Where do I go from here?
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
M
 A
  E
   A
I talked to God to no avail

Said, "If you won't save me, please don't waste my time."

It was definitely a drawback to the otherwise so flawless design the Voice had created. Maea tucked the little tidbit of information into the back of her mind, to recall later should it be necessary. She had similar problems with the sun, of course, but those were all because of her pale skin and white hair; she just didn't adapt to it, no matter how many hours she spent outside. Yet it wasn't life-changing, just inconvenient... and now that her eyes no longer failed her it was like having a bad knee or a dislike for rain.

Smiling at the comet shooting through her miniature constellation, Maea kept up the game as they talked. It was a guilty pleasure, using the gift; her father had been stern about using it for anything but the most dire of circumstances, and Maea had followed the restrictions even after he passed.

"I don't think they can," she said. "Ludo asked me once if I would be willing to give up my magic if I could... if I would change my nature. But though I said yes, it said it wasn't possible. The Voice too told me that our magic leave imprints on the soul, that not even she could remove."

The little star droplets moved ever closer together on their path around the sun, joining one by one until the sun had a companion, a double made entirely of water. Maea thought of the secret she had shared with Jigano, of the nature of the woman sitting before her; the watery sun shifted form, became a butterfly that flitted casually around the room.

"But even though even they can't change us, or remove the magic... Even if we live according to this nature of ours, they won't accept it. Us. Why? Because we supposedly don't need them as much as the others do, with the spark to help instead?" She wasn't sure she was going anywhere with this. It was only rhetorical questions, one Rexanna likely couldn't answer.

Maea sighed, feeling tired. Better than before, indeed, but... still weary, as if she could sleep a year. As if she'd already slept for all that time, and just couldn't wake herself up properly again.

I'm sorry for being so glum. Coming back... it's been rough. More than I expected."

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
in the right heaven-yellow light, anything could be
holy enough to save you
She listens as Maea tells her that Ludo said it hadn’t been possible, and she wonders what exactly she had been given by the Voice that could disable the magic if it were impossible to stop it permanently. Perhaps she’d have to activate it continuously, that it might grow exhausting, and if the Voice could create something like it then perhaps the gods could, but it was more work than it was worth.

Musings for another day, she supposes. She nods regardless. “Might be able to disable it somehow, at least for a time. I can.” A roll of her shoulders thoughtfully, fingers tapping briefly at her chin before her gaze tracks back on the magic between them and the butterfly that floats around the room. Her gaze returns to Maea as she muses a lot of questions that Rexanna can’t answer, but she can relate to far more than even she realizes.

Sometimes you don’t need their acceptance.” She shrugs lightly, thoughtfully. “You do the best with what you’re given, and if they deign to not see it, that’s on them in the end, is it not?” Another thoughtful suggestion before she settles in, tucking her legs beneath her on her old couch as Maea apologizes. “No need to apologize. It’s been a difficult year, and you’ve been dealing with your own things once you’ve come back.” She gives the girl a small nod. “But we are glad you’re back.” She gives Maea a bright fanged smile, that she is glad, the more people they learn about and see, who suddenly disappear, suddenly returning was always good news in her book.
REXANNA
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
M
 A
  E
   A
I talked to God to no avail

Said, "If you won't save me, please don't waste my time."

Humming in consideration, Maea returned the water to the glass where it belonged, and set the little sun trinket back down onto the table. To ignore the gods... It was a notion unheard of to her. Perhaps because of who she was, because of the inherent stigma, it was a way of dealing with it that she had never even considered. Not for herself. The deities - or rather, the absence of them - had always been such an integral part of her life and a foundation stone for everything that went on in the Hollowed Grounds. To just... go about her own business and care nothing for what they thought felt... empowering. Yet lonely, and very dangerous indeed. No doubt she could do it.

But... Maea knew that's not what she wanted.

"Well, I'm glad to be back, too. At least, I probably will be once I get the messy parts sorted out." Emptying the glass, Maea set it aside. She was no less tired, but with the headache gone and some of the weight lifted off her, she felt about ready to continue with the chores she'd set for herself that day.

"I'll be staying at the inn or the Loreseeker's Guild for now," she told Rexanna, sounding more business-like and less exhausted with each word. "If you need anything at all, as Queen or merely as Rex, I'd be happy to lend a hand however I can." Pushing her chair back, she was readying herself to leave. It had been a strange conversation, but pleasant indeed. Perhaps they'd get a chance to speak again at a later time - about less dire topics.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
in the right heaven-yellow light, anything could be
holy enough to save you
A small nod is given to Maea with a soft smile at the mention that she’s glad to be back as well. Of course, once the messier bits are taken care of. And Rexanna understands, deeply how that goes, how it had been for her a few times as well. But she says nothing on it, having already given her advice in the form of sticking with those that you know, the friends first and foremost that would welcome her easily until she was able to get back onto her feet.

Sounds like a plan.” She offers Maea at first, when the pale woman offers where she’s staying. A smile crossing her face as she goes to stand as Maea does – to continue on about her day as well. A slight incline of her head is given to the woman with an even brighter smile, thankful for the help as well in her own way. “Likewise, Maea. If I can help, please just reach out.” And once the other woman leaves, Rexanna gives a last look around the house that she’s let Clemente have, happy with the state of it all and the young man’s care and attention to detail with it, before she departs as well.

{FIN}
REXANNA