blood in the air
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
whatever comes, let it come
what stays, let it stay
After LongNight, the summoner had avoided the Temple for a bit. However, after his visit with Frey, the place no longer held the darkness it had from that terrible week. So Loren had returned to the place to help tear down the fortifications and let in the light.

Except people had already done some of that work, and had chased the mud out as well. He and Astra walked through the place, and the Launceleyn and the luxere poked their head into every corner. Beatrix and Jace had decided to tag along, and Loren shot the children happy looks every once in a while.

Finally, they arrived in the infirmary. He peered into the cabinets there and was pleased to see they’d been restocked. Astra poked her head under his arm and pressed against his side. Laughing, he placed his hand on her head.

Zariah Beatrix
what goes, let go
LOREN
Beatrix Launceleyn

Age: 25 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
BEATRIX
Beatrix had tagged along because she had nothing better to do, and Loren had promised the respite of inside away from the yucky mud. That had been enough of a reason to venture out for her. Plus there was Astra who was very fun to play with when she wasn’t glued to Loren’s side. Which wasn’t often but she was willing to chance it. Jace held her hand and toddled along quietly, the now almost five year old quite steady on his feet. Still very introverted though. As Loren did whatever boring adult stuff he was doing, Beatrix and Jace poked around, simply being nosey.

That’s when she heard the familiar click of heels on the stone floor.

”Mom!” Beatrix shouted happily, racing towards the door, Jace not far behind.
I'm young and I love to be young
I'm free and I love to be free
To live my life they way I want
To say and do whatever I please
Table Code by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ZARIAH
I haven't been falling all this time - I've been flying
Hunting down her children had become a rather aggravating task, but fortunately she did eventually hear whispers about where they might be. It was why she was storming down the halls of the temple so quickly, the click of her heels reverberating off the high ceilings. Fault Zariah all you wished - no seriously, she was a horrible person - but she did love her children in her own twisted way, and thus had missed them.

Hearing Beatrix's shout brought a smile to her lips, and she knelt to hug the girl as she came flying into her arms. "Did you miss me, my sweet?" she said softly, giving her daughter a once over before hugging her son as well. "You've both grown so much. I look forward to hearing what all you have done while I've been away." she said. Hazel eyes then lifted, and lo and behold was none other than Loren.

Her expression fell as she straightened, the oh so familiar mask falling into place. "Well, well...what have we here." she said dryly.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
what stays, let it stay
As the sound of clicking filled the air, Loren frowned and turned to face it, letting the cabinet doors fall shut. Something about it sounded almost predatory, and Astra pressed herself against the back of his knees. ”Shhh. Shhh.” He tried to send a pulse of reassurance through their bond, and continued to make soothing noises. However, the blood drained from his face as Beatrix called out.

He stood there, motionless, as the once-familiar figure appeared. The children ran to Zariah right away, but the summoner stayed where he was. It was only when she smirked that he was released from the spell that had frozen him in place. "Z-Zariah?" He swallowed against the sudden lump in his throat. "You're back." Shifting uneasily from foot to foot, Loren bit his lip as he stared at his cousin.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
ZARIAH
"And you're alive. What a surprise." she said, crossing her arms as her eyes narrowed at him. Zariah glanced toward the Luxere cowering behind him, and resisted the urge to roll her eyes. With a flick of her wrist, a small shock of lightning went off near Astra, and with any luck would hit her. Nothing to do serious damage. Something more like a static shock. "You would bond to such a timid creature. How predictably pathetic." she said, looking back at him with disapproval.

"And really, you've some nerve showing your face around here again, deserter. I'm surprised Edrei hasn't already dealt with you." she said, tone low and dangerous.
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
After the initial shock had worn off, Loren had straightened up to his full height. ”I’m alive, yes.” When Zariah glanced towards Astra, he tensed.

So he was prepared when his cousin flicked her wrist: a thin wall of ice sprang up just in front the luxere, and while Zariah’s lightning blasted a small hole in it, no harm came to Astra. The summoner’s face hadn’t changed and he hadn’t moved from where he stood. ”Don’t do that again.” Although his tone came out evenly and his expression was neutral, his eyes had narrowed.

However, he softened somewhat at his cousin’s next comment. ”Edrei’s dead.” His voice came out softly and gently, and an expression of sorrow crossed his features. ”Beatrix, Jace, Peter, and I are the only Launceleyns left in the Hollowed Grounds.” Taking a deep breath, he let it out in a sigh, before biting his lip. ”I was sick, Zariah” Astra pressed harder against his back, and Loren reached back to place a hand on her head. However, his eyes never left Zariah.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
”Or what?” Zariah said, challengingly, not remotely concerned about the repercussions. This was Loren after all. ”You’ll get mad and run away again? Find somewhere off in the woods to pout at how unfair it is that the Head of the family took a chance on Cyton’s runt and made him Left Hand? Hm?” she snipped, each word a jab despite the calm with which she spoke and held herself.

She did pause briefly at the news Edrei. Dead. It seemed impossible. Edrei was powerful and talented and trained to a fine edge. That she was dead and Loren not seemed entirely unfathomable. ”How?” she asked, brows furrowing. How had this happened? Who needed to pay for her death?

”Sick.” the family head said, unimpressed with that excuse. ”You were sick. Am I to pity you? Am I to quietly forgive your treachery? Despite your constant bemoaning the unfairness of your life I gave you a chance. I changed how we trained for you, I made you Left Hand, I defended you and your position to your father and brother and that is how you repay the sort of kindness you would have never received in Northwind under Colbrande?” she snapped, the rage behind her words building, hazel eyes flaring with her anger and hurt. Sick does not make up for abandoning your family. Sick does not redeem your selfishness. Sick is not a suitable excuse for anything you have done. That is a child’s defense.”
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Remaining where he was, Loren shrugged. ”I’ll kick your ass and throw you in the jail you built.” His tone remained even. Reaching up, he pulled the amulet he wore from around his neck and held it in one hand.

His impassive mask faltered again, and he gave Zariah a sad smile. ”She was eaten by a landshark.” Then, all traces of sorrow disappeared from his face and voice. ”She went down fighting, from all reports. You’re welcome to go try and avenge her.”

Remaining silent in the face of her words, the summoner finally crossed his arms when she finished. ”You’re the one whining like a child.” Then he sighed. ”Besides monologuing, why are you here?” Tilting his head, his expression was quizzical and unimpressed.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah laughed, low and on the verge of maniacal at the sheer audacity of Loren. Kick her ass, huh? Hilarious. ”Says the man who ran away from home because he didn’t like it.” she said, clearly unintimidated by his threat. But when he mentioned the landshark, her eyes flashed with rage. Had it just been a random incident, she would have let it lie. Wild beasts were wild beasts. But that it was a landshark – the same beast that Ronin had insisted they not kill – made her blood boil. The Fallen Star would pay for his cowardice.

”It would be convenient for you if I was whining, wouldn’t it? But just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it whining, I’m afraid.” she said with an amused huff. ”Rather sad you don’t know what it is given how often you do it. But I am here to collect the family and take them to Halo. Neron is Warden there and we’ve a kingdom of order that recognizes our abilities for what they are.” she said, eyes narrowing slightly at him.
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
The corner of Loren’s lips quirked up. ”Yes.” Then he schooled his features into neutrality once more. Again, the look her turned on her was as unimpressed as the one she gave him. "The rest of the family can do as they wish."

He smiled at her, though it didn't reach his eyes. "But Neron can invite me personally. Last I checked, he was in charge of Halo, and didn't welcome me in his kingdom." The smile, fake as it was, dropped away and he lowered his arms to his sides as well. "Is that all?" Raising his eyebrows, he stood there, the very picture of patience and forbearance, though he was tensed and ready for any sign of animosity.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah merely smirked. He had a lot of gall for a traitor. ”I’m his closest advisor, and am still head of this family. He would appease me.” she said, shaking her head slowly. How quickly he forgot how their family functioned. How quickly he was to turn and bite the hand that fed him. The reason he was anything was because she had seen potential, and now here he stood, a traitor and a wretch.

”Oh no. Far from all. Launceleyn traitors do not last long. You know this.” she said, a low tone of warning, picking up Jace. The boy looked between his mother and Loren worriedly and Zariah merely smirked. ”I’ve not time to deal with you now, but your time is coming Loren. Count the days.” she said, turning away. ”Beatrix. Come on. Loren is dead to you now, understand?” she said sharply, beginning to walk away.
Beatrix Launceleyn

Age: 25 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
BEATRIX
Beatrix watched the exchange in horror. The sorts of things Loren was saying to her mother, the Head of the Family, were blasphemous! Outrageous, unfathomable, completely and utterly stupid. Was he trying to get himself killed? Was he trying to make the situation worse? Did he not want to see any of them again? Because as far as she could tell or knew or could fathom, she had no choice in this. Zariah was her mother. She would go wherever she led.

And as her mother turned and gave her orders, Bea paled slightly, swallowing a lump in her throat. But she nodded – what else could a ten year old do in the face of Zariah’s wrath? As Zariah walked away, Bea glanced back at Loren sadly, wide brown eyes misty and lower lip trembling, before quickly following behind her mother.
I'm young and I love to be young
I'm free and I love to be free
To live my life they way I want
To say and do whatever I please
Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Ignoring Zariah, Loren smiled genuinely at Beatrix and Jace, though there was a bit of a sad edge to it, especially when he saw the sorrow on his half-sister’s face. ”Goodbye, you two. I’ll miss you terribly while you stay with Zariah and Neron.” The summoner’s tone was kind and gentle. ”And you’re always welcome to visit and stay with me.” Only then did he lift his eyes to look at his cousin.

He smiled at Zariah too, though it was much smaller, and much sadder. ”You’re still my family, even if you are rejecting me as you claim I once rejected you.” Taking a deep, shuddering breath, when he spoke next, his voice was firm. ”I wish you happiness, Zariah. I really do, though I don’t think you’ll find it on this path.” Clasping his hands behind his back, he watched her depart. Then he bit his lip before calling after her. ”If you change your mind, you know where to find me.”

His features stilled again. ”And remember. You’re only head of the family until someone bests you.” Although Loren’s voice came out without a hint of anger, intimidation, or challenge, it was also absent of all fear. Confidence rang from his voice and his posture.
what goes, let go
LOREN