organic domestication
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
i am a brutally soft woman
It was the delightful pink dragon that alerted Phoebe to the addition to their group, a mean snarl ripping through Pim's throat as he spun around. The dragonling stood on his hindlegs, wings stretching out and flapping to both keep his balance and appear much larger and therefore scarier. Unlike Oia, this newcomer was a male, and males were fare more threatening. Though...a few sniffs and it seemed this male was another Raeling.

By the time Phoebe turned to see what had gotten Pim so upset he was settling down, still growling a warning at Rae's male offspring who appeared behind Phoebe-favored-by-Frey so suddenly. "Pim! Leave him be, I'm so sorry he gets a bit riled when snuck up on from behind." Phoebe said to the young man, sharing a glare with the dragonling who was wholly unpreterbed and unimpressed with her chiding. Really, Phoebe was quite surprised to suddenly see a young man there too, but...well this whole encounter was very strange so she simply was going to go with the flow. "My name is Phoebe...do you two know each other?" she asked, continuing to lead the way to the College while Pim continued to shoot glares at Kaimana.
Scientist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
wisdom begins in wonder
"Oh! Hullo, Friend'a Frey." You greet the blonde cheerfully, though you are quickly distracted by the small pink dragon who is now, apparently, quite irate with you. Grinning widely with open adoration you kneel in the mud, reaching out a hand to the angry little creature, completely unperturbed by the fact that there seems to be a solid chance you will not get it back. "Hullo, Pim! I'm Kaimana but you can call me Kai if you want. You're an excellent dragon. I dun think I've seen a pink one 'afore." At least, not that you can remember.

Standing back up you make an effort to keep pace with Oia, still glancing periodically at the dragon. "Yes," is the simple answer to her question, though you laugh a little at it. Of course you know each other. "How come your notes are at The College? You don' carry 'em with you? Oia always has her notes. What if somethin' noteworthy happens?" You, of course, have absolutely no notes, but really that's what your sister is for. Your memory is surprisingly excellent considering what an airhead you can be, and you generally just recount your discoveries for your twin to carefully categorize.
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 4 - Int:
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
& so it goes
You watch your twin as he dangles his limb before the dragon. "I wonder if the species of lizard that can regrow their tails lives here." You say suddenly, your thought pattern roughly being: Kai might lose a limb, it won't regrow, it would be fascinating if it could regrow, there are a species of lizards for whom this is possible, do they live here.

Glancing up, interested in hearing the answer to this question as well, your fingers unconsciously tighten around the pages of your book; evidence of the fact that yes, you do indeed carry your notes with you everywhere.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Pim blinked at Kai in confusion, the clear, hard lid clicking closed just before his scaled lids did. For being a Raeling this Almost-godling-male did not understand what a warning was. He snarled and snapped towards him before placing himself firmly between him and Phoebe. The blonde just sighed and shook her head at her dragon companion, well used to his mood swings by now. ”Frey gave Pim to me, which is perhaps why his color is unique. The lightning he breathes also looks like rainbows.” she said with a small smile, patting Pim’s head in hopes it would calm him.

As far as lizards regrowing limbs? Phoebe had no answers about that.

”I had a notebook that was specifically dedicated to the blight. My regular notebook is in here.” she said, patting her little bag. It also was her planner and work tracker so she did tend to always have it. ”But since the blight has subsided and won’t return thanks to the intervention of Rae and Vi, I keep it at the College. It is more useful there to those who might wish to study it than it is with me now.” she explained, the Temple slowly coming in to view because the narrator is impatient and bends reality on the regular.

But instead of going through the main doors, Phoebe veered off to one side, leading the twins through the medicinal plant garden, which was blooming wonderfully now that she had gotten it sorted. ”This is the medicinal plant garden for the College.” she explained as she began to lead them to the back door of the lecture hall.
Scientist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
wisdom begins in wonder
"Rainbows? Can I see? That's fascinatin'." Your enthusiasm is undiminished by Pim's apparent dislike of you, because as far as you're concerned he really is entitled to it and you can't fault him for being honest.

As she leads you on you continue to ask questions, rapid-firing since the Friend of Frey seems to have no issue answering. Speaking of which... "How come you're called Friend'a Frey? Why'd Frey give you a dragon? Didja want a dragon? Why's he called Pim? Did he choose his name or did you?"

It isn't until you reach the garden that you stop chattering - and indeed, stop moving, your attention wholly transfixed upon the lovely array of life in the middle of the sharp lines of civilization. "Oh, hullo!" you greet the plants adoringly, the same way you might an old friend. "Lookit you, all growin' in straight lines an' small spaces. So well behaved." Smiling, you reach out to stroke a lovely chamomile, which seems to respond with happiness, its leaves rustling as it brushes against your fingers.
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Change author:
& so it goes
"How are you so confident that it won't return?" You ask, suddednly looking quite intrigued. For Rae and Vi to have fully eradicated something is shocking to you. After all, there is a place for all of Vi's creations within Rae's world. And, though the blight may or may not have been Rae's doing, there was still place for such a fascinating and destructive life form. "You should make copies." You suggest, though your tone is much closer to disapproval.

On the issue of dragon naming, you suddenly perk up, quite interested in this. On the one hand, you believe strongly in being allowed to name yourself. However Kai has pointed out to you in the past that being given a name is part of the bonding process and creates a sense of familiarity and love. This of course you don't understand, thinking autonomy swamps minor considerations like comfort and emotional stability.

As Phoebe turns her back to lead you two through the garden, you and Kai almost instantly go in opposite directions. You care little about what Phoebe has to say in this moment, much more interested in noting down the ways the local flora have responded to their new enclosure. Some seem to be doing extremely well in the humid environment, while others seem to need some encouragement (stakes to help certain strands of ivy grow, for instance). Taking quick notes, you stick out your tongue and then totally enclose a leaf in your mouth. It is commonly used as a topical cream to numb skin. Counting carefully, you wait to see how long this inside-grown plant takes to have the same effect as it's wild counterparts.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
As if in response to his question Pim breathed a short streak of lightning into the air. True to Phoebe’s word, the bolt looked that of iridescent rainbows, like light cast through a prism. His wings flapped once more before the dragonling tucked them against his side, trudging along next to Phoebe grumpily.

”Well, I am not certain anyone calls me Friend of Frey as a title, but I am Frey’s Friend. As far as I know, I’m the only one in the Grounds who has taken the time to come to know Frey for more than their most obvious traits. They have been there for me through some of my most trying times and comforted me and helped me grow.” she said fondly, a small smile curving her lips. Simply talking about the herald brought a warmth to her expression. ”Frey gave me a dragon because it was what I thought I needed to be safer, and so far that has proven to be true.” she said, patting the dragonling’s head. ”I named him Pim but…it wasn’t a conscious thing really. It just felt right in the moment. I looked at him right after he hatched and just…felt his name was Pim.” she said with a small smile.

At Oia’s comment and question caused the blonde to turn to glance at her smiling a little. She was happy to answer her questions as well. ”Because this was no ordinary disease. It was an attack by the Voice – which so potent it even made Safrin deathly ill.” she said. It hadn’t been just a threat to the mortal realm but the realm of the divine. That Vi’s own herald had been afflicted left no doubt in Phoebe’s mind that Vi would have seen the blight destroyed. ”Oh I am making copies! I’m working on that between my duties at the College, my midwifery practice, and raising my nephews though so it is slow going.” she admitted sheepishly.

But the two seemed captivated in their own way by the garden, and she was happy the wait. ”It is doing much better this year than last. Only the andrographis is giving me trouble. It’s in the sunniest spot but it still isn’t very happy.” she said with a sigh, glancing at the slightly wilty leafy plant. Everything else was coming along nicely, and the tiered beds and hanging flower shelves on the walls allowed for many more plants than should have fit in the area. Seeing Oia trying to eat the nettle plant. ”Careful! You’re whole mouth will go numb!” Phoebe said worriedly, hurrying over to the girl.
Scientist

Change author:
wisdom begins in wonder
"How d'ya know you're the only one?" It seems fairly unlikely, given how many people live here, and for how long, and the roles the heralds have played in their lives. "What kinda difficult times? How'd they help?" You do not stop to consider that maybe these are questions she will not want to answer. If they are, well, you're fine letting go of the topic. You have a lot more to wonder about, after all.

You look at the plant that Phoebe has pointed out as not growing particularly well with an expression of unhappiness, shaking your head a little and scooting toward it in the dirt. "Well that's 'cus they like it real hot, o'course," you explain patiently, as though she were a student and you the master gardener. Giving the wilting plant a critical eye, you tsk, shaking your head. "There now- this isn' your ecosystem, is it? It's too cold an' too early, an' you're all crowded. Let's scoot ya over here."

Without much thought to how it might disturb Phoebe's garden arrangement you nudge the bush along with your mind, coaxing it into a plot of dirt with more space before placing your hand on the earth beside it. Closing your eyes, you hold yourself still, willing the wilty bush to bloom.
Observer

Change author:
& so it goes
“Mmmm.” You say under your breath, eyeing the dragonling’s blast of electricity with equal parts indifference and academic curiosity. However at the news that Frey provided the dragon for protection, you pay your pen-scraping across the page and look up. “The herald provided you a dragon for protection?” You wonder. A protector called Pim? Your face is an unreadable mask—other than to Kai of course—but quickly you record all of this.

That Safrin had fallen ill because of the blight is interesting to you of course, but not surprising. Especially if the Voice was concerned, that a lesser deity would grow ill should have been expected. “Anytime a previous contained ecosystem is allowed to suddenly affect the larger world, there are sure to be sicknesses and mutations as a new form of satis is reached.”

“Midwifery?” You repeat, suddenly looking unhappy (which is just to say, the corners of your lips twitch down ever so slightly). “Are the females here have difficulty with procreation or conception? What makes your intervention necessary?” This is probably one of the most alarming things you’ve learned thus far. If there is something wrong with the ecosystem, that is what the herald should have been focusing on. Not making their friends happy or safe.

As Phoebe rushes over, you raise a brow slightly as you chew on the plant. Having your mouth go numb is precisely the point, as evidence by the fact that you’ve eaten it.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
"Well, I don't know for certain. I've never asked. But those I know who have met Frey either fear them or haven't met them often enough to really be considered a friend." she said with a slight shrug. Hence why she said as far as she knew, because there was always the possibility she was wrong, and the Hollowed Grounds weren't the only place in Caido. But the further questioning made her falter, and her expression fell. "Ah, well I...I miscarried about a year ago. Frey took me away to where they reside to comfort me for a time." she said softly, focusing on the plants as if it might keep her emotions at bay. Even after time had passed, it was difficult to discuss.

Fortunately Oia piped up about less emotional subjects, and she latched onto it. "Yes. That's what it seemed I needed after I looked into it more at Frey's behest." she said with a nod, and continued to nod as went on about it the blight. "I thought it was such a case at first too. But it moved far more quickly than any other sort of disease, and affected both the Hollowed Ground people and the Greatwood. Frey even confirmed it was not something caused by any natural means, nor a disease spread by the sidden change in the physical space." she explained.

The question about her profession was surprising but not unwelcome. "Sometimes there are complications, but that is true of any female, not just those here. More often than not there is no such issue, but I am there to look for signs of trouble and correct as necessary, if necessary. I spend much more of my time simply assuring new mothers that things are fine and tending to general health than I do intervening in the birth process."

But before she could say much about Oia's apparent intent to make her mouth go numb, Kai somehow was making the wilty bush move without touching it. Honeyed eyes widened, watching in awe as it moved and slowly began to perk up.
Scientist

Change author:
wisdom begins in wonder
You half-listen as they continue to discuss Frey and the Blight and pregnancy, far more interested in the plants than the conversation and thoroughly thrilled to be, for the moment, left to your own devices. With the andrographis re-positioned and looking much happier with itself you settle into your meditation, closing your eyes, palms on the ground, your breathing deep and body still.

The andrographis is not the only thing to respond. All around you the plants seem to react to your presence- including, unfortunately, the weeds. Mushrooms pop up merrily between your fingers and sprigs of grass sprout from your hair as new buds begin to pepper the nearby medicinal bushes, as though spring has come through with a gale-force of brand new life, threatening to leave the garden wild and willful and overgrown.
Observer

Change author:
& so it goes
You take notes as the midwife speaks, scratching at the paper with a practised swiftness. Though much of what she says strikes you as uninteresting, you never know what might be useful and necessarily information to have for later. And have it you will, because unlike some human-animals, you do indeed keep your notes with you.

“Why does Frey not intervene? Have they given you special tools to work in their place?” After all, maintaining homeostasis and the reproductive health of the Grounds was the herald’s purpose as far as you are aware. Though they seem to have diverted from that task somewhat—perhaps moreso now that the barrier is raised, which only makes sense—you wonder what they have done to equip this light-haired female to work in their place.

Tongue entirely numb now with the feeling spreading to your lips, you plop down at Kai’s side, watching how his changes are already affected things. You quickly begin to write and record before the numbness spreads farther.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
"Why would they intervene? Complications in pregnancy and delivery are natural." she said with a sligh shrug. Frey did not seem to concern themselves with the matters of death, and focused more on the creation of new life. Whether it successfully bloomed or not? Well...that was up to Mort to decide she supposed. "They have given me a honeysuckle crown, which converts the pain of labor to pleasure. That can help with warding off exhaustion and heart failures. But even then, it is my years of training and experience that allow me to do my job well, not Frey's intervention." That was why she had been given the crown. She knew how to use it to achieve the optimal results.

And though Kaimana's efforts were causing weeds to sprout, she was utterly amazed. "Is...is that a form of earth magic you're using, Kai?" she asked.
Scientist

Change author:
wisdom begins in wonder
"Managin' reproductive rates is important in a closed ecosystem like this was!" The contribution is surprising, coming from where you've sat in silence up until now. You don't look up as Oia comes to sit beside you, though she will likely recognize the way your head tilts and your brow quirks in confusion at the mention of pleasure in labor. That seems... odd, but okay. And the way she shakes off the idea that Frey is helping is even odder, given her earlier declarations of friendship. And what did the women here do before the Outlander came? Have the birth rates improved dramatically, and is the ecosystem now in danger of falling out of balance because of it?

You are sure Oia will ask many of those questions better than you ever could.

Honey brown eyes open in a flutter of dark lashes at Phoebe's question, your head tilting back to look up at the woman. "Not exactly," you reply with a shrug. "It's part'a me, not somethin' I do. Plants an' stuff seem to like growin' around me. An' I can make 'em move. An' react more to stimulus." You say it as though it were the simplest thing. You know. Moving, sentient plants. Normal demigod stuff.