Safrin's Chosen
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Age: 30 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 14 - Int:
MORTICIA - Mythical - Cat Sith (Soul Stroll)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
these voices won't leave me alone
The blanket of the night's stars had always felt more comforting than the blaze of the sun to the daughter of Mort. Though, the things that most mortals feared - the darkness, things that went bump in the night - never shook her soul quite the same way. The constant echo of lives long past, the quiet chatter of the dead intermingled with the noise of the day - people, birdsong, constant movement - was a cacophony she had learned to endure with time. But the still of the night, the times when most had gone to bed and the world slept, when the murmur of those only she and the divine could see were the only thing to be heard; that was when Delphia felt she bloomed. It was easier to think with a clear mind when one's senses were not constantly assaulting by two worlds at once.

And so, it was then that death's daughter chose to go to the shrine of her father's beloved, and his herald of the stars. She had not heard that Safrin wished for offerings like Ludo or Frey, but she also did not know how one of life would receive one such as her. Though Vi and Mort were ever at peace, that did not necessarily mean anything for those who followed the paths they laid for their helpers. And so, upon the shrine, Delphia laid a small trinket, one she had worn around her own neck. A simple necklace with a round pendant, inside which was a starry sky creating the constellation of a woman. 'Twas an old heirloom, handed down through her family for generations. Though they were most pious to Mort himself, such trinkets of Vi and Safrin were equally common, lest they forget the important balance the played but a small roll in for the gods.

"Safrin, if you would grace me with your presence, I should wish to speak with you. My heart is heavy with worry, and I hope your light might offer guidance." she said, hands clasped in prayer.
DELPHIA

Coding base by Sky!

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Above the stars twinkled brilliantly. Dark shapes shifted and ebbed through as galactic whales passed so far overhead as to be near invisible other than the brief moments of darkness their bodies created before Safrin’s celestial light. Brighter and brighter the light grew until it coalesced into the form of a woman, fading such that only the smallest flecks of her eyes retained the star-blinding brightness.

“I am surprised to find one such as you seeking out light as a form of comfort.” The goddess mused with a small smile. Leaning against the observatory railing and letting her head lean back elegantly, Safrin breathed in deeply as a warm breeze billowed pleasantly around the pair.

“If this was anything serious I take it you would have sought out Ludo or your father..” For of course the goddess knew at once who it was she stood before. “But I won’t guess at what guidance you might need from me. Not when you’ve two lips to tell me yourself.” So saying, Safrin cracked open an eye to give Delphi a playful brow raise, before closing her lashes again as another breeze pulled at her long hair.
Safrin
the devil is not as black as he is painted
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Age: 30 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
As Safrin appeared, Delphia was struck to silence as she had been with Ludo. But this silence was for utterly different reasons. Ludo was the impossible standard she strove for, an idol, a hero, an elder sibling. Safrin was stunning. She shone with brilliant vivacity, life in its purest form, the fullest potential of the light of souls she couried, personified millions of times over across the sky and then bound into the goddess lounging over the rail before her. She had never met Vi. She had never even met a child of the god or goddess of life. But to behold Safrin now, in all her celestial glory, set upon the scene of galaxies behind her, Delphia suddenly knew in her soul why it was her father so adored all that life was.

Could hearts flutter? Was that what she felt?

"It is on the darkest of nights that your light shines most brilliantly." she said, adoration coloring her tone and shining in her eyes. Light and darkness, life and death, Vi and Mort - neither could exist without the other. "Tranquil and sublime, your sky has comforted me for all my years." Next to Safrin, in all her glory, Delphia felt small and inadequate, her messy hair and clumsy limbs not worthy to behold her, the goddess who created the sky she had adored since she could remember.

But at the mention of Ludo and her father, how whatever she sought could not be serious, her expression sobered, the haunted gaze returning to her steely eyes. "I wish it were so, but I have consulted Ludo, and they could not confirm my doubts for nonsense. And my father...well..." she laughed lightly and shook her head. "He is busy, and I do not consider myself so grand as to call upon him for my concerns until I've exhausted all other possible options." When the Heralds had been locked away, it had been different. She had been a Herald in a way. But now with their return, Delphia had been quick to adapt and adopt a new hierarchy, one where she knew the Heralds buffered the higher gods. "In fact...Ludo said I ought speak to your chosen...and so I thought your insight would also help this cause." she said, brows knitting together as the concern rose in her mind, eyes falling briefly.

"I am seeking the souls of the Ascended. The ones the Voice has horded and kept from my father's realm." she said, looking back up at the goddess. "I will seek them out in the Spire first. But...I worry about why she has kept them." Her hands clenched and released, anxiety creeping up as her mind wandered down the dark path of possibility. "I worry that she is using the souls to sustain her own life...for I can think of no other way that a human Acquired could have ever gotten such length of life otherwise...nor any other reason why she would wish to keep them. Ludo did not think it impossible but...you are more the expert of life." she said softly. She hoped Safrin laughed. She hoped she told her she was a silly girl with big fears of things that were impossible.
DELPHIA

Coding base by Sky!

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
“Does my light shine more brightly? Or do you simply perceive it that way?” The goddess mused, though clearly she was happy with the compliment just the same. With a dazzling smile, Safrin pulled in a breath as she let her gaze slip from the stars to Delphi as the younger girl mentioned her lack of success with Ludo. Were her counterparts just sending their strays to her now? First Loren from Frey and now Delphi from Ludo? At least this one seemed to have a good deal more sense than the Launceleyn had, but even so the goddess was not particularly happy with being the one to deal with with her counterpart’s nonsense.

Abandoned.” Safrin clarified immediately, her brow raising ever so slightly before her expression smoothed out as Delphi continued. “Why? I should think that obvious. She is their god, or professes herself to be. Just as all souls from a certain kind of life go to Mort, so too do the ascended souls remain with her. For her to give them up is to admit that she really is just a puppeteer.” That, and as Delphi said, she probably did gain some sort of power from them.

“Amalia and Ronin are seeking similar answers. I would assume that is why Ludo suggested you find them.” She continued mildly. “If they are in the Spire, we cannot help you find them. I’m sure you know that.” Safrin added. “Though to be honest, I doubt she would be that careless with them. After all those centuries of trying to get anyone to break in, that something so precious would be exposed and taken seems surprising.” Then again, the Voice always had been a surprising one. It was how she’d grown to power after all.
Safrin
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
Her smile was radiant as the sun itself and her voice the melodic tune of universes stretching beyond the edge of infinite reality. How could any not behold the Herald of life and not feel the urge to fall to their knees in supplication? How could the Ascended behold their goddess and see anything but a pale shadow of what a goddess truly was with the existence of one such as Safrin? It was beyond her comprehension, and she knew no words could ever sway her from the reality she felt to be true deep within her soul. "Why must either be false? Your stars are most easily perceived when the night is darkest, but to be so resplendent in the darkest of hours is the imagery of the world's greatest heroes and saviors - all of which fade away in the presence of your divine mastery." she said softly, the barest ghost of a smile on her lips. "And why else should the most beautiful women of lore be compared to the moon, if not for its striking luminescence offset by the blackness of the void, in an effort to convey the saddest of attempts to reflect your radience?"

And while her compliments were over the top and flowery, reminiscent surely of those trying to butter the goddess up, Delphia's words came from a deeply honest place in her soul. Mort's daughter was not one to lie or inflate, especially not to a goddess who could see her heart.

"Abandoned." Delphia repeated, taking the correction with grace. It was what they were now known as after all. But her why did not soothe her. She did not outrightly say she was wrong in her suspicion, nor that it was impossible. Her hands clenched, her knuckles turning white as nails dug into and broke the skin of her palms. "She is their god and so she keeps them, and at the very best has watched them suffer for centuries." she said softly, glaring at the ground. But she did not feel herself fill with anger - instead it was dread, pain, sorrow, grief. The compassion she had been given and conditioned with under Mort's guiding hand shrunk back from the reality like an animal struck one too many times. "To think, she probably thinks it love." she said, now barely more than a whisper.

But Delphia focused on the goddesses words, looking back up at her with a troubled countenance. "Yes, and I assume the Spire is not the only such place that the Voice has created that is beyond your reach?" she asked. To have created but one such safehouse seemed a massive oversight when six divine beings were against you, she thought. "But could any that tried to break into the Spire in all those years even see them? Humans are not particularly good at looking for things which they cannot perceive." she said. If there was no threat that the souls could be found, then why take the time to go to such great lengths as to hide them? That she could perceive the dead, and moreover remove them from this world to go to Mort was not a skill she believed to have been regularly developed.
DELPHIA

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
Oh, Safrin might have argued. There were flaws in the girl's words but how could she possibly care, not with such sweet imagery and flattery showered upon her in abundance? Hubris had been the goddess's downfall in the past and likely would be once more, but so what? And it was true; Safrin could well see into the fluctuating core of the demi-god, could see the genuine seeds that had grown into the wildflower bouquet of words that she'd offered up. It wasn't surprising that one of Mort's would have such a golden soul, though there had been exceptions in the past. Delphi wasn't apparently not one of them.

Whether or not the souls of the ascended suffered with the Voice was beyond Safrin's ken as well as her jurisdiction. She breathed life into the world at the behest of Vi, what came next was not for her to worry over. "Probably she does." The goddess agreed with a nod.

"Probably not." There likely were many such safe houses all throughout Caido, though the goddess had not a clue where any of them might be. "I am not sure. Not that I have heard of, though before a year ago the Spire had never been breached." Pausing, the goddess frowned for a moment. "Do you think your abilities can ever sense their souls? Changed and tainted as they are?"
Safrin
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
Probably. Said twice by the goddess in short succession. It pained Delphia to hear it. The gods were to know all. They did know all when it came to their respective areas. That the Voice so eluded them, that she had disrupted the balance enough that her whereabouts and activities and thoughts were only probably. It was wrong. It was not the way the world was intended to be. ”It is as if we are chasing a ghost then…as some might say.” she said, a hint of a smirk curling her lips. Clearly the saying did not apply to her or her ken, chasing ghosts was what Delphia did. But the meaning would translate in a sense, as the Voice was just beyond their reach.

For now.

But at Safrin’s question, Delphia immediately nodded without hesitation, smiling adoringly up at her. ”A soul is a soul, and the dead are the dead. No change or taint would disguise that from me. Though, depending on what state they are in, what depths of madness they have sunk to, they might be a bit unruly.” she said with a slight shrug. They might throw things, knock things over…a bonafide tantrum of the dead. But she would find a way around that to ferry them away. ”If only one could tame a Cat Sith. Their ability to find and take lost souls from the most random of places would certainly be useful.” she said with a light laugh. It would allow her to collect more at once as well, spread her senses further, especially if they were kept in multiple places within the Spire. But alas, she had never seen a Cat Sith kitten to claim and raise up to be amenable to working for Mort rather than against him.
DELPHIA

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
"Well you shouldn't have any problems, then should you?" Safrin chuckled back, picking up on the thread Delphi had left for her to pull with a warm smile.

"Unless of course she has done something to mask them...the way she upgrades the living. I wonder if she can't do the same to the soul...or perhaps just the vessel that they are contained in." The goddess muttered this in a colourless voice, eyes narrowings lightly as she gazed somewhere just over Delphi's shoulder.

The mention of a Cat Sith had the goddess chuckling. "True, until it takes the souls and hoards them in its lair." Which of course it was likely to do. And demigod or not, Delphi would have a hard time prying a well-won soul away from one of the fickle felines.
Safrin
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
Delphia grinned as Safrin took her joke and ran with it, her heart swelling with pride and joy. ”Shouldn’t being the key word there.” she said, still smiling. The Voice was tricky. While things shouldn’t be difficult, she was humble enough to recognize there were gaps in her knowledge and abilities likely.

The daughter of Mort hummed low at the implications of Safrin’s words. ”I am not certain…my instinct is that she could not. Souls are not corporeal, they lack the sort of physicality that the Voice tampers with in the human body.” she said lightly, lips pursing for a moment. ”Unless she relied more on her magical abilities to do so.” The thought alone made her uncomfortable. First to tear souls apart to sustain herself, and now altering them entirely? It was far too much torture of innocent dead for Delphia to bear, lips curving down in a slight frown.

But even tampered with, it would still be a dead soul she could sense…hopefully.

Delphia laughed lightly and tapped the side of her nose. ”True enough, lest I made myself the place it took souls for safekeeping.” she said conspiratorially. Of course, it still begged the question of if it was even possible. Though, that was perhaps a better question for someone under the guidance of Rae, it was still nice to conjecture with someone who played along with the word games nicely.
DELPHIA

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
"Incorporeal yes, but they have certain properties. The way that certain magics work against only some of the races, so too can jails be made to hold a certain calibre of soul."

Snorting at the idea of befriending and somehow controlling one of the Cat Sith's, the goddess shrugged her shoulders with a gentle sigh. "Would that you could, your collection of souls would be much easier." Though in the moment all the goddess could think of was a bunch of sobered-on souls dropped like dead birds on the girl's doorfront. "Such creatures would be more familiar to Ludo though. It might know how to trap one."
Safrin
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
Delphia’s brows furrowed, lips pursed in a frown as Safrin poked holes in her confidence. Such a thing was unimaginable to her, having seen and felt souls of the departed all her life. To think that one could change the very essence of life itself scared her, and it was hard to shake the girl who so regularly faced death with a smile. ”I shall be particularly vigilant in my search then, and keep this counsel close at heart and top of mind.” she said, forcing a smile, though it didn’t quite reach her eyes. She had never failed Mort before, and though she did not fear retribution, she equally did not wish to disappoint him. Or any of the gods really.

But her expression lighted as Safrin almost laughed at her conjecture of controlling the Cat Sith, and she laughed lightly herself. ”Thank you for your good counsel and wisdom, Safrin, I would not keep you overlong, as tempting as it would be remain here with you. I shall be sure you learn all that I do of the Voice’s ploys with these souls…and perhaps next time I’ll have a kitten for you to meet.” she said with a light laugh.
DELPHIA

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
Nodding, and appreciating the girl's diligence in the face of such a truly unimaginable feat, Safrin smiled. Raising a brow to hear that Delphia seemed intent on trying to befriend one of Ludo's horrific creatures, the goddess merely shrugged her shoulders and sighed. The girl was no mere mortal and thus the goddess wouldn't treat her as one. She'd given her warnings. Let the demi-god do as she pleased.

"Until next time, then." Safrin said with a satin-tinged smile. Disappearing in a whisper of starlight and leaving behind her the scent of jasmine and lilac, Delphia would feel refreshed and rejuvenated for having been in the goddess's presence.
Safrin