Public Relations
For Rexanna
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
they will shake their heads and wag their fingers
by daybreak we'll be gone
It was swiftly becoming apparent to the Ascended that they had what one might call a PR problem. With the Fae especially, though Bastien felt that might be a lost cause. Those in the Hollowed Grounds, though...he felt that a bit of image-tweaking could help there. If there was one thing Bastien was good at, it was anything to be done with images.

Of course, Rexanna was not in the best state to be judging sights right now, but that didn't mean he couldn't still ask her opinion. He had wanted to make a series of paintings, one of each God they knew of...including The Voice. The point was not to make her appear more special than any other Deity but to say she was an option as much as they were, a Goddess in her own right, something just as legitimate.

He began to paint one night, shutting the Sanctuary doors for once so it would just be him and his wife. Sometimes, that was all he wanted. With quiet music playing on the thought player and as always with Bastien, there was some wine to be had. Beginning with the painting of The Voice, he asked: "Do you think she is more of a golden colour, or a lemon yellow? Perhaps more like the sun's glow...ah, but then sometimes I feel she is blue. What colour would you use to describe our Lady Voice?"
BASTIEN
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
i'm tired of the weight of mortality, i want to tear it from my veins
until i bleed silver and gold
Now that her hands and arms work again, now that her face is fixed and ribs are back in place, she finds she can get around much easier. It’s a relief she didn’t know she needed until it had happened – and the possibility, probability of getting her eyesight back gives her as much hope as she needs to return to as close to her old self as she can. And while Bastien shutters up the doors, she lounges on one of the couches, legs dangling off the edge while she fiddles with some fabric, transmuting it slightly so it’s nice and soft, adjusting the edges that she can feel in a slight makeshift attempt at something akin to crochet in her blinded state.

And she listens while Bastien paints, enjoying the time spent with him while they both work to their tasks, until he poises a question to her that she tilts her head toward him with – a bright fanged smile crossing her lips. “Mmmm…. Blue.” She announces. “Like lightning.” Any time she had seen her goddess, she’s always appeared vibrant and blue, beautiful and strong, electrifying and unbelievable.

Her legs bounce along the side of the couch while she returns to her little fiddling, contemplating it further. “It’s… Like a warm blue, though.” She’s definitely not an artist here, not like he is and she’s uncertain how to explain her thoughts. “Like when I see the blue from her, it’s never cold. It’s a welcoming blue. What do you think, Love?” She asks, reaching an edge again and warping and crimping it slightly before she goes to hook it through again.
maybe one day they'll chant our names
and name galaxies after us, and we too shall be eternal
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Blue, Rexanna agreed, and Bastien put down his yellow paints, looking about for a blue instead, his hands hovering over the different tones. There was something about his memories of The Voice that was almost fuzzy, difficult to pin point. He was glad he had Rexanna to check things against, even happier that despite her new blindness she was finding her own creative outlet.

"Well...I am not sure. I think I will have to paint it instinctively then look once I have put down base tones and adjust." He had never been scared to put paint to canvas, at least. Starting to lay down a dark blue sketch, he began to block out The Voice's youthful features. "Next time we speak to her I must pay more attention. I doubt she will come for a sitting..."

He was about to make some joke about the timetables of Gods when a squeak came from behind the canvases on the wall, in the same spot he had first found Pittore. "Oh. I did forget to mention. Rexanna, it appears we have a new occasional resident." This time confident Bastien walked to the corner and lifted the canvases, revealing the small green gremlin. Picking him up (and the gremlin came very willingly, even seemed thrilled to be accepted) he took him over to the couch where Rexanna lay.

"He is...well. I am not sure. Some kind of pixie or goblin, perhaps. But he does not seem to mean harm and he likes to paint. I have named him Pittore, as he seems quite young...I...think he may have chosen me as a kind of father." Pittore, once placed down, wobbled over to Rexanna and began to garble in his own special language, excited about meeting a new friend.
BASTIEN
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
She can hear him fiddling with paints, and it’s enough to cause a light smile to lift on the corner of her lip as she continues to her work on some form of embroidery. His own comment back to her gives her a small amount of pause as she thinks on it, too, tongue sticking out slightly as she feels for the rows she’s created already. “You’re probably right.” She announces with some amusement. “She’s a very busy goddess.” She admits quietly, thoughtfully, but still incredibly pleased that the goddess still made time to see them, speak to them, come to weddings of all things.

At the squeak, however, she sits up slightly in a small amount of surprise, putting the fabric down along her stomach as she turns her head toward it. But Bastien doesn’t seem to be freaking out, and she relaxes just enough to focus on his words in a quiet amount of surprise. “An occasional resident?” She pauses, wondering if it’s someone like Clemente that has been taken in.

She follows the sound of his footsteps though, listening when he begins to speak and hearing the creatures babbling. A surprised laugh leaves her as she reaches out a hand, slowly, in the hopes of touching the small creature on the arm or shoulder. “Oh how cute.” She can’t see the creature, but the thought of it adopting Bastien as a father is adorable enough in her own mind. “Does his name mean anything?” A quiet question, head tilting toward Bastien’s voice.
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
"If I were a God I fear I would be a lazy one. One only interested in looking as good as I can as I lay golden over my sofa being fed grapes." Rexanna couldn't see it, but she would surely know he was pretending to lay back, eyes closed and imaginary grapes being fed into his waiting mouth.

It occurred to him that Rexanna could not see what it was Pittore looked like, so he began a short description. "Yes. I am not sure of his species, but he is small and humanoid with a green tint to his skin. He is about three feet tall and has one of the sweetest faces I have seen...though it is often covered in smudges of my paints." It was clear from his tone he was not truly upset by this and in fact found it endearing; he felt lucky to have found a companion who shared his interest in the arts.

Pittore, delighted by Rexanna welcoming him, attempt to climb up on the sofa to sit by her, little legs pushing him up. Bastien leaned down to help, speaking as he did. "Pittore means painter in Italian, the language of Venice. When I first found him after Longnight, he had been painting and has not stopped since, so it seemed appropriate. It appears he has taken to you." Pittore, once successfully on the couch, leaned towards Rexanna, trying to curl up nearby - it seemed the little gremlin had little perception of personal space.
BASTIEN
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
A chuckle of laughter leaves her as Bastien mentions he’d be a lazy god, a slight shake to her head. “A very handsome one though.” She replies easily, lips forming a bright grin. She can picture it, sunlight filtering in over his body, wasting the day away being fed and doted on. It’s amusing to her. But she’s thankful after a moment when Bastien begins to describe what Pittore looks like, and she sits up slightly to focus on the sound of his voice.

Awww.” She coos, immensely loving the fatherly tone his voice has taken when it comes to the companion. And she can feel the change, the shift in the creature as he pushes on the sofa to sit beside her, and she sits up just enough to fold her legs in and make some space as Bastien helps lift the gremlin onto the sofa. “Oh! Another little artistic one.” She hums delighted, feeling Pittore lean toward her and curl up.

Well that wouldn’t do.

At least now she knew where he was, and she reaches over to pick him up and settle him into her lap, arms wrapping around the creature as she brings the embroidery thing she’s been working on before Pittore. “Does he like to do anything else? Or just paint?” She questions, leaning over the gremlin’s shoulder to point to some of the edges she’s been working on as if she can see them, but she goes off of feeling and tries her best to show the creature what she’s creating.
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
"Well, of course." Bastien agreed, having thought it was a given that anything he did he would be the most handsome at.

With Rexanna's experience with children, he was sure she would take to Pittore well, though how comparable he was to a human child Bastien was not sure. The gremlin definitely had a mind of his own and a personality, but at the moment he seemed more akin to an intelligent animal than a son. Still, he had an artistic mind, which had immediately endeared him to Bastien - and it seemed Rexanna felt the same way.

Pittore reached forward to touch Rexanna's work, curiously at first, only lightly touching the edges. Then he gave out an excited squeak and tried to push her hands, wanting to see how she made the patterns. "It seems you may have a student." Bastien smiled as he picked back up his paintbrush and continued to sketch out the Voice.
BASTIEN
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
She can’t even deny that she’d think the same about him – but instead of giving in she only snorts and waves him off. Had she had her eyes, a wink would’ve accompanied it, before her attention is fully onto Pittore. And she’s absolutely enamored with the little gremlin. She sits up, settling and figuring out how to place the gremlin into her lap, before she’s managed to do it.

She can feel him reach forward touching the work, the pressure on one side far more taught than the other, and she angles to show him better as he squeaks and she laughs softly. “Okay, okay.” She says, moving her hands like she had before, but slower, so he can gather the basics and watch. “I can add teaching to my resume now.” She teases Bastien lightly, head lifting slightly toward his location as he picks up the paintbrush and continues to paint.

Rexanna, however, continues to make the little patterns until she reaches a place where she thinks she can stop, reaching for Pittore’s own hands and placing them like hers. “Now you try.” She urges, unsure if it can even understand her own words, or only Bastien’s. From what she could recall, when she had Marembo it was only her that could speak to him. But that was a long time ago, long far past.
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
"And I am sure you will be an excellent teacher." Bastien said with a smile, continuing to paint as Rexanna showed Pittore how the project worked. It felt pleasantly domestic, just him and his wife and the little soul learning between them; in the recent months he had felt more of a yearning for fatherhood than he ever had before.

Pittore took the threads from Rexanna and with his little stubby fingers did his best to replicate her work. It was messy, with holes and a lopsided edge, but a definite attempt to continue the pattern appeared over the next few minutes. Bastien looked over and grinned, his brush pausing on the base coat of The Voice's face. "You do seem to pick up the arts with a brilliant speed, little Pittore."

Happily babbling away, Pittore pushed the threads back to Rexanna, eager for her to feel the work. Content that they were getting along, Bastien went back to discussing his painting. "I have an idea for this work, cara, and I want you to tell me if I am going insane. As we all know, The Voice has become even more unpopular than she was after The Blight and well...I am not a fighter nor am I a diplomat, so I cannot help her in the same ways as others. But I am an artist, and I know how to make a statement."

Stepping back from his canvas for a moment to look at his work so far, he continued, visualising the scene. "I wish to hang this in the temple at the dead of night, over the shrine there. Right with their Old Gods. The statement should be simple enough - she is as much as, if not better."
BASTIEN
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
A brighter smile crosses Rexanna’s face at Bastien’s praise. She’s never really tried teaching before. Perhaps when she gets her eyes, she’ll be able to focus on trying it out. Of course, after experiencing Halo, after seeing what the world has to offer for them. For the time, however, Pittore satisfies her, and she appreciates the little gremlin’s attempt. She can’t see the work he’s doing, but honestly it probably looks about as good as her own does.

He certainly does.” She announces cheerfully toward Bastien as Pittore babbles away. Soon enough, he pushes the fabric back to her to feel, and she runs her fingers along the edges and work, giving quiet praise to Pittore as she adds her own tiny flare before handing it back to the little gremlin.

She listens as Bastien goes to discuss his painting, head lifting as she focuses on the direction his voice is coming from. And she nods in understanding and listening, head tilting slightly, lips curling into a gentle smile at the mention of making statements. And it seems like a good idea, if not… Starting some sort of war in a sense. “We do need to be careful what we do. We’re still heavily blamed for the blight and haven’t exactly repaired the relations since then.” She muses. “I like the idea but people will know that it was likely you. So long as you can deal with the aftermath.” A brief pause, because of the stories of Venice and how he had managed to handle a place like that didn’t seem to make her think he couldn’t.

After a moment she smiles a bit wider. “I think... you should do it.” She says easily, mentally preparing for the storm that's coming.
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
Bastien listened to Rexanna's opinion carefully, his brush slowly making its way down the canvas in one line. As much as he was an independant man (as well as a stubborn one), Rexanna's thoughts mattered more to him than any art critics ever had. Her disapproval did not mean scrapping the project, but it would certainly lead to a mass reconsideration of the work.

"Oh, darling, I shall revel in the aftermath. That is half the point. Besides, I am not beginning anything. I am simply dragging out into the light what is already there." Bastien was used to societal unrest. He knew how divides began, how movements were formed; he felt he was seeing the start of something dark happening between the Ascended and the other citizens of Caido.

If he was wrong, well, then they'd all just enjoy the painting. No harm done.

He looked to Rexanna with a soft smile, then to Pittore. He had more to lose now than he ever had, but his work finally had the chance to potentially make some real change. It was too tempting to pass over. "As do I. Though I am going to speak to The Voice first...I have not spent much time alone with her and I can hardly make such a statement without a familiarity with it's cause. You know her better than I - do you think she will approve?"
BASTIEN
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
She can’t help the smile that crosses her face at his admission, a quiet chime of laughter that leaves her. “You’re not wrong.” She lifts her head to face his direction, that same smile across her face as she considers him while she continues to work with her fingers and Pittore’s help with her fabric. “You do a beautiful job of bringing out the elephant in the room.” Her tone is teasing, and if she could have, she absolutely would’ve winked to him.

But thoughts and wheels are racing through her head, turning and churning with thought as he continues and mentions he plans on speaking to the Voice first. “I don’t know her very well myself, but… Any attempt to put us in a better light I don’t think she’d disapprove of.” She considers thoughtfully. Of course, it’s not the Voice she’s worried about. Despite the terrible things they could have done, she still loves them. She’s never seen any retribution from their goddess over anything.

It makes her appreciate the Voice all the more.

I am curious though…” She trails off with a tilt of her head, contemplating while her fingers still. “It feels like this… War is beginning. And its us against them, when neither side of us have met in the middle to talk about what’s happening.” A thought trailing once more, brows furrowing beneath the bandana. “I think maybe it might be worth a shot to try and meet in the middle.” Because they couldn’t just be swept under the rug like the Old Gods wished. They’re people too.

And while the Ascended have directly affected the rest of the world around them, the rest of the races, perhaps a formal form of apology and willing to work together could change the direction they’re all headed in.
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
Bastien really had to bite his tongue to stop himself from responding 'are you referring to my cock?' to Rexanna's comment; he was better than that. Still, he smirked and nodded, shrugging his agreement. "I do not see the point of leaving conflict as background tension. May as well have it out in the open; then we can deal with it...however it is dealt with."

He nodded, though he was not sure how The Voice felt about art. Everyone's contributions so far had been somewhat more practical; Bastien did not know how his personal talents would come across.

Pittore seemed to somehow sense the sudden seriousness in the room and curled up, continuing to play with Rexanna's crafting project but slower now, quieter, almost as if he was listening. Bastien sighed, leaning in to focus on a detail as he spoke: "If it were just you and I to make the choice, I would agree, cara. But from what I have seen The Voice is not interested in a friendly relationship with the Old Gods...and at best a neutral one with their followers."
BASTIEN
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
She half expects him to make the comment he thinks of, and is quietly surprised when he doesn’t. Instead, she listens while he speaks and nods along. “It only gets worse as it’s prolonged.” She agrees quietly to his own agreement. Things remained hidden for too long and then exploded, blowing up in the face of everyone involved – a volcanic eruption when it could have been a simple release of pressure early on to prevent it.

Still, she can feel as Pittore curls up and she wraps her arms around him like she would a baby of sorts, focusing on Bastien’s direction and letting Pittore do whatever he chose to do with the fabric and threads. “I didn’t mean the Voice.” She offers quietly, thoughtfully, head tilting. “I meant what we could do on our end and what they can do on their end to come to a compromise. No gods involved.” Certainly something could be done. “There’s many of us who are Abandoned, whom the gods rarely even speak to anyway. I was lucky to see Frey twice when I did. So I think it’s safe to say that perhaps all of the gods out there, ours included, are disinterested to an extent.

At least, it sure seemed like it.
REXANNA