power comes in many flavors
for Neron
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
after all is said and done
you're just a carnivore
let you in and drink my blood
you're nothing but a monster

There may not be a swagger in Wessex’s steps, but she does cross the Tundra’s path with confidence, a lightness in her step that wasn’t there when she crossed it the first time. Keeping a sharp eye out for Raiders and Ursurs and other things that go bump in the white, it is likely her speed which helps her cross it without incident. Trying not to stick out too much, the ex-Queen wears a fur cloak and full set of clothes, though the reality is that if anyone were to look closely enough, they would quickly see that she isn’t wearing half as much as a regular person.

She crosses through the Citadel walls and heads for the hard-to-miss Palace, glittering and tall and everything Zariah undoubtedly ever wanted in her life. Coming up to the main doors, she gives the guard her name and former position in the Grounds, skipping over the semantics for now. Once inside, they show her to wherever it is they receive people, and Wessex waits, pacing along the wall of the room and examining whatever may line its walls purely out of curiosity.

Oh, the trappings of money and addictions to shows of status and things she can’t imagine wasting time and effort on. Based on her surroundings, The Wraith can imagine how half this conversation will go - fortunately, her main interest lies in the other half, otherwise she would have left Rex to deliver the news.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
neron
The Wraith might well find herself surprised - whilst glittering and tall and everything expected of pomp and nobility, the interior of the Palace was more practical than elegant. The construction gave it some sense of lofty superiority, but warm fires, fur rugs and ample supplies of firewood would be more common than trinkets or paintings.

But maybe that was just true of the anteroom she was led into. Who knew?

Either way, the Warden of the Citadel appeared with only a few minutes of delay, dressed in his customary black (and also wearing, curiously, less than one might be considered the norm in a place like Halo) and with his fair hair wind tossed - evidently he had been up at some observation deck or battlement.

“Unexpected, but welcome all the same,” he said by way of a greeting, nodding politely to Wessex. “What might Halo do for you, Your Highness? I assume the lack of message beforehand to indicate that this is urgent?”
lay your hand on me, one last time

Coding base by Sky!
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

Turning at the sound of footsteps or an opening of a door, Wessex abandons her curiosity for the moment. Approaching the Warden from across the room with even, purposeful strides, she dismisses the honorific he uses with a small shake of her head. “Warden. Just Wessex.” It’s become a common refrain in the past couple of months. A small part of her will probably miss correcting people, but the other half will be immensely relieved at not needing to elaborate on the difference between royalty and leadership. Not that anyone ever really listened.

“Nothing urgent,” she agrees. No one’s been here yet, so they (they being the new pseudo-regime) must consider their newest neighbors to the North significantly less of a priority than she does. Foolish, in her eyes, but then they’d ultimately done an emotionally strong but logically foolish thing when they voted her out. “I bring news of changes in the Grounds.”
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
neron
Giving a small incline of his head to accept the informality of her first name, Neron clearly had not yet heard the news. (Then again in a place like Halo he absolutely wouldn't have done). Still, there would be time for that now, it appeared. "Wessex, then. I would offer you a drink but I feel that would be a little forward, given your nature." A small smirk - Neron had been learning about Ascended, at least.

Offering her a seat, he moved to take one himself, sinking down into it and regarding her with a raised eyebrow. "Go on," he invited. "I would hear more of these changes."

Coding base by Sky!
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

Wessex shrugs at the offer. “Don’t abstain on my account,” she says with a knowing tone. “It’s probably one of the few things I miss,” although if she’s being brutally honest with herself, it’s probably a good thing she could no longer get drunk. How many decisions would she have made that way, for purely selfish or petty reasons? How many drinks would she have wanted in the middle of the day, when the bitch of ruling started to grate on her nerves? No, if Neron wants to drink in his own home, let him.

Sitting at the invitation, Wesex leans back and relaxes in to the chair. “I’ve traded mortal powers for divine ones. Stepped down as Queen and now answer only to The Voice.” Thinking that Neron is someone who would appreciate getting straight to the point, the former Queen continues. “My Ascended sister, Rexanna is the current leader and is organizing a council or something. I’m sure the group will be insufferable.”

But you know what? It’s not her problem anymore, which her attitude clearly projects.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
neron
As Wessex spoke, Neron flashed her an indulgent smile and nodded, promptly sitting up to pour himself a glass of mulled wine. He proceeded to sip at the drink, relaxing back into his seat. "I would likely miss it too, in your position. Still, it sounds as though the trade-off has been beneficial to you." And then some, it turned out. Raising his eyebrows and sitting to attention at the mention that Wessex had stepped down and that it was not, in fact, the Queen of the Hollowed Grounds speaking with him, Neron ran a slow thumb across his cup and regarded the Ascended with an expression that gave very little away.

"A shame," he remarked - whether he truly thought so or whether it was mere politeness would always be a mystery. "I had quite thought our alliance suited the both of us in terms of personality, at the very least." A sharp smirk; obviously he meant their equally cold nature, not that it had been given a chance to thaw on either side. And it never would, now.

"Thank you for telling me. I shall extend an invitation to your sister Ascended in due course. It would be best to ensure that she is as aware as you were about Halo's situation and customs." And the whole tribute thing. That too. Yes.

Coding base by Sky!
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

There are numerous trade-offs she made, and almost all of them have ended up being beneficial to her. The few regrets she keeps tucked close to her heart - they would never see the light of day in a Launceleyn’s company. The ex-Queen simply nods with a little affirmative smirk. It has. it has, indeed. Both trade-offs.

Skipping over niceties, Wessex raises her eyebrows a tad. “They know. And if they didn’t listen, it’s their own fault.” Whether or not Neron meant to imply that she hadn’t informed her people of the conditions required of their presence in Halo. She’ll also refrain from warning him that Zariah was playing with fire by being in the Grounds without anything to trade. But hey, it’s not her problem to enforce anymore. She isn’t Queen. She isn’t in the militia. And the woman hasn’t tried to fuck her personal goals. So until then -

She doubts this will be the last the Warden sees of the Wraith.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
neron
Nodding his understanding, Neron forced himself to sit more comfortably in his seat, sipping at his wine and regarding the woman before him. Formidable, certainly - and it would be a true shame, that he would not be able to find out more about her through the lens of rulership. Having walked the snows alongside her, Neron was no fool, and he would much prefer to keep on Wessex's good side. She had already shown that she was capable of keeping on his own.

"Then I will make the necessary arrangements with your successor, and go from there." He turned a faint smile on the Wraith. "In the meantime, Halo still welcomes you and the Citadel protects you behind its humble walls. Stay as long as you like."

As she has said - it will likely not be the last they see of each other.

All the better for Neron.

Coding base by Sky!
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

Oh, Neron would likely find out more about her, but it would be from a very different lens. Wessex idly wonders if the next time they meet will be so cordial - icy, yes, but she recognizes the world the Launceleyn’s come from, now. There’s the unfailing politeness when the time calls for it, but there is no warmth. The Warden is as cold as the land he rules - chiseled jawline made for the jutting peaks of the Fangs and no-nonsense mannerisms perfect for the stark life-and-death stakes beyond the Citadel.

Rexanna will likely be just fine.
The others, she hopes will annoy him to no end.
Particularly the bard. If the ex-Queen can read anything about Neron, she doesn't see his relationship with Jigano being a good one.

She nods, an equally small smile present. “Thank you, Warden.” A brief pause, while she considers something that seems almost far away. And then it’s gone, cards once again held to her chest. “If you should need anything - I can be found with a little effort. Until next time.”

The impulse is cheeky, but also quite deliberate. The Wraith gives a little mock salute of her fingers before disappearing as-is, relaxed form and all, from the chair.