[SE] Mudslide on the rocks
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Jigano's once-cheerful outward facade had crumbled beneath the repeated assaults of Caido's trials. He had finally had time to mourn, only for greater challenges still to face him and break him down further.

He was beginning to forget how it felt to truly smile without Rory at his side to chase the shadows from his eyes, and he could not put all the weight of his happiness on one man. It wasn't fair to his lover, and it wasn't healthy for him. 'Healthy' being something of a mythical goal he wasn't sure he would ever reach now, but he still had to try.

It said something about the Hollowed Grounds - and about himself, no doubt - that he decided to try and find some joy in playing with the recently-arrived Memory Mud. Dressed in Rory's old castoffs (rather too short in the arms and legs, in point of fact) and barefoot for a change, he was using his earth magic to try and corral a large puddle of the protesting muck into a sort of rough chute that lead down a small hill and into the Oasis. Isuma sat high on a tree branch above, watching and chortling as the contrary goop insisted on staying right where it was, reluctant to coat the slide that Jigano was in the process of making for it.

Age: 315 | Height: | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Silphi Away
Change author:
MP: 0
It had been Aonghas’ intention to go for a solitary wander through the land that was still so foreign to him. There seemed to be a new buzz of energy in Caido seemingly brought on by the changing of the seasons but rather than throw himself into any further excitement, he had headed out in direction of the Glade.

The weather hadn’t been so dreich the past few days but the ground was mushy from the melting snow and it only seemed to get worse when you hit grass underfoot. A little bit of mud didn’t really bother him though and he was happy to press on, taking in more of the Glade with every squelching step he took. It was rather lovely, now that small buds began to tentatively spread along the shrubs he passed by. Looking up towards the treetops Aonghas found himself appreciating being surround by scenery that was almost familiar to him. Finding peace in the sounds of nature around him nature that wasn’t keen to kill him, they would only be interrupted by the sound of his boots being sucked under the thick oozing mud.

The uneven and slippery terrain underfoot caused him to slide a bit and brought his attention back down to his footing. The last thing he wanted to do was to trek back to the Launceleyn Manor absolutely covered in the stuff due to a fall. It was then he caught a figure from the corner of his eye. He picked his way over as carefully as he could and stood for a moment to try and figure out what it was the familiar white haired sage was doing.

”You having some bother there, Jigano?” Aonghas asked, craning his neck around to try and get a better look at what the Loreseeker was up to. He still wasn't entirely sure.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He hadn't been expecting company, and for once Isuma hadn't alerted him to the arrival of the newcomer. The gryphlet was too distracted laughing at him to keep her usual lookout, and the bard found himself having to bite back a startled noise, turning it into a cough instead as he turned to look at the polite Outlander he'd met during LongNight. He paused in his work to look the other man over, taking in his relatively clean clothes and less-clean boots, and realized his own shabby and muddied appearance was far from his best. Then again, he hadn't been expecting company, so it wasn't really his fault...

It was just unfortunate to be seen like this by someone who he'd already made a bad impression on, he feared.

"Not a bother, particularly," he called back, hoping he was using the word in the same way that Aonghas seemed to be. "The Memory Mud is being a bit stubborn, but that's nothing new." As if to punctuate his words the goop in its makeshift corral of rocks and branches produced a sound that was astonishingly like a loud belch. "You might want to watch your step, though. In spring the Oasis tends to overflow a bit and the area around it can get a bit swampy." Some areas more than others, but Aonghas was on his way to stepping in a particularly deep mud sink if he didn't watch his step.

"What brings you out this way, Aonghas? Hunting Magna Vermis for the party?"

Age: 315 | Height: | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He had yet to notice the snow-white Gryphon who had been chortling at her master high in the branches above. He had however noticed Jigano’s rather bold attire for this environment- although he did his best not to make his wandering gaze too obvious. When the white haired sage had called back over his shoulder, Aonghas met what he said with a perplexed smile. It still wasn’t quite clear what exactly he was trying to do. Then again if it was for any kind of personal Guild Master reason, he was careful not to pry to much.

”Memory Mud…” Aonghas repeated absent-mindedly as he looked down at the innocuous substance beneath him. ”There really are some puzzling names for things here. I’ll need to try and remember- Urgh!” Foolishly, he hadn’t been watching where he brought his foot down and was startled by a cold ooze that began to creep up over the top of his boot as he lopsidedly began to sink into the marsh. A mad scramble ensued as he tried to free himself from the grubby grasp of the mud.

”Magna Vermis? The party?” The fragmented questions came out incoherently as Aonghas focused more of his energy in liberating himself from his mucky captor.

With a shake of the leg he was freed and he turned his attention back to Jigano. ”Oh, no I hadn’t been. I’d wanted to just get out an go for a walk. Take in Caido’s sights. Braw day for it don’t you think?” He said completely rhetorical and with a tone he himself found amusing. His feet were now planted firm on a more steady mound of dirt and a pleased smile spread on his face.

”Wait, the party?" A shake of his blonde curls brought him back to his senses. ”Fiat Lux? I should be gathering something for Fiat Lux?” Taking better care now to watch his footing he made his way closer to the Loreseeker.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Oh, they make more sense than you'd expect," Jigano hid his grin as Aonghas found one of those swampy areas he'd been trying to warn him about. "If you can coax it into a particular shape it'll hold it - 'remembering' it - for a good long while." Getting it into that shape in the first place, though, could take some doing.

If the other man had been closer, Jigano would have used his magic to help him out. As it was, Aonghas proved able to rescuing himself - albeit with far muddier feet, and the bard held his words so the blond could focus on his escape. That, and he had to hold on to and hide his laughter at the undignified scramble as the other man joined him in undignified muddiness.

"Braw?" he couldn't help but ask when Aonghas was once more master of his own fate. "A bit on the cool side, but it's the warmest day we've had since Deepfrost. Stay in the sun and you shouldn't get too chilled." Of course, sliding into the oasis and ending up soaking wet to wash the mud off might change that, but Jigano had ways to dry himself quickly and then retreat to a furred form to warm up again that made it much easier to pursue.

Once the other man was safely settled above the mud Jigano smiled again as he continued to adjust the dirt-slide he was making, using his magic to nudge rocks out of the path of the little chute he'd been excavating by hand and magecraft. "It's the polite thing to do," Jigano agreed with a slight smile for his fellow Outlander. "Everyone chips in something. Decorations, food, music, helping to build the stalls for games and food and drink... the Magna Vermis are usually only found in Flowerbirth, and are quite popular grilled or fried and served on a stick." There were some nearby - there usually were, this time of year - but since they were still and quiet Jigano let them be for the moment."

Change author:
It was at Jigano’s explanation that Aonghas finally understood what he had meant about the mud being stubborn. From what he could see the mud in front of the bard had been moved around as if to clear a path down the slope to the water. He looked to the mass that had been gathered and enclosed by the rocks and wondered exactly how long Jigano had been here. Still he breathed a small laugh at the ridiculous goop and it’s crude sound effects.

The warmest day since Deepfrost, perhaps, however Aonghas had been cold since arriving through the portal. Getting used to temperature in the first place was odd enough and even now he felt the gooseflesh on his arms under his tunic. "I'll keep in mind to stay in the sun's watchful eye, then." He chuckled, ignoring the urge suddenly to pull the cloak he was wearing tighter around his neck.

He was distracted by Jigano’s show of magic, moving the earth - well as much as it would allow - around him to add to the chute. Aonghas watched in quiet awe, as Jigano spoke. He had seen a little magic use here, mostly in the Temple during LongNight. But even just seeing it used for something as little as shifting rocks made him feel wholly unremarkable here.

Putting that thought completely to the back of his head and keeping his expression in check,  he looked to Jigano and gave him an appreciate smile. ”I’m sure even I could manage that for the festival. I’ve done my fair share of hunting and can be a dab hand with a hammer.” He wasn’t, but how hard could it be to throw up a stall, right?    

”For now though it looks like you could use some help, mind if I give you a hand?” Aonghas said thoughtfully, and didn’t wait for the response before he had rolled up the sleeves on his tunic and took a large step over to assist with picking up some rocks at the mouth of the slide.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The chute was fairly normal dirt and mud at the moment, or at least it wasn't squirming around or trying to hold any unnatural shapes. The memory mud in its little corral had been coaxed up to the top of the hill by dint of magic and bribery in equal measure, but it seemed eager to be on its way to someplace else, or at least a different shape than its enclosure forced on it. Whether it would work the way Jigano hoped he didn't know, and he winced as the mud spat a stick at him, turning to scowl at the sassy substance.

Aonghas's willingness to help brought a smile to Jigano's face as he concentrated on his magic, but his confidence was likely going to get him in trouble, and that made the bard's grin widen further. The other man might be in for a surprise when he met his first Magna Vermis face to... well, whatever served the great worms for faces. He hoped he would be around to see it, but for the moment the task at hand was taking all of his attention.

"I'd appreciate it!" he agreed fervently as the other man set to work shifting the rocks that were beyond the reach of Jigano's magic. "I'm trying to make a slide here... have you ever seen otters playing on a riverbank? Something like that. I hope you know how to swim!" Assuming Aonghas would join him in the fun, but given how muddy he was going to get helping with the rocks, he might as well test the slide out when it was done, and get cleaned up in the Oasis in the process.

"I haven't had a chance to ask you about yourself yet," he said after a moment's pause, giving a rueful shake of his head at his lapse in hospitality. "What was your world like, compared to Caido? And what sort of trade did you hold?" Probably not a nobleman, or he wouldn't have dived right into helping to shift muddy rocks, but Jigano had been wrong before.

Change author:
Aonghas paused what he was doing, his eyes tracing the trajectory of the stick and then cast a disapproving look at the mud as if it were a misbehaving child. He turned back to shifting the small rocks as Jigano began to explain exactly what the end goal of this landscaping venture was to be.

Aonghas beamed at the invitation ”I love swimming!” The exuberant declaration left his mouth before he had time to filter it to sound less stupid. He cleared his throat hastily. ”Aye, and a fine pair of giant otters we’ll make” he followed up with a short laugh. Whizzing down a mudslide full pelt into water wasn’t completely alien to him but it had certainly been a long time since he’d done anything like that for fun. The connection he had in his own world to his Loch was gone, along with any other magical aspects he had. He looked down at the water fondly. But boy, he sure had missed the stuff.

Leaning forward he made an effort to try and smooth out some of the muck at the top of the chute by using his hand and forearm as a scoop to bring the mud towards him. However it refused to budge, and he became entangled in a quiet struggle.

”Ah no, I suppose you haven’t… But I guess during our last conversation wasn’t exactly the best time for it.” Their encounter a the Temple hadn’t been the ideal occasion for sharing for a number of reasons. The smile Aonghas offered Jigano was a remorseful one, aware of what he had lost that night. He had thought to ask how he was doing, but would give him the courtesy of answering his question first.

”My world is… was… fairly similar to Caido. We have magic, but it wasn’t practised as openly as it is here. It’s actually good to see such tolerance. The magic where I am from is mostly used by creatures born to wield it. People were often afraid as it wasn’t always used with the best intentions…” Realising he was getting a bit overly serious, he switched his tone to a lighter one.

”We never had anything quite like Memory Mud though.” He shot a grin over his shoulder at the bard.

”And as for trade… I was son to a Laird of a small estate, so no real marketable trade unfortunately. My obligations were fairly light so I preferred to travel.” It was second nature to him now, giving that spiel. He saw no reason to change his story here in Caido.

”What about you, are you native to Caido? What brought you to the Loreseekers Guild?” Aonghas made to turn around to give Jigano his full attention when he noticed that the mud he had left his hand resting in had been slowly inching its way up his forearm.

”Oi!” He shook his arm vigorously.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He hadn’t expected such an enthusiastic response, but it surprised a laugh of agreement from him, along with the visual that Aonghas provided to go along with it. ”A bit bigger than the usual types,” he agreed with a grin.

He thought he’d safely corralled the magical mud in its container, but it seemed some had been hiding on the chute already, just waiting to ambush Aonghas, and Jigano grinned as he continued his work, eyeing the length of the chute and nodding to himself as he saw no more rocks along its path. He extended his senses into the earth to make sure, distracting himself from the other man’s reminder of the unfortunate meeting in the Temple that had gone so poorly. ”I do apologize for that,” he said quietly. ”I was not in a good place, but I shouldn’t have taken my grief out on you and Amun.” Mostly Amun, really, but it was still unfortunate that Aonghas had been forced to witness it.

At the mention of magical tolerance the bard snorted, settling back on his heels to eye the corralled Memory Mud and then the top of the slide, considering the best way to dump it, given the haphazard nature of the earth-and-branch container he’d slapped together for it. ”We haven’t had anything quite like it before this year either, from what I’ve studied.” He reached for the earth beneath the Memory Mud, container and all, and tugged experimentally, rolling the earth towards him. The flimsy construction fell apart at the miniature earth-wave, but it stayed intact long enough to hold the mud until Jigano could lift the ground and tip the goop into the top of the chute where it clung stubbornly rather than oozing down. ”And, ah, magic here isn’t quite as tolerated as all that. It’s actually quite frowned upon by those who were born here and the gods of this world. So many outlanders have arrived who view it as a matter of course that it can skew perception a bit, though, especially since outlanders tend to flock together. Ah… you might want to get out of the way,” he suggested, a mischievous grin on his face as he rolled up his sleeves.

”And no, I’m an Outlander as well, though I’ve been here over a year now. And I made the Loreseekers Guild,” he added with a laugh that held a complexity of pride and pain. As soon as Aonghas was out of the way Jigano ran at the top of the slide, hitting the Memory Mud with his body and dragging it down along the chute to coat it as he went. The bard’s undignified whoop of laughter ending in a splash as he slid into the shallow – and very cold! – waters of the Oasis with a splash.

Change author:
Aonghas watched quietly as Jigano collected himself, not realising he was using his earth magic and just assuming he no longer wished to think of LongNight. ”You don’t have to apologise. We tend to forget ourselves when struck with such loss.” Grief was certainly not something easily ignored. Nor was it something that made you act rationally. His ending up stranded on the other end of a mystical portal was proof of that. But he said no more on the subject, believing it to be Jigano's wish.

Outlanders flocked together… Well, that certainly made sense to him. Of the Outlanders he had met, most seemed quite brazen with flaunting their magic and that was most likely due to the familiarity of it within the company they kept. Then at the mention of the Gods, Aonghas couldn’t help the quiet scoff he let out. He rememembered something Loren had said to him when he first arrived… Something to do with him being Accepted and more likely to be in the Gods favour. However that wasn’t something he was champing at the bit to test out.

He felt his expression go all broody again and quickly corrected it as Jigano began preparing for launch. Still down on his haunches he quickly skittered backwards out of the way of the chute and watched the bard commit to the slide with all the reckless abandon of an overgrown puppy. It was hard not to laugh watching the tall man hit the shallow water with an enticing splash - it looked absolutely ludicrous.

”Good form!” Aonghas called after him, through his chuckling.

Standing up he pulled off his cloak and immediately began bunching it up in a ball- before remembering it was a gift and should be treated as such, and unfurled the bunch to fold it properly to place on the unmuckiest patch of ground closest to him. Awaiting no further invitation he followed suit down the slide after taking a good running start and going down on his back with his knees drawn up. The same satisfying splash punctuated his laughter when he hit the water.

”Jings! That’s cold!” His voice was almost a shriek when the chill of the oasis drenched him through every layer.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Aonghas's scoff at the gods earned a raised brow and a faint smile. The young laird wasn't the first to disbelieve in the Powers That Be that worked unsettlingly closely with the mortals of Caido, and perhaps he'd be lucky enough to evade their notice for a while. "Keeping a healthy distance from them isn't a bad idea," he said with a crooked smile that held more rue than humor. "They can be a capricious lot. They can grant great power... but they're quick to curse those who don't measure up, too." He'd never thought to view magic as a curse, but what he'd endured before his own recent talents had crawled through the cracks in his soul... well. He wasn't sure the price had been worth the end result, even now.

This wasn't meant to be a day for brooding bitterness or fresh regrets, however. There was a quick and easy way to distract himself from both, and it involved a run, a dive, and an utter lack of his precious dignity. The Memory Mud was dragged along to coat the chute, settling into place with a surprised (pleased?) squelching along its length, and Jigano ended up in the drink. The shallows were brief at best, the Oasis quickly turning deep and dark beyond the edge of the rain-swollen shoreline, and Jigano surfaced with a gasp as he suddenly found himself floundering in deeper water than he expected.

He managed a wave at the compliment, then hurriedly swam back to the edge and slogged ashore, reaching up to squeeze his braid with a teeth-chattering grin as Aonghas joined him after all. A rich laugh rang out - the first in he couldn't remember how long - as the blond surfaced with a shout. "Snowmelt will do that," he agreed, grinning broadly as he jogged back up the hill to keep warm. "Did it get this cold where you're from?" Perhaps, like Melita, he was from a desert area? Either way, Jigano wasted no further time before taking a second run at the slide, yelping in surprise as the Memory Mud seemed to push him along, making him go far faster than his initial trip, and shooting him out even further into the water at the end.

Change author:
A healthy distance was exactly what Aonghas intended to keep from the Gods. The chip on his shoulder about the Gods in his own world was getting too large for him to ignore as it was without him having to deal with a whole new pantheon. Even in the little time he had spent in Caido it was blatantly clear the deities here played a little closer to the mortals than they ever had done back in his own realm. He let what Jigano said pass over him without further comment. The bard seemed wary, or at least not an outward advocate for heresy, but vocalising his own distaste for the Gods had never been a wise idea.

The cold waters seemed to knock the air from his lungs as he surfaced, hearing Jigano’s question and not immediately being able to answer Aonghas nodded fervently. Deciding the best thing to do would be to acclimatise to the temperature he dunked himself down to his neck and watched as Jigano made for the shore. The waters of the Oasis felt like the long missed embrace of a loved one… welcoming him home. He closed his eyes and his mouth curled into an almost pained smile as he allowed himself to completely sink under the freshwater. He tried to linger as long as he could, to recapture the feeling of home but forgetting, of course, that he no longer had the luxury of breathing under water. He resurfaced to the sight of Jigano flying down the chute much faster than the first time and thrashed out of the way.

Looking between where he had last seen the flecks of white hair and the chute with the broadest smile on his face all Aonghas could think was, that looked fun. Turning with a chuckle he began to wade his way back to the water's edge and back up to the chute. When reaching the top of the slope and running his hands through his sopping wet hair he looked down, finally answering the bard’s question in the manner it deserved. ”Aye it got this cold. So far I can say our seasons seem to match up so far.” Although two seasons in, he wasn’t certain.

”What of your land? Where you a Loreseeker there too?” He felt it polite to return in a similar vein of questioning. It wasn’t a term he had come across before, a Loreseeker, but he was sure he would learn many new terms from the Outlanders especially.

Sizing up the chute and taking another run for it, his feet sinking in quite deeply into the muck as he went, he decided to change tactics and go down on his front. The mud deciding to retain the same push as before and he shot down with the same velocity as Jigano had. Even in the thralls of fun as he went down Aonghas felt a deep pain just above his foot.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
It grew suspiciously silent behind him and Jigano looked over the waters of the Oasis for long seconds, wondering whether Aonghas was alright, or if he'd been pulled beneath the surface of the Oasis. The deep water was pure, but could hide dangers in its depths... but the fastest way back into it was still the chute, and the Memory Mud seemed thoroughly content (could mud be content?) in its new home - and quick to move interlopers right along, which suited Jigano just fine.

A wet blond head emerged as he began his slide, and Jigano let himself enjoy the ride, no longer worried. He still surfaced as quickly as he could, though, knowing better than to let himself sink too deeply into the waters that grew increasingly colder the further down he went. The surface air was downright balmy in comparison, and he blew cold water from his nose and shook his bangs back, trying not to wheeze as he struck out for shore a little ways behind Aonghas. At least the newcomer was no stranger to the cold, though the question he asked in turn, earned a crooked smile.

"Of a sort. I was an oracle of the domain of Lore, of a type called a 'lore keeper' because I was as much at home gathering spoken knowledge as written information. Which is why I spent most of my time wandering as a bard," he admitted with a chuckle. "Bards were welcome a lot more places than oracles were, generally." He climbed the hill more slowly, giving Aonghas time to size up his run and then waiting for the other man to surface before he began his own dive, not wanting to slam into his new acquaintance when things were going well.

Change author:
Hitting the water the second time hadn’t been as much of a shock to the system as the first time round but Aonghas wasn’t any more comfortable with the temperature. His head popped up quicker this time but again, he was in no such hurry to get out so he just bobbed there for a moment.

”An oracle?” He asked with some surprise. ”You had divine foresight?” He had heard stories of few Druids in his own world that had such a power however he tended to stay away from the priests. He didn’t have much love them.

Slowly he began to float back over to dry land. He wasn’t sure but he had thought he felt a bad twinge in his ankle when pushing himself through the mud on the run up and felt he best check it. Reaching the edge he looked over his shoulder. ”You said you were performing at the festival, what do you play?”

As soon as Aonghas asked the question he had sank his foot down into the soft marsh on the bank and instantly felt pain. Putting too much of his weight on the step he buckled immediately and went down hard, palms flat out on the dirt below him. He only took a moment’s pause before getting himself out of his undignified position and turned himself around so he was now sitting on the slope with his leg drawn up. He placed both hands on his ankle and winced. Curse this pitifully frail human body.