all we've got is a dream
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
in the right heaven-yellow light, anything could be
holy enough to save you
Despite not being able to see, she makes it to the Bakery off of memory alone. At least her hands and arms work now, paired with that very same bandana that Deimos made for her that she can easily tie around the space where eyes no longer exist. But there’s hope, hope that she can get a new set – to be able to see again. And with it, perhaps the ability to try and befriend someone she should have known far before now.

Especially if her connection to Deimos is worth anything.

She knocks at the door of the Bakery, hoping that perhaps the Shield of Safrin is indoors, that she might be willing to help lead the Ascended to the Glade to retrieve a clear glow stone. “Amalia, are you home?” She calls as she knocks, pulling her hood tighter around her despite not feeling the chill in the air.
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
I belong to you the way the moon belongs to the stars
"Come in!"

Amalia is indeed home, working on the first of the preparations for Fiat Lux when someone knocks upon the door. She does not recognize the voice, though it certainly seems familiar: but so is every voice, these days, the bakery a popular place for others to gather and discuss. Perhaps this is a neighbor, then, or someone coming to collect the bread for the upcoming festival, to place an order for spring seed cakes. She expects something along those lines, benign and easy as a morning in the Spring should be.

She does not expect Rexanna, hooded and blindfolded, a stark reminder of the terrors of the Night.

"Rexanna." Amalia's voice is soft, uncertain, and she is grateful that the Ascended woman cannot see the discontent which flashes over her face. She does not move from behind the counter, not sure if the woman will need help navigating the shop and too anxious to ask. "How... how can I help you, today?"
the stars in your eyes will bring me back
and once again, i will kiss the sky
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
holy enough to save you
Amalia’s voice reaches her, muffled beyond the wood that separates them by the door, and she obliges – opening the door and pausing by the entrance to where she tries to pinpoint Amalia’s location based off the sound. And when she hears her name, her head lifts in Amalia’s direction with a soft smile – unable to see the war that rages between the Shield of Safrin, and quietly thankful for it.

Hi.” She begins quietly, shuffling her jacket around her shoulders, ensuring she hasn’t lost anything while she figures out what to say. “I know it’s getting late out, but I was hoping maybe you could help me get to the Glade?” Another brief pause. “I need to get a clear glow stone if I hope to regain my sight, and Deimos is already helping me with another task. I thought maybe it would give us a chance to get to know each other better?

She leaves it open, completely able for Amalia to tell her to leave and she would. But she doesn’t know what Amalia knows about the entire ordeal, doesn’t know really anything anymore without her sight, and she’s stuck just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. “Plus I never got to thank you for making the cake for my wedding, it was an absolute hit.
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Of all the things she anticipates being asked, non of them are that. Amalia blinks in frank surprise as Rexanna voices her request, wondering why on Caido's earth the Ascended would come to her with this favor. Does the Penumbra not yet know they stand on opposite sides in a brewing war? That Amalia has spoken against Wessex, that she is tasked with halting the spread of the Voice?

She thinks about refusing, but something holds her tongue. Rexanna is beloved by Deimos and Kiada.

She is, in a way, family.

It is good Rexanna cannot see the flurry of uncertainty that runs across her face, the way Amalia clenches her hands and closes her eyes a momet. "Of course," the baker exhales at last, stepping from behind the counter to offer a hand to the blind Ascended, a flush and a smile and a swathe of shame rushing through her at the unearned compliment. "It was a beautiful wedding," she replies softly, her voice still unsure. "I... had never seen anything like it."
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
holy enough to save you
It certainly is a good thing that Rexanna can’t see the war that rages across Amalia’s face. It goes completely unnoticed, and instead she focuses on the positives, the compliment and Amalia’s own acceptance of helping her. She wonders if she has anything that might be helpful to Amalia, to give the Shield something in response to helping her in this moment when she’s so incredibly vulnerable. Still, she dips her head a little bit at Amalia’s own admission of the wedding being beautiful and unlike what she’d seen.

Well… We didn’t really know how Ascended weddings work.” A small shrug. “And we didn’t particularly think that the Old Gods would appreciate us having a wedding like what you did for Remi and Ronin.” A soft frown crossing her face slightly at that. “We wanted to be respectful, so we did it similarly to how I had done it in my last wedding.” Because the first wedding had gone similarly, except with far terrible results.

This one ended up much better so far.

Regardless, she takes Amalia’s hand easily, a soft squeeze of thanks given as she lets Amalia lead her wherever direction they need to go to get there. “If there’s anything I can do for you for helping me, please do let me know?” Her head lifts toward the Baker, wondering if she can see the honesty laced along her face.
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Of course she brings the gods into it, causing Amalia to wince a little, her dark eyes darting away. No, the Old Ones likely would not have graced a union between Ascendeds, and in truth the Shield had felt some anxiety and discomfort of her own at being in such a setting. And that her last wedding had been similar, the one that Kiada had spoken so poorly of? Amalia's lips purse, her nose wrinkling as Rexanna takes her hand.

Thank the Gods, she does not speak.

Stepping out the door into the cold, the girl feels her body brace against the brisk spring day, leopard fur rising over bare forearms without much more than a second thought. Her feet are bare as she steps into the damp grass, gently guiding Rexanna toward the Glade and hoping that she will not bring up the Voice again. Though her question causes the girl to laugh, a light burst of sound like falling chimes. "You don't need to do anything for me-"

Then she cuts off, a thought suddenly rising with terrible urgency to the front of her mind. The grin that splits her face is wicked, and mischief glitters in her eyes, above her fiercely flushing cheeks. "Actually- you've known Deimos for a long time. Can you... can you tell me about him? Before here?"
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
holy enough to save you
In the end, if Amalia asked, Rexanna would likely have to explain the differences – the way that Kiada is only just a few years younger than she is in this world, and how the last marriage had been in Halyven and Asciend, a combination of two kingdoms and not simply a dispersing of one home for another. In fact, she barely remembers anything of Tembovu anymore – the forefront of her mind when it came to lovers being Calstron and Bastien, and gods what a shift between the two there had been.

Regardless, Rexanna doesn’t comment on anything further – not really caring much to bring up the gods herself in the end anyway, and instead she focuses on offering something of her own to repay this kindness from the Shield of Safrin. Perhaps it puts them both at ease? Still, shes surprised somewhat when Amalia’s chimed laugh meets her ears, as she begins to initially refute the offer, until something almost mischievous crosses the air between them.

Stepping with Amalia, they make their way toward the Glade, and a brighter grin crosses her face at the question. “Oh, absolutely.” If that’s all she wanted to know? Oh, Rexanna could certainly share some of the dirt she had on the Reaper turned Sword. “He was called the Reaper, when I arrived in Helovia.” She begins, contemplating. “That life drain magic he has, he had it there too I think. He never actually told me about it, but I heard that it was always active, so you couldn’t touch him for very long.” A considering thought, because she had touched him once. “I think that’s why he’s so weird about it here. I’m sure you’ve probably noticed. But anyway, he ruled the Aurora Basin when I arrived. The King of the Basin.” Her head tilts. “But I moved to the World’s Edge with Kiada and her twin before he… Well, before he died, and apparently he had lived there before the Basin too. He joined as a soldier.
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia can feel her tension easing slightly as they approach the glade, distracted from brooding over racial differences by the sheer delight of hearing Rexanna talk about Deimos' history. Her toes press gently in the grass as they walk, padded feet not bothered by the cold, a shy, soft smile on her angular face as she carefully leads the Penumbra on. "Do you think he liked being a King?" she wonders , glancing sidelong at the woman- and then, almost an afterthought, an anxious addition she almost doesn't dare to say. "Did he... did he have a queen?" How did he love someone if he could not even touch?

'He met a girl in the rain...'

Shaking her head she tries to push such troubling thoughts away. He lived a life before her - more than one, in fact. She cannot allow herself to be threatened by that, has managed to avoid it for this long. So what if she is boring and plain, nothing compared to the woman on her arm, the ones who must live in his past?

As they reach the glade she gently eases the other woman toward one of the larger stones. "Here- if you like you can stay here. and I'll, uh, I'll look for a rock. And maybe you can... you can tel me a little more? Of what he was like?"
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
holy enough to save you
She lets Amalia lead her, gladly, without second thought. The woman could lead her into a trap, and yet the Penumbra would be none the wiser, babbling on about Deimos until she inevitably walked into fire should Amalia wish it – but something within her trust the baker despite the distrust there might be between her goddess and her own. And she remains calm, collected, relaxed as the words leave her lips, talking about the brooding man that they both adored much to his chagrin.

The question takes her a small amount off guard, and she thinks back to his standoffishness, before a small sad frown crosses her face. “I think he did it because he had to… I’m not sure he wanted to. And after so long of doing it, he had nothing else. Nobody else.” A sad admission, but he had ruled until the day he died. Had he stepped down? What would he have even done? Even she couldn’t tell. But the sadness is replaced with a small amount of wonder at the mention of a queen, and she nods quietly. “There was a queen, yes, but not in the way it might be here… They weren’t together in a relationship. When I moved to the World’s Edge, my husband there was the King but that did not make me the Queen.” She rumbles before a tilt of her head. “That being said, when I was there, they promoted me to a diplomat position and Hotaru became Deimos’ Queen.” Another thoughtful answer, and had she had eyes she would’ve scanned Amalia’s face for the news to drop, to see it cross her face, but she can’t. So she gently squeezes Amalia’s arm in quiet consolation.

That Hotaru was his queen, did not mean they were together like that. Just old friends, that there’s nothing for the Shield of Safrin to worry about.

She’s guided to the spot where Amalia has her sit and she gives a quiet nod in response. “It just needs to be clear.” She offers quietly, thankfulness laced within her voice, before she focuses on more of Deimos. “As for Deimos, he was quiet… Very intimidating. He’s never been much for words, really, but he’s opened up a lot since coming here. He’s… Happier I think. Especially after meeting you.” She says with a quiet chimed laugh. “The happiest I had seen him in Helovia was in small meetings when we’d talk about what needed to be done with the Basin, when we’d plan things for hours beneath the stars and Hotaru and I would taunt him.” She pauses, wondering what else Amalia may ask for.

She knows nothing of Huyana. Nothing of that part of him. He’d never told her.
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
She listens intently as Rexanna continues to explain, breathlessly fascinated by this distant, discontent Deimos. He seems so comfortable, so natural here- quiet, yes, but confident too, a staple of her life that she cannot imagine having been without. Always surrounded, always loved, with more family than the girl could ever claim.

Intimidating? Maybe, once, when they first met. But now?

Happier after meeting you.

She shifts to avoid blushing, her form constricting down and down until a slight brown otter stands in the place of the girl. At this vantage it will be easier to closely assess the stones. She makes her way among them quickly, still listening to Rexanna as she works.

It does not take long to find a clear glowstone, though as she fits her small paw around it the light begins to dim. She returns to Rex and shifts again, standing before the woman a moment, the smooth rock in her hand. She should have it over. She should give it without a thought. She should help this woman, her lover's friend, her young cub's mother, her family by extension. She shouldn't question, shouldn't ask, and yet...

"Were you there? At the Mathair? Did... Did you help to kill those Fae?"
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
holy enough to save you
Amalia remains quiet while she looks and Rexanna explains the Reaper she knew. And while Amalia looks, she continues her story, pausing only when she thinks that perhaps she might have spoken too much that Amalia hadn’t gotten her questions in – because she can’t see, can’t understand the shifts in Amalia’s face, in the way her hands pause as she grasps for the clear stone, the way she regards Rexanna in wonder if she should hand over the stone.

And the question makes her pause, herself, head aimed toward the ground. She supposes she should have expected it was coming. And she doesn’t think she can get away with lying to Amalia, the Shield of Safrin, Deimos’ lover. She inhales deeply, exhaling quietly as she lifts her head to Amalia, a soft frown finding her face as she figures out how to put it. Unlike Wessex, a dear friend of hers, a sister of sorts, Rexanna was far more apologetic for the events that occurred, but she had also been trapped by the tree for a majority of the fight.

She had done very little in comparison.

I was there.” She begins, frown deepening, hands folded in her lap as she sits on the rock. “I didn’t help to kill the Fae, I was trapped by the roots of the Mathair.” She sighs, figuring out how the best way to put it was. She regretted the lives lost, but they hadn’t known about the Spire portal, she had been blinded by the mountains she saw within, the possibilities. “I regret what happened, but as soon as we had arrived, Lucas had shot the tree and it fought back before the Fae arrived. The Fae had fire when they did arrive.” A pause as she contemplates it. “I was blinded by the mountains I saw through the portal… I wanted Kiada to have something as close to the Basin as we could get. I was selfish and I wanted so badly to do something for her, to give her something when I had done such awful things.

She doesn't blame Amalia if she doesn't give the stone to her. At this point she doesn't know if she deserves it anyway.
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
She holds the stone between her fingers, clutching it tight against her palm as Rexanna inhales, an unnecessary act. For her part Amalia is scarcely breathing: she knows it is wrong to hold the stone hostage, but she cannot help the sudden need to know, to find the truth of this, the actions of  this woman who her family loves. The desire to give the sky to Kiada catches her somewhere beneath her ribs; Amalia can understand that urge more than any other, but oh, she still cannot agree.

She can feel her stomach clench and boil, anxiety and anger and regret at war within. "Would you have left, had you not been trapped? Or would you have stayed and helped- helped to bring down something sacred, and to kill those who protected it?" Her voice sounds hoarse to her own ears, trapped behind the lump in her throat. "What if the Blight spreads to Halo? And further? If another land almost dies? Is it worth it? Is she?"

Whether Amalia means the Voice or Kiada is left unclear.
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
holy enough to save you
She’s beginning to suspect that she might not ever get the stone, but she isn’t prepared for the loaded questions that Amalia gives her. The Shield or Safrin was certainly helping her daughter live a far better life than the Penumbra could have offered, and for that she’s thankful. But there’s a part of her that finds Amalia to be naive, as though she could prevent casualties everywhere. And while it was a noble thing to want to do, there’s no possible way that it could happen. There’d never be peace, in the end.

And so she answers as honestly as she can. “If we had known about the portal in the Spire, I would have not dared to get near the Mathair.” And it’s true, they hadn’t known there was an option in their backyard. They had been summoned to help, and with their help they’d destroyed. Like always, like usual.

Her head lowers slightly in her vulnerability, unable to see but able to hear tremendously well, she wonders if she’ll hear Amalia’s padded feet leave her along the stone and rockery. “I want no hand in causing death, Amalia. And I regret what happened at the Mathair. But there’s nothing we can do about it now, is there? We can’t apologize. We can’t turn back time with the knowledge we have now?

Only does she pause when Amalia’s next set of words hit her, her lips forming a line of a frown. “No.” Kiada’s life isn’t worth it. The Voice isn’t worth it if they leave destruction in their wake. But what choice does she have? The portal is open. The Ascended have been there, and there’s been no signs of the blight. “I was not Ascended when the blight spread. I didn’t… Connect it to us. I helped Phoebe by offering a sample of our fluid to better understand it.” She explains, still frowning. “All I want is to give my friends, family and the people of the Hollowed Grounds, the world. But it’s not worth it in the end if there’s nothing left, is it?” Her head lifts toward Amalia.
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"And yet when the Spire was opened it was with more death." Amalia doesn't mean to sound as sharp as she does; indeed, her tone is usually milder, but today the girl is sharp and brittle, worn down by too many difficult days.

But she softens a little as Rexanna says no, something in the girl's hard face unwinding, shifting to a quieter, relieved expression. "It's not," she agrees, exhaling a soft sigh, a little of her own brittle pain easing through her voice. Suddenly she is a child, not a Shield; suddenly she is fragile, guileless, naive. "I want the world, too, Rex. I want to see it all. I lived my life in this place, watching it die. I want to see what it's like to be in a world that's alive."

Stepping forward suddenly, Amalia presses her hand to Rexanna, the easing the stone between her palms. She does not release yet, though; instead she grabs the woman's hands between her own, searching in the sightless face for some sign of understanding, for truth, for evidence that she can trust the Penumbra. "We cannot let her open more portals, Rexanna. Not while there's still a danger to the world. As much as we might want it, we... we can't."

Releasing her hands at last, Amalia pulls away. "Help me do the right thing. Help me protect life."
Amalia