the words
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
i've got a river for a soul
Were you to approach, this is what you'd see: The alchemist, handsomely disheveled as always, seated just on the inside of the scar demarcating the Outskirts from the Greatwood. Legs crossed, he is bent over, plucking at errant blades of grass and apparently talking to someone. Though a cursory look would indicate no one was around.

"...I know it will not be as good as yours." Remi said with a boyish but sad smile. "And I am sure no matter what I do to mine, yours will somehow always be better." He added with a laugh, running a hand through his curls and softly shaking his head.

Ianto wasn't there of course. Remi had no idea where the fox was, though he thought even were he allowed to look for him in the Greatwood, he'd probably not be found. There was no one he'd rather discuss his wagon-plans with (except for Ronin), but if the alchemist had been taught one thing, it was that no one just got what they wanted. Not in Caido anyways.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
SAMUEL
i am the ocean, crawling madly at your moon.
and with one wanton whoop —
With everything that had occurred, Sam was feeling overwhelmed. His new tasks to complete for The Voice, the rapidly spreading knowledge of a new land far away from the Hollowed Grounds...it truly felt like he had not had a single chance to rest in months and he was beginning to yearn for just a night of quiet, uninterrupted sleep. Even with Nate beside him, he could not keep his mind from wandering in the dark.

A walk around the Outskirts seemed like a good way to clear his head, as long as he did not stray towards the woods. It was always quiet there and he felt secure knowing his safehouse was nearby. Sam walked with his hands in his pockets, which had become somewhat a habit of his since his injury, and tried to think over all he had done and what was left to do.

Looking ahead, he saw Remi sat in an odd place, facing the scarred earth that had once been the barrier. Sam began to speed up towards him, eager to thank the Alchemist again for his help at the Bone Bridge, but then slowed as he saw that Remi was speaking. He did not want to interrupt. Though...it seemed there was no one there.

He stopped a few feet away and cleared his throat, peeking around to see if there was anyone perhaps behind a tree. "Remi? Are you...busy?"
— i melt into a sycophantic soup,
& all that's left to do, is giggle, fawn, and swoon.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Glancing over his shoulder at the sound of Sam's familiar voice, the alchemist offered him a warm and somewhat bashful smile. "Never too busy for you." He replied, waving the bookmaker over to sit alongside him.

Looking ahead into the darkened wood, free of foxes that happened to be mischievous merchants, Remi merely smiled at the shadows stretching ever longer, and sighed slightly. "I was...talking to myself, I suppose" He explained with a sheepish smile. Sam wasn't the red-head he'd been looking for, but the alchemist was always pleased to see the ascended. Despite all that had happened, Sam had ended up being one of Remi's closest friends, the two sort of falling into the role rather strangely.

"What brings you out here?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam smiled warmly at Remi's words, feeling in his chest the soft love for an old friend as he went to sit down next to him. Sitting to one side with his coat under him to protect him from the cold ground, he blew on his fingers to try and warm them.

"Just to yourself...?" He looked out to the woods, thinking it an odd place to sit and discuss things with ones self. Personally, he would rather have done it somewhere with a better view, one you could get lost in, not looking at a few dense trees. "If you say so, but I feel I know you a little better than that, Remi." He said gently, nudging Remi's arm with his elbow.

He didn't feel he had enough of a reason to really answer Remi's question. Shrugging, he tilted his head side to side. "I have a lot to think about. I was on a walk to try and work it out...though of course, I'm no closer to that."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Noting the way the ascended had to keep the chill from his fingers, a problem unique to Sam, Remi smiled faintly. As always he vaguely wondered if the patch he'd made had been a mistake. If it really had just been a sexual desire covered up with defenses of altruism. To this day he still didn't really know.

"Well, to Ianto I suppose." He said with a crinkled expression, nudging Sam back playfully. Like with the bookmaker, Ianto was another ex with whom Remi had a rather odd relationship, but one he cherished deeply. "Did you ever see his wagon? It...moved on its own. And was bigger on the inside." So saying the alchemist hummed a sound of appreciation and melancholy, before giving Sam his full attention.

"A lot, mmm? " He asked raising a brow in an obvious go on gesture.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
"Oh, I see." Sam only knew of Ianto from a mention in his old diaries, only knew enough to know he had once been a lover of Remi's. "No, I'm afraid I did not. How did he make it do that? I mean...I assume magic." Sam laughed, realising he'd probably asked the obvious. "Could you do something like that?"

He did not even know how to get into everything that had happened. Especially as he had sworn to himself to be more selective about what he said to non-Ascended about The Voice. Still, he found it hard to want to keep things from Remi.

"Yes. I...have been given a new role by The Voice, one that I find a little frightening." Sam sighed and held his arm. "I'm sure you've heard about the new portal? The Voice wants me to find more of them and help her make them active. It feels like a lot of responsibility."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Arduinna did it." Remi said with a flicker of a mischievous smile. "Something as grand as his? Oh, never." He replied with a slight blush and shake of his head. "Similar perhaps. A poor copy, but...I grew up travelling in a wagon, so I suppose there is something nostalgic about it." Remi had told Sam roughly of his plans to travel. Not in so much detail as to include the wagon—that was a relatively new development as it was.

Raising a brow as his friend continued, once he'd said his piece, Remi merely stared at him for a moment. Then, perhaps quite unexpectedly, the alchemist burst into a bought of happy laughter so strong that it knocked him back so that he was laying flat on his back. "Ahhh, of course she did." He chuckled, prodding his friend to lay down alongside him.

'Well that is grand timing Sam. Really grand. I suppose that makes us adversaries now. I have been given the opposite task: defending the portals."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
"I have seen what you can do. I'm sure you could make a better one, actually." Sam insisted with an encouraging smile. He had known few mages as powerful as Remi in his lifetime and was confident at this point that the man could do anything he put his mind to. Though that they were discussing this at all perhaps showed that even Remi could not bring people back from wherever they had gone. "...So...is Ianto in these woods? Can you not see him now because of the border?"

He had not been expecting laughter as a response to his announcement at all and Sam stared at Remi confused, wondering if perhaps he had been heard incorrectly. But no, it appeared Remi knew exactly what he was talking about and then some.

Sam did not find it quite as funny. He smiled wanly simply because Remi did as he laid down, but his mind tended to work far more in fear and paranoia and this was no exception. Would this drive them apart? It did not seem that Remi was taking it too seriously... "Who told you to do that? And...are you going to?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"You are too kind." Remi argued back with a light roll of his eyes. "And yes, or at least I think so. He lives here, in his wagon. Though perhaps with Arduinna gone he no longer does. She had...bound him to her, in a way. Perhaps her death finally set him free." Much as it pained the alchemist to think his friend might have left without saying goodbye, he supposed he couldn't quite hold it against him.

Once his laughter had faded, Remi glanced towards Sam and sighed. "I think...Rae did, actually. It was in a dream...but one that a few others shared as well." Resting his wrist across his forehead to partially shade his eyes from the light, he let his gaze linger on Sam's for a moment before shrugging. "We are meant to guard the portals. To stop the ascended from using them. Only...I am not sure I want to. I do not want another blight of course, but now that we are blocked from the Greatwood, it feels like it did when the barrier was up." Scanning the lines of Sam's face, now perhaps just as familiar to him as it had been when the pair had been together, he exhaled softly through his nose. "How did you hear about your assignment, or duty, or whatever we are calling it? What do you think?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam let his insistence of Remi's abilities go for the moment, but he would not hesitate to stress just how amazing they were should the subject come up again.

As Remi spoke of Ianto living in the woods he looked back out to them, wondering if by any chance the man was listening to them speak - probably not, though. He had learnt in the last year life was rarely like a storybook, where characters were always coincidentally in the right place at the right time. "Perhaps that's...good? Maybe he'll come back one day, once he's explored."

He listened to Remi describe the assignment of his new role anxiously, unsure of what to make of the news. Did The Voice know he had this opposing force set up against him already? It felt deeply unfair, that something else would come up to divide him further from his non-Ascended friends. "The Voice asked me to do it, when I visited her shrine." He decided to leave out the whole snake-in-the-Greatwood-thing (because that was just ryan being dumb).

"I..think I am going to explore for her and set out the portals, if I can. She has assured me she has made it so there cannot be another Blight and...I want to help her. I don't see how it can be bad, to connect everyone to each other. It seems like the Old Gods are just jealous and bitter, honestly." Sam shrugged, not quite looking at Remi. "Who...else was chosen? Or is it just yourself?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Perhaps." Remi agreed, his heart still listing sadly, tugging down with melancholy musings.

"Nice of her to ask." Lacing his fingers together and putting them behind his head, Remi stared up at the sky with a thoughtful expression on his face. "For all that everyone says about her...at least she does speak to you. We heard about all of this in a dream. No one asked us. We were simply...given the task." And had he been asked? He would have immediately declined.

"Oh?" That was interesting news. "Other than the blight and what happened with the fae—" At this Remi gave his friend a rather troubled look before continuing, "—I mean, nothing bad seems to have happened yet." You know, when you intentionally exclude all the bad things, it wasn't so bad.

"Phoebe, Jigano, and Amalia."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
It was nice to hear Remi defend the Voice, even if he was not entirely convinced. Sam knew his friend would never Ascend and did not need him to to love him, but it meant the world to him to know that Remi was willing to see past the bitterness and anger of the people around them, to consider that Sam knew what he was doing. "Whenever we do anything...well, most of the time, she tells us about it and answers questions. I feel like I can talk to her about anything."

The Blight really was the one sticking point in his faith, but Sam was beginning to feel less conflicted about it as time went on. Of course, Remi had had far more personal stake in the illness with a nearly-dead spouse, so he did not speak on it. "What happened with the Fae..? Oh, the Mathair." Sam sighed and tilted his head side to side, unsure how he felt about that. "The portal is worth more than a tree, right?"

As Remi listed off the names, his face went white. Phoebe and Amalia he did not know so well and Amalia he was already on bad terms with, so he did not mind those names too much; but Jigano? He could have wept. As they had just been putting so much work into rebuilding their friendship, just as they had been working to understand each other on The Voice...here was a wedge between them.

"Do you...think Jigano will take it seriously?" He asked, the sudden upset clear in his voice.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"I think perhaps only Ronin could say the same about Safrin." Remi agreed. The rest of them? Perhaps Pheobe and Frey, but certainly the big gods were a distant lot. Even Ludo seemed capricious with those it liked. "You are lucky to have that relationship, I think. Difficult as it makes things." Obviously Remi couldn't say for sure given he didn't have to experience any of the backlash.

"A tree? I think so. But what about the fae who died? It was their land, after all.."

Hearing the sudden change in tone, Remi frowned at his friend nudging him gently. "Are things still...tense between the two of you?" The bard had still seemed upset with Sam before LongNight, but given all that had occurred during that week, Remi hadn't had a chance to see how the two were getting on. He hadn't had to break up any bookmaker-bard fights, but that was the extent of what he knew. "Can you see him not taking it seriously?" Remi countered with a dry laugh.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
"I feel sometimes..." Sam paused and shifted uncomfortably, admitting this out loud for the first time: "That she is the loving parent I never had as a child." Since his Ascension he had made many mistakes, ones that would have had him beaten and shouted out of his childhood home. But The Voice? She comforted, accepted. Loved.

"Oh." He felt rather stupid for not realising Remi had meant the fallen Fae; perhaps he had not wanted to remember. "I...yes. I have never killed anyone and I never want to. But...I don't know. Those are the things I struggle with sometimes. But its not like the Old God's plans never get anyone killed." His voice was not very confident.

The question about Jigano only made him more squeamish, Sam screwing up his face in thought before giving an answer. "I don't know, really. He's meant to be asking the Old Gods if they would take an Ascended back, because I think he hopes I might leave The Voice. But...in last couple of weeks, I've realised I just can't do that." He sighed, looking to Remi with almost apologetic eyes. "He said he would respect my decision either way but...I'm sure it will still cause problems."

As much as Sam loved Jigano he knew the man had a tendancy to believe his opinion was superior, often to the point of being patronising. He could not see his decision to remain with his Goddess going over smoothly, especially not with this newest development. "So..what is it you're meant to do to protect these portals..? Do you think anyone will try to hurt me?"