I call out ‘Stay Awhile!’
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
”Thank you,” Jigano murmured with a half-bow for the kind offer. He hoped that he would be seeing more of Tarasha, and soon, and they might be able to tell him more about the friends he was less certain of finding unless they sought him out, or the Greatwood took particular pity on him. Tarasha’s mention of the cold quirked the bard’s lips a little higher, however, and he nodded agreement. ”Unless you have a form that’s furred or scaled enough to help overcome it, it’s a harsh place to visit without reason. All barren snow and ice. There’s a harsh beauty to it… but it makes even the Hollowed Grounds seem like a garden bursting with life in comparison.” And Tarasha could well see how sickly the Grounds were next to the Greatwood, just across the barrier scar. He paused then tilted a grin at his new acquaintance. ”Besides, you’d have to wrap up and hide all of your beautiful art!”

Isuma bounced back up into the air, fluttering down to play among the flowers they had planted and Jigano gave Tarasha a reassuring nod as he grinned at her antics, her pale head bobbing up into view amidst the flowers before disappearing beneath their colorful blooms again. ”Not many Loreseekers are terribly research-oriented among the books,” he admitted with a chuckle. ”But we seek all sorts of lore, so that’s fine. We count explorers and adventurers among our numbers, as well as experimenters with magic and other things. Sometimes we find things in books that are incomplete and we try to recreate them through trial and error. Everything we learn is worth recording and passing along to others, or simply to future generations,” he added with a grin. ”The Atheneum is one of the largest buildings in the human settlement at the center of the Hollowed Grounds. It has a round dome, and one side has been recently repaired. There are no other buildings like it.” With those directions Tarasha should be able to find it easily, he hoped.

”I make it as quick and painless for them and for me as possible,” he offered the strikingly-tattooed Fae with wry assurance. ”But the festival will celebrate life, and Frey and Rae in particular. I do hope you can find a few hours to come by! …Tell me, Tarasha, do you like riddles?” he asked slyly, a mischievous twinkle in blue eyes.
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Age: 118 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

”Of course.” I simply raise an eyebrow at the bow, the formality of it, even in a half measure, unfamiliar to me. It’s not like I’ve done anything yet, after all. But I let the bard have his moment, and make a note of the names he’d asked after, so I can look into them later. The description of Halo has my nose wrinkling, distaste i do not bother to try and hide, no matter how at odds it is with Jiganos wry smile. ”How grim sounding.” I say, trying to keep my voice light. ”I’m glad I decided to visit our closer neighbours first.” A smile comes back to my face as the topic comes back here, specifically to me, and my art. ”I didn’t expect any here-“ I gesture towards the Hollowed Grounds, ”-to appreciate it.”

Isuma leaves me, bounding into the rash of flowers that have grown, and I smile along with her master as I watch her, meeting his eyes as he begins to talk about his guild more. ”Well, I might fit in better than I thought then, hmm?” I can’t stifle the laugh that comes from me, like bells. ”I will have to come and visit. See for myself some of the things you do. But it does sound... intriguing.” I stroke my chin then, a half joking gesture that’s more for my benefit than his. ”I think I will have much to share. The memory of the Greatwoods folk runs deep, deeper than most books. I know my mother remembers a time before the barrier existed!” Though I’ve only just realized I’ve never asked her about it, and she’s never shared much, preferring to stay in the moment.

”A festival for Frey and Rae? Why didn’t you start with that?” I shake my head, a smile still bright on my face. It was all the convincing I needed. ”I will be there.” Then, a slyness crosses his face, reminding me of a fox, of all things. ”I’m not sure there is a fey alive who doesn’t enjoy riddles. It’s the closest we can get to lying you know.” I say this encouragingly, angling for the point of the question, excited about what he could be getting at.

Tarasha
They are neither pink nor pale;
And they will never be all mine;

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"As am I!" he declared with a grin at Tarasha's decision to come meet the Grounders before the Halovians. "And it's true that those who live here spend so much time trying just to survive that there is little time for art and play... but there is still some." His smile softened as he looked back over the Outskirts, greening with Flowerbirth's beauty but still drab compared to what lay across the barrier scar. "And there have been many Outlanders arriving who come from worlds where art and music and color were more akin to the Greatwood than the Hollowed Grounds. They miss those pieces of home and would appreciate your talents, I think." He certainly did, admiring how striking the colors looked against Tarasha's skin and caught the light.

Isuma was hunting for bugs, but the new-grown flower field didn't have any new residents yet. It made for a funny sight as she scampered through the blooms and popped her head up from time to time to look around above them, little feathered brow furrowed in comical consternation. Jigano winked at Tarasha's teasing, grin widening in delight at the lovely, musical laugh. "I will be looking forward to seeing you there," he assured them with a chuckle of his own for Tarasha's playfulness. His humor faded to eager curiosity as they continued, however, and he nodded emphatically. "We could use such information desperately," he agreed. "We don't know why, but no histories of the time before the barrier rose have been found in the Atheneum. The gods have dropped a few hints and broad strokes here and there, but anything you can share with us of the Fae's records of that time would be very helpful." He tilted his head with his wry smile returning. "Perhaps we can even exchange books? Eliza told me about the Undercroft. Maybe your people would be willing to make copies of some books there to share with us, if we reciprocate in turn? You could choose which books in the Atheneum you'd like copied, too." Since he doubted Delah would have interest in such things, or would want to come so deep into the Hollowed Grounds.

Ah, but Fiat Lux proved an even more intriguing draw, and Jigano laughed aloud at Tarasha's interest. "I look forward to it! And the Loreseekers will be hosting a riddle game for those brave enough to enter," he added with a wink. 'The closest we can get to lying' though? That was a fascinating turn of phrase that Jigano tucked away to study later. He hadn't realized the Fae had some prohibition against lying. "I look forward to trading riddles with you soon, then," he declared, a bit of a challenge in his mischievous grin. "Perhaps we can play for flower seeds?" He was intrigued as to what plants Tarasha got their inks from, and whether they could be used to color parchment as well as skin.
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Age: 118 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:

”Well I suppose I can’t blame them too much then. If their lives have been as difficult as you say, then I suppose anyone would choose simply surviving over living.” I realize belatedly that my words could come off as rude, but I have no idea how to make it come out better. I just try to move on quickly, leaning in to focus more closely on my new acquaintance. ”You’re an outlander aren’t you? You don’t... look like what is expect from a natural.” Though I have been surprised before, I’m fairly confident saying this.

Isuma is a mighty hunter, and I watch her fruitless attempts through the new flower patch, mostly with a quiet interest but sometimes with a handful of giggles as well. I lean towards her master, showing he has my attention though my eyes are still on the field, watching for the gryphlet. ”I’ll make sure I don’t keep you waiting too long then.” I joke, already planning to find the Atheneum on my next visit. Or... the one after that, since my next one will be the festival. That should give me enough time to talk with my family as well, to gather up some stories to offer the guild, stories that will hopefully slake some curiosities. ”I wonder why they would hide something like that. Isn’t the easiest way to prevent someone from doing something giving them all the information?” Obviously the gods want to avoid another incident like the barrier going up. I don’t even consider anything else. The idea of swapping books does give me some pause, a rumour floating up from the back of my mind. ”I think... someone already asked about trading books? One of yours, a uh... grounder, I mean. I don’t think Delah liked the idea.” Then I pause, frowning as I think about it more. ”Or maybe she was simply upset the request came while the borders were closed?”I shrug. ”I don’t see an issue with copies though. Perhaps... I can ask for some kind of exception, and bring you to see the Undercroft for yourself?” it’s not a promise, but something else I can look into. I’m starting to get excited by the idea, and I have to stop myself. Nothing is set in stone yet.

”Those brave enough to join eh?” I repeat, a glint in my eye. ”That sounds like a challenge. Will you be hosting it?” I’ve always loved a challenge, a trait that’s both a blessing and a curse. I won’t step down from something, but I can also be very easily manipulated into it. And Jigano seems to know exactly how to make the idea that much more enticing, offering seeds as betting chips. ”I would love to play with you, when we get the chance. Though you should stock up on seeds, so I don’t take your entire supply when I win!”

Tarasha

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Tarasha spoke only the truth and Jigano took no offense at their putting more bluntly what he had tried to couch in more poetic language. No matter how it was phrased, it was the unfortunate reality of the situation. He did grin at her assumption, however, nodding easily. "I am, indeed. I've only been here for bit under a year and a half." Though that year had been packed with more love and loss than the last five years he had spent on his own world.

Tarasha's teasing promise and thoughtful question were met with a grin and a sigh, respectively. Jigano followed their gaze to watch Isuma playing in the flowers as he gave a small shrug. "To you and I that might seem wise," he agreed. "But who can say what the gods think? It's something to ask, perhaps, when next a prayer is answered. I suspect it's mostly that they wish us to discover the answers for ourselves; they aren't here to live our lives for us, after all." Except for the Voice, that is. She seemed far more intent on meddling and directing the lives of her 'children' than any of the Old Gods.

"Probably Amalia," he chuckled at the mention of trading books. "We do have some special ones, ones Safrin led us to, that might be safer in the Sidhe Village. But, yes, that was when the borders were closed so I can see Delah being reluctant to break her rules - or ours." Not necessarily out of respect for the Grounders, but out of a desire to avoid the messiness a war would entail if Wessex got pissy about her power being thwarted. The offer to take him to the Undercroft, though... the bard's eyes lit up, an expression of a kid on Christmas Fiat Lux flashing briefly across his features. "Would you? I know it's a long shot but... thank you, Tarasha. I would appreciate it, and I would trade much for the chance just to see it! After hearing about it second-hand, it seems almost a mythical place," he admitted with a self-conscious laugh. The draw of knew knowledge, new books and tales and histories, had been an itch under his skin since Eliza had told him of it a year ago. Maybe some day...

"Alas, one of our newer recruits, Loren, will be hosting," Jigano said, pressing a hand in teasing sorrow to his breast. "But I will happily engage you in such a contest at the time and place of your choosing!" He grinned and offered the Fae a wink as Isuma peeped a final cry of defeat and fluttered up from the flowers to rejoin them, her white fur gone yellow with pollen. Jigano sneezed as she alit on his shoulder, laughing at both her mess and Tarasha's confidence. "Rest assured, I shall! Though I don't think you'll find me such easy prey," he warned back between chuckles, gently trying to push Isuma's face away as she chortled and tried to rub her head against his cheek, enjoying this new 'game.'
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Change author:

A bit under a year and a half is a frankly minuscule amount of time, and it’s clear I’m surprised by the fact as he says it, my eyes widening slightly. ”You carry yourself well for someone who has only been here a moment.” I compliment, returning his grin. It must have taken work to grow so familiar with the world, a dedication one rarely saw. It’s a thing to be appreciated.

I sigh, and nod my agreement to Jiganos statement about the gods. On the small scope, it all seems so unfair, being a pawn in a game that might never see play, but I suppose the gods don’t look at things on the small scale. It’s a wonder they even deign to answer the rare prayer they do, that they even come close enough to mortality to grow fond of a chosen few. ”I suppose you’re right. Though it makes it difficult to live a life under their guidance though. All we do is guess at their desires, and pray for more insight.”

Amalia sounds like it could be right, but really it’s a moot point, and I have no way to confirm or deny the suggestion anyway, so I simply shrug. ”What sorts of special books were you gifted?” I ask, curious. Then, he lights up so much I almost feel as if I am looking at an entirely different man. I didn’t think my offer would inspire such a reaction, and yet... ”All I can do is ask.” I tell him, not wanting his hope to rise only to be dashed against denial. ”I will do what I can though, try and offer trades and such to help the idea.” I am excited about it myself, to show off something so close to my heart, my home, to someone who can understand the gravity of the gesture.

”Ahh, too afraid for a public competition?” I tease, leaning in with a cocky smile. I hope my tone is not taken too seriously, and keep everything else light despite it. ”I will have to prepare myself before we enter into a competition though.” Isuma returns to her partners shoulder, flecked with pollen and completely derailing my previous teasing. Unlike Jigano however, I have no problems reaching out to stroke her, staining my own hands with the pollen, and unintentionally sprinkling it over the bard white clothing.

Tarasha

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"You are too kind," he murmured, eyes twinkling at their different perceptions of time. Luckily Jiao had told him something of Fae ages, comparable to the elves of his own world, and he took the words as the compliment they had been intended as. Alas, talk of gods was a far more solemn topic, the mischief fading to a more sober contemplation of the mysteries of the divine.

"On the other hand, it gives us a chance to live our own lives, to make our own mistakes and learn and grow from them," he countered with a smile. "I would rather have free will and the freedom to choose than be caught like a fly in amber, with my fate pre-determined and my choices limited by some puppeteer pulling my strings and directing my actions to suit their own will." Like certain New Gods he could mention... but that was neither here nor there, and he refused to darken such a lovely day with her name.

Besides, the mention of book and libraries he had yet to visit was far more captivating, and Isuma chirruped excitedly at her companion's eagerness. "I don't know if we were 'gifted' them," he admitted with a wry smile. "But I led the group who found them, and they are rather... unique. The Fae might be better suited to watch over them, truth be told. At least some of the books are Sentient, or cousins of the Sentient Books. One on portals, one on sharks that came alive and tried to eat me, and another with a question mark on the cover that we didn't get to open before Amalia tried to take the Portal Book out of the cavern it was stored in, and was transported to the portal in the Spire. Those who were with her tried to follow, and were separated. Some went to that portal, while myself and a friend's unicorn were sent to the Mathair. There were others on the shelves that we didn't get to see more of," he admitted with a pang of yearning in his voice. "But... their magic is clearly old and strong." He shook his head ruefully, looking at Tarasha again with gratitude. He nodded at their offer, asking nothing more, but glad that he had met another Fae who was kind and curious and shared a love of books with him.

"Oh, we can make it as public as you like," he teased back. "An open riddle duel in the Sanctuary square! But since I provided some of the riddles for the Fiat Lux game it wouldn't be fair for me to participate in that one," he admitted with a grin. He bent down a little at Isuma's imperious trill so Tarasha could more easily reach her for scritches, grin turning rueful at the pollen that dusted his shoulder and chest now. "I think this little one will insist on seeing you again, though," he chuckled. "The sooner the better!"
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Change author:

Gods were such a strange subject. It’s one I enjoy, at least in theory, but... I can’t necessarily disagree with Jigano. ”It’s a thin line we must walk. Part destiny and part free will.” I smile, and shrug lightly, not focusing too hard in my words. It brings up a lot of bad memories anyway. ”I appreciate the pace to make my own choices, but I also appreciate not being left completely alone.”

{aay}”Isn’t being led to them the same as being gifted?” I point out, excited as the bard is, but confused that this is where he chooses to draw the line. ”To be led to something by the shimmering lady is as good as being gifted it from her hands.” I am very interested in the books he describes though, especially, of course, the mystery one. It’s more than enough motivation to have half formed plans running through my head, wondering how I could possibly appeal to Delah. ”I have never heard of anything like that. It sounds... amazing.” There is a hint of jealousy in my voice, but I move past it, as quickly as I can.

”If were going to have a contest, I’ll have to start working on my riddles, wont I?” As I banter back, I lean to to pluck some of the flowers we’ve grown, stowing them in the bag before I flutter my wings, lifting myself off the ground. ”I’ll be sure to visit you soon, story finder.” I promise, keeping Jigano in view while I meld back into the shade of the trees, smiling all the while.

Done

Tarasha