trained to get along
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Love mends even the broken parts
Neron is. Beatrix and Jace are. Loren gave Remi a sad look. I don’t care what my twin does, though...I had hoped he would choose me over Zariah. Letting out a sad whine, the honey badger curled up on himself. I care about my half-sister and my nephew, though. Guilt bubbled up, and he looked away.

His gaze remained fixed at some point past the alchemist’s shoulder. Then who? You and Ronin? Wessex? The rest of the Ascended? Jigano? Deimos and Amalia? The Launceleyn was honestly curious to hear the answer.

His eyes flicked back to the other man. I showed Beatrix and Jace every kindness I could think of. And then Zariah came home, and they went back to her without a word. Growling at the memory, Loren let his anger flow easily, though it dissipated soon enough, replaced by a weary acceptance. I'm not saying you're wrong. But...I don't know what else to do.

Standing up, he turned in a small circle. A honey badger. Completing his spin, he found himself facing Remi. Hesitating for just a moment, the summoner padded forward and rested his leg on the other man’s knee. I’m sorry. Along with the words, the Launcelyn tried to convey gratitude and affection and sorrow for Remi’s many losses.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059

Remi Abruzzo
& all we are is skin and bone trained to get along

Neron is an adult. And as for Beatrix and Jace? She is their mother..I.. Swallowing, Remi shook his head. On that I really do not know. I am tempted to say they should be allowed to stay with her and choose when they are older, but based on everything you have said, that might be more harmful. But...if it is just them, then fighting Zariah will not win them over to you. They are too young. Remi thought with a light frown. He didn't blame Loren for instantly jumping to violence as a way of besting Zariah, but the longer they spoke, the longer the alchemist firmly believed that it wasn't the answer.

Well, from speaking with Zariah it did not seem as though the borders were closed. Indeed, Wessex did not say that they were. Remi replied, a brow raised slightly. But if it is, yes. We all came together last time to get ourselves out, and we can again. There was a pulse of something dark in the back of Remi's mind as he spoke, something that very much wanted to say we came together. Not you. Because you weren't here. Guiltily the alchemist closed his eyes and swallowed.

Looking up with a surprised expression, the alchemist chuckled slightly without meaning to. Loren...you cannot just expect to be kind to a child and have them chose you over their mother. He said with an incredulous pulse coating his words. Remi hadn't seen Loren with children before, but...for as stiff and icy as the summoner could be, the alchemist wasn't entirely surprised he'd not won himself interim father of the year in Zariah's absence.

Well...talk with Peter. And Neron. And Zariah if you can. Tell her that you are breaking away from the Launceleyn hierarchy and think she should too. Not by fighting or by threatening. What she does with that is her business, but Loren you... The alchemist paused, biting the inside of his lip. This was bordering on territory that felt extremely personal in such a way as it might come across as him having an agenda. He didn't of course, but that didn't make the words any less applicable to how the summoner had occasionally treated the alchemist. ...cannot just force people to do what you want simply because you believe you are right. They are allowed to make their own mistakes. You might wish Neron would choose you over Zariah and he might. But if not? That is his choice.

Not worried about the Launceleyn's closeness—not like this of course—the alchemist's hands instantly went to cup the small skull, his fingers easily making their way through the course fur to softly rub the muscles below. It was a long time ago now. Remi said with a slightly shrug, the cord of their bond now tethered against Remi's mind which was suddenly quite hollow.

Image by Lamreii!

Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Loren was quiet for a long time, in both his mind and body. Then he dredged up memories of his childhood. The fear of failing, and being punished, lashed with magic by those who said they loved him; the silent terror of crying silently in his cell, knowing if he got caught that he’d be hurt more, so he kept his tears as soft as he could manage; somehow worst of all, the sense that he was wrong, that he’d never be enough, that he was useless and worthless and a waste of time and space.

The mental link was thrown wide open, though he didn’t know how much Remi caught. Still, even though it stung less now, remembering it was horrible enough that the honey badger found himself snarling. I do not want another child, another person, to suffer as I did. Then he did his best to banish the dark thoughts.

Unfortunately, he grew sorrowful as the other man’s feelings trickled over. As Remi closed his eyes, the Launceleyn looked away again. It was painful for all of you, though, wasn’t it? Still not able to meet the other man’s gaze, Loren pawed at the ground. So what are you all planning to do?” His thoughts were uncertain, and fingers of fear crept down his spine. It mixed together with the guilt already churning in his gut. I didn’t.

A spark of annoyance flared, though Loren did his best throttle it down. Did you miss the part where Zariah threatened to kill me? And disowned me already? Then, though, the ugly emotions bled out of him with the mental equivalent of a sigh. Remi. I know. But that doesn’t mean his choice doesn’t hurt me. He sent a pulse of resigned agreement. I’ve already spoken to Peter, though not since Zariah returned and he and I have already resolved to try and heal from our pasts and forge a better path. I will try to talk to Neron though. It was clear that the summoner had his doubts about that conversation though.

As the other man’s hands rubbed the honey badger’s muscles, he let out a contented sound and nuzzled against Remi’s knee. However, the budding joy disappeared, though Loren remained where he was. Just because something happened a long time ago doesn’t mean it hurts any less. We both know that. There was an apology in feeling that accompanied those words.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Remi Abruzzo

The alchemist allowed his whatever-friend to bask in the darkened silence for as long as he needed. As he receded down into the murky depths of his memory, Remi tried to be as like a candle as he could; a warmth and a light that the summoner could turn back to, as soon as he was ready. Still, he stayed at a distance. Loren had kept him there long enough that it simply seemed his place, perhaps even more so now that the summoner had someone in his life. Still, Remi waited at the threshold of the Launceleyn's mind. Do you honestly believe she would do that to Jace or Bea? Remi asked, without judgement or skepticism. Once the alchemist had been quite certain that Zariah wouldn't harm children; hers or anyone else's. But of course she'd broken that by threatening Aoife.

Sighing vaguely at the smaller creature, the alchemist nodded with a crooked and sad smile. Yes...but plenty of painful things are necessary. And pain..well. It is not always something to be avoided. He said, shrugging lightly. Conjuring a feather into his hands, Remi twirled it anxiously back and forth as he merely shook his head. You say that as if there has been some meeting between all of us...there has not. I am sure we will just...take things as they come. Though from what I have heard, we are allowed in. And if the ascended can open another portal then so much the better. But ... the conflict seems to be an entirely Launceleyn matter. Remi added, almost a touch warily.

Feeling the darkish thrust of Loren's hostility, Remi raised his eyes. Feathers sprouted in his hair and yet his sea-glass gaze remained calm and gentle. No, I did not. But nor should that necessarily stop you from trying to do the right thing. Besides, it is not as if you are the first person she has threatened, and from what I have seen, no one has yet died. Pausing, the alchemist smirked down at his own hands. I very much doubt she could kill you anyways.

Nodding as Loren continued, Remi's lips twisted thoughtfully. I do not doubt it hurt. But...that does not always mean you can act on it. Indeed, just because Loren was upset didn't immediately imply there was anything at all he could or should do about it.

To the summoner's final comment, the alchemist said nothing. Though his fingers continued to work absently across the honey badger's back, his eyes drifted towards the ceiling as he fought against the slow pull of his own latent wounds, the bite of Loren's decision to try and take the easy route through heartache still fresh.

Image by Lamreii!

the Firebrand

Change author:
Even in the depths of his memories, the Launceleyn wasn’t so lost that he couldn’t send a pulse of appreciation to the alchemist for the warmth the other man was projecting. Loren’s response to the other man’s thoughts was swift and certain. Of course she would. She’s already hurt Beatrix. In fact, she’s more likely to hurt them, because that is the Launceleyn way. The summoner’s anger was back in full force. To hurt our children if they are anything less than perfect. Letting out a little snarl, he lifted his eyes to meet Remi’s. When I worked with Beatrix on her magic, she was terrified of what I might do to her, because Zariah taught her failure brings punishment.

The honey badger rumbled in his chest. You and Ronin have your plans, and you spoke to Jigano, Amalia, and Phoebe at least, so yes, I do think you’ve met with others to discuss how to proceed. And doesn’t allowing another portal to open contradict your orders from the gods? I’m not saying don’t allow it, I’m just concerned Then he stilled, his mind troubled. Do you honestly believe Zariah won’t try to extract some sort of vengeance on those she believed wronged and betrayed her? Even the thought caused rage to simmer deep within.

Perhaps that’s why he snarled again. So, what? I’m just not supposed to fight back if she attacks me or Astra? Just protect myself and those around me without landing any blows of my own? His discomfort and disagreement with that idea was evident. If it’s all the same to you I’d rather not find out. Then Loren fell silent, just trying to nestle closer to Remi and the alchemist’s skillful fingers.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi Abruzzo

I am sorry to hear it. The alchemist said with an accompanying pulse of sincerity. Before...when she first ascended to power, I thought that there wasn’t any change of her hurting any children. I thought if nothing else that Aoife would be safe. She seemed...so caring when it came to the young. I was proved quite wrong. I had held out hope that perhaps the same could not be said for her own kin.. So saying, Remi pulsed a note of weary sadness along with the mental words as he silently shook his head.

Raising a curious brow, the alchemist exhaled a long note through his nose. We speak….but not in any sort of official capacity Remi said with a shake of his head. Concered? Of what? Loren hadn’t been given the task, and the alchemist couldn’t help but feel a prickle o defensiveness at having been immediately called out on his decision (or lack thereof).

”Yes.” The alchemist repeated out loud and forcefully. For almost his entire life, Remi had been doing just that. He’d never reciprocated, never advanced, never retaliated. ”It is not weakness not to retaliate.” He said simply, sea-glass eyes regarding the smaller creature before him. If anything, now Remi was in a position that was more privileged than more. For who, apart from Jigano’s new dragon form, could possibly stand against a manticore? Though there was strength too in simply letting things be, to letting mistakes be made, to standing down.

Or at least..Remi thought so.

Image by Lamreii!

the Firebrand

Change author:
Sorrow welled up within Loren and he didn’t bother hiding it from Remi. She cares about children. Deeply. Loves them. The honey badger pawed at the ground and snarled quietly. And she thinks hurting them is the best way to prepare them to face the world. He couldn’t help the anger from rising up to replace the sadness.

However, it dissipated as the alchemist asked about what the Launceleyn was worried about. I'm worried about what the gods might do to you and the others if you don't follow their directives. They've punished you in the past for failing to fulfill their tasks. Underneath the concern there was a certainty that the alchemist couldn't just walk away from this.

Then, though, the summoner lifted his head from the other man's knee. I don't care about harm done to me, and will not retaliate in that instance. But if I have the power to prevent harm from befalling others, than I have a responsibility to intervene. There was no doubt in Loren's thoughts about that.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi Abruzzo

She threatened to kill Aoife. The alchemist thought in a shockingly toneless and grey sort of silent-voice. It was one of the early dents in his otherwise sunny and optimistic facade; Remi hadn’t thought himself capable of violence until his daughter had been threatened. Then everything had changed.

Nodding gently at Loren’s concern, the alchemist said little more. The Launceleyn could be concerned, but that didn’t change Remi’s perspective. He’d not go along with some plot, god driven or otherwise, against his instincts and nature.

As Loren lifted his head, the alchemist regarded the badger’s eyes with a silent sort of understanding. “I do not doubt it.” He replied, perhaps a touch vaguely. He disagreed, and though he’d made his disagreement known, he’d not press the issue. Loren was free to make his own decisions, just as the alchemist was.

Before he might have said more, a bookcase across the guild came crashing down. Glancing up with surprised but amused eyes, Remi grinned in the wake of the noise as several unhappy voices rang out. ”Ah.” He chuckled, giving the honey badger’s head a final scratch before rising from the floor. “I should deal with that.”

Image by Lamreii!

the Firebrand

Change author:
At the feeling coming from Remi—or rather, lack thereof—Loren paused, and lifted his head to stare up at the alchemist. Sending a pulse of comfort to the other man, the summoner lowered his head again and rubbed his cheek against Remi’s knee. I’m sorry. That’s awful. He continued the gentle motion as they breezed past the conversation about the gods.

When they stopped at the discussion of Zariah, and what those in power should do, Loren finally ceased his movements, simply resting his head where it was. At the final scratch, and the sound of crashing in the distance, he finally backed away, shifting back into his human form. ”I should get out of your hair. Let me know if I can help with the wagon? Or anything else?” His tone was tentative, but his smile wasn’t. Then, he gave Remi a firm nod before the summoner turned to go.

-FINISHED
loren

Coding base by Sky!