Thick Skin and an Elastic Heart
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Scattering sparks of thought energy
Deliver me and carry me away
Jigano had given him the name Amalia as a particularly pious person in town and so Abasi made it a personal mission to find this woman, pinning possibly unfair hopes on her that perhaps she could finally break the God's silence towards him. As much as he wanted to 'get over' the lack of a response, he was finding no matter how many times he had it explained to him he simply could not stop thinking of it.

When he found out this Amalia was a baker, he was surprised. While he had known there did not seem to be Priests or Priestesses here in the same sense as his world, he had expected her to have a profession related somehow to the Gods. Though he supposed he still had a lot to learn about Caido. Perhaps the Gods were particularly into a nicely made loaf of bread.

He entered the Devas bakery in the middle of the day, looking about in the same flat analytical way as he took in every place he happened upon. Looking to the counter, he spoke to the woman he saw: "Hello. I am looking for Amalia Chandrakant."
Here in my kingdom I am your lord
I order you to cower and pray
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
'Cause she's just like the weather
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
Daughter of the r a i n and s n o w
Amalia is working when Abasi comes in, though in truth she has begun to question the sanity in her conti yes dedication to the simple and mundane task of making bread. Portal Guardian is a whispered thing she can hear behind her ears; Halo sings a dischordant tune within her sternum. There are libraries to empty, queens to fell, gods to pray to, lives to protect. The world is growing more expansive, more complicated, less clear cut by the day.

And in the middle of it all here stands Amalia, kneading bread.

She glances up as the man enters her shop, her expression quiet and distracted. "That's me. How can I help you?" As she speaks she slows her work, the great oat loaf resting on the counter a moment as Amalia wipes her hands upon her apron, readying herself for customer service. From where she naps among the rafters Jyoti trills a warmer greeting, flipping over to look down at the stranger with her usual level of interest.
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Watching Amalia knead the bread made Abasi smile - the method did not seem to have changed from his home, where he often saw women making food in much the same way for their families. It did not smell quite the same as the bread he had eaten then, but the memory was enough to take away some of his hardness.

"Ah...I was told by Jigano that you are a pious person, beloved of the Gods here. Is that true?" He asked, eyes flicking between her hands and her face. "I am looking for someone with true experience with the Gods to guide me in some prayers I wish to make." There was no point in drawing his request out. Either she would help or she wouldn't, and if she wouldn't he wanted to get going to the next person as quickly as possible.
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
She falters a little as he mentions Jigano, but the brief clouding of her expression is quickly supplanted by a warm blush. "Ah... I suppose that's accurate," she replies with a shrug, reaching up to push a lock of hair from her face and leaving flour in its wake. Beloved feels like too weighty a word to apply to herself. She simply does her best. "I try to live in service of the gods- the old gods, that is."

Brightening considerably as the stranger expresses an interest in learning more about the deities, the baker pauses before answering, her eyes sweeping quickly over him in an innocently appraising glance. He's dressed better than many here, the mark of an Outlander to be sure. To have one so eager to learn about their customs? It's refreshing. "I grew up here- my grandmother has taken me to pray since I was young. I would be happy to help you as best as I can. What... what do you already know?"
Undertaker

Change author:
That Amalia only 'supposed' it was true worried him a little, but he guessed not everyone was as confident and forthcoming with their gifts and status as he was. Still, she seemed like she knew something at least, which would still be helpful. Any information could be used to his advantage.

"Information passed down from our ancestors is often very valuable." He mused, glad to hear of someone with generations past here, as it made him think Amalia likely had some good traditional knowledge of the land and it's Gods. "I know that there is Ludo, Safrin, Frey...Rae and Mort and Vi too, on a higher level."

He paused for a moment, clearly unsure if it was wise to broach this next part. "...And The Voice, who is somewhat the enemy of those Gods. I know that I am..Abandoned. That that means the Gods do not want to see me - I was hoping you could help me find a way to have an audience."
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
She smiles at his comment about information, the expression a little bittersweet as she thinks of her grandmother with a pang. "She was the wisest woman I knew," the Shield says softly, returning to finishing the kneading of her bread. As the man (whose name, she realizes, she still does not know) continues Amalia nods along, interjecting only at the end "-and Caido. Yes. They make up the Old Gods."

The Voice, as always, is a prickly topic. The distaste on Amalia's expressive face cannot be masked at the mention of the deity, unhappiness a line between her brows. It softens a little as he admits to being Abandoned, drawing another speculative gaze from the baker, halfway between sympathy and curiosity.

Her dark eyes soften and she bites her lip, moving the loaf to the corner to rise. "That... it's not that, exactly. The Abandoned... it's more complicated, why the gods don't speak to them. It has to do with the Voice, and the barrier." Sighing slightly, she glances at Jyoti, who coos reassuringly down from the rafters. "Would you like some tea or food, ah....?"
Undertaker

Change author:
"I did not know my grandmother, but I heard much the same of mine. I am glad you had a chance to know yours." Abasi said, a little sad - he did not know why he had felt the need to share, but something about Amalia's simple honesty made him feel less tense than he had been as he arrived. "Caido. Is that not...the name of the place we are in?"

He noticed the hardly subtle shift in her expression when The Voice was mentioned. It seemed the Ascended deity was a prickly subject for many people in the Hollowed Grounds, though Abasi could not help but think if she would at least speak to him, she couldn't be too bad.

Though, apparently it was her fault he was Abandoned. "Oh, ah. Abasi. I would like some tea, yes." Pleasant small talk had never been his speciality, so he immediately asked: "So why is it the Gods don't speak to the Abandoned?" He had heard an answer to that question already, but it was good to get multiple sources of information.
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
"It is," Amalia confirms. "It is also the name of the deity who created it- who created everything." Turning away from Abasi, Amalia carefully fills her kettle, pushing it into the hot oven gingerly while considering how to answer the question in a way that is fair and accurate. "The Abandoned weren't always called that. They were Acquired, once- because they acquired magic."

While she speaks she gathers the things for tea, her nerves calmed by the simple work. "When Caido first created the world, it made three others to help it. Those were Mort, god of Death, Vi, god of Life, and Rae, god of nature. Together they made the first human races: Accepted, Attuned, and Acquired." She sets two different tea mixes on the counter, a rich, spiced black and a fruity, minty herbal, indicating he should choose the one he wants, and pauses to let him ask any questions he might have.
Undertaker

Change author:
"Oh. I see. And...does anyone ever speak to Caido?" Not that Abasi thought he had a chance, not when he couldn't even speak to the lower Deities.

Jigano had told him of the name 'Acquired', one that he rather preferred to Abandoned. Idly he watched Amalia make tea as she continued to speak, wondering how it was everyone here came to know this history, when he had not yet seen any schoolhouses, nor been aware of regular services or ceremonies at the temple.

Still, there were more pressing questions. "I am aware The Voice was one of the Acquired, that she betrayed the Gods and made those with magic 'Abandoned', yes?" He asked, wanting to be sure he got the story right before he began to ask his more complex queries. Reaching forward, he took the black tea, the smell reminding him of a brew his mother would make when he was a child.
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
Frowning, Amalia shakes her head. "I don't think so. Caido has been... Gone, I suppose, for a long time. Before the barrier. Even the other three - Vi, Mort, and Rae - rarely speak to mortals." Rarely, but not never. She is living proof of that.

Abasi selects the black tea, causing Amalia to nod approvingly. Taking the bag back, she places it into a waiting pot before turning back to grab the kettle. "Yes... Essentially. The New Gods - the Voice - they were Acquired, once. But they were hungry for more power. I don't know how they rose to become gods themselves, but they were able to... To change people. And animals. To give them upgrades and abilities, in exchange for their souls."

Shivering, she pours the water into the pot, her dark eyes clouded as the liquid begins to turn a rich shade of brown. "After that, there were wars. The Old Gods sealed the Ascended in the Hollowed Grounds. The Acquired became Abandoned, since they betrayed the old gods and were useless to the new. And so it was for three hundred years, until she was released."
Undertaker

Change author:
"Oh. Where did Caido go? Does a God not want to stay with the land he has made? What else could there be to do?" Abasi asked, clearly confused by this. The Gods here seemed more and more fickle the more he learnt about them.

Amalia was clearly distressed talking about the Ascended, but Abasi just watched on with a analytical gaze, thinking things over. "What is different about the Demi-Gods made by the Old Gods, though? Both are cases of Gods giving mortals more power than they would ordinarily have." He shrugged; he was not particularly here to defend The Voice, but he would not be quiet when he saw what he thought was such an obvious contradiction.

The smell of tea rose up and he smiled, the scent still reminding him of home. Though the smile would not last for long, Abasi sighing as Amalia continued to speak. "Does it not seem unfair to you I am to be punished for the crime of one woman hundreds of years ago, when I only came to this world mere months before now? What have I done to deserve this label?"
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
He asks difficult questions, leaving Amalia both bristling and engaged. Luckily he does not seem particularly judgmental, or as though he wants to argue against her, and the girl can appreciate a desire to learn. "I don't know," the girl admits. "You would have to ask one of the Old Gods, I imagine." Do they know where Caido is gone? And why? Is it even here?

Running a finger around the lip of her empty mug, Amalia frowns thoughtfully, shrugging her shoulders in ambivalence. She has thought about this too, especially after Ronin's ascent into the role of fallen star. "I would say the difference is that demigods are given power, while the Voice took it. It's a question of intent- the demigods are meant to serve the Old Gods. The Voice only served herself." Of course, it is more complicated, and there's no way to say that a demigod would not one day snatch at power the way the Voice did- or that the Voice had not believed what she was doing to be right, at first.

She licks her lip at his next question, dark eyes rising as Abasi sighs. There isn't an easy answer, and her expression is empathetic, a little bit guilty, a little bit sad. "It does," the Shield agrees softly, honest in her quiet response. Despite her love of the Gods, despite her faith in their intent, their actions- yes, it seems unfair. "But the gods haven't forsaken you. It's more... often if an Abandoned proves themselves, shows their dedication, then they will be answered. It's the same for anyone. I have had my prayers unanswered more times than I could name." There is no resentfulness in this statement: Amalia has been answered more than she ever could have dreamed. But she also worked hard for the recognition, and spent years without any form of reply.
Undertaker

Change author:
"If they ever answer my prayers, it shall be one of my questions." Abasi nodded. He had a list of things to ask any of the Old Gods, once he was able to meet one - it had not yet occurred to him, if it ever would, that after finally being granted an audience, assaulting a god with questions was likely one of the most off-putting things he could do.

He hummed and tilted his head from side to side at Amalia's point. He wasn't really sure the distinction mattered too much - besides, he had not seen the Demi Gods answering at shrines or blessing people. What work exactly were they taking on? "And the Ascended, they do not serve the community at all?"

At least Amalia could see the unfairness when it was there; it spoke to someone not so devout they could not be rational, which he approved of. "I do not know how to prove myself...which is I suppose why I have come to you. I thought you might have advice on offerings, perhaps what I could say or do to impress them. I took some freshly killed meat, but that did not seem to get me an audience."
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
"The Ascended do... But some of them serve the Voice foremost." Another tricky area, causing Amalia to glance away, worrying her lip in thought. "I don't... I don't think anyone should be condemned for their race. Especially if it isn't something they chose. But if they then use that to justify things like the Blight, or murdering the Fae..." Trailing off again Amalia shakes her head, feeling woefully young.

Looking back at Abasi, the baker tilts her head. "Was there anythigg like this where you came from?" Most are surprised by the involvement of the gods in the daily life of Caido. They flirt around it, or rebel against it. Despite the sensitive subject matter, Abasi's frank curiosity is refreshing.

Though when he suggests she might hold some answers to winning the favor of the gods the girl cannot help but laugh. Reaching for the now steeped tea, she begins to fill his cup. "Some of it depends on which god you want to meet, and why. I can't claim to be an expert, but I've spoken to all the heralds at least once. Was there one in particular you feel drawn to?"