Call and Response
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87

PETER
Peter gasped softly as the girl in front of him vanished from view, his brows furrowing together in worry. He stepped forwards without thinking, the cold biting into him again without warning. A violent shiver runs through him, stopping him still again.

”Wi-Wi-Within..?” He asks to the emptiness, teeth chattering. ”Why?” And then, more concerned. ”D-Do you... want t-t-to?” He looks around again, in case she’s simply moved, despite the fact that her voice is still coming from the same place.

Distance, distance keeps you safe
And I don't wanna scare you away
You're laughing cause it's funny
How you're fooling everybody but me
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 4 - Int:
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
OIA'I'O
the longer i live
He's quite close to you now, not that he can see that he is. You don't particularly mind; touch is not something you appreciate or understand, but for the most part you don't have much of a personal bubble around you.

"It was the task given to me by Rae. What I want is not important." Though, since he's asking, you nod. "Yes. I enjoy observing." Much as you enjoy anything at all, that is.

Now it is your turn to ask a question. "Why have you come down here so unprepared?"
the longer it feels

Coding base by Sky!

Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

PETER
Peter frowns into the nothingness, biting his lip in an attempt to keep his teeth from chattering out loud (and immediately releasing his lip, afraid he’s going to bite a hole through it). ”S-so you d-d-don’t wanna d-do any... anything else?” It seems strange, even when he had tasks assigned to him, there were other things he’d wanted.

Her question back gives him pause though, mostly because he hadn’t actually been sure she could ask questions of her own volition. Everything else so far had been in response to something he’d said. ”I d-didn’t know I... I’d be d-down here. Not for... not for s-so long.”

Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Change author:
OIA'I'O
the longer i live
"Want? What does wanting have to do with it?" In some ways you're one of the most selfless people that you know, given how very little you care about your own motivations or ambitions (of which you think you probably have nearly none).

"Why are you still?" You ask, dropping the illusory veil hiding you from sight, revealing yourself to still be sitting where you were, just a step or two away from Peter.
the longer it feels

Coding base by Sky!

Peter Pikely

Change author:

PETER
What doesn't wanting have to do with it? Peter's head tilts the other direction, his lips pursed and his brows pinched in clear worry. "If... if n-no one ever t-t-told you what t'do, then... then what would you... would you d-do?" Not having wants seems like it should be alien, and repulsive for it, but to Peter, it is repulsive because of its familiarity.

She reappeared without warning, and for the first time, Peter was actually glad for the mud, which held him still enough that he couldn't stumble back, and fall. "I'm um... it's n-nice, and... and this is... this is where the water comes." Another thought comes to him, the more polite answer. "And I... we're t-talking."

Observer

Change author:
OIA'I'O
the longer i live
You blink up at the man, your eyes bright with consideration. It’s an interesting question and not one you’ve ever really considered before. You’ve always had a task, after all. And you think that even if you didn’t, Kai would find any number of things for you to do. “I would...do experiments. Or, more of them. About more things I am interested in.” You say finally. Doing experiments is what you’ve always done, but there are avenues you’ve not been able to follow because of competing priorities.

‘Yes. I believe the water runs under the grounds. The water table here is quite high. If it wasn’t, I think a drought would have killed everything within long ago.” As he mentions the fact that you’re conversing, you shrug mildly. “We could stop.” You point out.
the longer it feels

Coding base by Sky!

Peter Pikely

Change author:

PETER
”Experiments?” Peter repeats, looking at her, then taking a careful step back. Then another, just to be safe. There is something hard in his face that wasn’t there before, a strain in his voice. ”What... k-kinds of... experiments? And.... and interests?” It’s almost like theres something accusatory in his tone now, though it’s not enough for him to pull away completely.

The phrase ‘water table’ is foreign to Peter, a fact that leaves him a little lost through the rest of her statement, so he simply nods, slowly, stiffly. The idea that they could stop talking seems like it hadn’t occurred to him before that moment, and Peter pauses, visibly thinking about it. He was cold, and damp, and didn’t trust this strange girl, but, at the same time, she was interesting, and easy to talk to. ”D-Do you want to stop?” He asked, putting the choice back in her hands.

Observer

Change author:
OIA'I'O
the longer i live
Because of how your brain processes information (and without Kai around to remind you to try and identify tone and expressions), you don't notice how your interlocutor seems to grow wary. "Experiments about nature. When things evolve and mutate and when they die out. I am especially interested in questions of morality and knowledge."

Again he asks about what you want and you're left merely blinking up at him. "I have no preference." You reply with your particular brand of honestly which most take to be quite cold.
the longer it feels

Coding base by Sky!

Peter Pikely

Change author:

PETER
Her answer, whether she knows it or not, actually does a lot to put Peter back at ease, though he doesn't move in closer again. What she does doesn't sound like what he's familiar with. "What about... mo-morality? And... and knowledge?" Her explanation had only kind of been that, and had only brought about more questions.

She had no preference, and he had no preference, so the conversation would continue. Peter nodded, then looked down. "D-Did you um... make it so I wasn't... s-s-so I di-didn't feel the cold? Before?"

Observer

Change author:
OIA'I'O
the longer i live
"Whether or not morality is part of the furniture of the universe or simply a construct. Where the lines of it break down and under what circumstances is that justified, if any. As for knowledge?" Now you do smile, only a fraction, but for you it is quite a bit. You certainly have a soft spot (intellectually speaking) for it. "Under what conditions we might be said to know things, when we can ask on the basis of that knowledge, and how easy it is to take away."

Your eyes follow his towards his feet, and you nod. "I can freeze time around localized areas. If time isn't moving there is nothing through which your receptors can send indications of your body temperature to your brain. Thus, you do not register that you're cold."
the longer it feels

Coding base by Sky!

Peter Pikely

Change author:

PETER
"So... if people choose t-to... to be moral, or... if they just are?" Peter wasn't sure he's following what shes saying, but it sounds interesting. Far reaching, and dizzying, and it gives him the same feeling as looking at the sky at night. But the bit about knowledge made him frown deeper. "You can't... you can't take it away? Um, knowledge, I mean."

Another shiver runs through Peter, and he wonders if not registering the cold means he's still cold. Would that be bad? He's never really had to deal with worries of being too cold before. "C-Can you... will you d-do it again? P-P-Please?"

Observer

Change author:
OIA'I'O
the longer i live
"No." You say, but you're more than happy to rephrase. "I don't care about whether people are or aren't necessarily, but where it is morality is. Is it just something we all agree on? Collectively we've said it is bad to kill, for instance, and good to like things that are soft and cute? Or...is it actually part of the world. Something you could stumble on, the way you might stumble on a log."

What he says next makes you smile, albeit in your own fairly vague way. "You absolutely can. Even if something is true you can lose knowledge of it, if you lose your justification."

You appreciate instantly that he phrases his requests as actual requests, and you nod. "Freeze." In so saying the ground around Peter halts in time and thus does its ability to affect the man's body.
the longer it feels

Coding base by Sky!

Peter Pikely

Change author:

PETER
"I... it's not... or, I don't think it's um... it's so-something everyone agrees on. It..." Peter pauses, and tries to think about how to explain himself, his idea of how morality works. "It changes. And... and for people it... it uh, d-depends? You... I learned from other... from other people. And then... that was uh... it was wrong. So I... learned more. It... changes."

Peter's head tilts again, clearly not understanding. "Justification... for knowledge? Like... Like forgetting?" Or maybe, like changing, like he was saying about morality.

Relief flows up his legs as the cold stops digging into them, and he shifts, changing his position, getting more comfortable now that he wasn't afraid of driving more chill into his body. "Thank you."

Observer

Change author:
OIA'I'O
the longer i live
"What about when there's disagreement?" You ask, your smile widening. It makes you look almost human. Normal. Pretty, in a way that you don't seem to wear very well. "What happens when I learn one thing, and you learn another? How do we know who is right? What if you want to punish me for something that I was told was good, but that you were told was bad? Can you? Should you?"

You nod your head in confirmation to his first question. "Yes. Justification for knowledge. If you know something and someone asks how you know, you should be able to provide an answer. When you can't do that, or when your answer is challenged or called into question, you can lose the knowledge."
the longer it feels

Coding base by Sky!