A Small Step
For Nate
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
When everything and everyone
Becomes my enemy
Eventually there were no more discussions to have or things to prepare, and it was time to go to Halo. Ideally, Sam had wanted to have his hand restored before they took the journey, but that alone was not enough to postpone it for. Besides, he could always go back to get it done again, or channel the Voice if he absolutely had to (he still had Nate's Accepted blood in him, drunk before the Ascension).

He had heard it was good to arrive with a gift, so he had packed in his satchel the most valuable thing he had. A gold-tipped tome of history of the Hollowed Grounds, beautifully inscribed with swooping inked letters and illustrations. It had once been a great source of inspiration for him, though now he had not opened it in years. If it would be of use here, it was better being used than getting dusty in his home. Besides, the history was less than accurate. Not that he'd tell the person waiting in Halo that.

Holding Nate's hand in the basement of the Spire he closed his eyes and said a small prayer, hoped he would one day return (he had not said goodbyes to friends, though they did know he was going - he was hoping he would not be very long) and then stepped through the portal, ready to see the world beyond.
(Whoever is waiting at the other side of the portal, please wait for Nate to post before responding to their arrival!)
There's nothing more you can do
I'm gonna blame it on you
SAMUEL
Base Code by Sky!
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
NATE
It felt to Nate like things happened very quickly after his ascension, though that was nowhere near true. If anything, things happened slowly, the preparations, the wrapping up of loose ends, the promises that he’d be back to teach and work more in the college, that was the reality of their task. Though reality didn’t stop it being a shock when they finally left, standing before the glowing portal in the spires basement, a place he barely knew the history of, wearing a pale coat and feeling like he was taking the first steps into a terrible horror movie.

Choosing a tithe is easy, given what he has access to. A sturdy metal box, packed full with ointments and creams and all manner of other things, made from the garden of the medical college. Nate has a hunch that plants are rare in a tundra, and despite the medicine the residents may already have access to, more is always more helpful than less. Though, he is worried it might seem too utilitarian, compared to what Sam is bringing. After all, the other man had far more experience in this world than he did.

The portal was strange, but even more strange was the icy cave they stepped out into, wind howling from the entrance, but the cold not touching him, them, not really. Squeezing Sams hand, Nate stepped further into the icy world, looking around in quiet amazement. Though the feeling of being in a horror movie only heightened.
trouble usually finds me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
dont know where the lights are taking us
but something in the night is dangerous
Wessex still mostly travels by foot. It’s healthy, you know? Good for the false circulation and the fake heart and the general overall mental health. Anyway, she’s coming back from somewhere, from doing something undoubtedly nefarious, if one is to listen to the rumors. This is probably what causes her to enjoy Halo so much: it’s more or less devoid of people, it’s a place where she can roam free and without a care to burning up in the weak sun. And in Deepfrost, it’s a place where she’s more powerful than anyone else. That has allure.

Combined with the whispered promises of mageglass and there’s hardly any reason why she should stay in the Grounds.

But even the most intrepid explorers need a base of operations. So she’ll hold on to her Grounder’s citizenship for now. She enters the cave that shelters the portal and is almost shocked to see a pair of them standing there - one far more familiar than the other. She raises an arm in greeting but waits until she gets closer to actually say something. Teasing (kinda), she addresses Sam, “Took ya long enough.” Then turning to his companion, she offers her hand. “I’m Wessex. You’re… the newest one, right?”

She doesn’t think they’ve ever actually met.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Becomes my enemy
Sam had expected to be greeted by a party of soldiers, someone he would have to present his gift to in order to proceed - not Wessex. He watched her come closer, a little nervous, though reminded himself that their last meeting had ended with them at...civil-ish terms, at least. He laughed uncomfortably at her remark, nodding with his hand scratching the back of his neck. "Yes, I...had some things to get together first. But I'm hoping to explore all around these mountains with Nathaniel for the portals."

He looked to Nate as he said his name, smiling in a sickeningly fond way and squeezing his hand, a silent message.
SAMUEL
Base Code by Sky!
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
Nate honestly isn’t too sure what to expect on the other side of the blinding white portal either, but he’s glad to see a single person, and not some contingent of armed guards. With a little smile on his lips, Nate dips his head to the queen, ex-queen, and accepts the handshake while Sam spoke. ”I remember seeing you. You were in my head, weren’t you? With the Don bit.” He laughs, not even thinking that the reference won’t land.

”I guess I am the newest, huh?” He looked to Sam and squeezed his hand back, offering and drawing comfort in the gesture. ”Have you been all around here?” He asks, figuring they could get some information from her presence
trouble usually finds me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Whatever happened between Sam and Wessex at the beginning of Flowerbirth has clearly been placed firmly in the past for the ex-Queen. Rex is fine. Her rage is channeled towards other, more appropriate persons; the combination of Halo opening up and not being in charge seems to have worked wonders on her personality. Or at least made her slightly more jovial, for the Wraith will always have her sharp edges and impatient, blunt manners. She should ask about his fingers, but it slips her mind.

But he does give her the man’s name. Nathaniel.

“Yeah, that was me. Useful trick. When we’re close, other Ascended can speak to me privately. I can yell for - or at - you guys from afar.” She grins a little, throwing a glance at Sam. If anyone was likely to get yelled at it’s him, but right now she’s mostly teasing. The Don bit goes over her head, as predicted. She just ignores it. “Mmmm, just a tad in the mountains. Mostly across the Tundra and in the Warden’s palace. Whitebrim, the outpost. The Citadel itself and Snowcloak needs to be explored too…” Her gaze travels to Sam again, giving him a curious glance.

“But you already knew that, didn’t you?”

Mr. Portal Man.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Becomes my enemy
The great list of places Wessex had travelled caught Sam by surprise. He'd known that a majority of Halo was explored, but he had assumed it had been multiple Ascended, perhaps given the same task as himself by The Voice.

It seemed the time he had held back to prepare to go to Halo had already given her a chance to get a head start on him. Honestly, he was glad for it as it meant the whole operations success did not rest on his shoulders, but he hoped The Voice would not be angry that he had not done the majority of the work himself.

"Yes. The work is nearly complete." He smiled. "I hope you don't mind us just going around the Tundra to make sure nothing was missed. Besides, it's...nice to have a change of scenery, isn't it?"
SAMUEL
Base Code by Sky!
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Nate simply nods, and hums agreement about the mind talking being a useful trick, though he can feel a brow raising at the idea she’d need to yell at them. In place of an adjoining questioning look, he simply taps the back of Sams hand when Wessex’ gaze moves.

He finest keep his eyes off the ginger man forever though, the curious look finally thrown over at the mention that Sam already knew what was left. Part of the portal thing from the Voice, he assumed, but he didn’t know it got so specific. ”It’s nice we don’t have to go so far around still.” Nate wasn’t sure if he entirely agreed with the change of scenery being nice. It was pretty tight now, but the snow made everything... well, the same looking. ”It’s nice for now. Better that we can’t feel the cold.”
trouble usually finds me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
She shrugs. “I don’t care where you go, just don’t die.” It’s meant to be light and funny, but given the recent events of LongNight, may not actually be as amusing as she thinks. Still, she nods in agreement. “It’ll be even more useful come Leafchange and Deepfrost again. We might be the only ones able to withstand the temperatures here.” Her gaze drifts to the portal area, the Fangs, the seemingly eternally frozen mountain. She can see why the Voice wanted to open this place, if the mageglass is real and the search goes on long enough, they may be the only ones able to keep searching.

“Well I won’t keep you long. Anything I should know - recent important events?” She’s been mostly in Halo recently, so it stands to reason that she doesn’t know anything about what’s been going on for their team.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Becomes my enemy
"That's a good point...I can feel the cold, but not in a way that hurts me." Likely because of his patch, Sam was able to feel the chill in the air. 'Hurt' wasn't quite the correct word, but it did not bite as much as gently tingle along his arms; a sort of acknowledgement it was there without any of the feeling.

At Wessex's question he shook his head. "I don't think so, not other than Nate becoming Ascended." With that said he looked down and tapped his foot against the snow, feeling a little awkward for not having more news to give.
SAMUEL
Base Code by Sky!
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Despite what Wessex might think, her words of encouragement are hilarious to Nate. He can barely hold a laugh back as he nods, and salutes her. He goes back to seriousness again quickly, nodding along with the thought that they’d be the only ones still able to move around come the colder seasons. ”Makes you wonder why anyone other than us would bother trying to live here.”

”She already knew I ascended.” Nate points out quickly, recalling the meeting she’d called. He picks up a little slack for Sam then. ”The Woods are open again too. To everyone, apparently.” Despite his relatively short time as an ascended, he’s picked up on some of the things stacked against them, and tries to not let too much doubt into his voice.
trouble usually finds me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Ok, so no Portal Guardian update for Wessex. Roger that. She’ll probably find out sooner or later anyway.

With a small shrug and a grin, she looks at Sam to answer Nate’s statement. “People are stubborn and surprisingly resilient. If we could survive in that bubble, I’m not surprised the Halovians could survive here. With no way out, what choice do they have?” which is where they come in. The Voice is offering everyone a chance to move if they don’t like where they’ve grown up, a chance to explore and live other lives. Be warm if they hate the cold. Be cold if they hate being hot. Maybe not deal with mud monsters and LongNight monsters anymore, if they’ve had family killed.

“Except to us, you mean?” Her brow furrows. Good for Rex in getting that taken care of, but there’s no way in hell Delah would let the Ascended in. Not after they the Mathair. That is, unless Delah’s stepped down…
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Nate shrugs, conceding the point to Wessex. As long as they could fond a place to dig their feet in, people would bear anything. The phrase no way out did surprise him a bit though. He had assumed that something opened up somewhere, the mountains or the sea or something. It made you wonder how people had gotten here in the first place, why they stayed, but that wasn’t a wonder he voiced.

”If were restricted, no ones actually said it.” Nate says, grinning wide. Whether it’s an intentional oversight remains to be seen however. ”They just don’t want people in their village. It’s probably still safer to avoid it though. Might not be trespassing, but they’ll find a reason to be violent.” This was less based on what he knew of the fey and more on his own experience, but it probably still worked.

Nate steps to the side, pushing against Sam just a bit, and glances back at the portal. ”I’m sure you’ll hear about anything we missed when you get back though. Don’t let us keep you from home.”

~Done on Nate’s end
trouble usually finds me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3