the wine of friendship
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

With the Rathskeller destroyed, Adam found he was missing the usual company of his drinking buddies, people he'd come to know because they were in the bar most nights, same as him. They were not all intelligent, nor necessarily people he liked, but they had been decent conversation when he'd been a few pints deep, which was all he'd needed.

Sitting at home with a beer was just kind of sad, on your own. Pet was not much of a drinker (on the basis that after two he'd be on the floor) and Amalia would give him concerned eyes the whole time, so this was often an activity he did in solitude, staring at the wall.

This particular night he really found himself wishing for some company. Going through the mental list of people he knew, he tried to come up with a new drinking pal. Deimos? Good joke, no. Wessex? Possibly, but she was probably busy. Loren? Maybe if he was desperate. Then Jigano came to mind and he sat up, frowning as he considered the option. The man had always seemed a little uptight, but he was fun enough to talk to and they'd found a bit of an odd connection, especially with Adam's reading lessons (which he was surprised to find had gone well enough he could sound out basic words and signs to himself now, making life considerably easier).

Without much further thought, because Adam never considered his plans too hard - made them go stale - he was headed to the Atheneum with a bag full of drinks, some of them stolen and some of them made when his horn had spilled cider. The sky was a pleasant orange purple, evening just coming into the town; it could be, all in all, a very nice evening.

Heading through the Atheneum and down into the guild hall, he knocked on the door a few times, the raps echoing loudly through the hall. "Hey, Jiganooo, you here?"

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?
Do you wanna get drunk and stay the night?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
It would be time to head home soon, Jigano knew, but with a new recruit added to the Loreseekers and more people coming to the Guild's door again he had found renewed hope and vigor for his merry little band of scholarly, adventuresome misfits. There plans to make, old places to map and new ones to explore, and a party coming up to plan for. They'd need a booth this year, and something to offer at it other than dry books. A game, perhaps? Riddles?

... though with Caiside gone he wasn't sure if anyone else in all the barrierlands particularly enjoyed riddles.

He was scribbling notes and crossing off ideas when a familiar voice echoed down the stairs, sending Isuma jerking awake from her doze in her bed by the fire, chirruping sleepy alarm. The upstairs door was open since the Hall was currently in business, and there was no door at the bottom of the stairs, so Jigano just raised his voice to call back: "Come in!" Had he scheduled a lesson with Adam for tonight? He didn't think so, but if the lanky vagabond had something to ask or needed help with, Jigano would be glad to give it. He hadn't forgotten Adam's kindly presence during LongNight, and he had found himself enjoying the lessons. Adam was colorful, but that made him interesting, and the bard enjoyed the challenge of teasing apart the fictions and half-truths from the reality of what his friend boasted. "How have you been? Did your date go well?" He watched Adam enter with a welcoming smile, tidying up his books and notes to make room at the table in case the other man wanted to join him there.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

The chirruping sounding off from the guildhall upon his arrival told Adam Jigano had to be close; he had never seen the bard without his companion. Coffee perked up at the sound - quietly Adam mumbled to him: 'S'not a bird. You can't eat it. It's Isuma, be nice.' Whether or not he would be nice was to be seen, but Coffee excitedly ran ahead of him, trying to find the feathered friend within.

"Hey!" Adam came over to the table and sat, just about resisted kicking his boots up onto the surface; that didn't seem like the kind of thing Jigano would appreciate. He still slouched, entire body giving off waves of someone far too casual for the studious chairs. "Yeah. Yeah, it did." He said with a soft smile about his date, looking off to the side. *

Reaching down to grab two drinks out of his bag, he held one out by the neck towards Jigano. "I was wondering if you had time for a drink and to shoot some shit with me. This place can get you down if you let it after a while, and with the Rathskellar gone...I think we're all in need of some booze and bitchin'. Or whatever you wanna call it. What d'ya say?"

--
(* since the PQ isn't finished yet, I don't want to say tooooo much about the date in case something major happens during that thread. wooo timey wimeys)

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Isuma had awoken with an unfortunate case of bedhead, which didn't stop her from happily flapping up to meet Coffee and exchange greetings with the little black dragon while the humans made themselves comfortable down below.

And speaking of comfortable...

Jigano hid a grin at the soft smile on Adam's face, but the offer of a drink was an unexpected (well, not really. This was Adam, after all) pleasure and he took the bottle with a smile. "Ah, a Valair cider! I've a soft spot for them," he confessed with a lopsided grin as he rose and reached out to offer Adam a hand up. "If it's 'booze and bitching' on your mind, though, let's go sit by the fire. That's where the comfortable chairs are. The chairs at this table are meant to keep you awake through long hours of studying." Well, maybe not really, but they were certainly a harder place to rest a bony ass than the overstuffed chairs by the fire. Jigano led the way and parked himself in his usual choice, prying the cork from his bottle with strong fingers and taking a whiff of the crisp apple scent that arose from it.

"Ahh... lovely. I have to admit, I'm not used to having anyone show up to 'bitch' with," he said wryly, offering Adam a toast. "It's much appreciated. So what's on your mind?" The Devil's Advocates likely, but the bard wasn't going to start in on that just yet. He'd see if Adam brought it up first, and then curve around to it later if it didn't come up sooner.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

"A...what cider?" Adam asked, confused; as far as he knew it was just cider poured out of his old drinking horn, which had just been filled with whatever they'd been serving at the Rathskeller, which as far as he had known had been 'the stuff Remi makes'. Regardless of the drinks though he stood up and followed Jigano to the comfy chairs, more than happy to park himself somewhere warm and soft. Coffee trilled for Isuma to follow as he went to stand close to the fire and puffed little plumes of his own flames towards it, imitating the burning.

He toasted Jigano's bottle easily and pulled the cork out of his with his teeth, flopping down into the chair and kicking his feet up over one arm. "To bitching."

As for what was on his mind...there were several things that were probably too serious for the beginning of such an evening; deep dark topics had to wait at least until they were one drink deep each. So, something more lighthearted. "Today, mostly that I can't find a single good cobbler in this market. I mean, they're fine, but back home I could get boots like this." He wiggled his foot, which sported a black leather boot that went to his mid-thigh, covered in buckles and studs. "Everyone's making little cloth things and clogs. Fashion was so goddamn different back in my home."

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"A Valair...? Ah, they're... they were family who had sheep and an apple orchard, and produced the finest cider in the hollowed grounds. Last Long Night most of them died though," he admitted with a sigh. "Maea survived but... we haven't seen her in a year now. I was hoping it was one of the surviving bottles of that orchard." He shrugged, still touched by the gesture even if it wasn't his preferred vintage. He'd drunk far worse over the years in various seedy inns and taverns, after all.

Isuma peeped and happily bounced after Coffee, joining him by the fire as the humans settled in and made their toasts. "Ahhh, yes. Those are distinctive," he agreed with a smile. "I haven't seen anything quite like them here. Or even close, really. Are made leather shoes, but nothing that fancy. And he's another I haven't seen in awhile," the bard admitted.

"Hmmm. I miss good wine," Jigano finally said with nostalgic sigh. "The stuff here is half-vinegar. No surprise, considering what the grapes are trying to grow in, but still. They've plenty of the harder liquor - I suppose it's a necessity on a world like this - but none of the smoother stuff. What you'd drink for fun, rather than for practicality." Most of the liquor he'd had at the Rathskeller could double as paint stripper, which was fine for when you wanted to get black-out drunk in a hurry, but not so much for enjoying with friends around a fire when you just wanted to relax a little.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

"Oh. Uh...no, I've never really drunk anything fancy anyway. It's just whatever they had at the bar." He shrugged, swilling the liquid around in the bottle. It was wet, tasted drinkable and got him drunk, so he was fine with that. "...I remember Maea. Helped her herd some sheep once; she was a nice girl." He sighed, wondering too where she had gone. "Didn't know her family made cider. Shoulda got some off her."

Jigano confirmed he wasn't going to get any more leather thigh highs here (shocker) and Adam sighed, wishing he could go back to the shops of his home, where fashion had been in boom: fur-lined capes, cuffed boots, more necklaces than you could shake a stick at. Here it seemed everyone was dedicated to dressing in different shades of dung and as modest as they could, except a few, who still didn't look cool (in Adam's opinion).

"I was never much of a wine drinker. Maybe that's why the artist guy drinks it so much though, cos he can't taste it much on accounta being Ascended, huh?" Adam had attended a couple of the Artist's Sanctuary's parties, not because he was at all interested in the arts, but because he'd heard they were horny and full of free drinks; he had not been disappointed. "So you're a wine guy and you do all this fancy book stuff - were you rich or noble or whatever in your last world?" He asked, trying his best to keep his voice neutral.

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"I don't know if it's 'fancy' so much as just a well-known name here," the bard reassured the thief with a wry grin. "Though... I suppose it won't be anymore." Damn, things were getting depressing fast. He drank some more from his own bottle, nodding in agreement to Adam's opinion of Maea and wishing he had gotten more cider while they had the chance... cold blooded as the thought was. He raised a silent toast to the missing Loreseeker, drinking again in her honor before he shared the grim mood with Adam and the tragically lost tall boots the man seemed to favor.

"Still, keep up the leather with some care and polish, and all you'd really need is re-soling every few years," he suggested thoughtfully. "Good boots will last a man a long time with a bit of work." Not that Adam seemed the type to seek out work, but his diligence in learning to read proved he could do it when he was motivated, which was part of what endeared him to Jigano in the first place.

"Hm? Bastien? I assumed he just did it for the appearance of being hoity-toity still," Jigano admitted with a chuckle. "That, or habit. I couldn't believe it when I found out he had become an Ascended. A man who loves hedonism, taste, touch, food and wine... always seemed strange to me, that he'd trade it for a body that couldn't appreciate so many of life's pleasures." He shrugged, though, for he had never known Bastien well and Rex seemed to think there was more to the man than just the pursuit of sensation and pleasure. There was a thought... if Bastien had never Ascended, would Rex have chosen that road without him to push her down it?

An unpleasant thought echoing a recently unpleasant conversation with a friend, and one he didn't want to dwell on at the moment. "Actually, I was the son of a fairly modest smith in a town that had too many smiths," he told Adam with a chuckle, relaxing back into his chair. "We were respectably modest by the local standards. Not poor, but never with much extra after the necessities were paid for. I loved to learn, though, and explore, even as a boy. Spent a lot of time in the temple school learning from Konor. I ended up a wanderer, though, so I actually didn't have nearly as many books as I wished I could carry with me." His smile turned wry as he watched the companions playing by the fire. "Money came and went with my travels, but I was poor more often than I was rich, and never noble." He glanced back at Adam with a raised brow. "What about you? Did you ever come across an unattended large sum of money? And what did you do with it, if you did?"
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

"Well, you still know it, right?" Adam pointed out, but Jigano was right that that hardly made it 'well known'. He took a quiet sip too, wondering where their white-haired friend had disappeared to. So many people simply died in Longnight or to mysterious beasts or Gods here; it was hard to know you would always greet a friend again.

Caring for his clothes and hair was one of the few things Adam put regular and proper routine work into. "Yeah, I know. I got some polish from a guy in the market and I do it once a week and I clean the silver too - I do my other boots at the same time. Washing my shirts is a fucking pain, cos one of them has this special embroidery on I have to be really careful with at the tub or it'll all rip off." Still though, he always felt the rewards of his work when he got to put it on and see the intricate designs snaking up his collar, making him feel rather handsome indeed.

As for Bastien and why he would ascend, Adam could only shrug. "I dunno. Personally, I'd never wanna do it. Especially if I was married to someone as hot as he is - they've got to be missing out on some things." He shook his head as if this were a great shame. "But I just like getting drunk and feeling things and eating food too much to go over. Sides, seems like a lot of work for just a lot of trouble." He said nothing more on the matter, picking up that Jigano seemed uncomfortable, though he wasn't sure why. He considered the Ascended as nothing more than an eccentric group of weirdos; sure, they got violent sometimes, but this was life. Who didn't?

He was pleased to learn that Jigano was not of noble birth. It made it much easier for Adam to feel comfortable around him, even if he felt there was still an intellectual gap between them (one that he would never put voice to, for it was one of the few things that truly embarrassed him, his lack of book-learning). "Sounds cool. I never had that much of a direction either."

As for unattended sums of money, he snorted. "I wish it had been that easy. The unattended bits of money I came across were usually bits of bar change. The richest I ever got was after I found this treasure in a mountain for a guy; he said I could keep whatever I wanted as long as I got him this one thing. Sold it all and made enough to buy a little house in the woods near my main...work...area." Roads that I would trawl for people to steal from just didn't have the same ring to it.

"That's a really boring answer though, isn't it? Before that I got a lot of money from when I married my wife, though I had to be responsible with it cos she had control of it, really. We just bought a lot of drugs. I would have bought more but she stopped me - that was the responsible bit." He laughed, well aware of how silly it was. "...Have you? Ever had something stronger than liquor, I mean."

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Alright, Jigano could admit that he was impressed at the care and work Adam was already putting in, and he offered the rogue a toast with a lopsided grin. "Maintaining any sort of fashion here is an challenge, my friend. Cheers to you for keeping up appearances!" He'd already known there was more to Adam than met the eye, but it was always nice to have those instincts confirmed, especially in such a pleasant way for once.

And it was a relief to hear that he had no intention of Ascending. As much as Jigano cared for and even loved his Ascended friends, the growing rifts between them thanks to the gods' meddling and their clashing faiths could be exhausting at times. He raised another toast to the comment in it all being 'too much trouble,' enjoying the warmth that chased down his throat and began to relax him as they switched to talking about pasts. "Oh, I had a direction," he chuckled. "If 'away' counts as a direction. I was heading south to warmer climes when I fell through the portal to here."

Adam's tale was one Jigano had been dying of curiosity to learn more of, but he remained comfortably ensconced in his chair, nursing his bottle along a little further as the other man spoke, rather than interrupting too soon. "Somehow I doubt you were a lumberjack or charcoal burner," he said dryly, a twinkle of wry humor in his blue eyes. Somehow he wasn't surprised that Adam had bought as many drugs as he could, though he was glad to hear the wife had stopped him from burning himself to a crisp before he'd come to Caido. "And not by choice," he admitted easily to the question, a liquid shrug rolling gracefully across his shoulders. "I was a lorekeeper on my world. A holder of secrets, some small and personal but others... dangerous, especially in the wrong hands. And I had enemies that were not known for their, ah, honorable combat tactics. I'm still a lorekeeper, though the secrets I've collected here aren't quite so earth-shaking, usually. Even so, I take that trust seriously, and I can't afford to let my mind become so muddled that I can't guard my tongue or defend myself against attack. Since I've collected a few enemies here, as well," he added with a crooked grin. "Most notably our string of lady monarchs, for various reasons."
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Adam returned the toast gladly, though he knew that even in the depths of hell he'd be keeping up with fashion. Wanting to look good was just in his bones and always had been - whether he'd been a child pushing flowers into his hair or a teenager obsessively correcting his eyeliner, he'd always wanted to keep up appearances.

"I can get that. For a long time I was just trying to get as far out of my home town as possible." Or at least, his adoptive home town - his first had been burnt to the ground and his departure from it had not been by choice. Once he'd been old enough it had felt necessary he go to find a new start, one away from his family tragedies.

He knew it was painfully obvious he'd only ever worked on one side of the law, but he didn't want to get into the specifics unless asked. Simply winking and smiling at Jigano's comment, he took another sip of his cider.

Being a 'Loreseeker' sounded boring as all hell and stressful too, in Adam's opinion, but if Jigano had carried the title over into Caido he had to at least like it a bit, so he didn't say anything on it. Personally he'd never been great with secrets and a job that didn't let him get high? Pass. "I've never really cared for monarchs in general, or anyone that gets a title like that. Makes 'em self-important. Especially in my world where all you had to do was get born into the right family." Contempt was clear in his voice for the upper classes, Adam pulling a face at the fire.

"Though...all that said, my wife was a duchess. But I didn't know that until she'd seduced me off my feet." His tone changed considerably as Heidi came up, a fond smile on his lips instead. "I guess it depends how much they think just having the title makes them better than anyone else."

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
It wasn't exactly a surprise to hear that Adam had been heading away, too, given his somewhat questionable lack of employment and the name of his guild, though perhaps there was more involved? Jigano nodded tentatively towards the signature scars with a raised brow, asking the question silently so the magpie man could choose to answer or pretend he didn't notice if he didn't want to offer that particular tale yet.

He didn't want to answer other questions, either, which was an answer in itself. Jigano just grinned at the wink, slotting another piece into the puzzle that was Adam Pikely, and enjoyed the company and the drink until he had the opportunity to tell a bit of his own tale.

He hadn't called himself a 'loreseeker' for good reason. Lorekeepers and Loreseekers weren't the same thing, though it was a nuanced distinction. He wouldn't ask any of his guildmates to carry that burden, even were any of them trained for it. It was the path he had chosen, and one he took pride in - even if Safrin chose to slap him down for that pride. He could do nothing about the starry-eyed goddess, but his pride had caused run-ins with Zariah and then Wessex after her. He nodded agreement at Adam's opinion and the frustration of hereditary monarchy, but his lips quirked in a crooked smile as he swirled his cider in the bottom of his bottle. "I don't like to talk about it much, but technically I was a king here for a couple hours, while we were all playing hot-potato with the crown," he admitted, figuring it might come out sooner or later, and it was better for Adam to hear it from him. "I passed it off to Ronin, though. Accepting it in the first place wasn't the worst mistake of my life, but it's possibly the worst one I've made in Caido."

His smile widened a bit at the open fondness on Adam's features, though he couldn't help but feel a little sad for the lost lady now beyond his reach. "Ah, so I should be toasting 'Duke Pikely' for the drinks tonight?" he teased, raising his bottle to do just that.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

There was a look towards his scars and Adam's fingers immediately went to them, tracing over the smooth skin between stubble on his chin. "Oh, nah. This happened waaaaaaay after I got outta home." That was all he said on the matter unprompted - anything else about the scars would have to be asked after.

He laughed bemused as Jigano casually dropped that he'd been a King. "A couple hours is probably the perfect amount of time to be King. Long enough to make a couple orders and eat a feast, but short enough you don't get your head cut off. Though...I guess there's not many feasts going around here, huh?" He'd certainly not seen any bird-inside-of-other-birds or whatever it was fancy people in his world used to eat. "Probably best to give it off."

Miming vomiting as Jigano called him a duke, he shook his head and motioned for the bottle to go down untoasted. "Absolutely not. I didn't even really get the title when we were married, 'sides we've been divorced for like...seven...? Years now. I still saw her plenty, but she's got a new guy. Boring as fuck, she hates him, but that's what rich people gotta do, I guess. She seems to have plenty of fun on the side." Adam shrugged, but he couldn't help his mind wandering to the same sad place as Jigano - did Heidi think he was dead, now? Missing? Did she care? Had she been looking?

A D A M
Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Before or after the marriage?" Jigano asked casually, though he didn't bother hiding the curiosity gleaming in bright blue eyes. Scars like that usually came with quite the tale, but if it was too difficult to talk about he didn't want to make Adam uncomfortable. If it was just a matter of teasing the details out, though, he was more than up to that task!

"No feasts," he agreed wryly. "Mostly a lot of finger pointing and blame going around, and everyone being pissed off, including me. Ronin kept the crown a lot longer, but even he got rid of it in the end. Leaving us with... Wessex." He didn't quite growl the name, but he managed to speak it with a casual distaste and the flicker of something darker in his eyes. "The second queen I could do quite well without." Edrei was the only only lady of the lot that he'd liked, and even he had to admit that her qualifications for being a good queen were mainly that she'd left most things well enough alone.

The bottle came down as the eyebrow came up, but Jigano grinned as he did so. The smile faded at the mention of the divorce and he tilted his head thoughtfully. "Ah well. To loved ones left behind, then," he murmured instead, raising a toast to those left behind on other worlds.