Oh, the weather outside is frightful
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Ahh, yes, I can see that. Kaimana was much the same, the dragon mused, glad and grateful for the heads up. He always tried to be patient, especially with new acquaintances, but since his brush with the blight his temper had gotten the better of him more often than it used to. It was good to have a reminder to hold it in check and try and find the equilibrium he had once found more easily, before he had grown so bitter and angry against the Voice. It had seeped into other aspects of his approach to the world as well, like a slow poison that was blinding him so gradually that he hadn't even noticed it.

It was a thought he would need to spend time musing on when the cold didn't threaten their lives as they traveled.

Fiat Lux and gods were intertwined, though Mort and Ludo - and therefore this Delphia, one might assume - would have little to do with such a celebration. Jigano hummed thoughtful agreement, taking Loren's opinion into account as he hadn't with Abasi's. Loren had proved himself several times over as one worth trusting, and Jigano was willing to take his instincts seriously, however strange a 'daughter of Mort' sounded when there was already a Ludo.

No... my questions for Safrin have not received much satisfaction in the way of answers either, he agreed quietly, before shaking himself and dislodging the snow that had begun to stick to his gleaming scales. But enough of her. You asked about Fiat Lux! Frey's festival - Rae's too, I would assume - and a more pleasant topic all around.

He snaked his head back to snort with determined good humor towards the honey badger before looking ahead again. It's a celebration of life and survival, for those that made it through LongNight. Renewal and new beginnings play a role as well. We honor the memory of those lost in the previous year by lighting a candle along the Ring of Fire - a great wheel set out in the middle of the festival that is filled with candles that burn and send their light into the nights of the party. And yes, it lasts several days and nights, until exhaustion finally shuts it down. There is honeybeer and magna vermis grilled, fried, on a stick, and in sandwiches. Tastes like chicken, he added reassuringly. Despite being from a giant earthworm. There's music and dancing all through the night, and games for children and adults, and, ah... well. A great deal of worshiping of Frey happens discretely wherever anyone can grab a bit of privacy. And maybe the bard sounded just a little smug at that tidbit.

Maybe.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

loren
Sending a pulse of amusement, Loren took a second to consider the two children of Rae. It’s a little different. Kai understands metaphors and facial expressions. Oia’i’o doesn’t really get either. Again, it was clear that the summoner didn’t think there was anything wrong with that.

As Jigano spoke of Safrin, the Launceleyn radiated understanding and comfort. She didn’t give me exactly the answers I was looking for either. But maybe I need to rely less on gods. I’m sure they’d say so. At least he’d gotten some information,and he tried to make himself satisfied with that.

He wasn’t sure how successful he was.

However, any traces of pettiness departed as he listened to the bard’s explanation of Fiat Lux. Instead, he felt a bubbly excitement. Well. I’m not usually a fan of parties. But that all sounds great to me. He made a mental note to come up with some suitable offering for Frey.
Never judge a book by its cover.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
I see your point, Jigano admitted, grateful for the correction of his misunderstanding before it had gotten too far. Hopefully he'd see for himself soon, but it wouldn't be this day unless the twins had come to Halo ahead of them and were waiting at the Citadel for their arrival - an unlikely state of affairs.

They can be a conundrum, the dragon mused as snow started to fall around them light and blown around by the wind. On the one hand they seem to want prayer and worship... on the other, they often seem to find such things tedious, even tiresome. Though I'd guess a lot of it has to do with who is doing the praying. The gods had their favorites, to be sure, though all of them could be fickle in their own ways.

Fiat Lux, at least, was a topic bright with anticipation and fun for the whole family. There was a great deal to look forward to, and no true downside as long as one came well-rested - or willing to steal a nap in the back of a friendly stall. After LongNight, we need it, Jigano said with a grunt of amused acknowledgment. I was thinking of putting up a stall this year for the Guild, to try and recruit new members. But I'm afraid we're a boring-looking bunch when we're just sitting around, he admitted ruefully. Do you have any ideas for what we could do to decorate or draw attention to ourselves?
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

loren
Loren was silent for a long while after Jigano's explanation of the gods. I wouldn't know, really. Sighing mentally, the summoner stared at the dragon's much larger back. This was my first encounter with Safrin, and she was less than pleased that I sought her out. Frey was the one who blessed me, which she seemed to take as a slight.

The Launceleyn's thoughts were underscored with equal parts confusion, curiosity, and yes, annoyance. I wasn't aware there were such rivalries between the old gods. Or am I missing something? Seeing as the bard was far more familiar with these matters than Loren, he figured Jigano would have some explanation.

At the question, the summoner felt surprise rise up within him. We collect legends and stories, don't we? Why not tell them? It seemed reasonable. You were a bard, weren't you? And Amalia did that puppet show. So I'm sure you and her can put the appropriate spin on things.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
That sounds about right, Jigano agreed to Loren's thoughts on Safrin's pride with a sense of a sigh in the mental connection. Amalia and I learned much from an old book that Safrin translated parts of for us last year... back when I was in her better graces, he added, finding his dragon's muzzle ill-suited for grimacing. Among the Old Gods, there aren't rivalries that she revealed to us. Rather the opposite, with Vi and Mort being very much in love with each other and Rae content to pursue their own interests. It's their heralds who chafe and rub each other wrong. I don't know how much of that is from before the barrier, or a result of being trapped together within it for so long without the, ah, mitigating influence of their creators, though. It might be that they're simply diametrically opposed to each other because of what they are, or it may be as simple as the old 'familiarity breeds contempt' saying, after three hundred years of being stuck together. He couldn't quite shrug as he was walking, but his wings rose and fell in an approximation of the gesture. Either way, Safrin seems to want a person's undivided faith and loyalty. Ludo and Frey seem less...'attached' to their worshipers, but they also don't seem to have much liking for each other, and some of that rubs off on those humans who follow the other gods. A combination of what he'd learned in the book, from observation, and gathered from stories of others who had visited the shrines over the past year.

It's possible to walk a line between the three of them. Amalia does, at least. But it isn't easy, and I think she gets some leeway because she's a Natural, he admitted, just glad that Amalia remained in the good graces of those deities she had worshiped all her life.

Fiat Lux was never far from his mind at the moment, and he had hoped Loren could add something to his thoughts on the stall. His suggestions were so simple and obvious that Jigano had missed them completely, and the dragon barked a booming laugh into the snow, setting off an avalanche on a distant peak. Couldn't see the forest for the trees, he admitted cheerfully. Sly humor tinged his tone as he slanted a brief glance back, the edges of his scaled mouth curling briefly upwards. Not just Amalia and I, though, my friend! You're a Loreseeker now, too, and you'll can have a chance to spin your own tales 'afore the festival is through! He chuckled to himself before another thought caught him, and he hummed in lingering amusement. How do you feel about riddle games? And if we did one, what sort of prizes could we give?
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Staying quiet throughout Jigano's explanation about the gods, Loren sent a pulse of appreciation towards the bard when the summoner figured the white-haired man was done. Thanks. That’s good to know. I’ll keep that in mind the next time I speak to one of the heralds. Then amusement filtered through the Launceleyn’s mind. Assuming I speak to them again, of course.

At Jiganos’ enthusiasm, Loren grew a little bit embarrassed. I’m not much one for parties or games, as I mentioned. And I'm not sure you want me in front of crowds. I can do riddles, though. Maybe give the winners a calligraphed scroll? Something with useful information and nice pictures relevant to their profession or life? The summoner was far less sure about the potential reward. Or candy. People love sweets, and I have a lot at the Manor that no one will eat anymore. There was a great deal of sadness underscoring that thought.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano returned the amusement, ducking his head in a quiet snort. Oh, I suspect you'll be more in their good graces now that you've got an Attuned side. For good or ill... Because as Loren well knew, the attention of the gods could be double-edged blade, and they all had their fickle sides. A god that spurned you one day could welcome you the next, or vice versa, without any way to know before the prayer whether your visit would be welcome or spurned. And just because a god liked you, it didn't mean they wouldn't ask some impossible task of you in return for that favor...

As Jigano's current impasse with his dear friend Sam over the portals currently showed.

Better to focus on Fiat Lux, and inducting the newest Loreseeker into the fun of the festival. Even if he was suddenly a bit shy about it, earning a sharp-toothed grin that was hidden by the dragon's bulk. Candy might be easiest. Something we can hand out right away. A calligraphed scroll might not be much of a prize to someone who can't read, and it would take a few days to pull together. He'd run into a number of illiterate folk, both Natural and Outlander, so he no longer took it for granted that people would be able to read warnings or notes. But having a riddle game alongside the storytelling, for breaks in between, might be fun! I'll take you up on running it, he agreed gleefully. I'll be splitting my time between helping the musicians and the booth for most of it. Perhaps I can make a stock of folded paper creatures for prizes... The little origami creations his mother had taught him to make weren't very sturdy, but they were cute things that could be unfolded and used as regular paper if necessary, so there was some utility to them as well, at least. Do you have any other hidden talents? What is it that you like to do, if we ever had free time between catastrophes? he asked curiously, if with wry resignation that they rarely got the chance to do anything simply for the sake of relaxing on Caido.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren tried not to let Jigano’s comment bother the summoner too much. Still, little fingers of fear crept their way down his spine, and his footsteps came down a bit more forcefully for a while. I am aware. Though I’ve also been told both that I should stay out of fights, preferably entirely, but especially if they aren’t mine, and that not all the followers of the old gods are going to follow their tenets. Particularly in regards to the portals. The summoner couldn’t stop the concern for his friends, Ascended and portal guardians both, from spilling out through his bond with the white-haired man.

Thankfully, the discussion of Fiat Lux was a welcome distraction, one that calmed the Launceleyn. However, he sent a pulse of curiosity to the bard. Some people can’t read? I was under the impression that the Hollowed Grounds taught all their children to do so. Loren was quiet for a long while. Maybe that should be my first class then. However, his thoughts were uncertain about that.

You’re probably right about the candy versus the scroll. Then, though, a great deal of chagrined embarrassment welled up within the summoner. I walked into that, didn’t I? Giving the mental equivalent of a sigh, Loren followed it up with agreement. I’ll man the booth, especially because I haven’t heard anything from Phoebe. Folded paper creatures might be a nice prize as well.

Then he mentally sighed again. No hidden talents. I like to read, though I’ve been doing much less of that lately. He was silent for a long time, thoughts clearly troubled. I was a child soldier and mage, then a spy turned farmer turned librarian. Not exactly a whole lot of time to develop hobbies. There was a great deal of sadness and regret wrapped up in those thoughts, though the Launceleyn did his best to banish them. I can juggle. Does that count? Then he decided to turn it around on the other man. How about you?
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The portals are a thorny matter, Jigano agreed with a sigh. If they weren't tools of the Voice I'd gladly admit that there is potential for much good in them... but given who made them, there is also potential for much harm, even danger. I suspect they're how she moved troops around in the previous war, though I have no proof of it. Wait for reports that a region the old gods controlled was weak, or trick them into moving their own fighters to a different place and then use the portals to swiftly move her own pawns into the area to claim it? Entirely possible - even probable, if she was a halfway decent general. The Ascended were few in number now, yes, but they were growing every season.

Fiat Lux was a gentler topic, though the illiteracy in the Hollowed Grounds was one that often seemed strange to Outlanders - himself included, when he had first arrived. Not all, he said with a mental shrug. It seems to be more common in those who live in town, but less so out among the farms. Maea Valair, who was once a Loreseeker, was illiterate when she first came to us, and there have been others. His own mate, Rory, struggled still to read anything on the Notice Board, often asking the bard to read it for him for ease of time. He suspected Granger couldn't read, either, and Adam was receiving secret lessons as well, though as an Outlander perhaps he didn't count. First, or at least among the first, he agreed. The Loreseekers have provided one-on-one lessons almost since our inception, but a codified way of teaching would be useful, too.

Candy would probably go over better than calligraphy in a place as down-to-earth as the barrierlands anyways. Jigano managed to look downright smug as the dragon sauntered through a thinner section of snow with Loren's agreement, head coming up against the wind. Thank you, he said graciously, pleased that he had Loren's assistance with something that would hopefully be fun and give the mage a chance to relax.

Especially in light of his words that followed, painting a picture of a bleak history leavened only slightly by his talent for juggling. It counts, the dragon rumbled assurance. Though I hope you have a chance to find more now. He left out that Loren no longer needed to worry about his family; both of them were wise enough to always worry about Zariah. Me? Too many to pursue even if I had all the time in the world, he admitted with a chuckle. I was a bard before I came to Caido. The flute, the lap harp, the finger drums... song and tale, all part of the performances I used to give to earn my room and board at the inns I traveled between. There, it was my livelihood. Here, it has become more hobby than job. In the early days it was how he had established himself, working for Vervain in the Rathskeller. That seemed ages ago though, rather than mere seasons. I also dabble a bit in smithcraft; my father's legacy, and... Caiside's. His dead friend's name fell with a sigh from his thoughts, the grief softening with the passage of time but not forgotten. And there is my mother's paper-folding craft she taught me as part of my meditations. It seems uncommon here, he added musingly.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren was silent for a while in the face of Jigano’s words. Then, though the summoner was more than a bit nervous, he replied with perhaps not the wisest comment. I wonder, sometimes, who struck the first blow. It nagged at him, not knowing that crucial detail.

The conversation about illiteracy was troubling in a different way. At least there was something they could do about it, not that the Launceleyn was super confident in his abilities on that front. I don’t know Maea. But do you think she, and others, would be willing to come to a class rather than one-on-one sessions? It was clear how uncertain he was about that.

Rather than respond with words to the bard’s thanks, Loren just sent a pulse of acknowledgement. It faded to something far less pleasant. To be clear, the juggling was a dexterity and focus exercise. It just also happens to double as a party trick. Then he gave that mental sigh again and banished the dark thoughts as best he could from his mind.

Luckily, he had the white-haired man’s words to focus on instead. You’ve got quite a few hobbies. And skills. There might’ve been a bit of awe, and yes, jealousy, for a life of freedom and choice rather than the mental and physical prison that the summoner had been constrained to (by both himself and others). However, he immediately felt ashamed for feeling that way. You keep mentioning this paper-folding. What exactly is it? I just know the regular meditation.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Given their positions it wasn't easy to see the dragon nod, but a flicker of agreement came back through the bond. I wonder it often, he admitted soberly. Believe it or not, when I first arrived I was just as curious about the Voice as I was about the old gods. My bias against her is built on personal experience. Particularly surrounding the blight, he added, grim. But having seen the old gods and their loathing of her, I can just as easily believe that they struck first, in an attempt to humble a potential rival, as to believe that she did, ambitious for even greater power and intending to take it from those who held it. It's something that every Loreseeker should be on the lookout for, though in the end we may have to piece together multiple accounts to try and find the truth of it. In the end, it currently mattered less about who started it, than what all the gods intended to do about each other now that that Voice was free again... and killing people to get her portals back up and running.

Mmm. The class might be better aimed at the younger ones in the settlement, Jigano agreed thoughtfully. The adults tend to be more embarrassed about it, so privacy and discretion suits them better. The school and the guild can certainly work hand in hand that way, though, to try and reach all of those who want to learn. That, or any other lesson or skill you find teachers for, he added with a warm pulse of approval for Loren's enterprise.

There was little that he could say to the dark turn of Loren's thoughts, other than to slow his pace a little and let the mage - and schoolmaster? - know that he had the dragon's support. He couldn't change the other man's past, but hopefully he would be allowed to help in building a brighter future for his new guildmate.

He had come from a different world - both physically and emotionally, in many ways. He had no siblings or extended family, but he'd grown up with loving parents, even if his father and he had often clashed in his teenage years. That foundation was likely why he had survived the crucible that had come later - thankfully not until after he was an adult. I'm a few years older than you, as well, he chuckled back, pleased by how impressed Loren sounded. You'll collect a few more in the next five or six years, too. But the paper-folding is an art from my parents' homeland, called 'origami.' My mother used it as a meditation exercise to focus her divine magic, and when I was born the same as she, well, I learned at her knee from the time my attention span was long enough to see a piece through, and my fingers deft enough to manage it without crinkling the paper, he added, amused at the memories of his earliest attempts to copy his mother's art.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Reassurance washed through Loren at Jigano's reply. However, the summoner didn't know what to say in response. Well. If I stumble across a potential answer, no matter how questionable, I'll let you and the Loreseeker's know. However, he was pretty sure he wouldn't find the answers, at least not easily.

He sent a pulse of agreement towards the bard. Makes sense. I'll work on it. As the dragon slowed and encouragement spread through their bond, however, the Launceleyn responded with a great deal of gratitude.

Maybe that was why this time, when the conversation swung around to the white-haired man's childhood, Loren was simply able to be happy for Jigano. Hopefully. But that sounds wonderful. What kind of things did you make with this origami?
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Gratitude came back along the bond, glad to have another pair of eyes on the lookout for answers. They wouldn't come easily, but the more people looking for them the more likely they would be found. Loren seemed to have little stake in the war between the gods and might be the most level-headed when it came to interpreting such information, Jigano mused to himself. Sam was connected to the Voice in a way that blinded him to her sins, and he had yet to take Ingrid's measure. Amalia he trusted to still share the truth even if it was unpalatable... but he knew it had the potential to wound her deeply. He had his own bias to deal with now, and being aware of it didn't make it easier to see through. Hopefully we'll all share what we find with each other, he agreed.

Gentler memories were welcome, warming the dragon a little from within in spite of Halo's brutal cold and the wind that gusted unpredictably through the mountain path. Little animals, in a stylized way, he explained cheerfully. I've made offerings of them before, to some success. Small boxes, or simple star lanterns, or little boats... it's a just a trick of how many folds you can fit on a piece of paper, or fitting several pieces together. It's hard to find paper here of the right quality, though. The admission came with a regretful flicker through the bond. I need to find someone with creation magic to help me get the right thinness and color vibrancy. The best paper is colored on one side and white on the other, for contrast. Remi or Deimos were the only two he was aware of, but they were usually busy with families or militias or more important things that he didn't want to bother them with something so minor.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren could sense that Jigano was troubled through the bond, but little more than that. So the summoner just sent was reassurance he could through the link. Hopefully. I will, at least. And I’ll keep searching. That declaration carried equal parts determination and curiosity.

A great deal of amusement bubbled up within the summoner. It sounds wonderful. But you do remember I have creation magic, right? There was a slightly teasing tone in the Launceleyn’s thoughts. Not much, but a little. I’ll trade you colored paper for lessons. He found he was more than a bit excited in the prospect.

In the distance, something appeared on the horizon, even through the snow. Peering around the dragon, Loren found his pace picking. Think that’s the Citadel? The excitement had faded, replaced by a watchful wariness.