a place to rest
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
HARPER
Harper squints plainly at Phoebe, eyes dragging up and down her entire body in slow consideration of her huffed comment. "Hmm...yeah, I'm not buying it. You can't be more than twenty, dear." Which to Harper is as good as being a toddler. At 18 he had a kill count, had escaped assassin conditioning, and had become a vigilante. So maybe he didn't have a leg to stand on, but even Oliver seems like a child to him. Good Lord is he really twenty-five? Yikes.

"You're welcome. I'd be happy to start as soon as you want. As soon as my shoulder meets your strict standards of course," he teases, winking at her to try and get the upper hand again after she'd taken him so by surprise. He patiently allows her to help him into the sling, even as he internally cries over the continued treatment. It's not exactly appropriate to tell her he's had to push his own guts back inside his body and keep moving though. Not exactly polite dinner conversation.

"A midwifery? How many patients do you normally get? This is a much smaller place than I'm used to i admit." He supposed the prevalence of magic makes up for the technological downgrade, but he wonders exactly what the population looks like.
some things take insane bravery
but after that, you'll be free
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
"I'm nineteen." she said, tilting her head to the side with a small smile. But the rest of her expression looked a bit tired, as if she had heard this argument too many times before. "In my home world though, sixteen was the age of adulthood. But regardless, I'd hope you'd consider my experiences more than the number of years I've seen." she said softly. Phoebe had gone through much more than the average 19 year old after all. Her age wasn't necessarily indicative of her maturity.

Her hands were gentle but sure as she tied the sling in place. Not too tight, just enough to give his shoulder a bit of a rest. "You'll be back in tip top fighting shape in a day or so without having to worry about this popping back out." she said with a little smile. Clearly the teasing didn't affect her too much - she had already seen him stumble so it made it much easier to keep her cool.

"Even in a small place people will always need a midwife." she said with a grin. So long as there were women really, her expertise was needed. "I've had quite a few patients. A couple repeats even, and a few regulars for general medical care." she said with a little shrug. "But I would say there are a couple thousand living here."
When the static clears
And all is said and done
I will realize that we all need someone
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
Harper holds up his hands - or rather, his one good hand and the fingers of his other - in capitulation to the insult he has apparently given her. An apologetic expression crosses his face. "Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I'm twenty-five, and even nineteen seems so young. Experience aside, because I certainly felt the same at nineteen, in my world it's barely considered an adult." Nineteen was a year out of highschool depending on your birthday. Nineteen was...well, young no matter how he looked at it. He can't speak to how much she has seen or experienced in those nineteen years, but the six between them had been full of plenty of maturation for himself. "I had seen and done far too many terrible things at nineteen. Six years was still a long time to experience more." He still doesn't mean to offend, drawn more into his own thoughts than anything else. Remembering that year of his life.

"Two days is an awful long time, I'm gonna get stir crazy. You'll have to deal with my antics, doc," he admits with a boyish grin, happy to focus on lighter topics after the faux pas he'd committed. But he files away the information she provides, humming softly and nodding along as she speaks. "It's definitely an impressive, painful process. I'm sure they're lucky to have you help them through it." Harper can't imagine the trials of pregnancy, much less birth. He deeply respects women that go through with it, but would certainly not involve himself in midwifery. Too much screaming, in his opinion.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe smiled a little and shook her head. ”Oh I’m not offended. A bit…tired.”{/sat} she said with a bit of a shrug. ”It is hard for me, coming from a place where I was a verifiable adult to suddenly being treated as though I am a child again.” she said thoughtfully, finishing tying the sling in place, stepping back so he could stand up. ”I would just prefer if I was treated by how I act, rather than my youth by years. It’s such a convenient excuse to dismiss someone you know – Oh, well you’re young.” she said laughing a bit. ”We could debate all day what that means and if it has value or not, but at the end of the day, you’re the 25 year old who came in here with a dislocated shoulder and asked a 19 year old to fix it.” she added teasingly.

Her head tilted slightly at his comment about all he had seen and done, considering him quietly. ”I’m sorry you had to experience awful things. But I am glad it hasn’t made you a cold person. You’re…refreshing.” she said with a warm smile.

”Oh, I am sure my three nephews will keep you plenty busy to keep the stir crazy at bay.” Phoebe said with a laugh, gathering her things so she could lead him back to her home and clinic. ”Well, thank you. Though, really they are lucky that Frey has gifted me a magic crown to take away a lot of the pain.” she said with a slight grin.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper hums softly, sympathetic even if he can't quite bring himself to agree directly. "I understand that can be hard," he concedes. Stands when her hands finish putting the sling in place, and stands gratefully. His ass was going a little numb sitting there. "It can be a convenient excuse if someone uses it as such, absolutely. But I have to say I agree that years alone can bring maturity and experience. It's an imperfect system of judging someone though, even if it's useful as a baseline." He's unbothered by their differing opinions, smiles warmly at her to portray this. So long as they could remain civil in their disputes, he's happy to listen to her side of things as well as portray his own. "It's why we use age as a base for things like when someone can be wed, or drink alcohol in my world." If her sisters were married at sixteen, it implies they had a similar age rule in place, even if it was younger than most.

Her teasing makes him roll his eyes playfully. "Keep up your sass and you won't get me in your door even if I'm bleeding out," he teases back. They really could talk all day about the veracity of her argument, but even her teasing holds no weight. He could have repaired it himself, as he has many times, but he does appreciate her assistance. Even getting to know her is a bonus to their introduction.

Her quiet consideration lowers his shroud of warmth and kindness, revealing a weary soul, one burdened with great pains and loss. But his smile, though weak, is sincere as she compliments him. "Thank you. I'd rather aim to make the best of every day I've been given, try to keep others from experiencing what I had to. I'm glad you find it refreshing, though everyone here has been much kinder than back home for me." And she considers him refreshing? This entire land is refreshing to him.

Harper trails after her, shortening his stride a little to keep pace. "I look forward to it!" He adores children, has saved many of them in his career, and their joy and resilience never fails to inspire him. "Oh wow, that really must be a huge difference. Frey is one of the gods, right? Oliver told me about them." He's rather positive, and perhaps it's a little manipulative to play the fool, but Harper is still a vigilante at heart. He needs more information, and she has already dropped the god's name twice. Perhaps she knows more about Frey than Oliver.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"I suppose that is true." she conceded. To a point anyways. She would've made a point about those who were wise beyond their years but decided to keep it to herself. He didn't seem to be trying to belittle her, so there was no point continuing to defend something that wasn't being attacked. Of course, at his comment about bleeding out she laughed. "That's fine. I can sew you up just as well on the ground when you pass out." she said, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

Phoebe recognized a weary soul when she saw one, because she knew what that felt like. Her smile was small, a bit melacholy and empathetic. "I'm the same way. Why be unkind when life produces enough of that on its own? I'd much rather make the effort to make people's lives better." she said.

Fortunately, Harper wouldn't have to shorten his stride much since Phoebe was quite tall in her own right. "I do too. Maybe you can wear them out for me." Phoebe said with a laugh as she began leading him back to the clinic. At the mention of Frey and Oliver, she sighed and shook her head. "That boy is going to get himself hexed by the gods one of these days." she said, glancing up at him. "Frey is my friend, and yes, they are the herald of Rae, the god of nature." she said with a small smile.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper nods quietly to her concession, not interested in arguing any further - though hes not inclined to call it an argument with how mild it has been - when there's so many better uses of both of their time. Though he gives her a roguish grin at her flippant comment. "Without patient consent? I'll have to report you for that." Though there's likely no board to report her to even if he was serious. It's definitely a big change. This place is advanced in so many magical, ethereal ways. And yet so behind in others. Harper isn't quite sure how he feels about it, how he fits in the grand scheme of all this.

It's a question for later, though his weariness is already spotted. Harper hums softly in his throat, disconnecting their gazes, considering each word. "Exactly. It's hard for me to let myself stop and experience other emotions for the sake of being well-rounded psychologically. After all I've been through, I'd rather just be happy." At first it had led to him ignoring the darker emotions, bottling them up until they exploded. But he had been young, and age has helped him learn how to find a good balance over time.

"Well i was a circus acrobat since I was born, if I can't entertain children I'd be out of a job!" His grin is back to being bright, reveling in the memories that streak colorfully over his minds eyes in watercolor shades of joy. He'd been the same age as many of the guests, but had enjoyed showing them tricks, introducing them to the elephants who were like family to him. A few young boys wouldn't be the first tough crowd Harper had experienced.

A frown pulls at his lips at the mention of Oliver and being hexed. "Where I come from, Gods are benevolent, loving of the willfulness and flaws, since they created them that way. Hexes seem quite unfair." Perhaps it's because he's so fond of Oliver, or his own lack of religion in his life, but he can't help that it rubs him wrong. "That's quite a mouthful though, I'll have to keep it in mind." Heralds can't be that much different from like saints or whatever right? Man he never thought he'd regret not going to church.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"How am I supposed to get your consent if you're passed out, hm? Just supposed to let you die?" she said teasingly, a small smirk on her lips. "Besides, I'm the Dean of the Medical College. You'd be reporting me to me, and I don't think I will get myself in trouble." she said, flipping her hair with a light laugh.

She tilted her head slightly, shrugging a bit. "Well that is just as unhealthy as being upset all the time." she said with a playful smile at him. "But I understand what you mean." Happiness was light a breathe of fresh air after weeks and months and years of sorrow. To wish to only be happy was a natural desire with that in mind. Of all the things to wish for, to be happy seemed one of the better things one could hope for. That he had been an acrobat was a surprise, but one that had her grinning. "Really?! I always loved the acrobats when the circus came through our village. I always wanted to learn how to do the flips and tricks but my mother and father wouldn't have it." she said with a light laugh. A childish dream that had never come to fruition, but it had been a fleeting wish that only came up once or twice a year anyways.

"There were no gods in the world I came from." Phoebe said softly, shrugging a little. "Frey appreciates human flaws for what they are, but they don't take kindly to rudeness or having their time wasted...and Oliver sometimes struggles to tell when he has crossed that line in my experience." she said, but gave Harper a reassuring smile. "But Frey likes seeing people grow. I wouldn't think they'd do anything that wouldn't ultimately help Oliver in some way in the long run." she assured. Even the curse they had placed on Remi had had its benefits. It had put distance between him and a man who did not value him, allowing his heart to grow in other ways and ultimately lead him to Ronin. At the time, was it painful? Absolutely. But in the end? Well...Remi and Ronin were a perfect match.

At Harper's observation of Frey's title though, Phoebe blushed and giggles, unable to stop her mind from wandering down the path that Frey's would. "A mouthful you say? Frey would be flattered." she said, still giggling, but raising her brows at Harper. There he went, stumbling right into another sex joke.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"Precisely my dear," he jests in turn, smirking down at her. "I'll have to tattoo 'do not resuscitate' on my chest to keep your hands off me." And then he coughs softly, cheeks a tad pink at the unintended implication there. Though he's distracted by the idea that Phoebe is the be all end all of the medical care here, and quirks a brow her way. He doesn't want to bring his own world's rules and advancements here, but that's kinda...concerning. "Don't get drunk on your power or I'll have to start a rebellion," he teases instead. It's a concern that doesn't need to be brought up now, if ever. Some things he'll just have to get used to here.

He shrugs his unburdened shoulder, a wry smile on his lips. "It gets better with time and self-reflection." He is certainly in a far better and more well-rounded place now than a few years ago. When he had been young and full of hurt, fueled by his trauma and the desire to make a difference. If she had seen him then, she wouldn't recognize him, even knowing him so briefly.

Blue eyes widen and turn to her in shared excitement. Nobody had understood exactly what circus life meant, and hearing that she has seen the performers, experienced such a dazzling night, is like coming home to memories someone else finally shares. "That was me!" he assures, joy suffusing every syllable. "I was tumbling and flipping before I could properly walk, I can see why your parents would be nervous to have you start later. But maybe I can teach you a few tricks someday? Satisfy your younger self." His smile is bright and eager, praying she says yes. Oliver's suggestions of training with Deimos had spoken to the part of him that had trained young heroes and vigilantes for years. But this? It means so much more to be able to share this part of his life with someone, with anyone.

It's comforting to know that it's not so bad as it had appeared, and the stiffness of his spine relaxes. Though he worries for Oliver - hadn't seen personally any crossing of lines or rudeness - he hopes that Phoebe is correct. He can't help his slight pessimism. Both because he's not a man of faith, and because he has seen far too much pain and cruelty from regular humans. Gods only seem like a step above that to him. Harper is pulled from his thoughts by her teasing, and he gives a sharp, flustered laugh. "I'm really just doing this to myself aren't I?" For a flirt he's not very good at having the tables turned, too used to riding on his own unintentionally endearing sincerity.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Oh don't worry. I have a high tolerance." she said with a light laugh at the idea that she would get drunk on power. Hardly. All jokes aside, Phoebe recognized she had as much to learn as anyone when it came to medicine. She wouldn't be giving harsh verdicts about anything any time soon.

But the topic turns to happier, more exciting things, and she grinned up at him. "Oh I would love to learn! I used to be able to walk on my hands but it's been a very long time since I've tried." she admitted with a light laugh. "I don't know if it was about me starting late as much as it was about being over protective." she said with a slight shrug. Her family had been very traditional, and no one had ever been in a circus. For their youngest, quietest daughter to join a travelling troupe had probably left her parents in a fit of worry - so she couldn't really blame them. Besides, she was happy with her life...though she was excited at the idea of being able to learn to do some of the tricks now.

Phoebe laughed a little and nodded as he became flustered. It was quite refreshing to be doing the flustering for once, and part of her thought Frey would be quite proud of this new development, however small it was. But before she could say anything, three boys came charging at her. No more than 6, all three were very nearly identical, save for one being a little chubbier than his brothers and another sporting glasses. The blonde haired blue-eyed boys looked all the world as though they could have been Phoebe's own children, rather than her nephews. "Are you done workin' now?" Cormac asked as he nearly tackled his aunt, Cormac being neither the chubby nor glasses wearing brother. "Can we make cookies now??" Jax, the chubby one, asked, nearly bouncing in place. Then finally, the one with the glasses paused and looked up at Harper, roughly shoving his round spectacles up his nose. "Who is that?" Rhett asked.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"You certainly must to be dealing with me," he jests, aware of his own aggravating tendencies that every unfortunate human possesses in some way. His just usually happen to be louder. More dramatic. It makes it much easier to take her joy in stride, to recall those days of limber feats and glowing spotlights. "Kids certainly bounce back much faster, so I'm sure it was a little of both." Chuckling, the man follows as she guides him away from the Infirmary, wishing he could simply show her. Harper has never been a particularly easy patient, which means Phoebe is quite lucky to have convinced him to stay with her as she'll likely need to keep a sharp eye on him. "As soon as I get flying colors on my shoulder I'll teach you the basics." A promise, and one he intends to keep, just as the one he'd vowed to Oliver. Sharing his childhood, the heart of who he is, is something he'll never gatekeep from an eager student.

And speaking of eager...

Phoebe is bombarded by children within moments, and Harper smiles warmly down upon them as their chattering voices rise in a cacophonous swell. Only one question directly targets him, and it's the one he answers, bowing dramatically towards the child. "Harper Quinn, at your service. And you are?" Here his azure gaze slides over all three, intent on committing their names and faces to memory.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe laughed and shook her head a bit. ”You say that like you’re a lot to deal with.” she said. He seemed nice and fun to her. It was refreshing really, having someone be playful rather than doom and gloomy or far too serious. ”You’re probably right. Still spoil sports, the both of them.” she said jokingly of her parents, as any child would at having their fun dampened by their parents looking out for their well-being. Clearly she didn’t think ill of them for it though, and it was all in good fun to joke about it. ”I look forward to it, truly.” she said with a grin, finding herself quite excited at the prospect of learning how to do a backflip.

She smiled warmly at the boys as they nearly knocked her over, hugging them close to her legs. ”I am done with work at the Temple for the day, yes.” she said to Cormac, ruffling his hair before her honeyed gaze turned to Jax. ”I think we can find some time to make cookies.” she agreed, and his eyes widened in excited anticipation. Her attention turned to Rhett then, but Harper jumped right in with introductions. ”I’m Rhett.” said the one with the glasses. ”I’m Jax! And that’s Cormac.” the chubby one said, pointing at the third boy who had spoken to Phoebe first.

”Mr. Harper will be staying with us for a little while because he is new to Caido, so I expect you boys to be on your best behavior, okay?” Phoebe said in a warm, motherly tone. ”Yes, Auntie.” the boys said in perfect unison.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"Aren't I though?" His grin is nearly childishly bright, but Harper knows that to many people who prefer stoicism, silence, or self-restraint that he is like the devil's offspring to them. She's just lucky to not be one of those people, or he'd probably have a few new broken parts to go with his messed up shoulder. "Better start working on your flexibility now then," he says brightly, already reworking his normal training routine in his mind to determine which basics would work best, especially with a lack of proper gear.

There's not much to to be stuck in his head with three adorable boys vying for attention moments later. Mostly for Phoebe, but Harper isn't offended. "Such strong names! Well, if you would accept an interloper like me, maybe I can help whip up these cookies of yours?" His guileless face is bright and open, charmed already by the boys. It helps that his sweet tooth cries joyously at the notion of sugary goodies. But as Phoebe instructs good behavior, Harper raises a hand to block the side of his mouth and winks at the boys. "Best behavior until she goes to work." Well aware she will hear it. He wouldn't dare to get them in trouble, but a little merrymaking and roughhousing would be delightful.