A Gentle Shroud
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
The stars, the moon,
They have all been blown out
"He was a successful man. I am proud to have him as my ancestor." Abasi felt a pang in his chest as he realised he had not left his offerings for his ancestors since he had come to Caido. Perhaps he could make a small shrine for them in the manor - hopefully Loren wouldn't mind.

He smiled and nodded. He could not remember well his time blighted, only seemed to recall it in flashes of rage-filled memories and confused dreams, but he knew he was glad Loren had been there through it.

Abasi stood to let Remi in, waving a dismissive hand at his words. "There is no requirement for artistic skill. I personally have no talent for it. Some people have simply written." And while he might not care for what they had written, it remained on the wall as all of them would.

The room he took Remi into was pristine perfectly clean, to the point where it was hard to believe it had been an abandoned building only a week prior. A table laid out in the middle of the room had along it many different tools; knives, spoons, hooks, all with the purpose of embalming or removing parts of corpses. Cupboards along the walls were labelled with a language Remi did not recognise that appeared to be largely pictorial, while the wall featured 4 charcoal-painted depictions of the end of life. No bodies were currently in the mortuary, but the space at the back with a cold emanating from it was clearly for the storage of corpses when they would arrive.

"I have tried to make it look as professional and clean as possible, to encourage members of the public to engage with me." Abasi declared, looking across to Remi as if asking for confirmation of it's cleanliness and professionalism.
No dawn, no day
I'm always in this twilight
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
i've hidden all my fears in a book for only my eyes to see
Remi smiled weakly at that. He had no one in his blood-family that he was at all proud to be related to. Still, he could understand the sentiment well enough, being more than proud for the people in his life he now considered his family.

With a bashful smile, Remi entered into the mortuary having absolutely no idea what to expect. And yet still he was surprised. Shivering slightly at the chill from blocks of ice that he currently couldn't see, the alchemist stepped forward with his mouth agape as he looked around. Though he didn't understand all of what he was seeing, being an artisan he could certainly respect the cleanliness and the way that everything was lined up just so. Getting a sense that part of this was for hygienic reasons, he reached down and wiped errantly at the grease and soil that stained his clothes, banishing it instantly.

"You have certainly done that. From one craftsman to another, this is most impressive." Remi breathed, his fingers trailing over but not touching the various tools.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The stars, the moon,
Abasi noticed that Remi eliminated the dirt from his clothes in a second; immediately he wondered if the other man was 'abandoned' by the Gods by himself (and also grateful that the Alchemist wasn't going to get his grubby little hands on everything). However he had learnt that some considered the question to be rude, so for the moment he held off on asking it.

But Remi said something else that was interesting, anyway. Fetching some charcoal paints from one of the cupboards as well as a cloth to cover the floor with, he asked: "What is it you craft?" Remi had been covered with stains but had said he had no artistic skill, so Abasi wondered if he might be an architect or some kind of inventor.
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"Oh, ah..." Bashfully Remi offered the other man a crinkled sort of smile. Everything was probably the most correct answer, but it felt so horribly pompous to say.  "Would you believe once I was a weapons creator?" He asked, his gentle laugh and overall affect seeming to reinforce (along with his amusement) how silly of an occupation that had been for him. "Now I am just an alchemist." He replied eventually.

Offering the undertaker another boyish shrug, Remi moved to look at the paintings on the walls. Indeed some were far more detailed than others, and just as Abasi said, one was just words.

"And this is all for the dead?" He asked, leaning forward with his hands linked behind his back as he inspected the mural.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Undertaker

Change author:
The stars, the moon,
"I believe the word is weaponsmith." Abasi said automatically, inwardly cringing at himself after - he had meant to become less judgemental, less picky, but sometimes it just slipped out. At least he could find something to respect in Remi's occupation. "An Alchemist? That is a good profession. I have read the works of many of the Alchemists of my world."

Placing the paint on the table along with a brush, he nodded. "Yes. Where I come from we used to paint the myths in tombs to guide the dead. I thought...it would be a nice gesture to have as many cultures as I could represented on these walls. Even if it turns out to not be true, perhaps it will be a comfort to souls or their families." Was it cruel to lie, or crueller to take away hope? Abasi had still not decided, but for now the wall paintings stayed.

"Please, feel free to add your own. You must have some idea of what will happen."
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"You are probably right." The alchemist agreed with an easy smile. "As a commoner I doubt they even worried about the title, so long as I did my duty." He added with a shrug, not minding the correction in the slightest. "Ahh...thank you." Ruffling a rather uncomfortable hand through his hair Remi turned back to the walls, letting his eyes roam over the various etchings and paintings there.

Glancing over his shoulder as Abasi explained, Remi nodded along with a child-like innocence to hear the meaning behind it all. "It...is rather strange to be in a world that so many of us were not born into, no?" He asked with a curious sort of smile. Coming to the painting of the flames, Remi swallowed. "This would be Loren's, then?" He asked almost casually.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Undertaker

Change author:
The stars, the moon,
"Hmm." It occurred to Abasi that there might have even been a different name for the profession in Remi's world. He really had to stop making assumptions based on how things had worked in his home.

It seemed Remi did not want to put forward an idea about the afterlife, so Abasi decided to not ask again; perhaps the man was uncertain and the idea made him uncomfortable. Either way, he would not pressure people to add to the wall - that was a way to be sure of poor workmanship. "It is strange. I spoke to a Demi-God of death and she told me we will not return to our worlds upon our deaths...a thought I find most disquieting." He sighed, fingers loosely touching his own drawing of the heart scales and Ra.

"Yes, that is Loren's work. He told me his family burn their dead, to make sure the magic goes with the body." Abasi turned to look at the image drawn by Loren, wondered if one day he'd be arranging the pyre for the Launceleyn... "How well do you know Loren? I met a woman that had known him during Longnight who had some...less than savoury things to say."
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"A demi-god of death?" Remi repeated, spinning on his heels and giving the undertaker a shocked look. Running a hand through his curls and swallowing down his incredulity, he blinked several times to try and understand. "I...I suppose that makes sense. I think if anyone could send us back to where we came from it would be the Voice." He added with a light shrug.

"Mmmmm." The alchemist hummed in vague agreement, his eyes alighting over the painted flames. The question caught Remi slightly off guard, though it probably shouldn't have. "Ahh, well, we came from the same world." He said with a hesitant smile. "But honestly I do not know him that well anymore. My..memories were taken around this time last year. Not all of them, but I lost everything I once knew of Loren." Having absolutely no idea if that was sufficient or whether he had a duty to tell Abasi what the pair of them had once been, Remi simply shrugged slightly. As it would turn out the mortician and the summoner were already farther along in their relationship than Remi and Loren had ever been, so perhaps it didn't matter in the end anyways.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Undertaker

Change author:
The stars, the moon,
"Yes...her name was Delphia." It seemed plenty of the people he had met were surprised by the news of Delphia's existence, which Abasi found odd: he had thought that as an Abandoned, he would have been one of the last ones to meet a God, Demi or otherwise. "The daughter of Mort, she told me. She is in the Greatwood, though Wessex has given her permission to cross the border."

The more he heard about this Voice, the more Abasi thought she sounded like someone he could use an audience with. Not necessarily to convert to her cause (though he was willing to listen to her pitch) but to find out how it was she had so effectively defied the Gods.

"The same world? Loren has not told me too much of his world. What was it like?" Abasi asked, curious to learn what kind of world made a man such as the one he lived with. Though to find out Remi had lost memories too, just like Oliver had...it seemed to be a far more common curse than Abasi liked to know. "How did you lose them?"
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Uh...huh..." The alchemist hummed, clearly still surprised by this. He didn't doubt Abasi's tale, more so he found the entire thing so incredulous making it hard to swallow. "Forgive me. I had not met nor known that there were other demigods, save for Ronin and he...well, I suppose he came by it rather strangely. Not born, the way that this Delphia apparently was."

Running a hand consideringly through his curls, Remi let his mind wander back to the world he'd been plucked out of. "Well...I suppose that all depends on who you were. I was a commoner and a shapechanger—the absolute lowest of the low." This the alchemist recounted with a wry and defiant sort of smile. "So life was harder. I had very little and was afforded hardly any privileges or luxuries. Loren on the other hand was a duke. He did not have the easiest time given who his family is, but I expect he would have very different things to say." Rubbing a thumb against his upper arm, the alchemist shrugged. "But in many ways it was hard for all. Men could not be with men, and relationships were only encouraged insofar as they would produce children. We were at war, though I know not with whom, so all tasks were fairly utility-based."

As for his memories? "One of the gods here, Ludo, gave me its mask. I lost it. As punishment it took from me some of my memories."

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Undertaker

Change author:
The stars, the moon,
"And how was it Ronin came by it? I have heard of this man. The absent king that stood down." It was rather obvious from Abasi's tone this was not something he approved of. No one else seemed to take issue with it though, so he supposed eventually he'd have to get used to the idea that here the monarchy was not seen in the same way.

He listened with great interest to Remi telling him of his old world, wanting to ask Loren about any details later. The part of him that was still that snobby Priest's son was happy to learn his lover was someone of good high birth, even as the newer voice within criticised him for thinking it. Though he did have a question for Remi too. "Could men not just lay with women for the sake of a child then go back to their lovers? That is how it often worked in my home."

A fitting punishment for losing something of a Gods, Abasi thought, so he just nodded at Remi's tale about the mask.
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"The goddess Safrin." Remi replied, not at all catching whatever negative implication might have been hidden in Abasi's tone. Ronin was indeed an absent ruler thanks to the blight, and he had indeed stepped down. "A group of us confronted the Spire Demon that lurked and guarded the Spire. When it was nearly dead it exploded, killing Ronin." This was said with the melancholy weight of one who had mourned the man who had died; nevermind that he'd come back. "She placed him in the sky as a star. Later...a woman very close to him offered up her own immortality in exchange for his return. Safrin arranged it with the god of death, and...well. There is a reason he is called the Fallen Star."

Listening to the suggestion, the alchemist pulled in a breath and merely shrugged. "I do not know. Perhaps it was to maintain some sort of family unit? But no, such a thing was not allowed."

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Undertaker

Change author:
The stars, the moon,
"Safrin." Abasi had not heard much of this Goddess, only knew that she existed, really. It seemed everyone only wanted to speak about Frey or Ludo, or if they were feeling angry, The Voice. "So he has returned from the dead? I see." Really, he was surprised - it sounded like he'd had a good honourable death doing something important, and to be in the sky was a fitting, peaceful afterlife. He did not say that though, sure that the man's husband was very content with the way things had panned out.

He glanced to the wall, wondering just how common this sort of thing was. "If you'd like, you could draw or write something about that on the wall. In case it happens again to someone else."

At hearing about family units, he said nothing, just shrugged. Other cultures often had odd hang ups and thoughts about relationships, he thought (particularly the Greeks, who had visited frequently, and whom Abasi could not stand).
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
”Mmhmm.” Remi agreed with a nod. Whatever negative connotations might have come from the man’s tone or demeaned were entirely lose on the alchemist. Instead he merely hummed a sound of agreement, thinking nothing more of Abasi’s queries than mindless curiosity.

As Abasi made another offer of artistic license for the wall, the alchemist look towards the stone curves and considered. Something deep within himself stirred, crested, and then finally culminated in a dull wave. ”Perhaps...I might…” He said to himself. With a faint smile in Abasi’s direction, the alchemist awkwardly shook his head at the proferred paint and instead created a stab of charcoal in his hands. It wa as mixture of earth and creation magic that allowed him to do it, but it was clear that the alchemist thought little of it, for how quickly he took to sketching out words upon the wall.

You have a choice. Was all that he wrote. A choice to die? A choice to come back? It was hard to know. Offering the undertaker a curious smile, Remi merely placed the stub of charcoal down and wiped his hands of it.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky