The Witch and the Shield
For Amalia
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Age: 30 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 14 - Int:
MORTICIA - Mythical - Cat Sith (Soul Stroll)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
DELPHIA
Devas Bakery.

Apparently this was where the prolific baker lived, the Shield of Safrin, named by Vi but beloved by the goddess of the night sky. Delphia stood outside it for a moment, simply enjoying the lovely smell wafting from it. She didn’t often have baked goods but she loved them. Sweets in general she enjoyed immensely. That one of Safrin’s chosen was a baker? Well, if baking was a trait of those under Vi, then it was no wonder Mort loved him so much.

She stepped into the bakery without much ado, steely eyes immediately scanning the shelves filled with warm, fresh treats. Ooh, she hoped she could get her hands on one once business was attended to! ”Hello? Is Amalia, Shield of Safrin here?” she called across the counter, hoping the woman was in her shop…or at the very least someone who could sell her a pastry.

She could always come back to see Amalia again…and procure another treat while she was at it.
Death has nothing to do with going away
the sun sets and the moon sets
but they're not gone
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the shield of safrin
It seems there is to be no end of people seeking her out.

As the voice rings through the shop Amalia briefly entertains the thought of simply slipping out the back, avoiding the inevitable difficulty and responsibility that comes with being Safrin's Shield. How easy would it be to shift and disappear, fly into the rafters and wait for the woman she does not know to leave? Easier, certainly, than another conversation where her morals are questioned and her resolve strained. Easier than recounting the sins of the Voice, justifying her dislike for the being.

Easier, but not better, and certainly not fair. Amalia asked for this responsibility. Who would she be, to shrug it off when it did not suit.

Steeling herself against the inevitable, the girl steps out from behind the wall, her expression softened by a mild smile. "Ah... that's me. Amalia." As she speaks Jyoti appears from upstairs, coming to float beside her bonded. The baker scratches the whale's back gently as the little cetacean eyes the stranger curiously, bubbling starlight and song. Wiping her hands upon her apron, the Shield comes to a rest behind her counter. "How can I help you, ah...?"
someday we'll find what we're looking for
or maybe not
maybe we'll find something much greater
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Age: 30 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
DELPHIA
First appeared a young woman, beautiful, a bit shorter than herself – though few females weren’t. Delphia smiled warmly at her. But before she could speak, a starwhale of all things appeared. She gasped, staring in surprise and awe. ”Oh, what a beautiful young starwhale! I’ve never seen one so close!” she said breathlessly, face alight with near childlike wonder. That she was so close, that the young creature had fallen from its natural path meant it was now doomed to a mortal existence did not bother her as it might others. Death wasn’t a sad thing in her eyes after all. She lifted a hand as if to reach out for the creature, but stopped herself, dropping her hand. Creatures of light rarely liked her presence, so closely affiliated with death as she was. ”How fitting the shield of the stars is blessed with such a glorious companion.” Delphia said, smiling at Amalia again.

Oh, but she had asked her a question. Sort of. It was implied. ”My apologies, I am just…star struck.” she said with a hint of a smile at the joke, glancing briefly at the starwhale again. ”My name is Delphia. I am the daughter of Mort. Ludo told me that the chosen of Safrin might have knowledge about some souls I seek.” she said.
but they're not gone
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Jyoti's presence instantly eases Amalia, and the Shield cannot help but smile as her companion responds to this stranger's delight with equal curiosity and wonder. Perhaps it is her presence here, bound to the mortal coil, which keeps the creature from withdrawing from Delphia; perhaps she is simply friendly and kind. For whatever reason Jyo pushes forward against the deimgoddess even as she drops her hand, instinctively drawn to this individual who reminds her so much of the heavens and sky.

Amalia's smile, meanwhile, shifts to distinct embarrassment at the continued use of her appointed title. Pushing a lock of hair behind her ear, the girl chuckles awkwardly. But if Delphia is star struck it is nothing compared to the awe and amazement which floods Amalia at the mention of the strange girl's heritage. Daughter of Mort... the baker blinks, utterly unable to hide her wonder. She has never met a child of a god before, though she knows them to exist; now one is standing in her shop, asking her for knowledge.

It leaves her dizzy for a moment.

"Ah- I- I've heard about you. That you were looking for, um, Safrin's... chosen. I assumed you meant Ronin." Not me. Running her hand anxiously up her arm, the baker blinks her large black eyes. "But if- if there's anything I can help you with, or tell you- I will, of course." There is no doubt or hesitation in her tone. Amalia has sworn to serve the gods; their progeny are merely an extension of their divine being.
or maybe not
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
DELPHIA
That the starwhale came right up to her for scritches made Delphia positively light up, a wide smile curving her lips. ”Indeed, look at you, the most majestic of creatures to sail through Safrin’s skies.” she said softly, lifting her hands to gently stroke along the side of Jyoti’s face. She was so content simply sitting there, nose to nose with the gentle starry giant, she did not notice any shock or awe that may have passed Amalia’s features. ”It is an honor to make your acquaintance, sweet one. Thank you for allowing me to pet you.” she said softly to Jyoti.

But her attention was pulled back to Amalia, her hands remaining on the starwhale, even if she could not look at her. ”Oh I am looking for him too.” she said with a smile and light laugh. ”But of course I meant you. You are Safrin’s Shield. You should not be so humble simply because there is a Fallen Star too.” she said encouragingly. But she was willing to give information, and that was a win in and of itself. ”I am looking for the souls of the Ascended that the Voice has hoarded away like a Cat Sith. I can send them to Mort, much the same as Ludo. I suspect they are in the Spire, but Ludo suggested I seek the council of the chosen of Safrin.”
but they're not gone
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Amalia's persistent anxiety only deepens as Delphia chides her for her humility, feeling less humble and more woefully undeserving and under-prepared for the amount of expectations placed upon her by this demigod. Half-smiling, half-speechless, she bows her head and looks away, unable to fathom how a daughter of Mort could possibly be in her store, asking her for help.

When she mentions the Voice, though, Amalia's expression falters, the slender face growing swiftly serious and she begins to worry her lip. Nodding, the baker regards Delphia, certain that this young demigoddess must know more than she possibly could. "Yes... Safrin said as much to me. And Ronin, too." Lost souls, trapped for who knows what purpose. It makes the girl shiver.

Amalia begins to move again, grabbing a risen loaf of bread and pressing it down with balled-up fists. The action soothes her; she finds herself steadied by her work. "I've been into the Spire a handful of times, now. It's... it's in disrepair. You would probably want someone with earth magic, and the ability to fly as an Attuned would be valuable..." She trails off thoughtfully, names springing to her mind.
or maybe not
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
DELPHIA
”Have you met the Voice?” Delphia asked, wondering if the Shield knew more of her than she herself did. There was little about the would-be-goddess that dared challenge her father and his kin outside of the Hollowed Grounds, and she was curious, just what sort of person she was. The topic had made her grow serious after all – was it simply because of what the Voice represented, or because she knew more than she let on?

Steely eyes watched as the baker worked the dough, fingers still stroking the sides of the starwhale lovingly. ”Do you know anyone with such abilities?” she asked, wondering if she needed to put out a notice for that as well. But soon enough her eyes fell back to the display of sweet, bready pastries. Were she a child she may have pressed her nose to the glass for how longingly she looked at them.
but they're not gone
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Amalia's expression falters at the question, her dark eyes swiftly leaving Delphia's pale ones. "I have," she admits, alto voice soft. "Twice. Once in the Antheneum, where someone made her a shrine, and once... once on the day she was released. I... I was the one who let her out from where she was trapped in the Underground." Guilt and remorse are clear in her face, a stinging anger at herself for the foolishness of youth. She knows she cannot hold herself wholly responsible, but in the end it was Amalia who said the words. It was she who answered the mirror's puzzle, and opened the gateway for all the chaos and darkness that followed in the months to come.

How will this daughter of Mort judge her for her sins?

It is only one of the reasons that she is reluctant to take responsibility now, to volunteer for the task Delphia is clearly gearing toward. Again and again her efforts have ended in disaster and disarray; again and again she has tried and failed to serve the gods, the world. There are so many others, so much more capable- "Remi Tallisen has those abilities," the baker says quietly, not looking up. "And Jigano Silversmith. Deimos Ignatius is a strong hybrid, too. They've all done favors for Ludo and Safrin before... and they've all been into the Spire before." With me, Amalia does not add, biting her lip and looking away. She can fly, yes, but so can countless others. And unlike the men she listed, her abilities end there.
or maybe not
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
DELPHIA
The demigoddess watched the baker in silence, all too familiar with the signs of remorse and guilt she displayed on her features and in her tone. Those who lived on in the wake of death too often looked just as Amalia did. But seemingly contrary to what the baker thought, Delphia was not one to rain down holy retribution on anyone. Her anger was not easily roused, nor was she cruel by nature. She embodied all that Mort made, love and warmth being primary.

"May I hug you?" she asked softly, not knowing how the baker would feel about contact. If she declined, she would remain where she stood, unpreterbed by her wish for distance. If not, Mort's daughter would wrap Amalia in a warm embrace, as though she were hugging a loved one she had not seen in many years. "It does not matter so much what you have done in the past, but what you do going forward. Vi teaches many lessons with sternness, through difficulty and struggle. Mort reminds us that our imperfections are what make us so beautiful and deserving of forgiveness and love to carry on. You've learned the lesson well, lest you would not have been bestowed such a name, and now I am giving you your reminder - forgive and love yourself, and carry on." she said gently.

As she listed the various men who might help, Delphia missed the fact that Amalia was trying to get out of this mission. "I should think it would be useful if they all came then. You and I will have our work cut out for us though, trying to herd that many men and souls." she said jokingly, a hint of a laugh in her voice.
but they're not gone
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Of all the things Amalia expected to have happen today, being asked May I hug you by a demigoddess does not even rank on the baker's list. All she can do is stare back blankly, color rising on her cheeks. "Um... yes?" the girl allows uncertainly, never one to say no to a deity (and in truth, not at all opposed to the offer so much as entirely taken aback). With a slight, awkward laugh she steps into Delphia's embrace, trying and failing to keep the lush fur from rising uncertainly on her shoulders and neck.

As the demigoddess lets go Amalia steps back, reaching up nervously to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. "Um... thank you," she says softly, earnest in her gratitude, if still a little bemused by the whole thing. It sounds like something she might have said to someone else, but Amalia will always hold herself to a standard apart from others she knows.

Her attempts to evade this responsibility are either ignored or disregarded by the demigoddess, causing Amalia to quirk a smile. "I suppose we will," she agrees softly, nodding her head. "I can speak to them if you like... and we can make a plan for the summer? And for today, please let me send you with whatever you like from the shop... I have fresh cinnamon rolls, and berry scones that should be ready soon."
or maybe not
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
DELPHIA
"You're welcome." Delphia said, affection clear in her words. Bemused as Amalia might be, such was the nature of the demigoddess. She did not seek to be anything more or less than what she was, and what she was was endlessly loving.

Though at the prospect of being sent home with treats? Well that sounded wonderful. She perked up, beaming in a near childlike manner that seemed entirely unsuited to her haunted features. "Ooh, I would love anything you'd like to give me! I love sweets." she said, beaming from ear to ear. With treats in hand, she would bid Amalia goodbye, excited to head home to enjoy her treats, already thinking about where she would keep the box the baker had packed the goodies in, so she would have something to remember this moment by.

-FIN
but they're not gone