved to be enjoyable. It's nice to actually see that the merchants are able to help out. Knowing that so many people have decided to be kind reassures Oliver that Harper will too be okay. That he will be able to see that yeah, life will be different in Caido, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Oliver doesn't have the luxury of being able to look back on past memories, all he can do is make the best out of his new life. He wants to show others this same thing. Also, not that he was looking or anything, but Harper is clearly very strong. He has a lovely physique.

"Oh? Backflips and cartwheels? Please, go on." Oliver was deeply interested in hearing a bit more about who Harper once was. At least, only the amount the other man was willing to share AND to whatever wouldn't make him feel bad.

"Well, yeah, we didn't choose to come here, but that's exactly why we should try to make the best of this. Live life where you feel happy. People probably wont judge you, though, if it makes you feel any better." Oliver had seen some disastrous senses of styles, no offense to people like Remi or Loren. They simply didn't prioritize looking the best of the best, and hey, they were still incredible people to be around.

Soon enough, Oliver spotted a certain pair of shoes that just screamed Harper. They looked nice and flexible, perfect for whatever it is Harper planned on doing. Oliver started to guide the other man towards them. "How about you try this time? I'll step in if you need help, but I think you got this. You're confident and charismatic."
i saw that my life
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
"Flatterer," Harper teases, though his cheeks are a little warm at the compliment. Usually he's the one showering compliments and praise om others, he's quite weak it seems when it's reversed onto him. "But then I could be a mysterious burden on your conscience, Olly." He winks, grinning at the idea. Harper should have gotten into theatre, clearly that was his calling in another life.

"I grew up in a traveling circus. I was flying on the trapeze before I could walk! I used to ride elephants, perform aerial silks, the whole nine yards. Performing was my entire life, and I learned so many flips and twists I can't even count them all." His expression softens, nostalgic and wistful, recalling a time filled with color, lights, and sound that he can never return to but has always wanted to. It takes a moment but he shakes himself from it, a dark sadness shadowing his eyes but his smile remains sincere. "I banged up my shoulder arriving here, but just you wait and I'll dazzle those fancy pants right off you." It's practically a promise, Harper lives to show off after all.

He hums softly in silent understanding of what Oliver proposes. Hopefully everyone else will be as friendly and likable as Oliver, but it's no skin off Harper's nose if they hate him. When Oliver directs him towards a pair of shoes he sucks in a steadying breath and goes in by himself. With surprising success, though the compliment about his charm likely helps bolster his confidence. He walks away with the shoes proudly held aloft, grinning wildly at Oliver. "Think that's deserving of some bread?"

Code base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
"What? I'm only speaking the truth" Oliver proceeded to act overly innocent, like he hadn't done a single thing wrong. "Whatever shall I do with the thought that I helped you to be stylish, rather than getting you fancy bread." Rather than winking back, he threw a playful wink towards his way. It'd be fine, Oliver had no worries in the slightest.

As the brunette began his tales, Oliver listened with eager ears and wide eyes. It sounded incredible, but Oliver wasn't exactly a fan of Harper admitting he had banged up his shoulder. Nothing seemed too wrong, luckily, so maybe things would be alright? "Go to the infirmary to get your shoulder checked out. I can't help you myself, I don't have healing magic." Too bad topi, it wasn't like Oliver assumed that Harper probably looked attractive without a shirt on or anything. No. That's gay. No homo bro.

"We have an Artist's guild here. We also have an Artisan's guild. I don't quite know the difference, but one of them would probably love an acrobat. You could continue to do performances...if that's what brings you joy. I know I'd come and see you perform." It was a sincere compliment as well as his attempt at advice. Oliver truly would come and see Harper, afterall he had no memories of ever seeing an acrobat perform. It'd probably be spectacular.

Back on topic time.

Harper actually did an impressive job of snagging the shoes. Oliver nodded, proud of what Harper had been able to achieve in such little time. "You know what? Yeah. I think you deserve some bread." So, without waiting for a response, Oliver started to guide Harper towards the infamous bread.
i saw that my life
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
"Fancy clothes don't keep a man's belly full," he teases in quick retort, though his grinning mouth tempers any sharpness. Well, unless those clothes happened to include a leotard, because Harper had certainly earned his keep in the circus by performing in one. Not that he could pull off that kind of look now - oh good lord no - but he doesn't need to give Oliver the ammunition either. The kid was sharp, and Harper wanted to keep the both of them on their toes. No mercy, no surrender.

"Don't worry your pretty head, I swear I'll hunt someone down and get it fixed." Though he appreciates the concern nonetheless. Pain doesn't feel any different to Harper than any other man. It's not something that you can train away. But reacting to it? Compartmentalizing it? Oh, the League had certainly done that. He'd simply not tell Oliver the severity of the injury, confident in his abilities to cope with it and recover swiftly.

Harper can't help his touchy nature, reaching out to place a hand on Oliver's shoulder, trailing up to cup his cheek and smile down at him kindly. "You don't know how much it means to hear that. I'd happily perform for you and any others. Maybe I can even teach you some tricks!" His smile turns into a grin once more, tapping Oliver's cheek playfully and dancing out of reach in case revenge is swift. Of course he loops right back into Oliver's personal space at the notion of food, practically trotting after him like an eager pup as the shorter man leads them onward. "The best reward I've ever been given, truly." Who cares about clothes or the success of a day at the market? Harper just cares about those good old delicious carbs.

Code base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
There was a long pause. "You got me there. Fancy clothes cannot do that." Harper had won this fight, but it wouldn't be the last! At least he had somewhat promised Oliver that he would go and get his shoulder checked out. Oliver was probably the last person who should help him out with his dilemma. "You damn well better. If I see you again and find out you didn't go to see someone? No more cinnamon bread for you." Maybe he shouldn't be this overbearing, but all he wanted was for Harper to be alright.

At the sudden contact on his shoulder, Oliver's eyebrows raised. As the hand moved to cup his face, a light blush finally crossed face, highlighting his cheeks. Oliver wasn't sure if it was the sudden contact or the thoughts that crossed his mind that made him blush so, but it was wonderful to hear those words come from Harper's mouth. The blonde smiled at him and laughed, not really as though something was funny...he just felt happy. "I'd love to learn some tricks...once you're healed up, come to me. You can show off what you got and I can start learning." After all, Harper couldn't show Oliver what he could do while injured.

The hand left his face and Oliver was left with wide eyes and a small smile across his lips. Harper was going to be a good addition to Caido...Oliver just knew it.

With the other's attention once again hooked, Oliver navigated the way through the stalls, even once going through a back alley just to get to the one spot. A very cute stall stood in between one that sold spices and one that sold pottery. It didn't take long but Oliver managed to snag himself some bread. He wasn't exactly in the mood to do some tiresome work, so he promised the baker to help him later on, an IOU of sorts. Luckily, the baker trusted him enough to let him get by with that.

And so: Oliver finally had a beautiful, hot and fresh loaf of bread, perfect for splitting into two.
i saw that my life
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
Harper's smile is positively smug at the minor win he has garnered from their banter. But he holds his hands up - the left as far as he can without strain - in the universal gesture of submission, expression turning meek at the chiding. "I will, I will. Don't have to pull out the big guns okay?" Banning him from delicious bread is far too cruel for the munchmouth man.

Oliver's warm cheeks only softens Harper's expression, thumb stroking idly across his cheekbone before pulling away. He's glad that his touch - intimate though it can be perceived as - is received without problem. Already he feels so attached to the young man, and he needs to orient himself through touch. Remind himself that there are good things, good people, in this new world he has found himself in. "No worries there. You can't get rid of me now, I'll be hunting you down as soon as the doc lets me go." A bit of an exaggeration, but he certainly intends to seek him out soon after. Oliver is someone he wants to keep in this new life he has to build.

He hangs around the shorter man as soon as he returns with the bread, making little snapping motions with his hands as he playfully tries to steal the entire loaf. Instead he takes charge and leads them a decently tucked away spot to sit and eat, crossing his legs and falling straight to the earth in one smooth motion. "Come on, don't hold out on me now. You've talked it up so much I need to try it!"

Code base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
The blonde let out a shrug, trying to hide his smile. "Don't worry, that'd be too cruel of me to prevent you from having any of the bread." He had to let Harper know that bread was still a possibility of course. Oliver wanted that damn bread too.

The thumb on his cheekbone only made him blush ever so slightly more. It wasn't often that others were this touchy with him. Most people here seemed to be adverse to anything. No hugs with those you trusted, only a handshake and that's it. Oliver almost missed it, really. "Hopefully the 'doc' wont be too hard on you. You don't seem too bad, if you ask me, so you shouldn't be trapped in the infirmary for too long." He flashed Harper a wink.

With the bread in hand, Oliver took a seat across from Harper, that way the two could talk face to face. It'd be easier and far more...intimate? Er, less awkward? Oliver couldn't place it, but it just felt right.

Ripping the loaf in half, Oliver held both halves close to him, almost as though he were tempting Harper. Then, finally, he held out one half to him. "I hope that I haven't over hyped it." He said with a grin before taking a bite out of his own piece, closing his eyes half-way and letting out a small hum. It was absolutely perfect to him. Now all he could do was eagerly watch for Harper's reaction, hoping that he'd like it just as much as him. The bread should be perfect for talking about new things.

"What questions do you have?" Oliver asked after he had finished off his first bite.
i saw that my life
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
Harper knew he was gonna get away with it, and his smile is positively dazzling when Oliver acquiesces. Laughs freely when the other man tosses him a wink, feeling his soul settle a little as his first day in Caido winds down a natural path. "I'm sure I'd start climbing the walls if they kept me in there too long. Literally. And then they'd definitely have to let me out." Harper was more a creature of the air than the earth, had been born to fly and climb and find the highest possible places and then make his way to the top somehow. It had been the purpose of the circus as a front for grooming young assassins, but Harper had always been a little different. A little more bird than boy.

He rocks back and forth idly as they sit facing each other, incapable of staying still at any given moment. He gratefully receives his portion of the bread when Oliver finally deigns to give it, having nearly been driven to whining if it meant filling his stomach. Fighting assholes was exhausting, and he can't even remember his last real meal. Not the best habit for sure, but well...he didn't exactly have a choice about changing them now. This little town seems far too peaceful for his particular skillset, though it leaves him floundering, wondering who he even is without his little "night job". It had taken so long to figure out he'd even wanted to do that. It's disheartening to realize he has to figure it out all over again.

Instead of lingering on those dark thoughts, he takes a bite out of the still warm bread, and makes a loud happy noise around his mouthful. It's delightful. Probably more than normal considering how hungry he is, but he certainly isn't complaining. "No, this is absolutely perfectly hyped up. They have a new regular customer." Which just further encourages him to figure out a good way to make his way in this world, if only to barter for more of this delicious bread.

Pausing while chewing, he hums thoughtfully and continues his gentle rocking motions. "Honestly I know so little that I don't even know the right questions to ask."

Code base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Oliver couldn't agree more on that sentiment. "Honestly, I don't blame you. You're lucky you missed out on Longnight...it....it wasn't great. It was a week of absolute darkness, nothing else. We had to stay inside to be safe, and well...I couldn't stand being inside for that long. I had to do something constantly after a while, otherwise I felt like I was going to explode." Oliver was sure Harper was the same, especially considering that he was once an acrobat. Someone like that must be active and no way would Harper enjoy being cooped up for so long.

To look on Harper's face as he tasted the bread was all Oliver needed. It let him know that he had done good: Harper liked it. With a smile forming on his own face, Oliver listened to Harper speak. "I'll have to let the baker know you like it." The baker would surely enjoy knowing that yet another person enjoyed his baked goods. Oliver would have to shelve that idea away, remembering that Harper enjoyed it.

It's funny to see that Harper seemed far more restrained. Back when he had first arrived, Oliver asked tons and tons of questions. Maybe they were different types of people, or maybe it was because one had a complete set of memories, while the other didn't. That didn't really matter, though, Oliver was ready to help prepare Harper for his new life.

"Well...I guess I'll just start explaining, if you ever have a question, let me know." He paused for a second as he contemplated what to start with. Clapping his hands together, Oliver wrapped up his half of the loaf and placed it down on his lap.

"Okay...so the basics I guess? Well, here in the Hollowed Grounds, there are multiple different races. It doesn't really matter what you were before as things are completely different here. The races are Accepted, Attuned, Abandoned, and Ascended. The accepted have no magical abilities, but the gods like...love them. Attuned can turn into animals. The abandoned are capable of doing all kinds of magical abilities...then the ascended are kinda like vampires? But sexy vampires." Woah that was a lot. Oliver took a deep breath and waited for at least some sort of response. "Oh yeah, people can be more than one? Like...you can be both abandoned and attuned."
i saw that my life