Thick Skin and an Elastic Heart
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Scattering sparks of thought energy
Deliver me and carry me away
"And do all the Ascended support the Blight or the murder of the Fae? What is the source of their rivalry with the Fae?" Abasi asked, tilting his head in confusion; this was the first time he'd heard of that particular schism, if indeed there was one.

Her question is a hard one to answer. The Gods in Egypt had been an all-important part of life, involved in every aspect, much the way they were here. But they had been silent, invisible forces, not physical beings that could be seen, that had specific relationships with all kinds of townsfolk. That changed everything, in regards to relations between different religious or racil groups. Still, there were was some comparisons to be made. "We had cultures that we disagreed with on matters of Gods; there have been wars fought over the righteousness of religions. Though I understand most people here do not wish it to come to that."

He watched the tea fill the cup, breathing in the scent. "I have heard of Ludo, a God that deals in death...I feel with my choice of occupation and prior experience, this God seems the most sensible for me to meet."
Here in my kingdom I am your lord
I order you to cower and pray
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
'Cause she's just like the weather
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
Daughter of the r a i n and s n o w
Amalia blinks at his follow up question, a slight amount of exasperation coloring the edges of her voice. "Not all of them, no- but the Fae dislike the Voice. And after the barrier fell... that's when the blight began to spread to the woods. And they asked the Ascended to stay out, but the Voice continued to send them, which spread the blight more." How new is this man to it all? How much does he know, and how much does he want to know? Fidgeting slightly, she continues. "Then, before LongNight, she sent some of the Ascended to attack a sacred tree that held a portal. They... they killed it, and five Fae besides. With the Voice's help."

Swallowing, she turns her face up to Jyoti in the rafters. "So no, I would not say all of them are murderers. Or even bad people. I know many helped- they wanted to stop the blight. But to continue supporting the Voice after all of this? That I can't understand." Sensing her companion's growing discontent, the little whale swims down to the counter, settling herself on Amalia's neck and breathing a huff of starlight.

It is easier to turn the topic back to him, away from her own troubling and uncertain feelings about the role the Ascended play in the world. Gravely she nods agreement with the assessment that they do not wish it to come to war, passing him the teacup as it fills. There is sugar and a little cream on the counter behind her, and she turns to grab it as he mentions Ludo. When she faces him again, a smile curls at her lips. "What occupation and experience?" she wonders, extending the small cup of milk and bowl of sugar toward him with an inviting nod.
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
As Amalia went into more depth about the relationship between the Voice and the Fae, Abasi nodded along, appreciated the extra details. This story was complicated, a million smaller fights and events fitting in along the way and every person seemed to have a different piece to add into the mix. "And...the portal, was it useful?"

He followed her eyes up to the rafters and watched Jyoti fly. Once he would have reacted loudly to seeing a small flying whale; now he just raised an eyebrow, wondering why he had not seen one of these before among other's companions. Perhaps a gift granted to Amalia by the Gods she was favoured by. "People often let devotion carry them to unimaginable ends." He commented as Jyoti floated down, still following the creature with his gaze the whole way.

Abasi took his tea - he looked to both the milk and sugar but shook his head. He had never liked to weaken strong tastes nor sweeten them. "I am...well. I believe the word here is Undertaker. I am helping the people of the town in matters of death. In making sure their loved ones are buried or cremated or dealt with as they wish; I have skill in dealing with dead bodies from my world, where I often prepared them thoroughly for burial." He sipped his tea, hardly considering this anything worth making a fuss over.

"So I was hoping to speak to Ludo. I have spoken to Delphia, who I understand is a daughter of Mort, who is also a Death God. She seemed to approve of my idea, though...told me some troubling things about the afterlife here." He sighed, frowning down at the ground.
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
Useful is a difficult thing to measure, and Amalia does not answer the question except with a quiet shrug. Adding a healthy quantity of milk to her tea, the baker forces herself to relax a little, breathing in the aromatic spices that rise up in the steam. Curiosity dances across her expressive features as he explains his role as undertaker, slightly puzzled by the custom to maintain lost loved ones but not entirely opposed. "Did that help their souls reach Mor- ah, your afterlife?" she wonders, remembering the many souls lost at LongNight. "Did you have something like lanterns, to guide them on their way?"

Ludo does make a good deal of sense. Nodding, Amalia smiles at Abasi. She's heard of Delphia as well, the rumors around the name inspiring a great deal of awe and surprise- the Shield has heard of children of the gods, of course, but never met any herself. Her attention is taken away from the demi-god when the undertaker comments on the content of their conversation, causing Amalia to frown. "What kind of troubling things?"
Undertaker

Change author:
It seemed Amalia was unwilling to make a judgement on the portals; Abasi noted that. He suspected that soon the debate surrounding them would come to a head. When that time came it was good to know where each person stood, what could be said around whom.

"Yes." He answered to her question. "We would preserve the bodies with chemicals, remove their organs...but leave the heart. The soul would go to be judged by the Gods; if successful they could then return to their body nightly to have a home within it. It is best that the body is as preserved as possible, so that they can recognise themselves and know where to go. We...had no lanterns, but families often left instructions or prayers in the tomb for the soul to read." Abasi wondered if this sounded brutal to her, savage; it was so different from the way people did things in Caido.

As far as what was troubling... "She told me with certainty that Outlanders, once dead, cannot return to their worlds - their souls, I mean. Which means my soul shall be trapped here, away from all my ancestors, Gods, traditions...it saddens me and I imagine many other Outlanders would feel the same." Abasi sipped at his tea, shook his head with a sigh, the most emotion he'd really shown since entering. "I am not yet decided if it is something I want to tell people or not."
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
His preservation rituals are bizarre, but she does not think them barbaric. Indeed, the idea of keeping some part of the deceased appeals to Amalia on a deep, personal level, though she cannot help but find an amount of selfishness in the act Abasi describes. "Why... why would they want to be tethered to a tomb, though? If the body was given back to the ground, would the soul be free to go where it wished?" To visit the ones it left behind, to see the lost and lonely?

Ever more interested in life than death, Amalia had never thought to consider that Outlanders may not wish to remain here when they died. That they might have family, loved ones, lost ones, gods they had hoped to spend eternity beside. The thought catches her like a blow to the chest, leaving her breathless, her expression one of dawning dismay. "Oh... I didn't... I didn't know," she breathes, black eyes wide as she stares at Abasi. "I'm sorry."

She doesn't know what else to say, what she can possibly do to soften this blow. So she sips her tea in careful silence, leaving it for him to reflect by himself or break the peace- whatever he needs to ease his pain.
Undertaker

Change author:
Abasi frowned at Amalia's question, the concept of it against the entire philosophy of his people's views on the dead. "Only souls which find their bodies can live forever. In the tombs they have their worldly good and possessions, their life's story on the walls...it is the only place most of us wish to be when we are dead, so that we may live with our bodies, memories and family as long as we can."

At least Amalia seemed to understand what a painful revelation it had been for him that his soul would not find rest in Egypt. "...I am glad to know what will happen, at least. That I am not holding onto false hope. I..have been wondering if I spoke to Ludo, I could ask if something could be arranged, for the souls of the dead...that perhaps something of the appearance, the wording of the souls journey could be preserved from their world, if they wished it. I could leave instructions with the body." He shrugged, not having met Ludo and not knowing how amenable it was to such things.

He sipped at his tea. "I..am curious. What is it you and other devoted followers of the Old Gods intend to do about the Ascended? In my world it would not have been unusual for a war to begin or a...execution to take place, yet Jigano seemed rather shocked and upset by the idea." Abasi really thought he was a bit soft. "I am not suggesting this should be done. I am just confused why everyone seems to be angry, yet does nothing."
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
"But their family isn't there." Still troubled by the implications of what feels like trapping the recently dead, Amalia shakes her head, confused, her dark eyes searching Abasi. "They're alone in a tomb, with only physical reminders of what they once had... that sounds terrible to me."

Chewing thoughtfully on her lip, the girl furrows her brows. "What happens if... if they're not worthy? Or if they can't find their bodies? Where do they go then?"

He mentions going to Ludo, asking if there is something to be done. Amalia glances away, unsure, but shrugs. "Ludo takes souls to Mort... it doesn't have much say in what happens next, I think. But you could certainly ask. Mort is kind and loving, he would likely help you if he can." The most empathetic of the gods, Mort seems most willing to give Abasi the facsimile he desires. "If... if you were to go again, and wanted company. I could come."

Oh, but the conversation steers back to Ascendeds, and whatever ease Amalia had begun to feel clenches into anxiety once more. She does not look at Abasi as he makes his pointed question, but the unhappiness is clear upon her expressive face. Why are they angry but doing nothing? War and execution and bitter shed of blood- it hurts her just to think about. "I... don't know." The Shield bows her head. "For so long it was... it was just us. Just the Hollowed Grounds and the people inside, and even though people disagreed about some things it didn't hurt anyone. But now... now the world is bigger. And it isn't safe. And I'm supposed to help protect it, but I don't know how to protect everyone, and I just-"

She breaks off, shaking her blonde head ruefully. A mirthless smile curls nervously at her lips as her fingers grip around the cup of tea. "I'm sorry. That doesn't answer your question. I just... I don't know."
Undertaker

Change author:
"Many families have family tombs. Eventually we will be together." Abasi idly thought that he'd actually rather have spent eternity alone, at least before he had come to Caido and met someone possibly worth spending it with. He and his family had never really been close and he'd always preferred the silence and comfort of a drink and the chance to read. "But one day all the dead shall be alive again in the next world anyway, so even if they are alone..."

As for the unworthy... "If they are unworthy they will be judged so by the Gods and their souls will be unable to live peacefully in their tombs." Abasi did not seem to have any problem with this, reciting the words with the calm tone of a priest giving a sermon.

"I would be glad for the company. When would you be able to take me to pray?" Abasi asked, eager to get to the shrine as soon as he could. The few social skills he did have stopped him from asking Amalia to take him there right now, but his impatience was clear in his voice.

The non-answer to his last question was not very satisfying at all, but Abasi could tell it had hurt Amalia to give, so he did not ask again. "I do not see why it should all fall on your shoulders to protect the world. Surely no one would succeed at such a task."
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Can't hold her together
Born from dark water
The idea of a tomb still leaves her bewildered, but she shrugs her shoulders, willing to let this difference in opinion go. Besides, it is not the most troubling of his customs. "What defines worthiness?" she wonders, frowning, her dark eyes searching his curiously. He seems to accept this judgment so readily, but it makes the baker's anxiety heighten. As far as she is aware there are no such stipulations to enter Mort's domain- but then, Mort loves all he takes. He would never call someone unworthy, Amalia is sure.

The sudden burst of enthusiasm and impatience is a jarring shift from his previously rather detached tone; Amalia cannot help but smile, bemused and slightly taken aback. "Ah... whenever you like. We can go now, I suppose." Despite the abruptness of the shift the girl finds it somewhat endearing: she can easily empathize with someone who wishes to be closer to the deities, even if she does not fully understand his trains of thought.

She shrugs again when Abasi suggests the world should not fall on her shoulders. It's true, and she knows it- but at the same time she has made promises, sworn duties, and taken favors to uphold. Instead of answering she rises from her seat, beginning to clear the table and pack up her things so they can leave the bakery when he is ready.

{fin}