[SE] Putting down roots
Dante Steelson
Nurse apprentice

Age: 22 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Dyn Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
i shut my eyes and all the world drops dead
Dante hadn't had a chance to explore much of Caido past seeing what he had rushed past while on his way into the temple. Longnight and monsters hardly left any time for sightseeing if he didn't want to end up as a midnight snack. As intimidating as arriving in a new world happened to be, he'd rather stick around to get used to who new home before being swallowed whole, thanks.

Now that the whole endless night thing had passed, and the sun was finally starting to poke her beautiful face out once more, Dante had to get out of the temple. He had too much energy to remain cooped up inside for more than a few hours at a time and frankly, the idea of dismantling the building brick by brick and rebuilding it just to keep his hands busy had occurred to him towards the latter half of Longnight. Sure, he had Clemente now (thank god) but the two of them together would surely only make a teardown and rebuild effort go quicker than before.

As it was he'd taken some seeds from Evie's makeshift greenhouse within the temple, her promise to teach him more about the local flora playing in his head as he tossed the seeds in the palm of his hand. If Dante was anything then he was impatient, already itching to learn more about Caido now that he lived here for the foreseeable future. As for the very present moment, it seemed in need of some flowers. He'd taken the seeds as an excuse to go for a walk, throwing a smile and a wave at anyone that happened to glance at him on his way through the settlement. But now, at the end of the lane, at the edge of the largely dilapidated buildings, he found himself kneeling alongside the path.

Sure they may have been an excuse to get outside but it didn't mean he wasn't interested in actually helping the community around him, even if it just meant planting a few seeds along the walkway. With his knees muddied by a mix of melting snow and thawing earth, Dante held the seeds in one hand as he shoved his thumb into the dirt in small rows, creating small homes for the seeds.

"Okay, you're going to go in here and I know it's still a little cold," Dante dropped one seed in a hole and covered it with dirt before moving to the next one. "But it'll warm up, and you're going to grow up big and strong! Just keep reaching for the sun and all that."

dante

Coding base by Odd!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
REXANNA
in the right heaven-yellow light,
The waning sun, the purple hues on the horizon, the feeling of the chill in the air – despite not really exactly feeling it, is enough for Rexanna to manage to get out of her home. It feels safe, like she’s not going to combust the second she steps outside, but gods it’s been difficult without her sight to determine what the day and night cycles were. She’d done her best this far, though.

And now that her arms and wrists work, that her face is mostly put back together aside from her eyes, she ties the bandana tight around the top of her face – adorned with the splattering of stars and moons, a sapphire blue like her eyes had once been, she steps outside of her home and begins to walk down the side of the street – slow at first, hoping not to bump into anyone.

She doesn’t, really, not until she hears a voice to the side she isn’t expecting. It sounds young and light, and she’s not entirely sure what the boy is doing, but she pauses just enough to observe without her sight, head angled down toward the sound before she realizes it’s probably a little awkward. “Hi, what’re you doing?” She asks quietly, no sense of threat or anything accompanying her words other than a soft smile.

Should he look up, he’d probably find that she can’t see what he’s doing, but that she is curious.
anything could be holy enough
to save you
Dante Steelson
Nurse apprentice

Age: 22 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Dante hadn't realized how late it had gotten with the subdued presence of the sun having dipped beneath the horizon while he was preoccupied with finding the perfect spot to plant the seeds. His back had started to ache from where he remained bent over, methodically planting the seeds one by one, continuing his verbal affirmations between each seed. They all deserved a little love with the new season making itself known with a bright night sky, finally clear of the snow clouds that had been around since he'd arrived.

"And you, you're going to grow up big and strong too, just reach for the—" He almost jumps out of his skin when he hears a voice beside him, so engrossed in his task at hand that he was oblivious to her approach until she speaks. "Whoa— huh? Me?" Though the light has dimmed his eyes have adjusted to the lack of light and taking in the woman above him causes his breath to catch.

While he'll never forget his devoted love of Evie's beauty, this woman was just as striking with her dark hair framing near-flawless skin that seemed to glow in the approaching hues of the night. Scarring was evident but Dante was more drawn to the bandana covering her eyes at night. If Dante believed in specters he'd swear this was a visitation.

"Uh, I'm planting some seeds I found in the temple. I'm not sure what they are but I'm hoping they'll brighten up this side of town a little bit after all the blood and... Monsters..." Dante trailed off with a shrug, patting the ground where he'd already planted a few. "I just needed to get outside, honestly! I don't know how you guys stay cooped up like that every year."

dante

Coding base by Odd!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
His gentleness with what he works with is endearing to Rexanna, as she tilts her head and watches before she interrupts. She can’t see that she startles him, but she can hear that he’s likely crouched, and so she crouches too as he questions if it’s him she’s talking to. And she nods, unable to see him but able to pinpoint his basic location based off his voice and their closeness. She’s likely looking dead at him, a soft smile playing on her lips. “Yes you.” Amusement lingers briefly before she tilts her head.

When he answers her, after a moment of likely looking in surprise (she wonders if the bandana has slipped somewhat, unable to feel it adequately) she listens to what he plans on doing. “Ooh.” She begins, turning her head toward where she thought she’d heard him planting said flowers, reaching out delicately with soft hands to try and feel for the upturned dirt and evidence of planting. “They absolutely will brighten it up. What a wonderful thought.” She cheers, turning her head back toward him. “The monsters are pretty nasty things, did you stay inside all week? It's the safest place to be.” She doesn’t know if telling him that the monsters caused her blindness.

He continues to trail off, and she smiles brighter. “It’s not so bad with friends.” She shrugs easily as well. “This year I slipped out though, ended up at the Guildhall only to go back with the rest of them when it burned down.” She admits thoughtfully, a chimed sound leaving her throat at that before she shakes her head. “Anyway, got any extra seeds?” She asks, wanting to help him brighten it up with his instruction.

I’m Rexanna by the way. Who are you?” Because she can’t see him, but she’s infinitely intrigued.
to save you
Dante Steelson
Nurse apprentice

Change author:
It doesn't dawn on him until she's feeling the ground in front of them that the blindfold might obscure her vision, especially at night. Duh. Reaching forward, he hesitates just a moment at touching a stranger that might not be able to even see him, but regardless he gently takes her hand in his to guide her fingers to the holes he'd dug earlier.

But she wasn't really a stranger if they introduced themselves to one another, right?

"Rexanna? That's a pretty name. Fitting for someone like you." He takes a moment to dig through his pockets, full of more lint than seeds at that point in the evening, but he pulls out a small handful with a quiet shout of triumph at his find. "My name's Dante. Evie found me at the Spire just before Longnight started so I didn't really get a chance to explore until just recently. But I found Clementine here, so I guess it's not all bad. You're right, it is better with friends." A small smile finds its way to his lips, voice softening at the mention of his best friend as he pauses, one hand balled in a fist around the seeds and the other steadying his weight as he shifted his weight from heel to toe.

Clearing his throat to rid his demeanor of the obvious fondness when referring to the other boy, he continued, "I heard about the guild though; that's a bummer." It didn't seem like the monster hunter guild had done a great job of being monster hunters if their guild burned down during Longnight, but hey, what did he know.

"I have a handful of seeds left though, here," He takes her hand, turning her palm gently towards the sky before placing the seeds he had left into her upturned hand. "I already dug some holes, so you can use those or make your own if you want if that's easier. I figured since Evie had these they should grow up nice and pretty. I hope." If he took after his mother, a green thumb wasn't something he was going to inherit.

dante

Coding base by Odd!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
Honestly, she doesn’t expect him to touch her. But when he does, she stills momentarily, allowing him to guide her hand to the places he’s dug, listening as he repeats her name and a soft smile crosses her face. “Thank you.” A cheerful response as she hears him explain his own name. He mentions Evie, and Rexanna can recall a fierce red head that had helped Wessex and her fix up the Theskyra house, and she smiles softly at the memory.

But when he mentions Clemente here, her head tilts toward him with an even brighter smile. “Clem!” She repeats cheerfully. “I found him at the Spire. He lives in my old house.” At least, he had before LongNight. He’s her favorite, so far, taken under her wing when it came to figuring out the Ascended. A bracelet that has a small eclipse on it was granted to the boy, one that matches a small charmed necklace she wears over her scars.

Is Clemente from your world?” She asks suddenly, figuring with the wording that he had found Clemente here likely meant some form of importance to the boy. At the mention of the Guildhall, though, Rexanna nods in agreement. “It is a shame. But they can rebuild if they want to. It won’t be the same, but… At least everyone made it out okay.” And her, blind as she was.

She lets him guide her palm open and feels the seeds enter her palm. A quiet nod is given to the boy with a soft nostalgic smile as she hears him ramble, as she hears him speak of the plants growing pretty. “I’m sure they’ll grow beautifully.” She agrees, reaching for some of the holes he had dug, placing the seeds in a couple of the holes carefully to ensure she isn’t dumping a bunch into one section, before she starts to cover them.

Evie is very kind. I met her not that long ago, actually!” She agrees, a chimed laugh of amusement leaving her, smile bright and wide, fangs on full display with the gesture. “I don’t know very much about her though.
to save you
Dante Steelson
Nurse apprentice

Change author:
"You know Clem?" Dante perks up immediately at that, sitting up straighter as he dumps the last of the seeds he has into a hole, forgetting them once safely patted down into the ground. Any mention of his best friend has never failed to brighten his mood despite the usual negative connotations it would carry where they came from. He's certainly more interested in his other half in comparison to a handful of seeds that may or may not grow (despite his best efforts). "Yeah, I followed him here on accident. Well, sorta. I didn't know the portal would spit me out here but I was purposefully following him."

Clemente had mentioned someone like him having taken care of him when he arrived. This must be her and Dante can't deny the relief that lifts a weight from his shoulders he hadn't realized he'd been carrying. Though they'd just met, her demeanor was soft. She was kind, and Dante had immediately trusted her despite the initial ghost scare. Which aside her ethereal appearance, really wasn't her fault.

"So you're Ascended, right? Evie's Abandoned, so I only know Clem as ascended but I don't really get it. How does that happen? Are you born like that? 'Cause I know Clem wasn't but he had similar abilities where we came from. And I came through just the same as I was." He knows he's asking a lot of questions at once, but Clemente had hardly known more than he did the last time they'd spoken. As his best friend, it was obviously his duty to know everything he can. Knowledge equated power even if just the power to help should Clem ever get hurt, he'd know more than he did now.

Remembering their task at hand after his small tangent, he pulls the flask of water he'd taken with him from the temple to water the seeds they'd planted together. He presses one hand to the soil to ensure he's not overwatering the seeds, drowning them before they even get a chance to grow. "Evie healed me when I first got here though." He laughs weakly for a moment as he rolls back on his heels to sit up, resting his arms on his knees as he looks over to Rexanna once more. "Clem always had my back at home. Even here I'm too weak to protect him, and without Evie, I'd probably be dead by now. So I guess the flowers are a sorry excuse for helping out around here, but at least it's something. And you found me, so that's pretty cool, right?" Dante is notorious for rambling when he gets started on something though he continues to fidget with stray strings on his pants, pulling them out without much thought to his actions or the constant stream of words pouring from his motor mouth.

dante

Coding base by Odd!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
You know Clem?” The question sparks her dark head to bob in amusement and happiness, a tinkling laugh that leaves her throat in a quiet chime. “I do. I took him in when he arrived.” She announces, surprised somewhat that the boy hadn’t mentioned her – or if he had and Dante just hadn’t put two and two together. Or perhaps the boy hadn’t given his friend her true name, and she instead tries to capture his attention, tapping to the necklace she wears that would resemble the bracelet she’d never seen Clemente take off.

The Penumbra.

But he explains how he arrived – following Clemente until he ended up here, though perhaps a bit later than Clemente arrived, perhaps at the same time? And just that they hadn’t gotten together since then? Hadn’t crossed paths? Had she not been here almost a year, she’d wonder if her ex-husband had done the same. But she hadn’t heard any words of Calstron since her arrival, defeating him in her magical attempt at making it here despite the odds.

Clever.” She responds, smiling as she plants the seeds he had given her based off of his instruction, a small amount of approval given to the boy to be undetected as such. It was hard to do, but it seemed as though Dante had it down. His question, next, however, distracts her enough to turn her head toward him. “Oh, when you arrive it just… Kind of picks based off of who you were before.” Or so she’s been told. “I was abandoned, too, when I arrived. I chose to Ascend by talking to the Voice.” She says softly, smiling lightly at the thought.

Clemente told me he was similar to the Ascended back on your previous world, that’s probably why he came in as one.” A quiet shrug. It made sense to her that it would’ve picked the thing closest, how Deimos and her and Hotaru had arrived Abandoned, based off of the magic in their blood. How Kiada had arrived Attuned based off of the connection to Khairi she had. Things of that nature.

The mention of Evie being a healer, however, captures her attention as he goes to water the plants. She pulls her hands back to sit along her lap as she listens. “That is pretty cool.” She agrees quietly, though a part of her is saddened to hear that he thinks he’s too weak. “But just because you can’t physically protect someone doesn’t make you weak. You followed Clem here, right? Seems like you’ve got a pretty powerful mind there.” She admits, giving him a bright fanged smile, hoping her optimism and confidence can inspire something similar within him.
to save you