Teachings of the Divine
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
I believe that the darkness reminds us where light can be
”Will Frey show up this time?” Rhett asked, carrying his offering of pears carefully with two hands.

”I don’t know, sweetie, they might. They are very busy so it is a blessing when they do appear.” Phoebe said gently, patting his head, her own basket of fruits and honeysuckle tucked in her elbow.

”Will they like my tarts?” Jax asked, a big grin on his lips, holding the plate filled with rather lopsided peach tarts that, while hideous, had been made with enthusiastic childish energy.

”Oh yes, I am certain they will.” she said with a smile at him.

Cormac was already at the shrine, his offering of apples placed down next to Pim’s piece of wood that he had shot with lightning, leaving a very interesting pattern in its wake. The boy was bouncing on his heels, full of energy with no good outlet for it.

Once all of the offerings were placed on the shrine, Phoebe and Pim corralled the boys to stand in a line and got their little chubby hands clasped to pray. ”Thank you, Frey for helping everything grow!” they all said in unison – or something to that effect anyways, they were six, Phoebe wasn’t going to demand perfection from them. That would be a practice in futility.

”If you would spare me some of your time, I’ve a question for you.” Phoebe said, hoping her friend might appear. It had been a very long time since she had seen them.
phoebe

Coding base by Sky!

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
there's no innuendos,
it's exactly what you think
"When don't you?" The deity asked with a lazy smile. For Phoebe they would appear as the chisled and strong figure they often were (though with far less of Loren's characteristics as of this moment), though for the triplets they would be clothed and heroic looking, the idealized version of who the boys might grow up to be.

Giving the boys a dry look, Frey knelt to take the tarts, apples, and pears offered by a trio. Their gaze would like ominous as any storm might, until it broke entirely as they quickly consumed the offerings with god-like zeal. "A worthy offering. Your lives shall be spared. This time." Said like any comic book villain might so that the boys might have fodder in their retellings of this encounter, they straightened and looked towards Phoebe.

"It had better not be able the blight." They said, half sensually-joking, half-serious.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe smiled broadly when her friend appeared, laughing lightly as they teased her. ”Well, I know you don’t like your time wasted so as much as I’d love to sit and chat over tea, I try to make sure to have something of substance to discuss.” she said, allowing the warmth and pleasure of being in Frey’s presence wash over her. The boys stared up at the god in awe, blue eyes wide and jaws open slightly. ”These are my nephews, Cormac, Rhett, and Jax.” she introduced, gesturing to them. It wasn’t really necessary for Frey but the boys were still learning basic manners. ”Boys, this is Frey.”

”You’re so awesome!” Cormac said, bouncing on his heels as he gazed up at the muscular warrior, garbed in the most magnificent armor with a sword like Krosis on his hip, and long blonde hair with a full beard like their father had had (so yes, Frey looked like Thor pretty much). ”And you’ve got glasses too!” Rhett said with a big grin, his version of Frey very much like Cormac’s but bespectacled like himself. Jax on the other hand didn’t see a thunder-god like person, but someone warm, and friendly in a flour covered apron and very fancy hat. ”I got a tummy too!” Jax said with a gleeful laugh, patting his chubby belly, which Jax-Frey also had.

”He doesn’t have a tummy, it’s all flat.” Rhett corrected.

”Yeah, he does, look, it’s right there!” Jax said, and walked right up and gently poked Frey’s belly. Six-year olds and boundaries were not well acquainted.

Phoebe sighed and shook her head, giving Frey an apologetic smile, jumping in before things got out of hand. ”Boys, Frey looks different to everyone. Sometimes they are a boy, sometimes a girl, sometimes they have a tummy and sometimes they don’t. They shape-shift.” she said, explaining in terms they could understand, which elicited a collective ’woah’ from the gaggle. ”And Jax, what have I said about poking people?” she said, a bit more sternly, to which the young chubby boy quickly responded by apologizing to the god.

But Frey liked their offerings which made their little chests all swell with pride. ”No, no, nothing about the blight.” Phoebe said with a light laugh. ”I am working to make medical advancements but…cadavers leave something to be desired.” she said. They decomposed quickly and the people they were had died for a reason, leaving them less than perfect specimens to understand how the body worked – and that was if people would let the College have them in the first place. ”I wondered if perhaps there was a way to…make better samples – like a plant I could grow that produced intact bodies we could use for study.” she said, hoping the explanation made sense.
phoebe

Coding base by Sky!

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
there's no innuendos,
The deity nodded. It hadn't escaped them that Phoebe would like nothing more than to wile away the hours in their presence, chatting, drinking, simply being, but such mortal pleasures and pastimes were beyond Frey and always would be.

Posing in various dramatic stances as the boys took them in, they paused and waited as Phoebe explained away the varying degrees of their appearance. Frey didn't shapeshift, but it wasn't worth correcting. Likely Phoebe knew the correct way to describe it and had simply thought it all too complicated for the trio.

"Like a heartbeat?" The muttered, lips quirking upwards slightly with amusement. However as Phoebe finished, Frey was left staring at her with hard and narrowed eyes. For a long moment they were silent, their mind considering the implications and effects that this might have.

"A plant. That grows bodies. For research." Frey repeated, thinking that this was something they expected the latest demi-god twins to be asking for, not the kind-hearted midwife.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Indeed, Phoebe understood the more intricate and intimate nature of Frey's various appearances. But if she actually tried to explain that to her nephews, they'd be there all day. Especially with Rhett's inquisitive nature. No, for now shapeshifting was a close enough explanation, a concept they grasped. Frey changed appearances which is why Rhett didn't see a chunky belly and Jax did.

Frey's joke did make Phoebe laugh though. "While a heartbeat would be interesting to observe, I am not certain it could count as a cadaver then...and I'd probably be in trouble for manslaughter." she said, shaking her head. But the look on Frey's face, and the tone of their voice as they repeated back her words did unsettle her a bit. "Well...maybe it's stupid but...yes. Something like that." she said, clasping her hands in front of her legs. "I...I want to...I need to understand how our bodies function. It's the only way we can advance and grow and..." Phoebe bit her lip before smiling at Frey apologetically. "I'm sorry I lied a little bit...because I am only thinking along this path because of the blight. I was useless to you. I could barely understand how a cell worked much less predict how it would affect a body I only sort of understood, or how it was spread, or how to isolate it...much less whatever the Voice did to make it..."

The midwife sighed and shook her head. Unlike the times before when she thought on her failures, she did not speak of the Blight with the same sort of dismay. No, this had lit a fire under her, giving her a purpose. "We have to start somewhere. And if I'm basing things on half decomposed, disease ridden bodies, nothing will be right. Hence...the body plant."
phoebe

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
there's no innuendos,
"Worried about a little trouble, are you?" Frey grinned, brows raised as they folded their arms across their chest. Listening as Phoebe went on, the deity didn't blink nor indeed offer much of any sort of expression that would help the midwife gauge what it was they were thinking.

"Sounds like you're looking to put me out of a job, sweet lips." They chuckled eventually. "Why bother with any of that at all?" It was a rhetorical question, but Frey shrugged just the same. "So you want a plant..that grows bodies..but you want what's grown to be basically  an actual body, because if it wasn't, you wouldn't learn the right sorts of things. Pausing, they considered. "Well you certainly aren't going to get that. The last thing this world needs is the Voice getting a hold of soul-less cadavers that she can twist into new little denizens of her madness. What I can do is have plants that just grow parts...you want to study the lungs? Sure. It'll grow you a plant-body with real lungs. Study the heart? Grow one on a stalk."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe laughed a little and nodded. ”I am more of a rule follower than breaker, I admit.” she said with a light shrug. But the implication that followed – that she was trying to put Frey out of a job – left her gazing up at them in horror. M-me? Replace you? Oh, never! I couldn’t ever replace you! I-I couldn’t and wouldn’t ever wish to or try to…!” but Frey laughed and it dawned on her panicked mind that her friend had been teasing her. She sighed in relief, still shaking her head slightly. The thought of replacing Frey would never have crossed her mind on her own, and to have it presented to her made her immediately shy away. She wished to help Frey, not replace them.

She nodded slowly as Frey described what she asked for, and listened carefully as they described the compromised plant they were willing to give. She considered the pros and cons of it for a moment. Though it would be useful to see how the organs all interacted together in the body, she could probably find a way to see that in someone alive (maybe one of those machines that could take pictures of the inside like Sunjata had talked about?), and as far as practicing operating on the body as a whole, cadavers would work just fine of that, and these individual organs would do as well. She smiled brightly at Frey and nodded. ”That would be brilliant! We could learn so much with a plant like that!” she said, a hint of excitement in her voice.
phoebe

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
there's no innuendos,
Frey was so easy to scramble and though it had been tiresome in the beginning the deity was beginning to regard her with the beginnings of actual fondness. She'd be gone in the blink of an eye they knew, but for now, she represented a rather interested subset of humanity. One that still seemed rather good and pure.

As Phoebe agreed, the deity nodded. "A few things then. Find someone with summoning magic...and kill the thing they've summoned. Knowing what it takes to kill something is a fundamental aspect of knowing how to keep it alive. " This was said in a whisper, so that the boy's would not hear.

"Seeds collected from three different regions, and soil magically-created."

For her quest Phoebe needs to kill a summoned animal, must bring back seeds from three different regions (Halo, Hollowed Grounds, Greatwood, or other lands depending on how long this takes her :P) and magically created soil (mastered-earth magic made)
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
The already naturally pale midwife paled further at the implication of the first task. Healing and preventing death were her usual goals – killing being reserved for times of desperate defense and survival. But killing just to…to see? Her natural instinct was to revolt against it, to resist the task altogether. But…she knew Frey would not ask her to do something if she had nothing to learn from it. They asked her to do so because she needed to grow…and sometimes growing was uncomfortable. So she nodded slowly to their words, accepting that task, even if she wished not to.

The other two tasks? Well that would be simple enough (except maybe finding seeds in Halo, but surely something had to grow there.) ”Alright. I will see to it that these things are done. Thank you for your help.” she said, smiling at her chosen deity adoringly. Though they had set out quite the task for her, they didn’t need to either. That they were willing to help her get what she needed to further her research was a blessing in and of itself.
phoebe

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
there's no innuendos,
Whatever Frey saw rippling across Phoebe's face in response to their quest, they gave no indication of judgement.

With a nod they reached out, taking Phoebe's cheeks within their palms and placing a kiss to her forehead. It brought with it all the normal warmth and sensual pulses that contact with Frey did, but the deity hummed a reassuring note against the midwife's skin before pulling away and disappearing into a shower of flower petals.

~FIN