an investigation on ruins
Scientist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
kaimana
how beautiful the leaves grow old

"If most people don' like bein' called caterpillars an' you don' like bein' called a caterpillar, that makes you seem less like oneuvakind." It isn't that you're particularly angry or obstinate - indeed you match his grin with a vibrant one of her own - just that he's making some logical fallacies and while you can accept those far more easily than your sister, it's hard to let it go when he won't. Especially when he's dragged caterpillars and their many virtues into it doubt.

His reaction to the questions about his Ascended nature is somewhat unexpected but not unfair. Glancing at Oia you shrug good-naturedly, plopping yourself down easily on a piece of nearby rubble and looking up at the Ascended Looker. "We're Oia'i'o an' Kaimana. We wanna get knowledge. An' you should answer 'em 'cus we asked."

Yup. That seems perfectly reasonable to you.

how full of light and color are their last days
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 4 - Int:
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
& so it goes
Kai pulls at the thread you were just about to, leaving you nodding emphatically at his side. By definition the ascended were not unique, given they were created along the same template—issues of caterpillars and the appropriateness of their comparisons in conversations aside—Amun seems almost like everyone else. The same layout of physical features, the same unwillingness to answer questions.

You appreciate your twin taking the lead in answering Amun's questions, especially because he is likely to get farther with this strange man than you are. Pointedly you hold up your notebook to indicate that now that you've answered his questions, it's his turn to answer yours.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
amun
Smirking, Amun shook his head. ”I can have things in common with other people and still be one of a kind.” He jerked his head at Oia’i’o. ”You both ask lots of questions about the world, and about me, but that don’t make you the same person, now, does it chatty?” The Ascended winked at Kaimana.

As the other man responded and the woman raised her notebook, the potter’s eyebrow quirked up. Crossing his arms, he grinned a bit mischievously. "And what do I get out of it?" Walking over to another piece of rubble, he settled down on it languidly. He sat there, grinning at the other two.
Thrill me, chill me, fulfill me

Coding base by Sky!
Scientist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
kaimana

"We're not the same person, but we share the majority of our genetic material, so it makes sense we'd have common mannerisms an' be similar." You have no issue with being compared to your sister. You also have no issue being compared to most people- the majority of people are, indeed, quite similar, both in terms of their biological makeup and their behavioral tendencies.

The Ascended is very disagreeable about answering questions, as it turns out. Indeed, he seems more interested in asking them, which usually you don't mind so much, but he's not really giving you much in return and you find yourself growing slightly disquieted by it all. What do I get out of it? It reminds you of your conversation with Jigano, and you find your expression growing slightly less sunny (which, let's be fair, is not saying much). "Whaddya want out of it? If there's somethin' y'need in exchange y'shoulda made that clear from the beginnin'."

Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Change author:
& so it goes
"By that reasoning we are all one of a kind based simply on the fact that each of us inhabits a unique physical space in the world." You say with a nod, not necessarily agreeing nor disagreeing. "Do you consider yourself unique in any interesting ways?" You ask, though are fairly sure the answer is no.

Together with Kai you have a number of mushrooms and seeds between the two of you, but nothing of value as determined by the Grounds. Apparently rocks with interesting properties, leaves that are perfectly symmetrical, and composite samples of dirt are not worthy of trade. If nothing else though, you're interesting to know what the man's answer will be. "Do you make a habit of demanding payment for conversation?"
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
amun
Amun raised his eyebrows at Kai. ”I have no idea what any of that means.”
Letting out a chuckle, the sound dark and low, the Ascended turned to Oia’i’o and winked. ”I sure do, scribbler.” Spreading his arms, he gestured to himself.

His eyes flicked between the two of them, before the potter’s gaze finally settled on the woman. ”I’m in the habit of getting something from my conversations, yes.” Smiling his most brilliant and charming smile, he turned to Kai. ”If you can tell me what you know about Halo, if anything, and if you’ve seen clay deposits anywhere in the Hollowed Grounds, then I’ll answer your questions, chatty.” Amun's voice came out completely reasonably.

Coding base by Sky!
Scientist

Change author:
kaimana

"But we answered your questions," you point out automatically, your brows furrowed further as confusion sweeps through you. You don't like this process that people here seem so invested in, the bartering and exchange for information, as though knowledge could have a price. It isn't as though you have anything against providing information - far from it, in fact - but when it's used as a bargaining chip you quickly grow confused, rare irritation eating at your thoughts.

"What if the things we know about Halo aren't the right things you wanna know? An' what if the value of it isn' enough? Or it's too much? What if we agree to an exchange an' then you decide you still don't wanna answer our questions? Or, or-" you can feel yourself spiraling and so you cut off, glancing helplessly at Oia as your thoughts continue to unwind.

Observer

Change author:
& so it goes
"I should acquire magic that allows for knowledge extraction." You say to Kai, half acting as if Amun isn't there at all. Some might take this as a threat, but really, it's an honest suggestion. Things would go much easier for you two and your work if this is how the Grounders were going to be.

As Kai turns to you, whatever incredibly dormant, buried, and nearly non-existent feelings of protectiveness you have for your twin stir a minuscule amount. "Halo is cold." You reply, truthfully but perfunctorily. "And yes." Yes you have seen clay deposits.

Holding up your notebook you raise your eyes. "Your turn."
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
amun
An easy smile remained on the Ascended face. ”If you tell me what you know, I promise to answer your questions, chatty.” Amun placed his hand on his heart and waggled his eyebrows. His eyes flicked to Oia’i’o and his smile blossomed to a full-blown grin, and mischief sparkled in his eyes. ”That would be a useful trick, scribbler. Let me know if you figure out how.” Winking at her, he slipped his hands into his pockets.

”Other than cold, what dangers are there in Halo?” He tilted his head. ”Where are there clay deposits in the Hollowed Grounds.” Grinning at her words, the potter nodded in agreement. Then he whistled a tune as he cast his mind back to earlier in their conversation. Finally, his gaze settled on the other man. ”I burst into flames, I receive and give a pleasurable feeling and acquire one use of any abilities of the one I drank from possessed, and I don’t need to eat food, nor do I taste anything if I do.”

Amun winked at Kai before the Ascended turned to Oia’i’o. ”I arrived in this world as an Ascended, and lost my old form when I did, so it wasn’t the most pleasant experience.” For a moment his easy manner faltered, but the grin slipped back into place soon enough. ”I don’t have any upgrades.” Pausing, he scanned himself, then shook his head. ”Well, I have one upgrade that allows me to remain undetected by the monsters of LongNight.”

Whistling again as he tried to remember the rest of what they asked, the potter rolled his neck. ”It feels like breathing.” He took a deep breath in and let it out with a huff. ”I can’t feel physical pain or pleasure, unless I bite someone, but I can still feel. My hearing is as good as it ever was, as is my sense of smell, and I can see in the dark.” Chuckling, Amun gave her a wicked grin. ”Nobody hates me personally.” The grin turned into a smug smirk.

Coding base by Sky!
Scientist

Change author:
kaimana

You listen in silence as the Ascended tells you about himself, finally, finally answering your questions, though not before asking more of his own (which you do not answer, uncharacteristically quiet in your sulky unhappiness). You manage to collect your thoughts enough to take mental notes, at least, committing everything he says to memory for review at a later, less irritating time.

Only one pressing question rises to your mind, perhaps the least important one but you're still a little frazzled. "If y'can smell, can you taste?" you ask almost tonelessly, perking up just a little as you wonder whether the connection between those senses has, indeed, been severed.

Observer

Change author:
& so it goes
“Dragons. Ursur. Humans. Wolves. Ice Genies. Most things in Halo aim to kill.” You reply, and then add: “Beneath the ground.”

Pausing to listen to what Amun has to say, you nod. It is mostly what has been described in what little literature there is on the subject. Still, you give Kai a terse sort of stare. “I do not trust this testimony.” You say, your unhappiness indicated in the small ways that likely only he will recognize: the slight tightness in your throat, the way you blink faster than normal, how your lungs aren’t expanding fully.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
amun
Amun shrugged, giving Kai a bored look. "Dunno, chatty. I haven't tried to eat anything since coming to Caido. Didn't seem worth it, you know?" As Oia'i'o listed off quite a few nasty sounding critters, the Ascended glanced over at her. "What the fuck are Ursurs and Ice Genies?" Then, he winked at her. "And where under the ground in the Hollowed Grounds can I find clay?"

As she turned to speak to the other man as if the potter wasn't there, though, he pouted. Placing a hand over his heart, he staggered a few steps, an over the top hurt expression on his face. "You wound me, scribbler. What have I done that is untrustworthy?" He waggled his eyebrows at her.

Coding base by Sky!
Scientist

Change author:
kaimana

Ok but seriously, why does he keep winking? And waggling his caterpillar eyebrows? Is there something in his eyes? Does his face itch, or hurt? Is he trying to communicate with unclear body languages in a way you just cannot understand?

What you can understand is Oia's body language, which clearly translates an unhappiness with this whole stupid affair. And honestly, you're with her. Glancing from your twin to the man just in time to see his eyebrows go marching (again), you tighten your mouth into something like a frown. "I don't either," you agree, blinking at the weird, unpleasant man. "I think this conversation can be over now. Good-bye!"

Then you turn your attention away from him, the social interaction complete as far as you, at least, are concerned.

Observer

Change author:
& so it goes
"Is there something wrong with your eye?" You ask Amun pointedly. You vaguely understand what the purpose of a wink is, but the continued use of it has you baffled, especially since to the best of your recollection, you've not been responding to it at all. This leads you to believe that perhaps there is something in the potter's eye. It's rather dusty out here after all.

"The first is a species, the latter a lower class of divine spirit." Next question. " Primarily beneath the ground near the Oasis, but based on the geography, there are likely deposits near where the outskirts meet the woodlands."

Over the top expressions are actually easier for you to understand, though in this particular instance you're still confused. "Repetitive winking and facial movements often indicate a lack of sincerity or genuineness. This is compounded by your lack of willingness to speak freely and your answers are coloured by bias." As Kai agrees with you, you feel something like a weight lift (your anxiety abating if only slightly), and you turn away from the potter clutching at the pages of your book and willing him silently to simply vanish.