some days feel like a blizzard
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Explore Halo. That was the command.

So here she is, all by her lonesome, facing the wind and the snow and the freezing temperatures with a nominal couple of layers of clothing, just to fit in. There’s a fur coat on top of it all, traded for some fresh provisions and weapons (what does she need other than her claws and her three knives, at any given time?) With a look on her face that says fuck with me at your own risk, the former Queen walks boldly through the outpost. Whitebrim. The people - the ones who even bother coming out, look like they’d kill their own mother if she tried to keep half a deer from them.

All she can see are hard eyes and reeking bodies inside ragged furs. There’s hardship here, and like her Lady said, why do the stay here? Why did they come here to begin with? Would they welcome her as a potential savior - now that the portal to another part of Caido is open? They’re free to go elsewhere. Or do they not know?

quote quote quote 1
Wessex

Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my whole life is mine, but whoever says so will deprive me,
for it is infinite.
Explore Halo was indeed the command, and so Amun was doing his part. He’d dropped off some firewood that he’d pilfered scavenged from various woodpiles, since he was too lazy to chop his own or hunt down meat or some shit like that. His only concession to the cold was that he was wearing clothes, and even a cloak (though it was mostly to defend against sunlight). Then he’d started wandering down the path that led to that Citadel place.

However, it wasn’t long before he turned off the path, a faint set of tracks drawing his attention. Although he wasn’t a hunter, he could follow rapidly filling footprints in the snow just fine. Eventually, a familiar looking figure showed up on the horizon, in an incredibly ramshackle looking town. Why so serious, Princess? Walking up behind her, he gave her a happy grin, totally relaxed, not at all fitting in with her intimidating look, or with the harsh looking surrounding. Guess you're not the only one with a rough exterior. He swept his gaze across the small town and its inhabitants, wondering who in their right mind would live here.
by being moved I exert my empire,
making the dreams of night real
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Think you might need a new nickname for me, Wessex retorts without looking back at him. It isn’t until her (former?) flunkie fully catches up that she spares him a glance, and then does a bit of a double-take. You trying to attract a lot of attention? comes almost sharply, before she closes her eyes and sighs unnecessarily. No, don’t answer that. Because the answer is yes, he is. She’s rarely known Amun to be subtle, unless he’s trying to calm her down or get her to take her fighting face off.  

I think these people have it harder than we did, she says as she continues to assess the surroundings and the situation. The voiced thought makes her brow furrow a bit, wondering if there’s a communal drinking place or something they can go to in order to find information. Not that anyone here would hand whatever precious information they have over to two very foreign looking strangers without some hefty bribes - or so she assumes.

They don’t seem particularly welcoming.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
for it is infinite.
Chuckling, the sound dark and low, Amun waggled his eyebrows. Why’s that, Princess? You don’t like it anymore? There was a teasing element to his thoughts fully in line with his demeanor. However, both mind and expression grew more serious. You were Princess before I knew you were queen, and you’re still Princess to me. Nothing’s changed. I’ll still follow you, if only to warn you that those frown lines will stick if you don't smile every once in a while.

She asked him not to respond, so he didn’t beyond a wink, because of course he was trying to draw attention to himself (as was she, in a very different way). Indeed, he even started whistling cheerfully. Luckily, he could whistle and think at the same time. Looks like it. Only one way to find out, though. How do you want to play this? Charm offensive or just offensive? As he eyed the locals, he took a step so that he was both guarding Wessex’s back and wouldn’t get in her way if she sprang into action.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
What can the Wraith possibly say to that? False modesty doesn’t become her, they both know that, so really, the only true-to-Wessex thing she can do is fully turn her had to look at him, offer a small, grateful smile, and then act like that moment of softness never happened. Princess it is, then, she says in acceptance. Maybe he’d taken Clem’s words to heart. They’re family. They’ll stick together. And she’ll make sure no one but herself stabs Amun... unless he’s in to that kind of thing (look, she doesn’t judge).

Rolling her eyes at his whistling, she nonetheless remains quiet, observing until she comes to a decision. Subtle charm offensive. Chuckling to herself, Wessex stops at a bigger buildling that seems to imply that it serves alcohol and food and may be a gathering place. Can you do subtle? As they step into the dark interior, their eyes will need no time to adjust in order to see everyone in the place looking at them and a gruff voice growls out, “You lost?”

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun smiled back at Wessex, glad to see her mood brightening. Still, he couldn’t let her off too easy. Now don’t go all soft on me like a real Princess. You’re one of those rebellious, run away from daddy the king types, not the simpering kind. Waggling his eyebrows, he nudged her gently with his shoulder.

Letting out an actual chuckle, the potter winked at her. I’m wearing clothes, which is my idea of subtlety. What more do you want? Then he tilted his head, a mischievous light in his eyes. Although getting naked would definitely change these people’s tune in a hurry. He followed behind her, his steps lazy.

As the strange voice barked out, however, he turned and gave his most dazzling smile. ”Nope! We’re exactly where we want to be, with you fine folks.” Leaning forward, Amun’s grin broadened, somehow. ”Now tell me, where can we find a good time around these parts?” His tone was light and not at all bothered by the hostility and tension that was practically tangible.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Call me soft again and I’ll skewer you, she replies with an elbow aimed at Amun’s side and a vicious little grin. Whether or not she actually will is debatable, but her customary threat has been issued and all is right in the world again. If it weren’t for crucial moments like the one that’s just passed, she might kick him to the curb, because what he does next makes her want to throw him back out the door they just came through.  

Clenching her jaw, she inhales deeply to keep herself from doing something stupid.

The bartender leans on to the bar, scowling darkly under heavy brows, His layers give off the impression that he’s bigger than he actually is, but his face betrays the hardships they face. “‘Pends on who’s askin” There are only a few others in the establishment, but they, too, seem to be paying attention to the strange duo. It’s almost like Wessex can feel them leaning in and sizing them up. Letting Amun continue to talk, she counts the heads and eyes the distance to the door, in case this starts to get ugly.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun let Wessex's elbow land, letting out an overly dramatic grunt, since he clearly didn't feel pain from it. Then he yawned widely and clearly faked, amusement glittering in his eyes. Been there, done that, nothing to write home about. You gotta spice things up, keep it exciting, Princess. Grinning at Wessex briefly, he then turned his focus to charming the locals.

Not at all perturbed by the bartender’s response, Amun winked at the other man. ”I am.” The potter’s voice was wickedly cheerful. Trusting Wessex to have his back, Amun walked forward and leaned his forearms on the bar, mirroring the bartender's posture. "You gonna answer me, or are we gonna have to go through a whole song and dance first."

Rolling his neck, the potter winked again. "I could use the exercise, honestly. Then again, we could just have a friendly chat." Yeah, Amun hadn't missed how everyone was sizing them up, so he projected the lazy confidence that was practically his trademark.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
This might very well be a game of chicken. She has no idea what the Whitebrim folk want, what they’re looking for, or what makes them tick. Amun is just as likely to get them into some trouble as he is to talk them out of it, and Wessex has never been a good judge at how far to let him go or trusting he won’t fuck it up. But the baby bird has to fly on his own at some point, so she remains quietly in the background, talons and biopulse at the mental ready, should they need them.

Which is… debatable right now. The bartender’s eyes narrow, Amun’s cavalier tone and wink not sitting particularly well with the man. Between that and the stranger’s lack of clothes, the Halovian quickly decides he doesn’t like anything about the pair. They’re unnatural. They don’t belong here, and that means they can easily go missing… he grins wickedly.

You look like a snack,” the man says as he reaches below the bar for the knife he keeps handy - just in case. And then there’s only half a heartbeat before the other men in the tavern are up and going for the Ascended.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Letting out a long suffering sigh as the bartender reached for his knife and the atmosphere turned downright hostile, Amun shifted his posture. His palms were flat on the bar and his feet were shoulder-width apart. ”Pity. I was just about to offer to bite you, snack. Exercise it is, though.” It was clear he wasn't at all worried about the impending violence.

Then as the inhabitants went for the Ascended, the potter exploded into motion. He snatched up a bottle and swung it with as much speed and force as he could muster at the bartender's head. Simultaneously, he kicked the nearby stool into the path of the closest attacker. Eh. Subtlety is overrated anyway, Princess. Guess you're my dance partner. Watch my back? There was a wickedly gleeful grin on Amun's lips as the bar brawl commenced. And he had no doubt that Wessex would protect him.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Next time, I do the talking, Wessex mentally sighs in response to the start of the brawl, but nonetheless quickly takes up a position at Amun’s back as the bartender’s hand comes away from his head covered in blood, rage infiltrating every part of his body. At least the closest attacker is impeded by the stool - it hits him mid-thigh and he almost tips over it, thrown off-balance by all the furs he’s wearing. Apparently they’re not great for allowing one to be agile.

The Wraith waits to strike until the others are almost upon them, knowing that her biopulse does the most damage when she can see the whites of her enemies eyes. The energy flies from her, savage and disorienting. As one, they seem to pause and fall back, both in confusion and in physical distress - what the fuck just happened to them? It gives them the time they need. Wessex leaps to the door and opens it, giving Amun the opening he needs to get out of the bar.

If he goes, she’s right on his heels.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
And what were you going to say that would’ve avoided a fight, Princess? Not sure your usual intimidation would've worked in there. And the charm offensive was at least worth a shot. As the bottle bounced off the bartender’s head, the glass covered in blood, Amun lifted the stool on the other side of him and chucked it at the injured man. The potter didn't fight often, but when he did he fought dirty.

As the sound of groans filled the air behind them, Amun glanced over his shoulder, peering at Wessex. Seeing their opponents temporarily incapacitated and the door wide open, he grinned. Aw. But we were just getting to the fun part, Princess. Still, he dashed out the exit quickly enough.

Then he turned. Spotting one of the attackers who was recovering more quickly from whatever it was that Wessex had done, Amun took aim, then chucked the bottle at the assailant. After that, he continued beating a hasty retreat. I guess I can add Whitebrim to the list of places that tried to kill me.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Wessex doesn’t like to talk during a fight. It’s distracting. So Amun’s thoughts go unanswered, despite his insinuation that she couldn’t have avoided a fight. Doesn’t really matter any more, does it?

She’s out the door behind Amun, sees him turn with a bottle in his hand, and ducks. She hears the glass hit something with a thunk, and by then, the door is slamming shut behind her as the two of them race off in to the cold. Truth be told, she’s got a bit of a smile on her face, the brief thrill of the skirmish evident. This is what exploring is for. This is the kind of adventure she should lead.

I guess so, she agrees. But what’s life without the threat of dying every now and then? It's funny cause, you know, they've both died. Or nearly. She's unclear about his story.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun wasn’t quite so pleased with the outcome, but Wessex's smile was infectious. So he grinned back, though mischief sparkled in his eyes. I don’t know, fun? He chuckled, the sound dark and low, as he continued to move away from the building. Thuds were sounding inside, so he figured it was time to skedaddle.

Considering the number of times things have tried to kill me in such a short time in Caido, you'll forgive me for wanting a bit less of that type of excitement in my life. However, he was still grinning, and he reached out to briefly clasp her shoulder. Thanks for bailing me out, Princess. His smile flashed even more brilliantly at that thought.
AMUN