a weed by any other name (open)
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

loren
Grinning, Loren crossed his arms. ”Really? You sure about that? In that case, I want to see him try to flatten you as a dragon while he’s a tiger.” Then, however, his smile faded as he listened to Jigano explain what he'd once been. "I'm glad you're happy with your current shifts." The smile came back, albeit more gently than before.

The Launceleyn hesitated. "Well. As I said, I didn't get a good look at them. They were wolflike, though, and definitely traveled in a group." Again, he shrugged. "Between the squash and the flowers, it wouldn't surprise me if more vegetation started attacking us." He made a show of peering at the fields, squinting suspiciously at them. Then he turned back to the white-haired man. "Do I want to know what a Wicker Woman is?" Loren's tone indicated that he very much wanted to know.
Never judge a book by its cover.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
"...Actually, I kind of would, too," Jigano agreed with a grin that held a sly, sharp-toothed humor to it. "Though he'd still probably win in a prolonged tousle." Maybe, maybe not. The bard was still deceptively lean, but beneath the loose clothing he habitually wore muscles had hardened to a fine, taut strength that was echoed in his dragon form's sinuously muscled length. "And most of them, yes. The dragon... is taking some getting used to, after what the Voice did to me," he admitted with a more sober mien, the humor fading from his eyes for a moment. "But the rest all give me abilities and senses that I am grateful for."

He nodded at Loren's clarification, smile returning, however wry. "Well, the Wicker Women are firmly rooted - for now, at least. After this I'll be watching out for traveling ones though. They're as much carnivores as these little beauties, but they're slower about it." He dusted his hands off as he stood, nudging a vegetative carcass with his toe. "They're full-sized trees, all gnarled and twisted, and they respond to motion. If you brush by one it'll curl a branch around you and pull you back to the trunk. The more you struggle, the tighter it holds you," he wrapped his arms around himself in demonstration. "Fight too hard and you might break the surface of the bark, releasing the sap - which is the real danger. Get it on your skin and you'll start hallucinating - and stop fighting, until you starve to death in its drug-addled embrace." He released himself, shoulders dropping as he pretended to go limp a moment before straightening up again. "They're pretty uncommon around here, but there are more of them in the Greatwood. Be on the lookout for trees that have piles of bones around the roots, or animals perched in the branches that are caught there with tendrils wrapped around their legs, holding them in place." A gruesome sight, but all too often one that blended in with the loam and underbrush or leaves above, masking the Wicker Women from easy sight.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

loren
Loren let out another huff of laughter. ”I’m sure that can be arranged.” Tilting his head, he gave Jigano an appraising look. ”You wanna take my place during Fiat Lux? I’m supposed to have an exhibition match with Deimos, and I’m pretty sure I’m going to lose.” However, the summoner’s expression softened as the bard explained his difficulties with the dragon shape. ”Well we can’t have that. Let’s get you used to your dragon shape.” There was a great deal of enthusiasm in the Launceleyn’s voice.

As the white-haired man explained what the Wicker Women were, Loren grimaced. "Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for them." Then the corners of his lips quirked up. "How do they feel about fire?" Again, there was a great deal of enthusiasm in his tone, but obviously this time it might be more than a bit concerning to Jigano.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Jigano snorted at the 'offer,' blue eyes bright with amusement. "Oh no, friend, you got yourself into that mess, you can get yourself out! I'll come by to cheer you on, though," he promised with a grin. "I'll even bring a honeybeer to help numb the pain of your impending doom at our General's mighty hands." The bard had a particular soft spot for the drink after last year's festival, though in truth he only cared to drink it with Rory. That didn't mean he couldn't deliver mugs to others, though, especially those who hadn't been around last year to participate in the festivities.

His smile softened and a pulse of warm gratitude slipped through the Attuned bond as he nodded his head in acceptance and agreement. "Thank you. I would... appreciate that. I would like it very much, to have friends help, in fact." To replace the helplessness and shame of being bound motionless in his newest and most powerful form, reduced to little more than an insect under the Voice's cold electric gaze.

His lesson on Wicker Women fell on eager ears, and he nodded at Loren's swift soaking up of the information, but the question a moment later caught him a little off guard and he blinked. "Ahh... well, I've never had the opportunity to ask," he admitted, joking weakly as he saw that Loren was probably quite serious. "But I don't think the trees around them are very fond of it. And in Longheat a whole section of woods can go up from a stray flinthopper spark, so if you're going to experiment, do it now or in Deepfrost," he cautioned wryly. "I take it that means you've added fire magic to your extensive arsenal?"
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Waving a hand vaguely, a sky blue glow suffused it for just a moment before Loren dismissed his healing magic. ”Good thing I can heal. I’ll take your consolation beer, though.” Then the corners of his lips twitched. ”And I’ll be sure to mention to Deimos that you’re eager to test your skills against his as well.” Although he was teasing Jigano, the summoner absolutely serious about telling the General.

The Launceleyn smiled at the word friends, a real smile that lit up his whole face. ”You’re very welcome.” Rubbing his hands together, he gave the bard an appraising look. ”What would you like to do?” There was a great deal of enthusiasm behind those words.

Shaking his head, he held out a hand, and the water from a nearby puddle leapt and danced at his call. ”I’m not that worried about fires spreading.” He grinned, then let go of his magic, clasping his hands behind his back. ”No, not fire magic. But I torched the tree wolves with a phoenix.” Then his joyful expression faltered. ”Actually, I don’t even know if I can summon a phoenix anymore.” His eyes and voice were troubled.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Oh, he's tested me, and found me wanting!" Jigano assured Loren with a laugh. "He tried teaching me how to use a short sword and while I didn't think I was necessarily bad at it, compared to him I was like a toddler with a stick. I'm a rapier fighter, through and through, but you can't parry a broadsword with one, and they're not great for fighting on a line, either." He shrugged, knowing his limitations and where his skills were best focused. Battles with lightly-armed opponents or magic users who didn't wield heavy weapons, running actions where speed mattered more than brute force, or most of all serving as support for logistics, supplies, and healing wounded.

Besides, for all the improvements made to his and Deimos' relationship recently, the General was not one that he'd ask for help with his newest form. No slight to the General, but it was too easy for the rough edges of their bristled past to scrape the wrong way when his nerves were already raw from the Voice's manhandling.

"I'm... not sure," he admitted slowly after a moment. "For now, just spending time in it, getting used to it, as we did on the way to the Citadel before helps. At some point I should practice fighting and hunting in it as well. The other forms feel like an extension of me, of my mind and soul. Perhaps because I was never human until I came here, the instincts never felt strange or overwhelming. But... the dragon form is... emotions are stronger, rawer, more overpowering. Rage rises more swiftly, hot and cold at the same time, and it's frightening, how easy it is to lose myself against them," he admitted in a low voice. "At least, when something strikes my temper."

He nodded wry agreement at the reminder of Loren's water powers, but his eyes widened at the reminder of Loren's previous ability to summon vast arrays of strange creatures. "Why not? I've seen you summon a Spark Bird; a phoenix shouldn't be any harder, I'd think?" he asked hesitantly, wondering if he was missing something obvious.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren gave Jigano an appraising look. ”Recently?” The word held quite a bit of curiosity, as the summoner would be quite surprised if the two other men had sparred since the bard had discovered he could turn into a dragon. While Deimos had quite a bit of martial experience, it was hard to beat a dragon.

Actually, that thought caused the Launceleyn to grin. ”Perhaps we can kill two birds with one stone. You and Deimos can have a rematch, which will give you a chance to get used to your new form, and its volatile emotions.” He sounded quite pleased with himself, though it faded somewhat. ”Personally, I’ve always found it better not to try and make myself into something I’m not. Instead I try to play to my strengths while I train.” There was a much more subdued quality to his voice, as his mind flashed back to the childhood of being left to fend for himself against much more powerful mages.

”Sadly, I can’t summoner spark birds anymore.” He gave the other man a chagrined look. ”The gods determined that summoning was far too powerful a magic to leave in the hands of any Abandoned, so they did something to alter it. I can still summon normal animals just fine, but the only beast of legend I’ve been able to manage since LongNight is a unicorn.” However, his brow furrowed, and the unicorn disappeared, its flowers drifting to the ground.

Then he called upon his summoning magic once more, picturing a phoenix in the sky above them. To his delight and relief, it sprang into being, wings of fire and body of flame arcing through the space above their heads. He let out a laugh of pure joy as light and heat washed over them.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Ahh... maybe... last Longheat?" he hazarded sheepishly, realizing only in that moment that it had been almost a year since he and Deimos had come together to help each other prepare for revolts and rebellions against the would-be Launceleyn Queen at the time. But at Loren's suggestion he shook his head, humor fading somewhat. There was no way for Loren to know of the difficulties he and Deimos had in their shared past, and the bard disliked bringing them up, but...

"No, I don't think so. Not with other people around to get caught in the crossfire if I lose control," he said grimly. "And Deimos and I... we have a history. I wouldn't face him even for a game in my dragon form right now." Too easy to remember the sparks they struck from each other, the insults and anger as often as laughter and aid.

He wasn't the only one feeling a bit chagrined as their conversation turned to firebirds and summoning magic. He blinked in surprise at hearing how the gods had meddled in magic - something he'd thought they had little control over, or they would have removed it from human hands long ago. "Well, Wessex was still able to summon a frost giant," he said dryly. "So apparently it wasn't all changed." And then a phoenix sprang into being above them, and its light and warmth brought a grin to Jigano's face as much as Loren's laugh did. "A unicorn and a phoenix!" he confirmed with a grin for his friend. "Who knows what else you can still forth?" Perhaps the right circumstance would reveal what remained. "If nothing else, we'll need to update the Guild records on summoning magic," he mused, half to himself.
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Loren paused, and gave Jigano a sympathetic look. ”An unhappy history, I take it?” Letting out a sigh, the summoner ran a hand through his hair. Then, though, he grinned. ”Well. Longheat was a long time ago. And people around here are pretty forgiving.” His tone and expression softened. ”I know Deimos hates to talk. But maybe it might be worth a shot, trying to talk to him.” Still, there was more than a bit of uncertainty in the Launceleyn’s voice.

At the mention of Wessex, however, Loren’s lips tightened and he gave the bard an unhappy look. ”She bit me before LongNight, because I gave her the magic to protect people for the monsters. Before the gods intervened. Maybe it was just residual, since the magic had already been given to her in that form, and the gods couldn’t get to it.” He shrugged, not really sure if that was the real answer or not.

Unfortunately, the comment about the former Queen was enough to dampen even the summoner’s joy about the rediscovered phoenix. Waving a hand, he dismissed it. ”I certainly don’t know. But yes, you should update them. I’d be happy to help.” Subconsciously, he hugged himself.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"We've had our ups and downs," the bard acknowledge dryly. "And we've spoken. It's not as though we hate each other, and we can work together quite well. I trust him to have my back when it comes to trouble, and I do like him, more often than not... but when it comes to deliberately provoking my temper, he is not one I would chose to spar with," he added after a short pause. He had, in fact, trusted Deimos to use his life drain magic against Jigano's healing magic - a contest the General had won, hands down. But there was a difference between that in his human form, controlled and matched, and facing a man who had a way of getting under his skin when he was already facing difficulties controlling an inhuman temper in a body whose power was more then a little daunting.

He simply nodded to hear that it was Loren's magic that had been taken. "You couldn't know what she would do with it," he said quietly. Not that Wessex would ever willingly give up a weapon. It was just a reminder that there was no guarantee that an Ascended would use blood and power for what they said they would, not when their goddess might have a different direction for it to be used instead. "And that makes sense." If the Old Gods could shut down the power within Ascended, surely they would have done so long ago. Since they hadn't, that likely meant they couldn't.

The phoenix was a welcome sign of brightness, and Jigano nodded with a wry smile at his friend. "Good, I was hoping you'd offer. You're the Guild's resident expert on local magic now, so I'll entrust those records to you to update going forward, if you don't mind."
the Firebrand

Change author:

loren
Listening intently to Jigano’s recounting of his relationship with Deimos, Loren finally shrugged. ”Alright. Whatever you’re comfortable with. I’m sure we can find a way for you to master your dragon.” He gave the bard a sympathetic and understanding smile.

Sighing, the Launceleyn ran a hand through his hair, but nodded. At the white-haired man’s agreement with Loren’s guess, the corners of his lips quirked up. ”Somehow, that doesn’t make me feel better.” There was a rueful weariness in his voice.

Letting out a huff of laughter, the Launceleyn shook his head. ”If you want a local expert, on magic and everything else, you need to get the demi-gods to join the Loreseekers. Not Ronin, the rest of them. They know more about this world than anyone but the gods, and are much more willing to part with its secrets.” However, he again nodded, this time in agreement.

Glancing at the severely beat up flowers, he smiled. ”I’ll take care of it until we find someone better. For now, I should probably get on with checking the irrigation system, which is what I was planning to do before the flowers sidetracked me. See you around!” Giving a little wave, he turned and trudged towards the ditch that now encircled the Fields.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano gave his friend a pulse of gratitude for his understanding over the complications in his history with Deimos. He let the topic drop, though bringing up Wessex wasn't going to improve his mood. At least he had company in that, Loren clearly unhappy with how things had turned out as well, and the bard nodded rueful agreement that even though it wasn't his fault, the guilt would remain a while longer yet. Gods least fortunate, but Jigano understood that.

"Funny you should mention that," he agreed at the mention of demigods, spirits finally rising again. "Kaimana has promised to bring his sister by the Guildhall sometime. I'd like to try and recruit them if I can. Please talk the Guild up to them if you get the chance!" Though he still thought that Loren had more practical experience with Caido magic than he thought Kai did. Or at least, the powers of the demigods didn't fit neatly into those of the Abandoned mages, and might be completely different in source as well as effect.

"And I was going to boost the windbreak a little further," he agreed with a return smile. "I'll see you back in town later. Farewell for now!" He continued on his own path as Loren turned away, heading for the edge of the fields and the evergreens planted there to block the wind.

~Finished~